[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please explain to me Batman and Joker's relationship?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14
File: Joker-Batman-DC-Movie-Universe.jpg (49 KB, 786x337) Image search: [Google]
Joker-Batman-DC-Movie-Universe.jpg
49 KB, 786x337
Can someone please explain to me Batman and Joker's relationship?
I've only played Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.
Yes, i know i should read some comics, but i still have to get my hands on them
I just can't make sense of how they were able to make Batman and Joker identify with themselves, I mean they're both different in so many ways how can they even 'understand' each other?
>>
Yes, they're in love.
>>
>>78920877
>Can someone please explain to me Batman and Joker's relationship?
In the comics they're in love but divorced.
>>
They recognize in each other the exact opposite of themselves. Order and Chaos, Yin and Yang. They coexist as forces of nature, rather than men, they are immortal ideas.
>>
Batman represents an insane need to protect and enforce order

Joker represents an insane need to destroy and create chaos

And without one or the other, each of their pursuits becomes pointless

Or at least that's how they're portrayed in all current media
>>
>>78920877
Because at the end of the day they both know they're shithouse crazy.
>>
>>78920926
A good example of this is Dark Knight Returns. Batman had quit and was thought dead, so Joker simply went catatonic, institutionalized and without any purpose in his life, until Batman returned.
>>
>>78920916
>>78920926
>>78920933
>>78920951

Oh, so that explains why it seemed like Batman got hurt more on Joker's death rather than Talia in Arkham City.
So you mean to say that without Joker, Batman is prone to get mental instability?
>>
>>78920877
As much as i hate when faggots say this. you should just read the comics. cause nothing we say will really make sense by it's self.

They're crazy in love with each other in the hatred sense.
>>
>>78920992
No, Batman IS mentally unstable already. The Joker is just equally as fucked in the head and the two give each other something to focus on.
>>
>>78920992
batman has enough other villains to keep him occupied, but if he were to ever be removed from being able to fight them, or serve out justice at all he most definitely would go insane.
>>
>>78920995
>They're crazy in love with each other in the hatred sense.

Are you for real?
I thought these >>78920887 >>78920913
were just /co/ memes?

Do you know which comics fully depicts their relationship?
>>
>>78921060
>were just /co/ memes?
wat
/co/ got completely insane when they announced that Joker's Daughter is a clone of Batman and Joker because it kept pushing their homo relationship. It's why we hate The New 52. Anyway read the Villains Month issue with Joker's Daughter (can't remember which one is that, google it) and Detective Comics, it's the batman title where the romance part is explored. If you just want to read batman doing batman stuff check out the title called "Batman" instead.
>>
>>78921060
They're just shitposting. Just read 70s and 80s Batman and Legends of Dark Knight run.
>>
>>78921043
Plus quite a few of Batmans other foes can be controlled or at the very least kept in line, Joker is the one who can't.
>>
File: 1423849362189.jpg (65 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
1423849362189.jpg
65 KB, 500x469
>>78920992
No, the Joker is the physical representation of what Batman confronts, He is chaos in a form that he can punch.

I've never liked the notion that Batman can't live without the Joker. The Joker without Batman, sure. He's nuts.

I just think Batman is nuts in a different way. Jokers prime goal is to fuck with Batman, Batmans is to dispense justice, something he can do without the Joker being there.

I love stories that delve into the notion that Batman is completely fucking bonkers, I just groan when its implied he can't live without the Joker.
>>
File: batman-darling-02.jpg (136 KB, 927x363) Image search: [Google]
batman-darling-02.jpg
136 KB, 927x363
>>78921060
No, Joker really is in love with Batman. It's not a meme.
>>
>>78921116
>tricking anon into reading the shittiest part of DC comics
>lying about batman's romance
devilish.jpg
>>
>>78921094

/co/ got completely insane when they announced that Joker's Daughter is a clone of Batman and Joker

I didn't know this and i wish i never knew this.

>>78921060
Yeah, They kind of gave themselves Stockholm syndrome. They hate the shit out of each other and have spend years just trying to peel the other apart and understand/break them. To the point where they're such huge parts of eachothers lives they can't/don't want to go on without the other. It's a weird sense of love, ask homestuck fans about it.
>>
>>78921060
>>78921142
The scene is actually included in Arkham Origins. When Batman saves Joker, despite all logic, and you go into that Joker hallucination. He is falling in love for the first time.

This is also mentioned in Deaths in the Family, Bruce hauntingly recalls looking into his eyes, and not seeing fear, but Joker's eyes dilating with love and obsession. Its not about being sexual. It is because they complete each other.
>>
File: isjokergay2.jpg (154 KB, 445x340) Image search: [Google]
isjokergay2.jpg
154 KB, 445x340
>>78921224
Yup. From the Joker's point of view, Batman gives meaning to his life.
>>
>>78921284
>Joker spends more make-up than Harley
>>
>be OP
>reads all these post

Holy shit, i don't know what to think.
>>
>>78921312
They are age old characters, you basically have the old way and the new way.
>>
File: 407469.jpg (195 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
407469.jpg
195 KB, 1920x1080
Don't forget when Joker is literally woken up from his catatonic coma-state when hearing his name uttered on TV, calling him DARLING.

https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1452613161508.webm
>>
File: joker is gay for batman.jpg (832 KB, 1093x3803) Image search: [Google]
joker is gay for batman.jpg
832 KB, 1093x3803
Snyder took all the fun out of this since he was so very one-note about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (667 KB, 2048x1552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
667 KB, 2048x1552
OP you are being trolled. This is why you read comics you fucking idiot.
>>
>>78920877
The relationship is that they are inverse mirrors of one another.

Batman is representative of the chaos in order.
>Joker is representative of the order in chaos.
Batman's rogues gallery mostly wouldn't exist only because of him.
>Joker only exists because of Batman.
Batman was driven crazy by the insanity of seeing his parents murdered (possibly by Joker)
>Joker was (possibly) driven insane by the craziness of Batman.

There is more. I'll write later.
Basically Batman/Bruce Wayne is the single greatest villain Gotham has. He would rather see the continuous possibility of citizens getting murdered, in order to keep playing at Hero.

This has been the punchline Joker has been trying to get Bruce to see all along.
>>
File: giphy.gif (658 KB, 563x394) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
658 KB, 563x394
>>78921561
>He would rather see the continuous possibility of citizens getting murdered, in order to keep playing at Hero.

Oh shit, i was actually just thinking of the exact same thing.
Batman just hides his need for Joker behind his moral code just so he could have a reason to fight for justice. This in turn would be the equivalent of him actually being the murderer seeing as to how many Joker has killed.
Wouldn't this be a problem to the bat family though? He instilled his ideals in them with the exception of Jason Todd, but even then when Jason became the Red Hood he eventually stopped killing after "realizing his mistakes".

>mfw Batman is actually creating secondhand murderers
>>
Half of the discussion is irrelevant since the joker is dead.
>>
>>78921708
Read comics.
>>
>>78921518
This is the only real post ITT. If you seriously think Batman and Joker are in love I feel bad for you and you may want to come out of the closet.
>>
>>78921757
Why do you think Harley is so popular? Many want to get banged by Joker, but they're in closet deeper than Iceman.
>>
>>78921483
> Someone wasted time doing this
>>
>>78921657
You buy on Hot Topic right? This is Facebook tier.
>>
File: batman pregnant.jpg (84 KB, 360x605) Image search: [Google]
batman pregnant.jpg
84 KB, 360x605
>>78921708
And who's gonna take care of this huh
>>
>>78921757
>>78921518
Not romantic love, anyone who thinks they're romantically in love is retarded.

We or at least I meant love as an obsession. they're obsessed with each other on both sides.

different kind of love.
>>
>>78921917
>equating obsession with love

Just like in my anime picture books!
>>
>>78921984
>I'LL BLOW UP A BUILDING IF YOU DON'T SHOW

>I'LL SPEND MONTHS HUNTING FOR YOU TO PROVE YOU'RE NOT DEAD.

They're yandere as fuck.
>>
>>78921657
I've always viewed Batman and his moral code as similar to the dark side from Star Wars. The people who join them always seem convince that they have to use the dark side to do what is right, but in the end their morals end up so twisted that they no longer care about what they did to justify their turn. Batman is undoubtedly of questionable mental stability, and if he starts killing these "supervillains" because he wants to stop their future crimes, his stance would slowly deteriorate until he goes full genocide. If he finally kills the Joker, it'll be because he was pushed too far. Once he hits that point, it'll be that much easier to justify killing the next supervillain and the next, until one day he is hunting and killing common criminals. If Batman is supposed to be imposing his "order" unto his city, how far do you think he is willing to go? He'll find other threats to his order to fight, and he'll kill them too, until the day that he finally loses the grip he has on his sanity and takes his revenge against the world that stole his parents from him. If he kills all of the supervillains, he is not going to stop because that is not why he started. He started because the world took his parents from him. If it helps, picture the alternate world from the Justice League cartoon in which Superman kills President Luthor, and proceeds to take control of the world. That's what will probably happen, and both the Batman and the Joker know it. I realize that is a large gap in severity, but remember that Batman is a traumatized child who runs around in a bat costume taking his anger out on the world and is not a beacon of mental stability. If the Joker gets Batman to kill him, he will have won, because he would have sent him down the path of insanity, and destroyed his sense of justice. And in the end that is what the Batman is, a symbol of justice. If the Batman kills the Joker, the Batman will die, and something far worse will follow in his ashes.
>>
>>78923823
That is a brick of text. i'm not gonna read it, but i'ma give you props and just say you're right.
>>
>>78920877
Both had:

ONE BAD DAY
>>
File: tumblr_m9e8hhHg8L1qhemtlo1_500.jpg (171 KB, 488x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9e8hhHg8L1qhemtlo1_500.jpg
171 KB, 488x750
The joker is actually Alfred.
>>
>>78920877
They're arch-enemies. The understand each other in the sense that they understand concepts. Batman understands that Joker is motivated by chaos (and vice versa). Batman doesn't empathise with him though he might understand his reasoning.

>>78920992
An alternative interpretation of that moment: Batman has won. He doesn't know how to process that. He even had the metaphorical last laugh (despite Joker laughing when he died) because he showed Joker that despite everything Joker had done he still held onto his faith in order. He had absolutely won. He was just having a hard time processing that.
>>
>>78926850
Was that actually in print? Because that's dumb.
>>
>>78927654
Well, its dumb out of context, but in the comic itself make perfect sense.It just a collection of stories of how Batman died
>>
>>78920877
You know, this reminds me of a joke. There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum . . .
>>
>>78927654

It's What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader.

In the story it explains what it means to be Batman by showing him different situations/realities. One of those is that all of Batman's villains are Alfred and his acting troupe trying to give Batman purpose.
>>
>>78920877
one is a brain, the other one insane
>>
>>78927941
...and one night, one night they decide they don't like living in the insane asylum any more...
>>
>>78928326
...they decide they're going to escape...
...so they like get up on the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moonlight... stretching away to freedom...
>>
>>78921060
No. It's not a meme.

Batman and Joker are literally gay for each other.
That's why Joker keeps messing with him and that's why Batman hasn't killed him or doesn't let anybody else kill him.
>>
>>78928859
...now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend daredn't make the leap. Y'see... y'see he's afraid of falling...
So then the first guy has an idea... he says *Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!"
B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh - says... he says "Wh-what do you think I am? CRAZY?"
>>
>>78928904
"You'd turn it off when I was half way across!"
>>
File: married.jpg (613 KB, 1280x1407) Image search: [Google]
married.jpg
613 KB, 1280x1407
>>78921060
kek
>>
>>78921837
This image is literally from the beginning of 2000

How fucking new are you
>>
File: Mr Obsessive.jpg (2 MB, 1544x1804) Image search: [Google]
Mr Obsessive.jpg
2 MB, 1544x1804
>>78921142
It's evidently mutual, though.
>>
>>78920926
Best answer.
>>
File: 1364495994861.jpg (467 KB, 1405x1080) Image search: [Google]
1364495994861.jpg
467 KB, 1405x1080
>>78929570
Agreed.
>>
>>78921224
That's so beautiful
>>
>>78929093
>>78928859
>>78928326
>>78927941
I am really fucking disapointed in 4chan for letting this go without a combo breaker. you should all be ashamed
>>
>>78920877

They've been inside each other.

Their conflict stems from each being unable to come to terms with the fact that they didn't hate it.
>>
>>78927691
>>78927987
Thanks guys, the context helps. First sight was just a major eye roll.
>>
Joker thinks he's Bugs Bunny and he thinks Batman is Elmer Fudd.
>>
>>78921284
I thought joker used the lipstick to kill the psychiatrist in the show. There was a reason for using his own lipstick other than being flamboyantly gay. He was just meeting the expectations that they gave him.
>>
>>78920877
Batman understands the Joker. He wishes he didn't.

The Joker thinks he understands Batman. He doesn't.
>>
>>78921561
Expanding on what I was writing earlier...

So Bats and Jokes do need each other, not in a homo way like some here have said. Each character at this point, justifies the others existence. They are opposite sides of Two-Face's coin. As alike as they are different.

Bruce/Bats is a playboy, sleeping with a different woman every night
>Joe Kerr has only one woman devoted to him
Neither care for these women as anything more than distraction.

Bats is overzealous order
>Joker is unrepentant chaos
Both so single minded in purpose, only to create more of what they want to destroy.
(Bruce creates more villains, >Joe expands the Bat Family)

This anon here
>>78921657 isn't far off at all.
This should become a problem for the Bat Family.
Bruce should cease being Batman. He would be far more effective running Wayne Eneterprises, or at least running the charity, leaving ops to Lucius Fox. He could improve Gotham in ways he just can't as Batman. Tim Drake should be the next to own the cowl, let Dick Grayson continue on as Nightwing.

As it is, Bruce Wayne as Batman, is the cancer killing Gotham.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.