[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the appeal of Achewood? Don't get me wrong, I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: achewood.png (92 KB, 697x460) Image search: [Google]
achewood.png
92 KB, 697x460
What was the appeal of Achewood?

Don't get me wrong, I love it
I just couldn't tell you why
>>
achewood is GOAT
I have no idea why either
>>
I don't know either. It wasn't quite coherent, but it wasn't randumb either.

It's like drinking with your three best friends and talking about philosophy. Nobody really remember what's happening, but there is some line of thought.
>>
File: achewood.png (79 KB, 480x321) Image search: [Google]
achewood.png
79 KB, 480x321
You're all retarded
Achewood is GOAT because, unlike tumblr and your childhood, Achewood shows modern relationships between men. Not in a 'nostalgic for lumberjacks' way, but in a way that says 'here are dudes, and they're hanging out being dudes doing dude things'.

Achewood is the manliest webcomic out there (oxymoron) because it's not trying to push an agenda, impress anybody, or really be anything. It shows how men talk to each other.

Achewood is the anti-tumblr.
>>
>>78631139

>you're all retarded

And the author is most probably autistic or heavily dyslectic, because I have no idea what any of the characters are saying in most speech bubbles.

The comics are completely incoherent, so I can't even tell if it's good or not.
>>
File: comic[1].php_date=04032003.gif (30 KB, 700x486) Image search: [Google]
comic[1].php_date=04032003.gif
30 KB, 700x486
It's just well-written. The characters have distinct and likable personalities that are amusing to see in interaction. I'm not going to pretend I always comprehend the dialogue, but when I do, it's often extremely hilarious.
>>
>>78631302

>incoherent

Then you have no grip on slang whatsoever. It's mostly pretty obvious if you think about how he's twisting language for five seconds.
>>
>>78631302
>dyslectic
is this b8
>>
>>78631302
english isn't even my first language and i can understand most strips fine
>>
>>78631139
Jesus fucking christ, really? We seriously can't even have an Achewood thread without some retard storming in to poke everyone with his hate boner for tumblr?

Fuck you /co/. Fuck you.
>>
If you put me on the spot, I would have to say a lot of the appeal comes from the juxtaposition of intellectualism, crudeness, and a vast reservoir of both out-of-date and in-date slang. But it's mostly just good writing in general.
>>
You know what? It really is damned hard to explain why I like Achewood. I never realized that.

If I had to muster up an answer, it's because it's just so unbelievably well written in terms of dialogue, and that has helped to give the characters a level of depth that you rarely if ever see in comics. 50 years of Spider-Man, 75 years of Batman, and I don't think they've had 1/20th as many good lines of dialogue as Ray or Roast Beef. And I would honestly and truthfully put GOF up there as one of the greatest story arcs in all of comics history, probably in the top 30.
>>
The way the characters talk is fascinating. It doesn't seem to connect with a lot of people though, as a few people in here have mentioned. Plus near the end he was starting to layer on the character talk way too hard. I've loved Achewood since 2004 and in that aborted Ray in Rehab arc, some of the talk between Cornelius and Roast Beef is totally incomprehensible to me, so I get it if someone says the dialogue makes no sense to them.

But yeah, when he doesn't layer on the verbal quirks to the point where it kills whatever it's trying to say, the voices the characters speak in are incredible. I want to link a couple of the blog posts he kept in the voices of the characters just to illustrate how much I like Onstad's writing:

http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2005/01/korean-bbq-lunch.html

http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2005/07/rock-star-died-at-27.html

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2011/12/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html
>>
File: rallycars.gif (34 KB, 700x486) Image search: [Google]
rallycars.gif
34 KB, 700x486
>>
>>78630845
You love it because it was the cool thing to love at the time. It's actually just shit.
>>
File: moron.jpg (25 KB, 246x220) Image search: [Google]
moron.jpg
25 KB, 246x220
>>78635747
achewood could have 24/7 generals and a homestuck tier fandom and i'd still love it every bit as i do now

faggot
>>
Didnt the author stop updating?
>>
>>78631139
What is this? A comic for ants?
>>
>>78632959
The Great Outdoor Fight is without a doubt, one of the greatest story arcs of all time. It just feels real, like this was an actual event he put his characters into.

That's a good way of thinking about it. I love how you could take a quote, and know who said it 9/10 times without seeing them.

>>78634018
>Those blogposts
My sides. I don't remember why I hadn't read those before.

>>78635964
He's done a few new ones in the last few weeks.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.