[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the druggist drug user in comic writing? Hard mode: no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 236x347) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 236x347
Who is the druggist drug user in comic writing?

Hard mode: no Grant Morrison.
>>
>>78800501
After Morrison it's probably Moore.
>>
>reminder that Del Close wrote comics
>>
File: man-thing-17-009.jpg (813 KB, 1892x1352) Image search: [Google]
man-thing-17-009.jpg
813 KB, 1892x1352
The 70's Marvel writers

Steve Gerber, Steve Engleheart, and Jim Starlin
>>
File: sclaywilsonportfolioback[1].jpg (391 KB, 966x756) Image search: [Google]
sclaywilsonportfolioback[1].jpg
391 KB, 966x756
The real answer though is probably S. Clay Wilson.
>>
File: Necesito mas...mucho mas.jpg (66 KB, 546x366) Image search: [Google]
Necesito mas...mucho mas.jpg
66 KB, 546x366
>>78801326
good god that's fucking awesome
>>
>>78801385
That was basically the only "worksafe" S. Clay WIlson drawing in existence.
>>
>>78800501
Some of the R. Crumb stuff gets pretty blunted
>>
>>78801326
> S. Clay Wilson.

I just remembered his medical condition and got sad
>>
I really hate that whenever something weird happens, people with no creativity call it drugs. Just fuck off with that shit. Sure some artists use drugs but it's not a reqesuite for weird stuff.
>>
>>78800501
Raven. He wrote a Spider-Man short about Crusher Hogan.
>>
>>78801322
This is the correct answer. This is the spark that Morrison and the other druggy British Invasion guys fanned higher.
>>
>>78801322
I wonder what drugs they took. Seriously some of their later work makes me think they stopped using or their quality diminished somewhat.
>>
File: meta_04_086-0871.jpg (2 MB, 2460x1514) Image search: [Google]
meta_04_086-0871.jpg
2 MB, 2460x1514
>>78804416
As fun as it is to think that's what happened, I think it was just a simple matter of them buying into their own hype and knowing they work would sell on name alone. Especially Englehart; reading through that dude's website is a little difficult with how much he pats himself on the back.

Gerber stayed pretty solid until the end, though.

>>78800501
Another favorite of mine is Jodo. He didn't have as many freeform and crazy panel/color ideas, but the actual substance he included in each idea post-Incal is admirable as well as mind-boggling. I mean, a child that saves its body through blowing up his head (housing its corrupted soul born of incest) is just as unreal as these guys, if you ask me.
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 499x495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 499x495
>>78804834
>I think it was just a simple matter of them buying into their own hype and knowing they work would sell on name alone.

I dunno, when you look at the difference between their writing style and visuals in the 70s/80s vs today their work feels like it's not influenced by drug induced writing.
>>
File: starlin_absolution.png (2 MB, 776x1076) Image search: [Google]
starlin_absolution.png
2 MB, 776x1076
>>78805070
No, they were totally on drugs; look at some of this shit. What I mean is the difference between all the great shit you posted and their later work can be summed up as "playing it safe" as opposed to "uninspired" (books with simple ideas, more down-to-earth characters, etc). This tells me that it wasn't a matter of them trying and failing to capture the magic, merely that they just didn't feel the need.
>>
Starlin is open about his use of LSD during the Warlock run and most of his 70's comic stuff.

He was an aviation photographer in Nam and just spent his days looking at pictures of the worst of the worst of Vietnam war atrocities so when he came out he just dropped out and tripped all day. That's when he realized his strict Catholic upbringing was BS too which is why Warlock, Dreadstar, etc. are always tackling evil beguiling space popes.
>>
>>78805344
Sorry meant to say "no longer on drugs". They were definitely tripping in the 70's/80's
>>
>>78805352
>Starlin is open about his use of LSD during the Warlock run and most of his 70's comic stuff.
The best stories are about him and all those other Marvel guys just walking down the streets of New York (in the 70s, even) just whacked out on drugs.

I wish this was still a regular practice of the Marvel bullpen.
>>
File: an_idiot_savant.jpg (7 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
an_idiot_savant.jpg
7 KB, 246x205
>>78800501
â–¶Ralph Bakshi
>>
>>78805495

It was until Jim Shooter fired all of them. But /co/ still sucks his cock because he managed to replace them with no-talents who could meet deadlines.
>>
>>78805612
The extent of criticism or analysis on /co/ is superficial shit like pacing, likeable characters, etc. Of course they're going to love the guy who turned almost turned comics into a corporate, assembly line product and not a unique/singular personal work.
>>
>>78805612
Pretty sure Gerber at least was awful with deadlines so that's on him.

Starlin quit or moved on to other projects like dreadstar, I don't recall him getting on Shooters bad side.
>>
>>78806423
Gerry Conway's failed attempts at EiC were technically the reason Starlin and Englehart left. When they came back, Shooter graduated from second in command and established his even stricter policies, which went over just as smoothly.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.