[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think my sexy based husbando Midnighter has a chance to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: Midnighter-1.jpg (58 KB, 300x455) Image search: [Google]
Midnighter-1.jpg
58 KB, 300x455
Do you think my sexy based husbando Midnighter has a chance to being at least nominated to an Eisner Award? The book figured in several best of the year lists, and it would really help avoid a cancellation.
>>
>cancellation
Why is no one reading Midnighter? I think it's great
>>
>>78864314
>has a chance to being at least nominated to an Eisner Award
I'm guessing no, Eisners are popularity contests and Middy doesn't sell well enough

The book might get a GLAAD award or something, that's better than nothing
>>
>>78864314
>DC
>Eisner
Ha
>>
The last issue wasn't all that but in general it's definitely been one of the better series of the year. Shame it's doomed.
>>
>>78864314
Orlando's definitely going to get nominated for a GLAAD award this year for Middy and/or Virgil...

It does make me glad to see Middy dominate so many Best Of lists last year...
>>
>>78864314
Pretty much the only things that can save him are his gayness and trade sales. Though if sales go below 10k then it's definitely over.
>>
>>78864792
>Getting a GLAAD award
This will kill him. RIP, Midnighter.
>>
>>78864314
>DC book
>getting nominated for or winning an Eisner

>>78864792
>>78865027
>Squirrel Girl gets nominated for GLAAD award for tranny side character
>Midnighter doesn't get nominated at all
>>
>>78864648
I read only straight white CIS males, sorry. Can't identify with gay supersoldier.
>>
>>78864648
>MUH OTP

Though in all seriousness, he's a c-list character who really doesn't line up with what people want. Those that specifically want a gay lead probably don't want to read ultra violence, and those that specifically want ultra violence probably don't want to see gay stuff actually happening. Also there are fans of Midnighter who are pissy about him not being with Apollo.
>>
>>78864314
The Eisners have been a joke for a few years now.
>>
>>78864648
The trade is having good preorder sales, at least.
>>
>>78865497
>Those that specifically want a gay lead probably don't want to read ultra violence
Are you a gay dude anon?
>>
>>78865708
I'm talking about teenage girls and young women who would probably rather want to read dudes cuddling and making kissy faces at each other than a man in leather ripping someone's arms off
>>
>>78865708
I think anon meant SJW types and tumblr fangirls who want tame gays like Wiccan and Hulkling, not somebody who's blatantly sexual and fucking loves violence
>>
>>78865497
I'm pissy about the fact that they relationship was handled poorly when they nu52 started, then they had a retcon and then they broke up.

If DC hadn't had a shit writer handle them before this run I honestly wouldn't care. Also, saying that Apollo is the endgame just rubs salt in the wound in a "don't expect him to get with apollo OR have a meaningful relationship".
>>
>people implying that the +10k sales drop between the first issue and the latest one it's because of "muh ship isn't canon anymore"
>>
>>78865744
>>78865791
That's a fair point. People looking for a super-romantic or a gay best friends comic aren't going to get it. But people looking for a comic which actually touches on modern single gay life will, and it's not like yaoi-style stuff is nice and fluffy: being dangerous is definitely a big part of why Midnighter is sexy. He has this slightly creepy/slightly skeevy leather aesthetic going on which is much more specifically a gay male thing, sure, but I don't think him being violent is necessarily as much of a turn-off as you're saying.
>>
>>78865833
>Also, saying that Apollo is the endgame just rubs salt in the wound in a "don't expect him to get with apollo OR have a meaningful relationship".
I don't mind it because I like seeing Middy explore relationships with other people even if he isn't going to be with them forever
>>
>>78865978
> +22k

oops
>>
>>78865497
Dammit! I'm a gay man who wants a gay lead character to kick the shit out of people

Batwoman was good, I am pulling Midnighter and loving it right now

Dammit, why do people have to suck?!?!
>>
>>78866175
A lot of the Midnighter/Apollo appeal to me was that they were a stable, relatively drama free relationship compared to other capes, so ymmv about it.
>>
>>78865148
There were plenty of DC nominations last year. Stop talking out of your ass
>>
When do they reveal Eisner nominations?
>>
>>78865497
>Those who want ultra violence don't want gay characters

Are you implying that people that like ultra violence are homophobic?
>>
>>78866444
The general public doesn't want to see or read gay stuff so I don't see why that specific group of people would want to.
>>
>>78865497
I for one welcome a gay/lesbian/whatever character that isn't squeaky clean and innocent and shit
>>
>>78867000
>meme word
Kill yourself
>>
Isn't this kinda the end game of inclusiveness? You just have a regular series filling a certain niche (in this case ultraviolence) and the main character just happens to be gay and nobody makes a big deal out of it? Marvel regularly makes legacy minority characters to increase sales, but isn't it even MORE progressive if you treat it as so trivial that it's not even worth using as a selling point?
>>
>>78867375
Well yeah, that's how it should be in an ideal world.

Unfortunately, the masses only care about gimmicks and scandalous headlines. Marvel making Iceman gay got more publicity than an actual well written book starring a gay character.
>>
>>78867375
yeah basically

the problem is we are not at the point where having a gay character can be not a big deal and Midnighter's visibility and sales are suffering because DC's trying to treat it that way
>>
>>78867462
Similarly, twitter and tumblr keep crying that Marvel doesn't have LGBT led books and that they made Herc full straight. However, the same people can't be bothered to support books like Midnighter, Constantine, Catwoman or Secret Six.

Marvel is the "hip" company and most of these people are under the impression that DC is the icky sexist, racist and homophobic company. They'd rather cry on twitter about Marvel instead of reading a good DC book that gives them what they want.
>>
>>78864314
I think he's cancellation-free until DC relaunches Batwoman. DC doesn't wan to get rid of their only gay lead book. It's bad enough the Pakistanian thing happened. Now if they cancel Midnighter, every SJW and Comic News Site will call them homophobic(despite 99% percent of them not supporting the comic)
>>
>>78868370
I wouldn't be surprised if a Batwoman relaunch were coming. It's been a year since she's had one and they'll probably want some batcharacters and supercharacters to help drive sales up more.
>>
>>78865194
Cis refers to gender, not sexuality, mate.
>>
>>78868783
>Valentine on Batwoman
Dare I fukken dream
>>
File: giphy.gif (809 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
809 KB, 300x169
>>78870087
>yfw Valentine plots a story where Kate and Bisexual Selena have to team up
>>
>>78864648
Because comics are for children and no child wants to read about a literally who
>>
>>78870087
Yes please god
>>
>>78870087
>Batwoman being written like an adult

yes
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.