[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do people mean when they say to make a good character in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1451105805299.jpg (280 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
1451105805299.jpg
280 KB, 612x792
What do people mean when they say to make a good character in marvel they have to make spiderman
>>
>>78569306
The best characters in Marvel are the ones that feel like relatively "real" people and make you root for them. They also have a great rogues gallery to pull from for story types of varying intensity and levity.

Kamala is on her way to being the next Spider Man. She just needs time to develop memorable enemies. Thomas Edison was pretty cool and I could see him coming back.
>>
>>78569474
well then let's focus on that for a second; what makes an enemy memorable?
>>
>>78570184
well being a super intelligent chicken man is a good start
>>
Marvel creator: look at this cool character I made he's like superpowerful

Marvel exec: what flaws does he have?

Marvel creator: bad shit happens to him in the most unrealistic, cartoonish way possible

Marvel exec: make him black and give him a weekly set in Brooklyn
>>
its implying that Marvel can't make a good character without making them witty quipsters unlike DC or Image
>>
>>78569306

I like punkslut Storm, any more?
>>
>>78570184
Usually being able to put the hero through the ringer in a way that tests their personality and powers. Also a villain should be adaptable or able to change his style of confrontation so they don't get stale.

Norman Osborn has gone Goblines San Frontieres in Amazing and it's Pretty cool.
>>
>>78570184

Spider-Man villains are the best because (i) they have unique gimmicks beyond just being strong or shooting generic energy blasts, so he gets a variety of challenges and (ii) they're somehow interesting enough that you're willing to read about many them even when they're out of costume.
>>
>>78569474
>Kamala is on her way to being the next Spider Man. She just needs time to develop memorable enemies. Thomas Edison was pretty cool and I could see him coming back.

That probably the biggest problem a lot of new characters face. Lack of interesting villians.
>>
>>78571021
Yeah, it seems that writers don't even try to make interesting villains. They are so confident in their OC "coolness" that they forget to write good characters to bounce that off of. Without that the MC just comes across as a Mary-Sue and boring, even if they do have a good gimmick or personal story. I think New Avengers is going to thrive because Ewing is pulling out some great villains to pit them against.
>>
>>78569306
Is this suppose to be Storm because that's nothing like her character, even when she was in Punk mode she was never this in your face.
>>
>>78570669
>Goblines San Frontieres
kek
>>
>>78571021
>>78571593
I think Kamran could be expanded into a great villain and nemesis.
He is not so great now, but his ideology would find takers. If he gathers lackeys he could become a terrorist or something as a dark reflection of Kamala's ideals.
Where she sees duty, he sees prerogative. Where he takes power, she takes responsibility.
>>
>>78569306
They mean that the ideal Marvel character is teenage escapist fantasy. They're not wrong either.
>>
>>78571880
>become a terrorist
They wouldn't dare. But yeah he will definitely show back up. He seems like the kind of guy that won't give up trying to convert Kamala to his ideology. I want Lineage back, but he seems too big/smart for Kamala to handle alone.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.