[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can modern day audiences and readers really not connect with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 15
Can modern day audiences and readers really not connect with him because of his morals alone? I always hear this excuse but it sounds absurd.
>>
No. It's because it takes a ton of imagination and creativity to write a character with his ethos and power set and most writers aren't up to it.
>>
>>78968968
Captain America has become pretty popular again, so... I don't think that excuse cuts it.
>>
>>78969308
>Captain America has become pretty popular again, so... I don't think that excuse cuts it.

He is a murderer with shit morals.
>>
>>78968968
I think it's all the other baggage he comes with
>>
>>78968968
>really not connect with him

Connect meaning what? Appreciate? Admire? Emulate? As >>78969308 points out, not necessarily so. However, >>78969371 and >>78969374 point to a lack of understanding of the true nature of the mythos (which is probably better explained although with way too many words in Supergods) which is part and parcel of a lot of what is wrong in popular culture today.

I think you need to ask better questions, however. Connect is way too open for interpretation and misunderstanding.
>>
>>78968968
You have to realize that this generation is so caught up in the meme of "you can do whatever you want" that living for the benefit of other people or even living in a way such that is not harmful to other people is a completely foreign concept.
>>
>>78971327

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.
>>
I think the problem is DC keeps trying to sell Superman is some troubled angsty savior figure instead of a nice guy who means to help or a rabble rouser who likes to bully bad guys

Too much Dr. Manhattan not enough Billy Batson
>>
>>78971827
It's true among the 19 - 25 bracket.
>>
>>78969371
>He is a murderer with shit morals.
Well, he DOES represent America after all.
>>
>>78969019
This is the 2nd time in a very small time period where I've seen the very first comment nail it.
>>
The silver age stories I've read have him barely as an understandable figure because of how alien he is
>>
>>78969019
Dan Jurgens was good when I was a wee lad but I heard that he sucks now. When did that happen? I really liked his take on Supes.
>>
>>78972102
His Convergence Superman was okay.
>>
>>78969308
>Captain America has become pretty popular again
And if you ask people about him they will say about his friendship with bucky and how much of bad ass with fights he is, people don't give a shit about Morals
>>
>>78971327
Without going into details, I work with hundreds of children ranging from age 6 to 13 and this lack of consideration for others is prevalent in all ages. At around age 8 they begin learning that most people in their life just don't give a fuck about each other for what ever reason. When you're raised by a smartphone and fed hot cheetos and ramen your whole life, an overwhelming sense of desperation settles in that makes the idea of putting other first foreign, like anon said. Its sad, but the most morality you'll find in the next generation is a fierce loyalty to their friends and family, and little else.

You know who kids like? Deadpool and Batman. Because they're petty, violent man-children who do what ever they want. The only kids who like Spider-man like him because hes funny, not because he values responsibility. The only kids who like The Flash or Superman are the jocks. Basically kids don't like superheroes because superheroes are good people, they like them because they're charismatic or power trips.
>>
>>78968968

He's unrelatable because he was born with godlike power, yet he deigns to say he knows what it means to be human. He will lecture to you that all life is precious. Well, it can sometimes be difficult to accept that when your life isn't nearly as magnificent as his, and when you're so weak to the point that the mere existence of certain beings endangers your life. When you know exactly the kind of terrible shit people are capable of.

He's a reminder that some people are just born great, and you never had a chance to match them. Take Batman for instance. He made himself the ultimate human. In order to become a force for good, he trains his entire life to be able to take on anything, choosing a hard life of discipline and pain over one of comfort, risking everything in the process. He spends his entire life mired in shadows to hide his vulnerability. It's cost him love, friendship, and happiness. But even then, at the end of the day he's just some guy, while Superman is something much more. It sucks, because I know what it's like to work your ass off for something, only to be found wanting.

Superman is stronger than you, faster than you, tougher, happier, smarter, kinder, handsomer, more loved. He's emotionally stable, driven, charismatic, always holds the moral high ground, he's saved the world countless times...he's just perfect.

I honestly don't hate the character, I hate my inability to enjoy or relate to him.
>>
>>78972563
Batman was born ludicrously wealthy which afforded him the opporunity to spend his life touring the world learning ninja shit and building rocket-cars, and Superman grew up on a farm and now works in a suit-and-tie job with a boss.

Powers are completely irrelevant, Clark Kent is the one I relate to more of the two, his life experiences outside of the tights are actually recognizable.
>>
>>78972563
This reminds me of Luthor's anti-Superman rant in All-Star Superman.
>>
File: 1367104446977.png (469 KB, 906x476) Image search: [Google]
1367104446977.png
469 KB, 906x476
>>78968968

You either like Superman or you don't, like any other superhero. A lot of times people say they don't like him for his personality or powers are just repeating what they saw someone else post on the internet.

Who cares? Enjoy the heroes you like. They wouldn't still be around if nobody liked them.
>>
>>78968968
>Can modern day audiences and readers really not connect with him because of his morals alone?

Movie supes? aka the Man of Murder?
His morals definitely fits well with modern US audience.
>>
>>78968968
>Can modern day audiences and readers really not connect with him because of his morals alone?

I can't connect with him because I see superman as a force of nature - some great force that I can't fathom or identify as a person because of the vast scale of trying to see him as 'human'.
For me, watching Superman is like watching Godzilla. They're both characters, but they're not what I'd consider as relateable because what they both do is beyond human.
>>
>>78968968

Relatability is retarded, I barely relate to Supes or Spidey but I enjoy them thoroughly. I don't relate to Black Manta at all but still like him.
>>
>>78972102
His Lois and clark is good.
>>
>>78968968
Superman to be relatable to modern teens would have to do the following:

>be not white (less than 40% of American teens are white, around 1/3)
>take selfies constantly
>watch/reference PewDiePie
>YOLO SWAG
>use drugs regularly
>have children with multiple women and have even more ex'es that had gotten abortions
>be an aspiring entertainer of some kind
>have a twitter

This literally describes over half of all Americans under the age of 20. They can't even FATHOM being a farmer from Kansas.

>>78971327
This is actually completely true.
>>
>>78968968
>being good guy
>can't connect with him
Yeah, we all deserve to be on Taliban rapetrains.
>>
Relatibility is retarded. But most current audience don't find him relatable only because they lack imagination. Most don't find anyone relatable unless the character is self inserted. That's one of the reason for race and sexuality bending in comics today.
>>
File: do i get to bring friends.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
do i get to bring friends.gif
3 MB, 280x358
>>78971327
>espousing communism
>>
He's not a cuck (or a cuck fantasizer since a lot of you are KVs) like most capeshit fans.
>>
Most people can't relate to him because recently he has been written as unrelateable. It plays into the persecution fantasies of most comic readers that they "get" Superman and others don't (just look at this thread), which is a pretty good marketing tactic all things considered.
>>
>>78969019
This is entirely it.

>>78971327
>>78972424
>>78971966
Every generation believes this about the one after it. The fact is, children are selfish and thoughtless until they grow up, but they do, generally, grow up. Some people will always remain more selfish than others, some people will be more selfless than others, while most, as in every generation in history, will be primarily on their own side while still able to be moved to acts of compassion in certain cases. That's about what most people can handle, and it's been how the human race functions since we developed the ability for higher empathy.
>>
File: 1452513423367.jpg (14 KB, 637x480) Image search: [Google]
1452513423367.jpg
14 KB, 637x480
>>78976603
>being a parasite
>>
>>78972424
>You know who kids like? Deadpool and Batman. Because they're petty, violent man-children who do what ever they want.

Fuck, I never even considered this. I think you actually nailed it. Fuck, that's depressing.

>The only kids who like Spider-man like him because hes funny, not because he values responsibility.

Shit, I never considered this either. Shit, man, you are insightful as fuck with this shit.
>>
>>78976618
This.

Superman is hyper masculine. His name even makes that totally clear. Most modern cape readers are effeminate and/or obese.
>>
I only realised how NOT boring Superman is after I turned past 13-14 years old
>>
>>78976808
You can't be more wrong. Superman is largely considered as a nice guy or a boy scout. If you want a hyper masculine guy, wolverine or cable is the right answer.

Superman is famous among comic readers, just not so much among the casual fans nowadays.
>>
>>78976769
People as a whole are shit and have always been shit, but we've reached the point as a human race where we're running out of resources at a pretty damn fast rate with no clear-cut sustainable future for any of the heighths that we've reached as a race, and we've never been more intellectually free yet oppressed, and to a lot of people its disheartening to see their kind and kin revel in pointless distractions instead of doing something, anything.
A lot of this is just uninformed pessimism but its still depressing every time I see an 8 year old on his parents iphone playing some shit game or young adults who do nothing but play video games instead of develop their minds.
I don't even know why I'm here.
>>
>>78976855
>I don't even know why I'm here.
Mostly because being here is easier than "developing your mnd," whatever it is you consider that to be. Not a problem though, as long as you condemn other peope for doing what you do you're in the clear.
>>
>>78976556
>They can't even FATHOM being a farmer from Kansas

You do realize most of America's landscape is rural and people do actually live there, not just in the cities?
>>
>>78968968
No because modern society is beyond moral absolutism.
>>
>>78968968
Only degenerates can't connect with him because they have no morals.
>>
File: WAA!.gif (794 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
WAA!.gif
794 KB, 365x365
>>78972563
You literally sound like a super villain.
>>
>>78976912
Yeah, when is comes to consequentialism vs deontology modern society votes consequentialism no matter what.
>>
>>78976908
Most of America might be rural but the great mass of population lives in the cities, plus not everyone in rural areas are farmers, you have plenty of brokedick welfare queers and can't forget the minimum wage workers/factory folk.
Plus todays industrial farming is almost NOTHING like old-timey farming and small farms are practically dead, and its not like its a common thing in media or even the public consciousness nowadays.
So yeah, a lot of people literally can't imagine what its like growing up on a kansas farm.
>>
>>78968968
>>78969019
they want to take the grim dark short cut sadly enough, because a few comic writers decreed that it is the gritty shit that sells
>>
>>78972563
Batman has the superpower of being born rich and thats basically the only thing that sperated him from being a spree-killer or one-time revenge killer.
>>
I think Supergods tell everything which should be told in here.
What do you think about Superman's idea?
Will it be polluted by mammonism which is like Lord VYNDKTVX?
>>
>>78976912
>>78976961
I heard that in some vote, most philosophes voted for deontology and agaisnst consequentialism.
Is it true that modern society is beyond absolutism?
>>
>>78977160
>Is it true that modern society is beyond absolutism?
Modern society is beyond jack-shit and the only reason moral absolutism isn't as common is because of the "everything is subjective" meme becoming so widespread.
>>
>>78977184
I see many people complain about moral relativism. They say that moral relativism will destroy society like ancient Rome and Greece.
Are they minority?
>>
>>78976829
same here.
>>
>>78977272
They're a minority, or at least their a minority in practice. Most humans practice at least some level of subjective morality simply to keep themselves functioning.

You just see a lot of them on 4chan, and they're very loud.

They're also fucking retards who don't understand the real why 'Greece' and Rome eventually fell to the wayside as world powers.
>>
>>78977325
So, are you moral relativist?
Do you think that moral is absolutely relative?
>>
>>78976769
The difference seems to be people aren't growing out of this childish mentality.
They're still acting like this into their 20s with no sign of growing up.
Certainly in the UK, tho I suspect the US is the same. Schools and universities lower themselves to the kids rather than elevating the kids to adulthood. And of course many parents today simply don't accept responsibility. It's left to the state to raise these kids.
>>
>>78976961
deontology and moral absolutism are not the same thing though.

deontology is a moral code, moral absolutism is the perception that a certain moral code is right and everything outside it is wrong, no matter the circumstances it came from or its results and consequences.
>>
>if you don't like superman you're a bad person
>>
>>78977325
Don't forget the part where they will give you shit for not subscribing to their pop-history version of world events cobble together from lots of YouTube video watching and zero reading of historiography
>>
>>78977325
Most of professional philosophers are moral realist, at least not moral relativist.
If moral relativism is majority in society, do their philosophy contradict society?
>>
>>78977468
Depend on how you define contradiction when talking about comparative ethics
>>
>>78977495
So, are they who is moral realist philosopher minority in society?
>>
>>78969308
Pretty much. He just needs a non-shit modern movie.
>>
>>78972563
>He's unrelatable because he was born with godlike power, yet he deigns to say he knows what it means to be human.
He didn't have all his powers right out of the bat so I think he would in fact know. Not to mention the countless times he has been depowered.
>>
>>78968968
TO be honest, Landis os doing a good work with him.
>>
I love Superman because Superman loves everything and do everything he can do for us.Why can't i love such a person?
Do you hate Superman?
>>
>>78977461
You do realise that absolutists have the exact same behavior, in more extreme ways, do you?
>>
>>78977461
Yeah, moral relativists are faggots, but at least they haven't killed millions with stupid religious or political wars
>>
>>78977673
I am not moral absolutist.
But do you say that most philosophers who believe that there is moral truth are fucking retarded?
>>
honestly he is chronos in a time when zeus must rise to power.

godly and the prime example of what a hero should be.
but he's just been around for too long, and the status quo is still here
>>
>>78977697
>>78977697
did I say that? where?
>>
>>78977720
I think that he is most famous hero in the world.
And, He will be rememberd by countless people until even Batman is forgotten from people.
Why is he chronos?
>>
>>78977673
There is such a thing as "authority" when talking about a particular subject

You would only trust an engineer to build a bridge, it follows that you'd trust an accredited historian and his body of work supported by evidence when talking about history

Whereas there's no golden seal of approval or accreditation when talking about ethicists. Being a moral relativist doesn't mean becoming a straw man who relativises every single thing in the world
>>
>>78977740
Saying that moral absolutists do almost same thing every time means you say that every moral absolutist or realist are retard, doesn't it?
>>
>>78977417
I suppose I am.

There's no reason to believe that moral truths exist as tangible, real things independent of us. You can WANT them to, but there's simply no evidence of it. Justice, mercy, etc, are concepts, and they mean different things depending on who you derive their meaning from. There are no laws in nature, only patterns. Nothing is natural, or right, or good.

We, however, as humans, have a somewhat more limited scope and, in order to make our lives bearable, we should minimize suffering. Not because it is 'right' or 'wrong', but simply because suffering is unpleasant from almost every human's perspective.
>>
>>78977776
I didn't say retard at all to begin with.

I said they display the same behaviour, giving shit to those who don't agree with them.
>>
>>78977854
ok.
I understand your position.
>>
>2016
>still not killing for the greater good
>still following the broken law system
>still having blind patriotism for america
I totally relate with the alien super humanoid.
>>
I'm surprised that tumblr hasn't taken over DC yet.

Superman could've been killed-off for having too much male cisgender white privilege, and Supergirl could've turned into a fat tumblrina who protects oversensitive girls from being offended from everyday life.
>>
>>78976987

which pisses me off when people like moore and millar decry this gritty shit like they didnt have a hand in it
>>
I like the character in concept, but so far I haven't read anything with him that blew me away.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (6 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6 KB, 251x201
>>78977854
You're thinking of nature on too small of a scale. On the level of individual animals, this is correct; nature is red in tooth and claw, physiological traits are the only "concrete" measure of a species' survivability, and conceptions of thought are just that - abstractions made as an accident of our powerful brains and social nature.

However, societies are also an aspect of nature, and taking a wider view, we may examine the behavior of societies as adaptive or maladaptive towards the survival of the social organism as well as the individual organism. On a broader scale, then, morals, values and ethics become characteristics, as tangible and essential as physiological.

For instance, most prosperous first-world countries have, to one degree or another, values where altruism, justice, reciprocity, productivity, and fairness are held in high esteem, where selfishness, asocial behavior, laziness, and cruelty are decried. Of course, individually speaking, how we act doesn't always match the values of our society, but if we expand our view to a wider range we see a cultural organism that, for the most part, treats the members of its "body" with a pretty good level of compassion and equity (compared to other societies throughout history at least). Cultures with these "traits" tend to thrive and grow, while isolationist, war-like, and despotic cultures tend to die out, stagnate, or weaken until they are absorbed or changed by the stronger cultural organisms. Virtue is an evolving survival mechanism, as tangible and real as the human thumb.
>>
File: 1431465696192.png (116 KB, 228x260) Image search: [Google]
1431465696192.png
116 KB, 228x260
>>78972563
>Batman made himself the ultimate human in order to become a force for good
>>
>>78976957
Basically a yandere for Superman?
I would read that.
>>
>>78972424
>Because they're petty, violent man-children who do what ever they want.
Both are only so when they are written by writers who do not understand the characters.

Don't blame the character fit the shit writing, son
>>
>>78980794
For*
>>
>>78968968
no because a modern audience has zero idea what they want with him
>>
I don't relate to Superman because moral character means nothing when you are invincible. Because it's easy to stand for what is right when it's safe.

Superman's struggles are meaningless to actual human beings.
>>
>>78983660
I'm sorry you've never been inspired by someone
>>
>>78972424
The fact that this post wasn't immediately mocked says a lot about how terrible most Superman fans are.
>>
>>78968968
Modern audiences can't connect with him because he doesn't have a good movie you retarded fucking faggots
>>
>>78984075
it's not easy to be inspired by someone who is never at risk and can do whatever he pleases, can see molecules, can hear across the earth, can survive the deepest depths of the ocean and space, etc
>>
>>78985161
And yet he still fails at some things
>>
>>78972563
Batfags confirmed for Lex Luthor.
>>
>>78972563
Stop shitposting and run your company, Lex.
>>
>>78985161
>Never at risk
He constantly worries about fitting in and relating to normal people. He's weirder and more unique than any anon on 4chan and yet he finds time to have a normal, well adjusted social life.

>Do whatever he pleases
The kicker to the character is that what he pleases is never petty or crude.

He lives humbly as a man with the power of a god.
>>
>>78976832
>wolverine or cable
>a canadian and marvel's shadow hegegog
Boy scouts are cooler anyways. They can survive in the wild, track bears, tie shit, and are taught to help their community.
I bet they even know how to hunt.
>>
>>78984075
If I am to be inspired, I will be inspired by people who overcome hardship by realistic means and not by being superstrong.

>Oh, but he's powerful and not mean for it
When I become god, I'll sure take some lessons from him. Until than though...
>>
>>78985750
And yet he constantly fails despite his powers. Read a fucking comic
>>
Is STAS the definitive superman for a lot of people?
I know it's mine
>>
File: 1355203425211.png (290 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1355203425211.png
290 KB, 640x480
Fucking really? What's all this bullshit about "connecting with him?"

He's a multimillion dollar, continually successful fictional franchise product that does whatever the artists or writers want him to do. Nobody has to get their moral standpoint from an inconsistent comic book character, you nerds.

Who keeps making these threads and why?
>>
>>78986040
Superfags are constantly butthurt that the second most popular superhero in existence isn't as popular as the first most popular superhero in existence.
>>
>>78972563
Are you a super villian?
>>
>>78972424
I work with about 200 children a year in the age group 3-16 and this anon gets it
>>
>>78969019
this
>>
Tons of people like Superman, popularity isn't the issue

Superman will never be "cool" though, and that's fine. He will always be popular but he'll never have the same appeal characters like Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc etc etc have....he's not a "cool" guy and he doesn't need to be.

It seems that comic fans get mad whenever their favorite character isn't loved by all, when their are as many different characters as their are different people...it's dumb.
>>
>>78988024
I work with 1300 children a month and they try to murder me all the time.
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42 KB, 479x720
>>78976855
>develop their minds
>>
>>78988317
Maybe you should have not put your hands in the wrong part of them, Anon.
>>
File: Ûž.png (273 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
Ûž.png
273 KB, 400x384
>>78988393
>being an abject retard specializing in meaningless "hobbies" is somehow preferable
I know being contrarian is the norm on 4chan now because god forbid anybody even attempt to be intelligent but this is ridiculously retarded.
>>
>>78969019
nailed it
>>
>>78985698
I used to be a boy scout 10 years ago
There's more paperwork and fucking essays than actual learning about survival skills
every other meeting was reading bullshit from the stupid handbook
I doubt its changed any from when I was in.
>>
>>78971327
>>78976556
>>78972424

i can't believe people are stupid enough to believe this. I'd be surprised if any of you are over 30...

Why the fuck would this generation of kids like Superman? A cartoon starring Superman hasn't been around for ten years. There hasn't been a good Superman movie since the 70s. There hasn't been a good Superman video game... ever. Name one reason kids have to like Superman.
>>
>>78988553
Please tell me how you choose to develop your mind, Anon. Do you do it through comics or cartoons? Or perhaps from browsing 4chan?

You're not intelligent.
>>
>>78988795
You know nothing of who I am or what I do and proving it to you would be pointless since you're an idiot that'd just post more le epic maymays since you're incapable of thinking abouting anything in more depth than capeshit.
>he's on 4chan
>of course he's an idiot just like me!
Stop projecting and maybe people will bother to entertain you.
>>
>>78968968
Tried to. Wasn't cuz of his morals though, it was because he's fucking untouchable. Can't relate that much to a supersuit like him.

Clark Kent, however....
>>
>>78968968

Superman is a Mary Sue. He doesn't fit the hero's journey. Jesus, Bilbo, Frodo, and Luke are underdogs that face legitimate challenges and overcome them.

Superman either a) wins by default or b) lol kryptonite deus ex machina.

Even when Grant Morrison tries to make Superman Jesus, it fails because Superman is actually written as being more perfect than Jesus.
>>
>>78978098
They didn't make it because they wanted to cash in on a trend is the difference.
>>
>>78988868
>You know nothing of who I am or what I do and proving it to you would be pointless since you're an idiot that'd just post more le epic maymays since you're incapable of thinking abouting anything in more depth than capeshit.
..So you have absolutely nothing to say, then? It's obvious, you know.

If you'd done anything worthwhile with your life you wouldn't be hunched over a computer whining about how other people actually enjoy themselves. Your activities are just as mindless and worthless as theirs, the difference is they're not as obnoxious.

You know, most of these kids playing video games or playing with these parents' iphones are just normal people. They go to schools, have friends, and one day they'll get a job and a family, and maybe do something worthwhile with their lives. I can't say the same for you.
>>
File: Brave New Metropolis.png (291 KB, 672x512) Image search: [Google]
Brave New Metropolis.png
291 KB, 672x512
>>78989001
>Mary Sue
Oh boy
>He doesn't fit the hero's journey
Because you can't understand or emphazie with a character unless their history is a cookie-cutter monomyth.
>that face legitimate challenges and overcome them.
why don't you put the world in a bottle, cardboard city, darkside, being the number 1 public face for any/all superheros operating with or without the league

Literally read any comic reddit
>>
>>78988641
This. It's a matter of exposure, Marvel is beating DC in sales and has more successful adaptations. Kids don't read comics.
>>78969019
This anon is right, and that means it's as difficult to adapt Superman as it is to write him in a comic.
>>
>>78988868
Don't ever play poker.
>>
I've never been interested in Superman, at all. Never read a single Superman comic.

But, and I might draw hate for this, I recently watched MoS and I really liked it.

What are some of the best superman tpb's one should start out with? I'm actually interested in superman now and want to get started.
>>
>>78989455
>I recently watched MoS and I really liked it

Superman: Red Son.
>>
File: 1604204-kingdom_come1.jpg (173 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1604204-kingdom_come1.jpg
173 KB, 1024x768
>>78968968
I think a big problem with Superman is that he's been taken out of the context in which he was created.

Take the new Man From U.N.C.L.E.. Rather than try to set in the modern day, it's set during the Cold War. The producers made the choice not to update it. Maybe because of Mad Men. But it's a period piece. I think if D.C. really wants to get back to the core of what made Superman great, he should be bumping around in the 1930's fighting mad scientists and corrupt government officials. Maybe make him a bit more powerful than original Superman, but not too much.

If you have to have a modern Superman in a 20teens story, you make him the same Superman, only now he's 100 years old and looks fifty and has absorbed so much solar radiation he's basically a God on earth. Basically Clark from Kingdom Come.

1940's Supes is a relateable guy, fighting evil, falling in love, doing human stuff and enjoying life.

2010's Superman is a few steps removed from humanity. Lois has been dead for years and most of his old friends are too. He has become a God watching over mankind and is treated as such by the heroes, villains and the general public. At this point 21st Century Superman is more a plot device than anything.

That's my take on it, anyway.
>>
I'm a huge Superman fan. I respect and admire him greatly and though I won't tell people outright but those who have been with me throughout most of my life would know that I based my life off him. He's the reason I became a Muslim. Superman inspired me at a young age to be a better person. Even my friends think I'm just too nice but I can't be selfish nor can I get angry and there are 0 people on this planet I hate and it's all because this fictional character made me believe in other people.
>>
File: 1451624320023.png (887 KB, 1299x825) Image search: [Google]
1451624320023.png
887 KB, 1299x825
>>78989455
>>
>>78989901
>>78990030
Superman never shitposted this hard.
>>
>>78990054
While we're on the topic of Supes, whats the watching order for Timm-verse?
BTAS S1-2, STAS S1-2, JL, Rest of STAS, rest of BTAS, S2 JL and then JLU?
>>
>>78968968
I'm pretty sure things like truth, justice and the American way already triggers SJWs.
>>
I want a hug from Supes.
>>
>>78990604
BTAS and STAS were both over before JL started.

Just look the dates up on wikipedia. It's not necessary to watch it in exact order either.

From memory, I think it's
BTAS > STAS and New Batman Adventures(aired at same time) > Batman Beyond > Zeta Project (I guess...) > JL and Static Shock (same time again) > JLU
>>
>>78979306
Personally, I'd say you're the one thinking too small. Our societies are nothing. They mean nothing, ultimately. The idea that being born in relatively close proximity to someone else, or having a shared history, separates you in an true way from anyone else, is ridiculous. These structures exist because without them we wouldn't be organized, and because, as competitive animals, everyone wants to be on the top - and to be on top, there has to be a structure to actually be at the zenith of.

You say 'virtue' is real, but many of the traits you name as aspects of virtue have simply not been highly valued by some of the most successful societies on Earth. Social structures do indeed help us thrive, but few two social structures are the same. You cite altruism? What is altruism? What is the level of generosity that classes a person as altruistic? I guarantee you that other people with have a different view to you. Even today, there are strong societies that define their virtues extremely differently to how we do so here in the west - China and India, for example, are rapidly developing into economic powerhouses. China is held together primarily through bureaucratic despotism, and India through a punishing caste system.

Frankly, it is relative thinking that has brought you many of the Enlightenment ideals and innovations that allow you to live in your prosperous society.
>>
>>78990054
Thanks
>>
>>78991592
I'd like to add to this:

I don't think morality is unimportant, from our perspective. We're not universal in scale, so we can afford to have little white lies we use to make things more bearable. Morality helps to structure us, to bind us, and to reduce suffering, and ultimately that's all that matters for being that live short, tiny lives.

But morality simply cannot be measured. It has no focal point. If you attempt to give it one, you'll find that someone, somewhere else, has given it a different one, and that their is just as valid as yours. You could determine which is 'real' by which works the best, but that's not what real means, and that goes against the idea of moral imperatives that are right because they are right - if something was right because it is right it wouldn't have to work the best, it'd be the correct thing anyway, by nature.

Morality isn't bad or petty. But it is relative, in ever sense of the term.
>>
>>78988195
Yeah, Superman is a gigantic flying dork, and that's great.
>>
>>78991933
Morality being subjective is why it isn't a real thing nor anything to be concerned about. It's an arbitrary set of rules, different to each person, and usually with religious roots. It doesn't really exist. You can't sense it in any way. Its just an idea and ideas change.

In the grand scheme of things, feeding the homeless is no 'better' than murdering them because 'better' suggests there's a definite, indisputable measure of morality, which there isn't because morality changes.

Actions therefore can only be judged on how they help the species as a whole. Killing is thought of as 'wrong' and yet nobody bats an eyelid over the amount of killing we're doing in the Middle East to defend truth, justice and freedom and all that jazz.

There are no absolutes. There's no such thing as pure good or pure evil. They're synthetic constructs. Raping a child has some good elements because it brings pleasure to the rapist. You may find that repulsive, but you can't deny it. Making people happy is always seen as an admirable quality right?
>>
>>78977565

Thats some shit taste you got there
>>
>>78985938
Yeah. Better than comics Superman desu.
>>
>>78993353
Man of Steel was an enjoyable popcorn flick but it's not quite there.
>>
File: yourmissingsomething.jpg (79 KB, 600x490) Image search: [Google]
yourmissingsomething.jpg
79 KB, 600x490
>>78990030

>>hes the reason I became a muslim
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.