[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Excited for the Luke Cage series, /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11
File: lukecage1280jpg-1ddd73_1280w.jpg (176 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
lukecage1280jpg-1ddd73_1280w.jpg
176 KB, 1280x720
Excited for the Luke Cage series, /co/?
>>
Not really, it;s not going to be as campy as it should be.
>>
>>78815871
Depends, is he gonna be soft, or is he gonna be a Hard Nigga
>>
>>78815871
Which villains is he going to have?
>>
For Mike Colter? Absolutely, he was my favorite part of JJ.

I wonder how Cottonmouth will be as a villain. I really have no idea who he is, but I loved Mahershala Ali on House of Cards so I'm hoping for the best.
>>
>>78815915
Cottonmouth, Black Mariah.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 640x639
Wonder if I'll get Bingo.
>>
>>78815871

Eh, tepidly. If it's like JJ, nope. Daredevil, yes. Hoping he does more than JJ's toss of terror.
>>
>>78815871
Not really.
>>
>>78815871
He's okay, but he's too much of a prettyboy. I want a real tough-ass, pipe-hittin nigga to play Luke.
>>
>>78815871
I'm not holding my breath for it, but yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>>78816157

Kinda this. Writers are so afraid to make black people anything but brave, noble, sensitive, kind, etc. I want a flawed, overly confident kinda dickish or headstrong Luke, as often portrayed in comics.. Something more than careful, vanilla characterization.
>>
It is torture waiting on the Iron Fist casting announcement.
I want to know if he will be white like he is supposed to be or if they will change him so I can suck it up and get over it after a few days of being pissed.
>>
>>78816393
No matter what happens, people will complain incessantly on Twitter.
>>
>>78816393

He's going to be Asian. They can't pass up the glowing press it'll generate.
>>
No because they casted a shit actor who wouldn't be able to ramp up the campiness that Luke Cage should have.
>>
>>78816431
>making the martial arts guy asian
It'll be a 50/50 split on press I think
>>
>>78816011
why did you not read luke cage's 70s solo /co/mblr
>>
>>78816431

If they make Danny asian, they need to make Shang white. Because that would be hilarious and rustle SO many jimmies.

No thing as bad press.
>>
>>78816329
>Writers are so afraid to make black people anything but brave, noble, sensitive, kind,

This is one of the myriad of dumbest things I will ever read on 4chan. Don't cucks like you complain about this when it comes to rap music videos portraying "hard" niggas and a criminal lifestyle but now you're saying writers are afraid of it?
>>
>>78816789

I have no idea what you're trying to say.
>>
>>78816789
Fiction about black people and music by black people are not the same.
>>
File: 1345870784744.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1345870784744.gif
983 KB, 500x364
POST YOUR FUCKING FACE WHEN WHITE DANNY
>>
>>78817315
No face needed because that's a normal thing we all deserve and any alternative is horseshit
>>
>>78816789
You're really confident that this anonymous poster is a hypocrite, even though you can't have any way of knowing what else they've ever said before. That's pretty dumb.
>>
>>78815871
This will be first Marvel-Netflix show I'm not going to avoid reading spoilers about before going in. But yeah, I'll still watch it. Iron Fist on the other hand, I really don't care about, unless it turns out to be a straight adaptation of the Brubaker/Fraction book with Fat Cobra and shit.
>>
>>78816123
who was the mysterious organization in jessica jones
>>
>>78815871
Kinda he was the best part of the series.

>>78815898
Id rather have it be more of the 90's gang camp than the 70s exploitation.

Not says the 90s camp would be better but its the only way to make him more relevant while still keeping the core of the character.
>>
>>78822684
The one that gave Nuke his pills, IHOP or some shit.
>>
>>78816048

And Shades.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/cotnmc.htm
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/shades.htm
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/blackmariahcage.htm
>>
>mfw it won't be jive as fuck

Anyway, what are the odds they'll make a Mr. Fish joke?
>>
>>78815871
Is Mr. Fish going to be in it?
>>
>>78823795
>>78823805

So popular that they sort of brought him back by introducing a hitherto unknown identical brother.
>>
File: IonVJOh.jpg (648 KB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IonVJOh.jpg
648 KB, 4160x3120
>>78815871
What is the difference between Luke Cage, Nicholas Cage and Johnny Cage?
>>
>>78816393
You would have to change his whole entire story origin, and character arc in order for that to happen. Danny is a very white character.

This #AAIronFist thing has been started and perpetuated by people that don't understand his character at all. He's a character that's required to be white.
>>
>>78817315
Gonna need a smugIronFistPepe with blue(or green eyes) in his eye holes, in preparation.
>>
>>78824299
Nicolas Cage named himself after Luke Cage

Johnny Cage is Van Damme
>>
>>78825652
Instead those people should just push for Shang-Chi to appear.

He can be the real Mandarin's kid since Fu Manchu is off limits to Marvel now.
>>
>>78816393
I know man, I'm a little obsessed. I check the storage everyday. Kinda nervous, tho, NGL. I know what websites I'll be avoiding when it comes casting time.
>>
>>78816616
Shawn Chi
>>
>>78825759
I want him to have his own movie/property, not just appear as a support to Danny.
>>
>>78822958
>Kinda he was the best part of the series.
He was boring. Anyway, I found everything on JJ boring
>>
I hope it's better than Jessica Jones, normally the Marvel's Netflix series are awful.
>>
>>78816789
rap videos are about fags presenting themselves as hard
I want this to be a faggot being presented as hard by somebody else
>>
>>78822684

IGH
>>
>>78827237
Iron Fist could blow them out of the water, but I don't know how they will approach it.
>>
>>78815871
>sweet christmas
Should release it on Christmas or something
>>
>>78825951
Well yes but they could tease his existence in the Iron Fist series first.
>>
>>78827237
>normally the Marvel's Netflix series are awful.

>2 shows
>both some of MCU's highest rated productions
>awful
>>
>>78815871
Absolutely
>>
>>78815913
"Power Man comin yo!"
>>
Either he owns "sweet christmas" or he doesn't say it at all

None of that "haha I said my comic book catchphrase lol nerds amirite?" shit
>>
>>78828909
Sweet Christmas will more than likely be the title of an episode.
>>
File: Smugnestro.jpg (74 KB, 406x434) Image search: [Google]
Smugnestro.jpg
74 KB, 406x434
>>78817315
>>
>>78828909
He's said it twice so far, and one more th=ime in and interveiw. It was cool that he said it, but I want him to SHOUT it
>>
>>78817315
You would you cast as ethnically correct Danny Rand, /co/?

If it's not Dan Stevens, your taste is lacking.
>>
File: boobs.gif (995 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
boobs.gif
995 KB, 245x245
>>78817315
>>
>>78825652
>>78816393
Danny just needs be a rich outsider to Kun Lu's culture and Luke's culture. That means he can be anything as long as it's rich and not inner city Black.

Iron Fist Power Man would work even if Fist was black if he was a carlon type, you people put too much focus on race. Open casting was the rigjt thing to do, as it is for most roles.
>>
>>78831629
>Iron Fist Power Man would work even if Fist was black if he was a carlon type, you people put too much focus on race.

No, it's about wealth and privilege. Rand inherited a multi-billion corp, Luke is a prisoner running from the law. This opposite is what makes the team so good. Rand HAS to be an entitled rich person for this team to work. He can lose that later, but he has to have it

Besides, who else is going to fund Heroes for Hire? Or what they are calling it..oh yeah, Defenders
>>
>>78831629
He's an orphan that loses it all, his parents, his privileges (both racial and financial), everything. And bare in mind he's been in K'un-Lun since the age of nine. NINE, he didn't enter KL a rich, white adult. It would be extremely contrived if after half of his life living there he's still treated like an outsider, if it's not based on a superficial reason.i.e. What he looks like. It's not like he doesn't change clothes and doesn't assimilate to K'un-Lunian culture. Villagers on the street can tell he's an outsider, just by looking at his face. Which, yes he doesn't have to be White, but it doesn't make any sense if he's ethnically K'un-Lunian.
And that only one half of his story. The other part is when he returns to America, and remembers what he forgot. He was born at the apex of social possibility. He's a rich white guy. The world of the rich, white bourgeois is something alien to him, which he explores. He doesn't wish to exert his will on the masses, but help the guy on the street, with his best friend. A black guy, who grew up poor from Harlem. Their social stations are lampshaded when together. What I love about them, though is despite this mild tension, they regard each other like brothers and would die for one another.

His race is very relevant. He's also the perfect character to have interesting and detailed ruminations of "White Privilege" on.
>>
Why does Marvel hate Asians?
>>
File: 1413396715807.jpg (394 KB, 936x1378) Image search: [Google]
1413396715807.jpg
394 KB, 936x1378
>>78816123
>2 series
>make a bingo chart

8/8
It's creative and you triggered me
>>
>>78833298
>bait
bingo is fun
>>
>>78816123
>Rosario Dawson patches up the main character
That should probably be the free space since her entire point was always to be the character who drifts from series to series patching up street level heroes. She's the Defenders' Coulson.
>>
>>78833298
Don't worry, I'm sure the bingo will be updated for every series with more stupidly? specific examples.
>>
>>78831629
*Carlton>>78832024
>>78832219

That's what I said. He doesn't need to be White, he just needs to be well off and not from Kun Lu or Harlem.

The idea that White is the opposite of black and that white=rich is racist bullshit.

He could be a bougoe dude from Nouve Rich Capital Heights, An Indian tech giant heir, a Chinese billionare family.
There are more privalged rich people in the world than blond white dudes. THAT'S what is core here, not his race

He could be made as a redneck and it would fail horribly despite being the "right" race
>>
>>78833480
It's almost like she's a nurse who moonlights on heroes at night.
>>
>>78833726
Someone cap this

>>78833787
Like somekind of...Sundown Surgeon?
>>
I dont want to see more shit with spartan locke
>>
File: black adam.png (601 KB, 594x542) Image search: [Google]
black adam.png
601 KB, 594x542
>>78833787
>>
>>78833726
>Iron Fist as an Indian
Please
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDH-vwVCKdU
>>
Should have just been Heroes for Hire
>>
>>78833936
That's Defenders

Who will be the villain?

IGH
>>
>>78833726
No-one said white=rich, but in Danny's case he's explicitly privileged in two ways, in which Luke is not. 1)He's white and 2) He's part of the 1%

Under the system of America's "White Supremacy" whites are at the top, and black people are usually at the opposite end of the spectrum. Sure, he could be another race, like South Asian. However, the difference with Danny being white is in America he wouldn't suffer racial based discrimination or "micro-aggressions", unlike Luke.

Their dichotomy isn't sharp if either Danny OR Luke's race is changed. Their dynamic isn't of a working-class minority member, being best friends with a rich minority member. It's a working-class minority member being best friends with a rich Majority member.

If America was a Han Chinese supremacy, for example, instead of a white one, I would then argue for Danny to be Han Chinese.

I mean, sure theoretically Luke's or Danny's race could change, but to say their dynamic would have the same social subtext/be the same would be a lie.
>>
>>78834526
Now this is an argument I can get behind. I don't agree ,but it's a reasoned logic statement that isn't just FUCK TUMBLR and stuff. Bravo.
>>
>>78834384

>Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Jessica Jones
>Defenders

What a shit team
>>
>>78834754
>Defenders of Hell's Kitchen
FTFY
>>
>>78834526
Also, this is why Danny hides his identity while Luke is totally open with it.
>>
>>78834754
After seeing a knife bend against his skin, I'd be happy to have him defend my neighbourhood.
>>
>>78834836

Hells Kitchen is a small neighborhood in Manhattan. Its not even a fucking borough.

Its like the people who made the Netflix tv shows have never even been to New York
>>
>>78835094
Because the Marvel Universe New York is just like the real one
>>
>>78835094
Matt-Hells Kitchen
Jessica-Brooklyn ?
Luke-Harlem
Iron Fist-Chinatown

Defenders of the Streets
>>
>>78835043
Should nt that be reverSed?
>>
>>78815871
I pretty much just watched Jessica Jones for the Luke Cage segments.
>>
>>78834621
Why thankyou, Anon.

>FUCK TUMBLR and stuff

It's funny, because me using Social Justice terminology before on this board, as gotten me the classic.
>FUCK OFF B2TUMBLR!!11
routine. But, I certainly don't feel welcome there. Way too hostile.

What am I, Anon?
>Schrodinger's SJW

I'm the sort of people that could give less of a woot about race-bending, UNLESS the race of the character is relevant to their story.

I was considerate of the #AAIronFist campaign, and tried to figure a way how you would make it work, using his origin as it stands. Then I noticed people who were for this idea were doing so based on a fabrication of his origin. He wasn't a rich, white adult who traveled to the east in order to seek their knowledge, and to humble himself. Then frees them of their bondage and is way better at Kung-Fu then them after only training for a few months. If that's case I can understand people's ire. It would be far less inflammatory if he was a K'un-Lunian re-connecting to a culture he left behind. (Danny, however is young orphan raised there, he's a "fish out of water" when he comes back to America.) Unfortunately, this incorrect reading of the character has spread so much, it's now dominated any and all Iron Fist conversations. Marvel laying on his casting for a year and a half has made this grow into a boil. Compare and contrast this to Dr Strange. (Where a white adult, westerner humbling himself to Asian mystics, actually holds more presence, yet not much fan backlash.)

There are loads of think-pieces slandering his character based on these misconceptions and one astute Anon put this down perfectly and convinced me his story wouldn't work as any other race, BUT Caucasian.

https://desustorage.org/co/thread/78238958/#78242766
>>
>>78833828
No, like a Midnight Medic.
>>
>>78834754
Dob't forget, Punisher and Elektra may join in and JJ may decide to call it quits.
>>
>>78835530
Some might call her... the Darkness Doctor.
>>
>>78831629
it's funny that the same people that say stuff like this would be the first to bitch if they made Bruce Wayne anything other then a rich white guy
>>
>>78835580
The Twilight Tenderer?
>>
>>78835329
I heard Iron Fist may be based in Queens.
>>
>>78835043
Yeah, a white guy fighting crime in Harlem, may raise some eyebrows.
>>
>>78835606
Bruce works as a rich anything. Now the idea of the Waynes as old money has crept in, which put limits, but it isn't totally necessary.
>>
>>78835767
Iron Fist is based no matter where he is.
>>
>>78836142
>ICWhatUdidthere.jpg
>>
>>78823795
Mike Colter wasn't comfortable with that. He only signed on when Jeph Loeb and co, told him it would be updated.
>>
>>78835329
Jessica is still Hell's Kitchen. Danny's may be Queens, but I can see him hanging around China Town, just because it reminds him of home.
>>
>>78834384
We'll probably get H4H in The Defenders.
>>
>>78836023
Which other races could work with an old money background, other than white people? Genuine question.
>>
>>78815871
Actually yes, I liked him in JJ. He's way too mellow for early Luke at this point though, but I guess I can deal with that.
>>
>>78816123
That Rosario Dawson one in cell B-2 is pretty much a freebie, more so than the shit beating that you put in the center where the traditional free space goes. I think Jessica had like two whole episodes in her show she wasn't thrown out of a building or something, and Nelson vs. Murdock had Matt beat to shit at the start and I don't think he got beaten any more before it ended.
>>
>>78839291
I hope Danny's fights have more finesse, and he doesn't beat the same guy for five minutes, and is spent on the last punch.
>>
>>78828748
If they tease the existence of a great Chinese Martial Artist, taking out triads gangs in NYC. I could see it. Just for an example.
>>
>>78816329
>brave, noble, sensitive, kind, etc.
He would have killed a bus driver if Jessicca didn't stop him...
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.