[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get a weeb into comics? >page flow and structure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: Artesia_3.jpg (686 KB, 1600x1244) Image search: [Google]
Artesia_3.jpg
686 KB, 1600x1244
How do you get a weeb into comics?

>page flow and structure are too rigid
>western comics aren't diverse enough
>characters don't yell out their names

Surely everyone's been in such a position at some point?
>>
Just give 'em Usagi Yojimbo, and let them go from.
>>
>>78608554
don't give them capeshit
>>
>>78608554
Call them graphic novels.
Show them indie award wining shit, they bare BW and badly drawn, just like what they are used to.
>>
>>78608554
Give them European shit. American mainstream cape novels should be avoided at all costs.
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781 KB, 1946x1660) Image search: [Google]
1446407365373.jpg
781 KB, 1946x1660
>>78608554
>western comics aren't diverse enough
The OP of this thread isn't into comics. How do we get OP into comics?
>>
>>78608554
Ronin
Kurt Busiek's Conan
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
Planetary
Scout
Twisted Toyfare Theater
Hard Boiled
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
All Star Superman
Silver Surfer Requiem
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Dirty Pair (the ULTIMATE western comic for weebs)
Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
Shaolin Cowboy
Get Jiro!
Sin City
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year One
Hitman
Garth Ennis' Punisher (in particular Welcome Back Frank, Born, The Tiger, The Cell, Barracuda [miniseries], Punisher [MAX] #1-60, and War Zone [miniseries])
Robotech (Comico era ONLY)
Badger
Nexus
Mister X
Fearless Dawn (including The Bomb, Strange Battle Tales, Strange Pirate Tales, and Strange Fairy Tales)
Godzilla In Hell

If none of those appeal to you then probably nothing will.
>>
>>78608554
Same as with anyone else: if they like [genre], give them a comic about [genre].
>>
You dont, most comics have stupid drawn out plots and backstories that means you have to read a fuckton just to understand one comic. There are some graphic novels and stuff that might work, but any of the major companies comic books are just for hardcore autists.
>>
>>78608554
>How do you get a weeb into comics?
Tell them to use Google and stop acting like it's my job to tell them what to read.

>Surely everyone's been in such a position at some point?
Speak for yourself. I couldn't give two shits if someone wants to get into comics. That's their problem.
>>
>>78608554
>characters don't yell out their names

This is a damn shame. I wish they did
>>
>>78608993
das capeshit, m8
>>
File: 1444746148069.gif (92 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1444746148069.gif
92 KB, 267x200
>How do I get into x
Find things that look good and read them
>>
>>78608993
>graphic novels

>fedora.gif
>>
>>78608993
not really. I read and gave two of my friends Superior Foes of spiderman. Neither of us paid any attention to spiderman comics and all of us loved it.
>>
>>78608554
Give them a none capeshit book, preferably that's a story, not just slice of life abstractions and with a ending, like Y: The Last Man. I was how it happend with me I even convinved myself I loved the whole thing, even after it goes don't hill once the lesbian pirate joins the crew.

Now, with that said, if we knew what the person in question likes it would be better, even thought the most "hurr durr get out weeb faggot" might deny it, manga offers a lot of unique experiences that western comics can't/won't (or aren't interested in) reproducing.

The reason people like the Shonen Jump action titles that most western elitists like to parody, is that they are action titles were what matters is the fights, so the comics feature actions sequences that are long, but also much more dynamic. Most cape fights have no weight or flow to them, they are a couple people possing for about three pages, then it's over, usually by an asspull or single "decisive hit".
There is also shoujo/jousei manga, usually romance/drama or romantic comedies, that highly appeal to woman. Those works... well, WORK, because they are not pretentious. They know they are simply soap opera style titles with campy appeal, so you are free to enjoy them in a more care free fashion to the point you end up deeply caring for the characters without even realizing. There are also the occasional stand out of the genre, like Oniisama E, Rose of Versailes, Nana, Paradise Kiss, etc. that have quite a lot of character dept and nice dramatic (if not a little melodramatic) writing.
The rest is the rest, but I have to disagree >>78608895 , when he says western comics are just as diverse as manga (or even the french). The incredible amount of works regarding even the most niche genres (or subgenres of genres) is what makes browsing any given online manga reading site so fun.
>>
>>78608554
>manga is "diverse"
This is a blatant lie. 95% of scanlated manga are falls into 3 or 4 genre categories and has very predictable and simplistic plots, characters and art styles.
>>
>>78608554
>How do you get a weeb into comics?

Miller's stuff. He's a huge fucking weeb. Also don't give them capeshit. Something like Hellboy, Godzilla or Orc Stain should easily be able to bridge the gap, to name something.

The French, Belgians and Italians are putting out a lot of good stuff as well.

>>78609620
The only genre that's practically nonexistant in Japan's military fiction. The Franco-Belgians have been doing military aviation/adventure comics for a long time now and they've been releasing a lot more WW2 and WW1 titles in recent years.
>>
File: 0001twe9.jpg (201 KB, 952x613) Image search: [Google]
0001twe9.jpg
201 KB, 952x613
>>78609620
>they are a couple people possing for about three pages

Well, now.
>>
I used to be an absolute turbo weeb; manga, videogames, anime, I loved it all and totally ignored Western media.

What led as a gateway for me where the Arkham games, starting with asylum. The references in the files got me interested and I bought a few books, started browsing /co/, saw a few Booster Gold threads, he got me into DC's wider canon and I went from there after getting into Blue Beetle ( Jaime, who is probably the most 'anime' character in DC's recent history ).

I guess you just need that gateway comic or media, but if they refuse to touch it full stop, you'll have problems. You can't force someone to like something.
>>
File: khl139.jpg (356 KB, 1120x1600) Image search: [Google]
khl139.jpg
356 KB, 1120x1600
>>78608902

>Dirty Pair

Hang on.
>>
File: zagor.jpg (36 KB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
zagor.jpg
36 KB, 400x308
>>78608554
By not doing the mainstream thing because mainstream comics, in NA at least, are cape garbage. You won't find anywhere near the diversity you'd get in manga, for example. Graphic novels are really your best bet Who knows, maybe they end up liking the older stuff more?
>>
>>78610442
Adam Warren did some licensed ones.
>>
File: 1449398570403.jpg (39 KB, 851x623) Image search: [Google]
1449398570403.jpg
39 KB, 851x623
There are some angry as fuck dudes in this thread and I don't think they should be as upset as they are.
>>
>>78610555

The empowered guy?

Neat.
>>
>>78610561
I think the angriest thread on /co/ is always the Star War Rebels thread
>>
>>78608554
Maybe, like, tell them to learn French.
>>
>>78610561
they're just upset because they stay at home and do nothing while other people succeed, or at least try, in anything else.
>>
>>78610442
The comics are western. The characters are Japanese. It's no different than IDW doing Godzilla comics.
>>
If they are interested, they are interested.

If not, you are just going to make them hate it with pushing your hobbies on them.
>>
>>78608554
>Artesia
Muh nigga! The Artesia RPG was the best thing to happen to /tg.
>>
>>78610342
>Well, now.
Jojo is actually a perfect exemple of what I mean.
In Jojo, the characters have to use their brains, the environment around them and use their powers (that might even seem lame at first glance) to win a fight.
In, let's say an X-book, a fight usually goes:
>Characters show up, Big team shot with characters showing off their powers (Bobby doing his Ice Skating, Storm summoning some lightning)
>Villains react, one physical type characters jump (i.e poses) at them and another blasts them with some kind of energy attack (ice and fire blasts also count).
>Heroes react, Wolverine, Beast and/or Colossus jumps at them. Bobby Ice blasts them, Cyclops OPTIC BLASTs them.
>This goes on for like a page showcasing the powers of the currently featured mutant until Jean or Prof.X mindrape the villains or Logan scores a lucky hit and stabbs somebody
>Villains are captured or escape
>The end.
Those are both books abot young people with super powers fighting other super powered foes, but they go about their fight scenes in a completly different manner.
>>
>>78611018
That's a pretty big generalization. I've read both Jojo and X-Men and can point out times where the exact opposite is true.
>>
>tfw my weeb buddy is down with comics and I'm down with anime
>>
Ask them what weeb shit they like and give them suggestions based on that. Weebish friend of mine loved FLCL so I gave him Scud and Nextwave to read.
>>
I remember why I left manga and anime for western stuff.

I always had both, but was more into manga until

>can guess the end of sentences because japanese writers always use the same expressions and sentences
>get sick of some things like recurring tropes and characters repeating what others just said, or commenting on what's happening
>discover Hellboy
>discover /co/
>Avengers comes out
>go read about Thanos and read Infinity Gauntlet and Quest on /co/
>pick books out of random choice and just read
That's how it started.
>>
You keep throwing good comics at them I guess? I didn't get into manga until i found stuff I liked
>>
>>78608554
Show them Scott Pilgrim.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.