[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It's 2016 Where the fuck is my spin-off series?, comic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
>It's 2016

Where the fuck is my spin-off series?, comic books?, graphic novels?, more video games?

This has to be one of Disney's most profitable piece of merchandise so why aren't they fucking capitalizing on it? Plus, I believe there are still a ton of potential stories to tell in the Nightmare Before Christmas universe and I demand an explanation why we haven't seen them come to fruition yet goddamnit!
>>
All you're getting from this is cameos in KH.

That's if because Halloween Town always needs to be a recurring area in the game.

Just once I wanna see KH reference other Tim Burton shit like Scissor Hands, Corpse Bride, and Paranorman.
>>
>>78583118
Is Tim still trying to get the rights back?
>>
>>78583189
None of those are owned by Disney, and paranorman is not burton
>>
>>78583205
Tim Burton only wrote and illustrated the poem the movie was based on, he didn't actually have anything to do with the movie.
>>
>>78583189

Not sure is troll or just stupid.
>>
File: tumblr_mzctemLag41roembco1_500.gif (406 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzctemLag41roembco1_500.gif
406 KB, 500x356
>>78583189
So much wrong with this one post holy shit.

First of all, Corpse Bride and Scissor Hands is owned by Warner Bros and 20th Century Fox respectively and secondly not only is Paranorman a creation of Laika Studios but Tim Burton has absolutely nothing to do with it.

You fucking Dingus.
>>
>>78583118
You know what's worse? The fact that every MNSSHP the line for Jack and Sally is 2+ hours and still disney won't do a concelead double-line like Ariel's.
>>
>>78583296
That's not even close to being as bad.

I really want to see more out of TNBC, a sequel will not happen and that's for the best but I think by this point, a comic book line or an animated series is more then welcome.

Hell, I'll settle for a little LITTLE kids show on Disney Junior, I will gleefully watch Oogie being sung a song about proper table manners, I think were in a in time where demons and cadavers teaching kids life lessons and morals is not out of the norm.
>>
>>78583388

New material woud be way more expensive than a double-line, though.
>>
>>78583463
Just HOW rich is Disney exactly? Plus have you even seen the TNBC fanbase? Their ravenous and being a Nightmare fan myself I can confirm this.

Give 'em a comic book series by IDW or something and they'll eat it up, the potential in profits is there, Disney just has to see that.
>>
>>78583526
>Plus have you even seen the TNBC fanbase? Their ravenous and being a Nightmare fan myself I can confirm this.

When did TNBC get a fanbase? I remember watching it back in 1993, the theater was almost empty, nobody knew this movie existed wheneve I tried to talk about it. Dropped my jaw when I saw a screenshot in KH and fucking Jack Skeletor was there.
>>
>>78583595
This my dear anon is called a Cult classic.

Nightmare gained immense popularity years after it's debut, KH is a big contributor to this as the Nightmare popularity train first started in the early 2000's and it's appearance in KH propelled it's popularity even further.

You mean to tell me that you've never seen Nightmare merch plastered everywhere in stores? especially during Halloween and Christmas time?
>>
Does anyone else not understand this movie's fandom? I mean, it's a fine film and all, and the songs are catchier than they should be considering how clunky the lyrics are, but it seems to me to be a pretty complete, done-in-one holiday story. I really don't get the obsession with Oogie Boogie, because he felt tacked on because a Disney movie HAS to have a villain with a big musical number. I'm still not sure what he wanted out of the whole Sandy-Claws-kidnapping. He's just "that jerk that Jack dislikes but shares only 1 scene with".

It's been so long that any sequel would feel like it only exists to pander to Hot Topic and nostalgiafags, so why not just hope that Henry Sellick gets more work?
>>
>>78583526

The thing is, MNSSHP is something that happens every year. It's a hard ticketed event. AND the only chance to see Jack & Sally all year.

From a business point, adding another line and giving chance to people to spend more time at the rest of the parade (and spending more money inside the resort) is more benefitial.

Plus, they could reuse the double line for some other popular m&g the rest of the year.
>>
>>78583595
Also, the main reason Nightmare didn't do well at first is because most critics panned it for it being too scary for kids and too childish for adults and doesn't that sum up pretty much all the greatest "kid's" movies in history?
>>
>>78583756
I thought Jack and Sally were also creeping around during Christmas time as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kUpfQWabzs
>>
>>78583734
I don't live in america, never saw a single piece of merchandising until maybe 2004. I watched it so much on vhs that it broke though, and my first mixtape was the soundtrack.

>>78583773
I can't imagine what was so scary, the characters are all cute little puppets and jack has a big smile on his face at all times.
>>
>>78583738
Oogie's just a fantastic character and it was explained in that Gameboy game that Oogie tried to steal Halloween and turn it into a bug themed holiday, sure you can argue the game might not even be canon but eh, nto sure if you need a backstory, Oogie is just a jerk and he and Jack hate each other for mysterious reasons (unless the Gameboy game is canon).

I just feel like theirs a lot of potential in continuing the story in another medium like a cartoon or comic series like, the alternate ending of the movie was explaining the aftermath of Jack's events like all the holidays finally knowing each other's existence, Jack and Sally's relationship and the fact they had six fucking kids.

They can show their six kids and show how different they are and how they view the holidays, so many stories can be told with them, they can even bring Oogie back again and make him either a neutral jerk or a straight up villain again, Jack interacting with the other holiday leaders can be fun to see, we can see Jack notice how commercialized Halloween and/or Christmas is in the human world and wanting to make them traditional again, how does Day of the Dead work in the Nightmare universe? the list goes on.

Also, I don't know about you but I for one would love to know the stories behind the other denizens of Halloween Town, I want to know just what kind of person the Harlequin Demon is and wither or not the Devil is actually Satan himself or a lesser imp.
>>
>>78583118
>one of Disney's most profitable piece of merchandise
Did it become 2007 at midnight or something?
>>
>>78584014
I don't think Oogie needs a reason to be secluded, he's just a despicable person.
>>
>>78583824

That's at disneyland though.
>>
>>78584172
Exactly.
>>
>>78583118
Nightmare is also insanely popular in Japan, it did better in it's debut there then it did in the states.

Japan is just really into unique oddballs like Nightmare as a whole, they seem to appreciate creative animation more then we do.
>>
>>78584692
Japan is just a little more fucked up.
>>
>>78583284
POOPING
>>
File: rain.gif (48 KB, 500x216) Image search: [Google]
rain.gif
48 KB, 500x216
>tfw we will NEVER see the other holiday worlds
>>
>>78585676
We mustn't lose hope, call me blindly hopeful but the potential of Nightmare comics or cartoons makes me too happy to just say "yeah, it will never happen"
>>
>>78583756
I know that Disney World had a night club called Club Skellington.

What ever happened to that?
>>
>>78584172
As a kid I always thought that he was the boogie man, and the boogie man scares kids all year round, which halloween town doesn't like to do.

Like "We scare them on halloween cause its fun for them once a year! This dickhead does it all year round cause it gets him off"
>>
>>78583118
>It's 2016
CURRENT YEAR
U
R
R
E
N
T

Y
E
A
R
>>
>where is my straight to video Nightmare Before Christmas 3: A Twist in Time, where we follow the clown with the tearaway face time travelling to find love?
>>
>>78586033
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Also, in Oogie's Revenge it was shown that Oogie's version of scaring involves inflicting pain on others with booby traps and monsters with murderous intent so maybe that plays a role in it? It's not as fun as just saying "Oogie's a jerk and everyone hates him" but it's interesting nonetheless.
>>
>>78586118
That sounds adorable tho.

But in all seriousness, the movie doesn't need a sequel but theirs still a ton of potential in what TNBC can tell us, I honestly think the best way to do this is with a comic book or cartoon series.
>>
Please no.

It's perfect as is. Anything else will taint it.
>>
>>78586202
Oh please, not that "tainted" garbage. I actually thought a lot like you a few years back but I realized that Nightmare still has a lot to explore, I direct you to my previous post where I explain why >>78584014
>>
>>78586202
I never thought that BOCO would be the voice of reason, yet here we are.
>>
>>78586279
I'm the guy you replied to there >>78584014
and I can tell you that most people aren't autistic enough to care that much about fictional worlds. Only hardcore TNBC fans overthink the movie's premise so much they feel the need for more fiction to explicate that stuff. It's the exact same line of thinking that ruined Star Wars, the notion that because even the background characters have neat designs, everybody MUST have a proper name and a backstory. But you need to realize those background characters are just that, background characters. Filler. Walking, talking set dressing, with great effort put into them by the designers sure, but not by the writers, and forcing the writers to focus on that stuff would just be fanwank. I mean, the fact that you addressed my complaint about Oogie's lack of real purpose in the movie with "Oh but in the GBA game..." Fuck off with that noise, individual works of art need to stand on their own merit, and the franchising that's become endemic of Disney properties these days is toxic to legitimate, individual artistic efforts. That just encourages people to make more half-assed material relying on name recognition and other, better works doing the heavy lifting of establishing characters, theme, setting etc.
>>
>>78586141
That was a pretty rad game. I need to replay it sometime soon.
>>
>>78586627
Not to mention, TNBC is a very personal work that emerged from a very specific place for very specific creators. Tim Burton wrote Jack Skellington's arc to deal with his own career; being an eccentric artist who's really good at dark and twisted shit, but who like all artists feels claustrophobic if he's not pushing his own boundaries and doing new and different things. So he hijacks Christmas/does major family franchise movies for WB/Disney, and although he as a lot of fun, the sheer work involved is exhausting and he realizes after the fact that most people don't appreciate his darker twists on family-friendly tradition, but that's okay, because the process of being someone else, working on somebody else's project, helps him figure out exactly WHO he is, as a creative and as a person, and so he goes back to doing what he loved to do to begin with, but with a refreshed, less insecure outlook.

If you look at Tim Burton's career, you can draw a pretty clear distinction between his earlier, wilder, pre-TNBC movies like Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Batman and Batman Returns, and his more mature-but-still-unapologetically-Burton movies like Ed Wood.

TLDR: TNBC is a very plot-light movie that's really all about Jack's arc, and since that arc is resolved tidily for both Jack and the man who created him, I don't see the need to dredge it back up. I hate to seem like I'm just sucking Burton's dick, he's REALLY not my favorite director, but I can respect where he was coming from and that TNBC is his most self-aware, revelatory script that isn't Ed Wood, and I don't think Sellick or anyone else involved with TNBC would want to continue it without him.
>>
>>78586627
I actually brought up the possibility that the Gameboy game is probably not canon. I also think it's completely fine that Oogie is hated for reasons we don't know.

And you can say autism is the reason why people have such huge interest in fictional worlds, whatever, every other anon on 4chan says that because they think it's impossible for people to like or be interested in things for any other reason, it's pathetic to think that way but fine.

I know their background characters created to fill space and build a world but that's just it, their part of the world so their shouldn't be a problem if their given some spotlight if done quick and correctly, also, your really comparing Nightmare to Star Wars? I like Nightmare more then any of the Star Wars movies but their still not on the same level.

My point still stands, I would welcome any continuation in Nightmare's world as long as it's not another film, a sequel in film form just wouldn't feel right but, and I'm not sure why but a line of comic books or a cartoon would, even if there was no over-arcing story, just random adventures with Jack and the gang would be nice to see because I love those characters and the genius world they were put in and there is still a lot that they can do as well.

I do agree that a certain amount of quality should be kept but I won't sit here and say that anything to could even remotely present something new to the series would instantly taint it's purity, that would just be silly.
>>
They're leaving it alone because it's old and they've already dumped as much nightmare merch at hot topic as they can. Do you guys really need to see Jack learn about Thanksgiving or Easter?

Also stop motion is expensive and nobody really cares about it. You'd probably get some CGI abomination.
>>
>>78587069
>You'd probably get some CGI abomination

What about hand drawn then? or hell, what would you think about a comic book or graphic novel?

> Do you guys really need to see Jack learn about Thanksgiving or Easter?

Seeing his reactions or thoughts on other holidays would be interesting such as Jack getting excited over Thanksgiving by misinterpreting like "they worship a dead bird, that's fantastic!" or Jack just being disgusted over the excess of pink and frilliness in Valentine's Day while Sally actual gets behind it because of the romance involved with it.
>>
>>78584014
I recall hearing something about Capcom having consulted with Burton on both the Gameboy game and Oogie's Revenge.
>>
>>78586864
Nightmare was the product of Burton's creative struggling at Disney in the 80s and looking at the Halloween and Christmas decorations being switched out at a department store and deciding to pitch a demented Christmas special to Disney. It stayed on the shelf there until he got successful with Batman and Pee-Wee and stuff.
>>
>>78587561
Tim doesn't seem to have a problem with having other people handle his work, at least not with Nightmare and he even allows creative freedom, Capcom came to him about supervising because they wanted to be sure to get things right.
>>
>>78587616
And even then, Disney put the film under Touchstone's name because they doubted it was going to be a hit and at first they were right but they definitely ate their words once it got cult status a few years after.
>>
>>78583118
>why doesn't Disney ruin this perfect artistic film with a ton of stupid spin off and video games made solely for money! I want to be enterteined by shit!
Fuck off.
>>
>>78583891
Dude I'm in Brazil and people go with NBC backpacks to fucking class. Not just because of the skeletons look cool, they know the film.
Everyone is the planet knows this film.
>>
>>78587896
So your saying Oogie's Revenge ruined the movie?

Come off with that "absolutely perfect Citizen Kane of animation" shit okay? I love the movie don't get me wrong, it's actually one of my all time favorite films but I ain't going to act like any expansion of it will instantly destroy it's credibility.

Besides, if it was anything else, something else I love like Book of Life or Coraline I will say "yes, it's fine the way it is, theirs nothing left here to do or say, move along" but Nightmare is an exception because I feel like more could be shown or said especially concerning the movie's alternate ending/scrapped epilogue.
>>
>>78588140
>the movie's alternate ending/scrapped epilogue.
Go on?
>>
>>78588213
The original ending (though it's more of an epilogue then anything else) Santa Claus explained that all the holidays knew about each other's existence, Jack & Sally got married and had kids and it closed with Santa asking Jack if he would change anything if he could relive the events that transpired in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvD5dsCKtI
>>
>>78588336
Oh that. Yes I remember that from the soundtrack CD. It's the final track, I believe.
>>
File: tumblr_nzv9rxFWmQ1v2qvrfo1_500.gif (924 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzv9rxFWmQ1v2qvrfo1_500.gif
924 KB, 500x250
>>78583118
Dude, a The Nightmare Before Christmas ongoing comic series? You know it's gonna be written by Kate Leth.
>>
>>78590461
I had to look her up and she has a pretty good track record, I would trust her with a TNBC comic series, especially if she's familiar with the movie.

If I had the say so I would want the comics to be produced either by IDW or Dark Horse.
>>
>>78590678
>I had to look her up and she has a pretty good track record
lmao what
>>
>>78590763
What, is there something wrong with her?
>>
>>78585676
>if we get spin-offs we will get christian main holidays
>they will start making more and more obscure christian/specific region celebrations instead of other cultural celebrations
>>
>>78583118
Burton is insanely protective of it, it's his favorite movie he was involved in. Disney wants to stay in a good relationship with him, so they let it be aside from merch.
>>
>>78585812
>Jack as Érik
>it's the ALW version with the half-mask
Disgusting.
>>
>>78583296
>not going to disneyland for haunted mansion holiday
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.