[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why there are no serious cartoons anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 23
File: images (3).jpg (26 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
26 KB, 300x392
I want to watch a cartoon with a serious plot for once like for example Atla, Lok, Young Titans or Bem 10 but they don't make shows like that anymore. All we have are comedy.
>>
Because time has dumbed down for more comedy than action and drama.
>>
>>78873027
We had one last ressurgence of those a couple of years ago, but they all got cancelled in rapid succession. I believe the networks just accepted that they are simply no longer viable.

If you haven't watched all of those and don't mind the missing conclusions, go back and watch Tron Uprising, Symbionic Titan, Green Lantern The Animated Series and Motorcity.
>>
>>78873027
Because people need something to escape to, not escape from.
But to be serious, it's probably just because action cartoons have kind of died down by now, and no one wants to risk making another one when they keep "failing" to either get the right toy sales or bring in the right audience.
>>
>>78874054
>Motorcity

I'm still not over that loss.
>>
>>78873027
stop limiting yourself to cartoons made in the americas
>>
America lets the japanese make "serious" cartoons and is now focusing on shitty very bright comedy cartoons.

It's a phase I hope will die out soon.

In a couple of years the kids who grew up watching these "serious" cartoons will become the people in charge of creativity and shit and maybe they'll try and make stuff in the style of what they loved growing up.

Also Legend of Kora ended in 2014, and that's technically a "serious" cartoon.
>>
>>78873027
Its either the serious stuff just doesn't sell or you just don't make back what you spent doing serious stuff. You have to add a bit of comdy and or cuteness inorder to sell a serious show, see Avatar. Full time serious stuff just seem to appeal to a much smaller scrowd these days. It's why companies like Disney and most of Japan stop doing those 90's grimdark stuff because it just doesn't sell as good as the cute and funny stuff.
>>
File: 1390024074826.jpg (198 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1390024074826.jpg
198 KB, 1920x1080
>what is wakfu?
>>
Steven Universe is "serious". Just depends on how much you like homosexuality.
>>
>>78873027
Korra failed
toy sales failed
eveyone tries to be adventure time
>>
File: smug son of a bitch.png (331 KB, 502x289) Image search: [Google]
smug son of a bitch.png
331 KB, 502x289
>>78878826
the picture answers your question
>>
>>78877311
>saying that on an american website on a board for western cartoons

I mean I totally agree but c'mon. At least tell the guy what other cartoons he can watch, like Ladybug or Wakfu.
>>
>>78873027
you need to rewatch first half of book water if you think ATLA is a serious cartoon

They had to sell it and pander to 6-12 pretty hard to even have the possibility to turn it later into something bigger
>>
Things would be different if Korra had done better and Young Justice had sold more toys

But those were the two final nails in the coffin. They know they can ride noddle arms and emoticon faces to the bank, plus easy toys. Game over
>>
>>78880558
>If Beware the Batman wasn't the first Batman show ever to have only one season
>If TTGo wasn't so cheap & easy
>If Green Lantern was a better movie
>If Loeb didn't pull the shit he did
>If Disney didn't cancel Motorcity & Tron: Uprising
>If the Hub Network was still active
>If Transformers RID wasn't a reaction to Prime being so "mature"
>If Dwayne McDuffie was still alive
>If reboots like Thundercats & Voltron Force had done better
>If Ben 10 didn't become more "cartoony"
>If the CN action toons weren't burned off so early in the morning
>>
>>78877311
So you mean its time to start watching Anime?
>>
>>78874054
Green latern was pretty good. A shame it didn't last long, was it because of the toys not selling?
>>
>>78873127
Damn this shitty new generation. We'll never have another Atla because of it.
>>
>>78880558
True, Young Justice and Korra were the last serious cartoons and they failed. We'll probably never have something like that
>>
>>78878889
I can't take Steven Universe that much.
I think it tries too hard to be and is a Wanna be anime, plus its pretty gay, overdramatic and cartoony plus more lile a comedy show
>>
>>78880429
Even in the Book Water, you could see there was a plot to follow plus being in war didn't made it a simple kiddy cartoon
>>
>>78873027
serious demands good art
good art is expensive
everyone demands a fair wage now so certain things are unprofitable
>>
>>78873027
Because serious cartoons require serious investment and therefore serious profits. Companies have yet to figure out the proper way to achieve that end and therefore opt for surer bets.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (52 KB, 303x485) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
52 KB, 303x485
>>78873027
Can Samurai Jack be consider a serious cartoon? Its coming back in Adult Swim after all
>>
>>78874054
Thundercats too.
>>78873027
Venture Bros and Steven Universe are the only cartoons I'm thinking of off the top of my head that are more serious.
>>
>>78874054
That's most likely because a lot of those shows had practically no marketing and iirc they aired on Saturday mornings. Look at their audience! Who the fuck is getting up Saturday morning to watch shows? Basically doomed them from the start.
>>
>>78873127
>>78873027
>>78882401
Are you implying animation was serious until now? Animation being serious at all has only been for maybe 20 years in the states. Before that it's was advertising cartoons, goofy Hanna-barbera type stuff, slapstick and one liners
When being 2serious got popular in the 90's, animation followed suit. That's when it started really trying to be serious in its tone and/narrative, let alone having a continuous narrative that wasn't just "we're good, they're not, LASERS".
Shit changes in cycles, being serious waxes and wanes with what people want to see, and what artists and writers are willing to do. I hate that bullshit "everything was great until (insert current generation) ruined everything" mindset. It's disingenuous as fuck and is delusional at worst, when has fucking anything ever truly been without even a single flaw? Never. But nothing is without a benefit either, even if it only serves to educate as a cautionary tale. But like a bunch of anon's said, the US is terrible at taking animation seriously, so go find a subbed anime you like that's not moe-shit and have fun, because there's very little in the states that's anything but comedy, adult comedy, dramedy, or not worth watching. I mean I think SU tries to be serious but it fails more often then not because of how the writers work, they're too heavy handed and rely on sadness to be serious. It's trying though. There's always that.
>>
>>78882374
Because the movie bombed, I assume
>>
>>78883242
Yeah i agree the SU. But is true, right now the probabilities of a new kind serious show is almost zero. Better watch and Anime like Dimension W for example.
>>
>>78873027

Perhaps we'll get more in the future.
>>
>>78883324
if you want dramatic American animation nowadays you have to watch shorts (lolno) or independent films (probably more accessible but much rarer). Series animation takes way too much time and dramatic animation is so incredibly niche that no one is going to risk it.

The best thing you could do for dramatic animation would be to watch things like Anomalisa or GKIDS releases in theaters or Netflix original series like BoJack Horseman or F is for Family on Netflix itself. Pay attention to animation news sites for any glimmer of interesting content and pay to see it.

Unless you actually work in the industry and can work on stuff that has actual prospects.
>>
>>78883513
Note that the Netflix series are nominally "comedies" but are kinda depressing. This is at least a step up from Seth MacFarlane's oeuvre.
>>
>>78882374

Close, it was because the stores didn't want to sell merchandise. They had a bunch of unsold Green Lantern Movie Merchandise, they didn't want to have a bunch of unsold Green Lantern Animated Merchandise.
>>
>>78873027
This is a good time for anime. They switched roles this time.
Legend of Arslan (Game of thrones-y)
Gate: Jitai (fantasy with /k/)
Have fun.
>>
>>78883324
I hate watching most anime because the manga is better almost every time. And there's lots of manga that don't have anime that are awesome like REAL, Vagabond, Liar Game, and Homunculus.
>>
>>78883763
>made a fucking fantasy action adventure series based on a mobile game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEAs9NvHec
>>
>>78883753
Games of Thrones is already garbage, so I imagine a weeb knock-off being worse.
>>
>>78873027
Samurai Jack season 5 and new Justice League cartoon are coming
>>
>>78883763
I think due to most anime being really garbage in terms of animation, manga is actually superior in its ability to show movement. Actually, in many if not most cases manga is superior to western comics in showing movement due to the freedom that they have in pacing.
Most Japanese animation studios are just really garbage to the point where I can't even watch anime
>>
File: 1394855113630.png (58 KB, 1035x1000) Image search: [Google]
1394855113630.png
58 KB, 1035x1000
>>78877018
>Because people need something to escape to, not escape from.

well put, phamalam.
>>
>>78883763
>Liar Game

>catch up on Liar Game after so many years
>that shit ass god awful ending

Nao is still my Liar Waifu though
>>
>>78883763
>Liar Game
Not with that ending.

>>78885204
>Nao
You sir have good taste.
>>
>>78883513

It's kinda sad.

Animation has almost infinite potential. If you can imagine it, you can portray it. It is THE multimedia medium for artistic freedom.

Fantasy? Even the strangest things on the grandest scale are just another thing to draw for this medium. It's not any kind of obstacle.
Human expression? It can be down to earth, or you can exaggerate in a seemingly endless number of ways according to your needs.
Sex? What other medium will allow you to so easily gather hundreds of busty, adorable 10/10s and have them be well acted?

But how does the west make use of it? For television, comedies. For videogames, they just try to mimic live action. It's a massive waste.
>>
In relative terms, cartoons are way more serious now than they were in the past
>>
>>78874054
I think it'll come back. Looking back on it, I didn't realize that we were sort of in a few years period of action considering there was a large amount of it going on at once. Its just that none of them got the proper love they deserved from things like marketing, and didn't really give much to the studios.

I think action is going to come back soon though. Steven Universe is doing strong right now, and it doesn't matter if you dislike it or like it, you have to admit its an example of a more SERIOUS show. There are some rather serious drama bombs dropped left and right in that show, which go right along with the drama bombs of an AtLA or a GLtAS.

Plus, we got Samurai Jack coming, and if that does well, more and more things are gonna get approved of.
>>
>>78873027
Watch anime like the rest of us
>>
>>78873027
>"anymore"

>LoK ended less than 2 years ago

>>
>>78887187
Yeah, but Nick shat out LoK as fast as they could. They wanted rid of it.
>>
Because the Jews are trying to dumb down a new generation of children so that they can benefit for their shitty little society.
>>
>>78886547
Ever since I watched everything on entry level, all I find is exclusively weird bullshit. Especially when I look at current releases.
Anime was a mistake.
>>
File: madoka.jpg (200 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
madoka.jpg
200 KB, 640x960
Try netflix
>>
>>78873027
Stop being so edgy
>>
>>78887496
Stop being so Jewish.
>>
File: slap.jpg (144 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
slap.jpg
144 KB, 600x906
>preview for part 3
>Azula slap Ty lee

lol
>>
>>78887603
I'm happy that so far, these comics have actually been pretty decent. They feel better than Korra anyway.
>>
File: only a little.jpg (25 KB, 275x288) Image search: [Google]
only a little.jpg
25 KB, 275x288
>>78887603
>about to paralyze Azula from behind again
>mfw, not this time
>>
>>78887502
>stop being so Jewish
>conspiracy idiot wants more serious cartoons

That's pretty funny.
>>
File: ur.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ur.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>78883763
>>78885204
> implying Liar Game wasn't already adapted
>>
>>78886547
Only Animes I've ever enjoyed were samurai x, deathnote, Yuyu hakusho, trigun, outlaw star and Gundam wing.

Everything else I have tried has been shit.

Excluding stand alone movies which have all been superb.
>>
>>78888532
Have you watched entry level anime like Code Geass, Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood?
>>
>>78887644
/co/ has been bitching about them non-stop. I haven't read the second volume which I believe is about Zuko's mom, but I really liked the first one.
>>
>>78889239
>>78888532
Watch Code Geass, it's a LOT like death note with mechs.
>>
>>78889334
>>78888532
>>78889239
tengen toppa gurren lagann is pretty based, good intro for mecha animes
>>
>>78878826
One trick pony that was only bearable for 1 season
>>
>>78889392
No it isn't, Patlabor is.
>>
>>78887603

Let's not be hasty, this could be anybody.
>>
>>78884092
The Heroic Legend of Arsalan is much older then Game of Thrones; there was a two-episode OVA in the 90's based off a successful novel series from Japan.

You know how Legend of Galactic Heroes, that anime nearly EVERYONE who ever watches it agree is a serious series with lots of depth and character development?

He wrote the Arsalan novels.
>>
>>78889585
>tfw watched so much other anime
>but never watched Legend of Galactic Heroes
Am I pleb?
>>
>>78887424
>only watching entry level shit
There's your problem anon. Anime was still a mistake, yes, but it would have taken you a lot longer to realize that if you chose actual decent animes to watch first.
>>
>>78889631
No, /a/ is pleb with them buying into the fan service and moe shit that Japan shills out these days. It's literally pandering to the lowest common anime consumer denominator in Japan.
LoGH is kind of niche because it's a more substance then style rather then style over substance...but it still has a lot of style. It's more like reading an exceptionally well-written novel series then anything /a/ ever watches.

I DO mean exceptional BTW; most actual novels I've read are less engrossing and deal with less complicated topics then LoGH does.
How many series are there at ALL
that treat a totalitarian empire and the democratic republican government as equal parties who aren't necessarily any better or worse then the other?
>>
>>78889727
>/a/ is pleb
It's the lack of funds though. Japan only rarely produces quality stuff aside from anthologies/shorts or big budget films.
>>
>>78889768
This is true, and highly unfortunate as Japan's economy does not look like it will be picking up for a very long time.
I didn't say it wasn't a sad situation, but when you only pay attention to newer mass-produced garbage stuff then you're kinda pleb; that's how it works.
>>
>>78873127
This is absurd, if anything in the recent decade there have been more of those kinds of shows than ever. Besides, it's not like when ATLA aired there have been dozens of shows like it.

Since anime was mentioned there are some interesting shows airing right now. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shijnuu. It's a realistic drama anime about a guy who has just left prison and aspires to do Rakugo, a form of traditional, comedic storytelling. He becomes the apprentice of a Rakugo master who made a show in his prison once (which is what inspired him). He also meets a woman who was raised by the guy and wants to become a rakugo storyteller herself.

The first episode so far was really grea, the characters aren't over-blown tropes and it was really entertaining despite not having any action or supernatural elements. There's a scene where the MC performs and it was amazingly directed. Great cinematography and animated character expressions.

On top of that this season also has Boku Dake, a supernatural mystery and Dimension W a sci-fi action anime. Plus, Grimgar which I am cautious of since the premise is the stereotypical - kids trapped in a fantasy setting. But it has some beautiful background animation and so far the story hasn't progressed much so it's hard to say anything.
>>
>>78889911
>horriblesubs
>>
>>78889727
>LoGH
Logh might be an ok book but it's a terrible anime. The visual direction lacks any sort of visual creativity. Since the exposition is done mostly through dialogue and the narrator the animation is nothing but still faces with clapping mouths going back and forth at the same angle.

The story despite aiming for realism lacks subtlety itself. The antagonists are usually idiotic and act harshly and irrationaly usually just to make the protagonists look smarter when they defeat them or to forcefully prove a point about the goverment being bad/corrupted etc.

There are so many anime with well written stories and with actually compelling visual design and animation which supports the narrative, but LotGH is not one of them.
>>
>>78889984
>There are so many anime with well written stories and with actually compelling visual design and animation which supports the narrative

name some senpai
>>
>>78890090
Anything by Masaaki Yuasa, Kenji Nakamura, Kunihiko Ikuhara, Mamoru Oshi, Isao Takahata, Osamu Dezaki, Eiichi Yamamoto, Ueda/Abe, Satoshi Kon, Hideaki Anno and Tsurumaki Kazuya
>>
>>78885204
>>78886024
Shitty endings don't ruin the rest of series for me. There were lots of great ideas in the series.
>>78887773
We're talking about animation.
>>
>>78889585

It's funny, because I thought the Arslan anime was very underwhelming. You can't even blame Arakawa for that, since the manga adaptian is much better. A big part of that, to me, is that it also focuses a lot on the events on the various antagonists' side (making the GoT comparison much more apt), while the anime is basically only about Arslan and his gang.
>>
>>78890219
>no Koji Morimoto
>>
>>78891179
I am just trying to shill The Genius, "reality" game show that ripped off Liar Game, because it's fucking amazing on it's own
>>
>>78891414
His works are more visual spectacles, the narrative is more of an excuse to experiment with animation.
>>
>>78887644
>>78889282
They're decent and they're improving. I don't get the hate.
>>
File: Disappointment.png (792 KB, 802x559) Image search: [Google]
Disappointment.png
792 KB, 802x559
>>78882868
Do we have a date for the new Samurai Jack?
>>
>>78889727
>le pleb
>moe shit
Kill yourself
Pro-tip: you can like both serious works and stuff like Yuru Yuri.
>>
File: 13675478952.jpg (44 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
13675478952.jpg
44 KB, 446x400
>>78895010
>you can like both serious works and stuff like Yuru Yuri.
>>
>>78889984
>lacks subtlety itself
That's the problem with many critically acclaimed anime series.
Especially Monster which had potential, but ended up being unwatchable garbage.
>>
>>78895352
Earth-shattering, I know.
>>
>>78873027
I think is mostly because there is still a mentally that, cartoons are for children and adult cartoons can be only comedies. the stuff with a more serious tone in the west are reserved for live action TV series and movies.
>>
>>78883108
>Thundercats too.
Why would you recommend trash?
>>
>>78895792
Then where's the serious live-action series? All we have is borderline comedic (most likely unintentionally) shit like True Detective, Game of Thrones and Mad Men. Not to mention completely horrible capeshit like Flash, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, etc.
The only reason to not drop television is possibility of another Twin Peaks season.
>>
>>78895879
He didn't say it had to be good.
>>
Action cartoons made money on toy sales

For some reason these sales don't help any more and they moved away from it, why exactly I'm not sure as kids buy toys still.
>>
>>78889768
I never get why people still watch shit because it is the medium they like
>>
>serious anything
What's the point?
Drama cartoons won't sell, horror has been dead as a genre for years if not decades, romance is boring, etc.
>>
Just how important are toy sales now a days? I know kids still gets toys but we are in a more technological time then when we were younger. More kids are gonna be messing around with games on their parents phones and ipads then playing with new toys.

I guess what I'm asking is how come more popular shows don't come out with a video game or an app or something now? Do big wigs really still rely on toy sales?
>>
>>78896077

Why so many of you want to be spoonfed? You easily put in "television drama 2015" and find a bunch of shit.
>>
>>78896999
>spoonfed
Nice meme, /a/utist.
Let me rephrase it for you, so your brain could understand it: television nowadays sucks. It's only serious if you're 12 years old and can watch all this garbage with straight face which also indicates retardation.
>>
>>78896727
Sonic Boom & Pac-Man aren't wowing anyone
we are getting animated movies based on decade old video-games with the other more "recent" IPs going to straight live-action
...all that leaves is the Angry Birds movie
>>
>>78895443
Because I don't think anime or animation in general aim for any sort of strong realism. By it's nature it's better when it's surreal, expressive or stylized. There are good anime that aren't "cartoonish" like Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, some Gundams, the later parts of Eva. But those aren't realistic, they're atmospheric and surreal.

Monster which you mentioned is probably one of the better attempts, though Nana is also pretty good in that respect.
>>
>>78897035
>television nowadays sucks.

No it doesn't, a lot shows on the air atm are really entertaining. You really think television 5,10,15 years ago was better?

Sucks for you if you don't enjoy nowadays.
>>
>>78880558
Korra would've done better if it hadn't been sabatoged by Nickelodeon after Book 1.

It was doing pretty great in the timeslot it had, on Saturdays at 11am. Book 1's average per Episode was 3.7 million viewers.

When Nickelodeon moved it to Fridays for Book 2 at 7pm(Ep1-4), then to Fridays at 8:30pm(Ep5-6), and then Fridays at 8pm(Ep7-14) that's where it began losing viewers. 1. because of the Friday night death slot it was in, which is notoriously bad for any show. 2. Because it kept moving time slots

Book 3 was then not even advertised and its release date was announced 1 week before by the first trailer. Causing viewership to drop even more.

Book 3 was then pulled off the air halfway through and it and Book 4 only aired online(though Book 4 began airing in TV too towards the end).

Just like all other recent action cartoons, Korra was sabatoged. Only difference is Nickelodeon didn't cancel it. Didn't stop them from killing off most of its potential ad revenue.
>>
>>78898848
>No it doesn't, a lot shows on the air atm are really entertaining.
Name some.
>>
>>78899304
Or the writing could have been better so people would want to watch it, which would have made Nick look at the show more favourably.

Sure, Nick could have worked harder to make Korra do better, but the product itself wasn't that good to begin with so why bother?
>>
>>78895792
most american live action is either comedy or drama desu.
>>
File: 1452383479541.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452383479541.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>>78899304
>>78898848
>>78895792
>>78873027
You guys probably know this already, but this woman is the reason Nick shot themselves in the head back in early 2006.

As soon as she became president:
>90s-early 00s shows were removed
>Shows like Avatar, Chalkzone, Jenny the waifu, The Xs, and Catscratch were treated badly
>Jenny the waifu was taken off the air in 2005, waiting three years before randomly airing the season 3 episodes (unlike in Asia which showed the S3 episodes in 2006-07)
>Chalkzone was also randomly taken off the air mid-season before airing the unaired episodes in 2008
>Catscratch and The Xs were cancelled after 1 season, rather than being given time to develop (yeah, I know not many people liked these ones)
>Avatar's third season was delayed by several months (supposed to air in May but instead aired in September), episodes were shoved around different timeslots when they finally came
>Nick Rewind block with 90s shows only lasted a few months before randomly being taken off
>SpongeBob had the "Best Day Ever" marathon where Karate Island was #1
>SB went into full-zombie mode as he started screaming and crying over everything, also more cruel humor (sqidward's toenail)
>Terrible shows like Naked brothers band, Back to the barnyard, and Tak and the power of Juju came on
>Spongebob and tweencoms were spammed every day for hours on end.
>Dan "The Man with the Master Plan to get her into My Van" Schneider basically controlled the network and turned it into the "soft porn for ephebophiles" network
>>
>>78899322

Mr.Robot,Empire,Elementary,The Shannara Chronicles(but that just started),Masters of Sex.American Crime and Brooklyn Nine Nine are all comfy.

Sorry for the late reply senpai.
>>
>>78890219
What about Yoshiyuki Tomino? Or Gen Urobuchi?
>>
>>78873027
I am writing a cartoon project since this summer
>http://pastebin.com/p3vp7Hcv
Would you watch this if it aired on TV?
>>
>>78884128
>new Justice League
say what now?
>>
>>78873027

As much shit as I will get for this...

Steven Universe. Overarching plot leading to some ending with character development that generally tries to be serious. There's some fucking awful episodes but the overall deal of it is kind of what your looking for.

Gravity Falls is also kind of like this but stays pretty silly without many serious or emotional moments.

The true answer however is if you want a serious cartoon, just watch some anime or netflix show. Cartoons are generally aimed at children, so unless the vocal part of the fans that speak up that they enjoy the show come out expressing such for such reasons, then all you can really expect to receive is kiddy garbage.
>>
>>78904046
it looks good. A very creative story but it would depend on the kind of animation to see if its serious or not i guess..
>>
>>78904046
I would just because I'm a sinophile
>>
>>78904678
For the graphic style I think of something stylised but realistic, like the Simpsons or Franco-belgian comics.
I used to let pictures colorized with photoshop in writefag threads. If you ever get to come accross this in archives.
>>
>>78904523
>Kiddy
>Garbage
Its just that producers are too cold to try today. The 80s were full of cartoons with orphans and serious problems. Think of "Nobody's boy Remi" for example or "The golden cities"
>>
>>78873027
Basic economics, that's why.

Animation is very expensive to make, and dramas, especially ones with season-long arcs, are a very big gamble for companies to take on. They're going to prefer easily accessible comedies each and every time, especially the "big networks" (CN, Disney, Nick) because their entire purpose is to shovel toys and shit into young kids' faces.

tl;dr - TV is a business and executives aren't artists.
>>
>>78905405
/thread
Not only that but also illegal downloading is killing any attempt at making new studios or small budget projects, leaving the big networks with an almost complete monopoly (which in turn become less and less risky). It is also the reason you see so many hiatuses.

If you want to save cartoons follow these simple rules: Buy what you like, download what you don't like.
As long as you are ready to spend money you become a market to fullfill. And if you don't want to spend always keep in mind that SJW are ready to. They had enough (parent) money in their pockets to become one.
>>
File: rose.gif (14 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
rose.gif
14 KB, 650x450
>>78878889
Steven Universe is so tonally inconsistent I'd hardly call it "serious"
>>
File: tots 2nd letter.jpg (2 MB, 556x4530) Image search: [Google]
tots 2nd letter.jpg
2 MB, 556x4530
>>78873027
From the creator of Wakfu on a potential third season before they did manage to secure it:

"The last stumbling block comes from the fact that channels are looking for more and more "kid friendly" serials and, most importantly, they have to be able to play around with their planning. Finding a show's best broadcast slot is an art in and of itself, and it is way more complicated to do with serials. In this way "animated serials" don't really have a future. I know how that sounds, but it's the truth...

While in the USA and England serials have never been more powerful, in many countries we are forced to do sitcoms... I have nothing against sitcoms, far from it, but I'd really like some variety... when Game of Thrones and other addictive series like it are clearly popular everywhere, it might be time to understand that what pleases us "adults" might also interest our children. We live in a world where the absence of moral beings is prominent and society's values become more and more that of reality TV and other such silliness. Why not offer our children real adventures rather than only just comedies? Life is made of laughter, drama and adventure, is it not? And those who, like me, have kids, know that they ask a lot more questions than us and most certainly don't spend their days on a cotton-candy filled rainbow, beautiful as the thought may be. They need heroes. Role-models of bravery. We can only show them mushy stuff, and that saddens me deeply."

Based Tot
>>
>>78906160
Its like this generation of Cartoons wants to make it seem like life is all shiny and fun like in tv
>>
>>78883242
OP is not talking about "serious" as in "serious shit happens" but rather as in "starts with a believable plot". He quotes Ben 10 for example, Ben 10 has a realistic style and setting but you would hardly call it a serious cartoon.

The best I have in mind for today would be Gravity Falls.
>>
>>78906395
Probably gonna get some amount of shit for this but its why I like One Piece so much. Fucking everywhere they go is littered with corruption, prejudice or war.
>>
>>78902866
>>78899322
Fargo is also pretty swell
>>
>>78899975
But people were watching it, anon. Book 1 was doing very good. If Nickelodeon hadn't fucked with its schedule and properly advertised it, it probably would've continued to do well. It had nothing to do with the whole "Korra is bad" meme that /co/ has now that those who liked the show have mostly left after the finale. Everywhere else enjoys Korra a lot.

It was everything to do with Nickelodeon, primarily this bitch>>78901470 that Korra lost viewers after
>>
>>78906844
People in general seem to agree that the ending episodes of Book 1 were bad even outside /co/.

And if people in general supposedly liked it, Book 2 wouldn't have lost half of it's viewers between seasons. It even managed to retain it's low viewer count throughout book 2 so they hardly lost anything to the slots being moved around.

So while Nick surely carries some of the blame, the show seems the more likely reason that people dropped it.
>>
>>78906395
This what happens when all art is made by a kind of people sheltered enough to believe that this is actually the case (aka hipsters)
>>
File: 1409323409445.jpg (28 KB, 359x291) Image search: [Google]
1409323409445.jpg
28 KB, 359x291
>>78906160
What would it take to make action cartoons popular again? I think a few solid hits could do it, or a shift in marketing towards an older demographic that grew up with toonami and the like. I can't imagine what network would be really to take the risks needed though, maybe Netflix. AS and Toonami might have some promise too with Samurai Jack.

Maybe we should just pray that Wednesday's lottery winner is /co/ enough to use their winnings in the pursuit of savings cartoons.

Maybe we should just pray that Wednesday
>>
>>78904678
What do you mean by creative? Is there anything that should be changed?
>>
>>78907791
>What would it take to make action cartoons popular again?
Toys.
>>
>>78908036
i just read the first episode and some of the introduction. I mean the plot is good and not something i have seen in a long time as far as i remember.
>>
>>78907791
>Marketing towards an older demographic
No. Rot in hell please. Manchildren are what have turned anime into a waifufest parody of itself
>>
>>78908099
Ah thanks. Could you help me finding new ideas for episodes? Also don't hesitate criticizing stuff you don't agree with so that I can improve
>>
>>78907791
I truely believe that there needs to be more shows with over arching plots. By default I feel like the older audience is drawn to them which leads to their fanbases. Like them or not, one of the reason steven universe or gravity falls have such large fanbases, autistic or not, is because of this. Another show that proved how well the overarching plot can work was OTGW. If more shows just told a story from start to finish we would get more action shows.

Networks keep shoveling out episodic episodes that are bound to get repetitive because of their nature. Its bad when even kids arent attracted to some of these shows after a ahile. God knows what they are even trying to do with fairly odd parents
>>78908084
That can't be the case. There is no way that the shows getting pushed now make toy sales. Fairly odd parents is coming back and I don't think its ever sold a toy
>>
>>78908364
>Fairly Odd Parents is coming back
Did it ever leave? Hasn't it been a walking corpse for awhile now?
>>
>>78908364
What is an overarching plot for you?
>>
>>78908364
Comedy and family friendly cartoons don't rely on merchandise as much as action oriented cartoons.
>>
Personally, I think the reason anime became popular is because of the lack of "serious" or adventure cartoons.
>>
>>78908544
Give me a min to read your story FF and I'll get back to you!
>>78908552
But what do theh rely on? If action shows HAVE to rely on toys, the other shows have to rely on something.
>>78908497
You're right but this new plot with the new girl I guess I meant.
>>
>>78904046
This gives me a kind of Space Dandy vibe. A couple of friends in space searching for a way to return home and trying to survive in the galaxy
>>
>>78907118
Book 2 lost half of Korra's viewers because it was moved from 11am on Saturdays(Saturday mornings are great for cartoons in general) in Book 1 to 7pm/8:30pm/8pm on Fridays, which is part of the "Friday night death slot". It's very bad for viewership and is usually where many shows are sent to eventually get cancelled. Combined with the fact that it changed timeslots 3 times without warning and took a long to come on the air and had subpar, but present advertising, its a wonder Korra got half the viewers it had on Saturdays.

Nickelodeon is at fault.
>>
>>78908701
>They have to rely on something
Audience rates+advertising
Thats all
>>
The current business paradigm is "Cheap, quick to make." which means comedies. Action cartoons need toys to support their cost and a lot of the new action franchises didn't sell toys.

That simple, sadly. Give it a few years and they'll try again.
>>
>>78909359
If people had wanted to watch it they would have. Moving it to the deathslot can account for some dropoff, but even after moving it around after book 2 aired they didn't really lose any viewers.

Also remember they lost further viewer count between book 2 and 3, where book 3 also kept losing viewers until it was taken off air at which point we don't know the viewer count.

So, yes Nick is at fault. But had the show been better it wouldn't have been a problem for LoK.
>>
>>78908544
Alright I read the plot and I like it. What I mean by overarching plot is that the story needs to progress from point A to point B. The path between anything can happen from stories that are used to world build, episodes that present a problem that is either resolved within the episode or over a few episodes which you have. However the point being that the end needs to be set and they need to get there.

Now I just have a few comments about the story. Is there going to be an antagonist trying to stop the main characters for any reason?

You have a few episodes planned where not much happens (episode 5 and episode 6 but episode 6 can be added to seven and turned into one episode)

Julie doesn't seem to get much love. For most episodes she just seems like she's just gonna Jules' the fat sister. Don't make too many episodes about her, but touch on her character more. Also don't make Jules' just become a badass too fast. It may have worked in a show like Wakfu with Yugo, but if you want the character to be the lazy kid with potential don't just make him lose the lazy aspect
>>
>>78901470
>woman
Well, of course.
>>
>>78909865
>If people had wanted to watch it they would have. Moving it to the deathslot can account for some dropoff, but even after moving it around after book 2 aired they didn't really lose any viewers.

They actually did lose viewers because Nickelodeon kept moving the timeslot without warning. The change in timeslot for Episodes 5 caused a drop that slightly recovered with Episode 6. The next change started with Episodes 7/8* which caused a slight drop from 6, but I thing Beginnings for advertised well so it might be caused a boost. The ratings went back up for the next two episodes, dropped slight for the next two(I think aired online first) and then were back up for the finale episodes.

And it's not like it was a slight dropoff. The death slot halved Korras viewership compared to the first season. It's a bad slot because people usually go out and do stuff Friday nights, not watch TV.

>Also remember they lost further viewer count between book 2 and 3, where book 3 also kept losing viewers until it was taken off air at which point we don't know the viewer count.

Book 3 was not advertised at all. It's release date was announced 1 week before it aired in the very first piece of advertising for Book 3, the official trailer. It lost even more viewers because hardly anyone knew it was coming back. Epiosde leaks resulted in further viewership decline.

It's also quite funny how you keep mentioning the show being bad, but yet it got critical acclaim all throughout its run. Book 3 even has a 100â„… on Rotten Tomatoes.
>>
>>78910057
Thanks for the tips.
There are some episodes I intend to have few stuff happening in, mostly those inside the spaceship, because they will help to understand that space travel is long (with Earth technology a simple trip to the moon takes two weeks). It will also serve as relief moments.
>>
>>78910700
>>78910057
As for the antagonist, probably yes. I have thought of the zoo director for a reason but that is related to the ending and therefore I can't speak about it yet
>>
>>78878826
should i start watching this if i L O V E D Atla?
>>
>>78911017
Of course Wakfu is great. Slow start but it picks up and its worth it
>>
>>78910425
Book 1 also kept losing viewers throughout its run, and gained them back for the finale, just like book 2. It seems normal to me atleast. This isn't unique to the change in time-slot.

The only consistent thing seems to be that they lost half their viewership between seasons, and i highly doubt it was all due to that change.

>Book 3
The lack of advertisement would explains the initial dropoff at least somewhat, but there was also a very large dropoff following that. So even when people knew it was airing they didn't want to take the time to watch. It was also rather easy to find information regarding book 3 and 4 if you had even a small interest in the show.

Well, the show was pretty bad. I'm just assuming most people don't care to talk about it because they dropped it after season 1 or 2, so they don't vote on rotten tomatoes for instance. Even previously hardcore fans on tumblr are starting to stop talking about because they didn't like it. I guess my point is that if you didn't like LoK most people wouldn't bother with it. /co/ seems like the exception.
>>
Live action can offer way better acting and expressiveness. What good action cartoon is anyway, if nobody can even get hurt?
>>
>>78911722
OP said serious not only action. As in first degree rather than randumb. Daria was serious for example
>>
>>78911821
Same with dramatic. Real actors would be better at acting then having to draw them.
>>
>>78911722
>Live action can offer way better acting and expressiveness
Except it can as long as you have a good budget.
Also
>implying live-action actionshit ever has good actors
>implying live-action actionshit ever has good fight choreography
Fuck off.
>>
>>78911722
Expressiveness (by which I assume you mean body language and facial expressions) is a lot easier in live action(just like giant robots and fantastical creatures are a lot easier in animation) so that's a fair point, as far as acting though, a good voice actor can bring as much life to the role as an actor can, we just don't have a great stock of good or great voice actors in the west because there is not as much demand for it. And characters can get hurt in cartoons, it is just a little less likely or censored more often since the target demographic is usually children.
>>
>>78882430
Why are you pretending Green Lantern, Beware the Batman, and Star Wars Rebels don't exist?
>>
>>78889548
I think it's pretty safe to say after >>78887665 has pointed out.
>>
>>78916418

I think it's just a fanatic who worships Azula as much as Ozai.
>>
>>78911722
That's some nice broken English bait right there. Go watch something hat isn't a Saturday morning cartoon and we'll come back to this.
>>
>>78903125
Yoshiyuki Tomino never really impressed me with his visual direction. He has nice stories and characters, but if I just read the script or a book based on his work I'd probably get just as much out of it. Besides, the guy basically made toy commercials most of his life, since that was the only way to make original anime back then. Anno was able to break away from that. On the subject of Anno, for me the best thing about Tomino is that he inspired him.

Turn A was pretty damn good though.

>Gen Urobuchi
I think you should read up a wiki article on him or something. The guy isn't a director or even an animator. Plus, even as a scriptwriter he's a pretty mixed back.
>>
So what are some series with actual narrative continuity? Of course excluding anime.
I'll try to list as much as I can myself:
Adventure Time
Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra
Cybersix
Gravity Falls
Moral Orel (partly)
Rick and Morty (partly)
Star Wars stuff
Steven Universe
Sym-bionic Titan
The Maxx
Tron Uprising
Wakfu

Anything else?
>>
>>78917537
85% of capeshit has it. The DCAU, Young Justice, The Batman, Green Lantern, Beware, 90's Spidey/X-Men/FF4/Hulk, Spectacular Spidey, Avengers: EMH, Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men Evolution, and many, many more.
>>
>>78908618
Nah, anime was at it highest points whenever America put some effort in "serious" cartoons (80's and late to mid 2000's)
>>
>>78917810
I was going to just point out capeshit in general but I forgot.

Gargoyles too.
>>
>>78917537
Ben 10/Alien Force/Ultimate Alien
Codename: KND(partly)
Teen Titans(original)
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!
Generator Rex
The DCAU
Young Justice
Gargoyles
The Boondocks
Thundercats(both)
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe(2002)
Godzilla: The Series
90's Spider-Man/X-Men/Hulk/F4
Green Lantern TAS
The Batman
Spectacular Spider-Man
Avengers: EMH
Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated
>>
File: 3x3.jpg (213 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
3x3.jpg
213 KB, 900x900
Anything I should check out that I might like?
>>
File: nuffin.jpg (941 KB, 2460x1497) Image search: [Google]
nuffin.jpg
941 KB, 2460x1497
>>78918125
Oh, we're doing this?
>>
File: Poster4.jpg (2 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
Poster4.jpg
2 MB, 2480x3508
>>78904678
>>78904681
>>78908099
>>78908833
I have managed to find back some pictures and a music I made for the project
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s1IskdkcIFxw
As you see my drawing skills were pretty bad but I am practising to improve
>>
>>78918916
Looks interesting, are you planning on doing it a Tv show? or Comic
>>
>>78919104
TV show of course
>>
File: rec1.jpg (404 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
rec1.jpg
404 KB, 900x900
>>78918125
>>
>>78906160
Strong words from the guy who did something as awful as Wakfu OVAs
>>
>>78919341
Tumblr has good taste.
>>
>>78918125

>that black thing with the gray background and circular eyes

u-unf, it hit a lot of things I find aesthetically pleasing

what's the name of this magical thing /co/?
>>
>>78919494
Over the Garden Wall.
>>
>>78919543

Welp. I should start watching it then.
>>
>>78897339
what is Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clantk?
>>
>>78918125
Venture Bros? If you've watched those, I'm assuming you've watched it already though.
>>
>>78919341
>never seen The Maxx or Aeon Flux
well, what the fuck are you sitting here for? Go fucking watch them, they're good.
Also
>not liking OtGW
Improve your fucking taste
>>
because I'm still trying to get my foot in the door so I can climb the ranks become a show creator
>>
>>78920571
I haven't actually, why do you recommend it?
>>
>>78922786
It's really funny. Starts off as a comedy and gets a real story by the second season while still being really funny. The characters develop a lot throughout the series. It's my second favorite adult swim show behind Moral Orel.

You gotta keep in mind that the first season is probably the worst in the series though.
>>
>>78922858

Agreed that season 1 is the worst, but it definitely is not bad in any way. So many hilarious moments.

>>Yo I just work here man, I don't even need this job nomore
>>
>>78883753
What do you mean they switched roles? Serious anime has been done since the 60s.

>>78884417
>I think due to most anime being really garbage in terms of animation
This is a myth.

>>78889727
>/a/ is pleb with them buying into the fan service and moe shit that Japan shills out these days
That's been going on since the 80s.

>pandering
Also a myth.

>>78889768
Anime has always been low budget, and they've developed their animation and production accordingly. Even One Punch Man, which everyone's recently been raving about because of its animation, had a normal budget. It's more about having a team of skilled animators and a well-managed production.
>>
>>78917900
Well if we are brining up gargoyles...

I recommend for what is on now is
Tmnt animated series on nick
Star wars rebels
Steven universe
Star vs the forces of evil is building a story.

And I'm not a hyper pony fan or anything..but my little pony can be pretty fun. Im sorry if it was out of line. I know how people feel about it.

And for old stuff
Transformers prime on Netflix
And beast wars
Also for kicks mighty max ;)
>>
>>78882868
i wonder who is voicing aku now?
>>
>>78925748
Mark hamill
>>
File: 22311431351135.png (293 KB, 1584x1712) Image search: [Google]
22311431351135.png
293 KB, 1584x1712
>>78917900
>Gargoyles
I love it but Greg Weisman really gives more information on the characters than I'd ever like to know.
>>
File: 1436037817908.jpg (42 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
1436037817908.jpg
42 KB, 430x430
>>78925257
>Star wars rebels
And it's probably selling merch pretty well given it's getting a season 3. Hopefully Disney lets it get a full run.

Maybe then we could even get a Clone Wars special or two.
>>
>>78919707
>animated movies based on decade old video-games
>>
>>78917537
The Legend of Prince Valiant
>>
>>78926293
I bet he does this just to get people to back off bothering him about spoilers.
>>
>>78877018
This guy get it
>>
File: akuu smug.gif (581 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
akuu smug.gif
581 KB, 500x375
>>78925748
>>78926209

I'd love the idea of Ozai taking over from Iroh.
>>
>>78873027
RWBY seems to have gone crazy dark these last few episodes.
>>
>>78873027
Korea got ruined in book 4. So fucking shitty.

I'm watching ATLA with my friend. I forgot how kiddy the opening episodes were. They're not bad, they're just nowhere near as good. Can't wait to get to Book 2.
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.