[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Characters that writers forgot He sucked anyway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
File: baz.jpg (358 KB, 1202x1417) Image search: [Google]
baz.jpg
358 KB, 1202x1417
ITT: Characters that writers forgot

He sucked anyway
>>
>We will never get a tale of Baz infiltrating a gang of galactic street racers.
>>
>>78552268

>Take a character
>Give him a ring of nigh-omnipotent power that can create anything through sheer will
>Also give him a handgun because why not

And nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>78552268
>he sucked anyway
nope
>>
I thought Baz was okay but a more interesting Muslim GL would be a Luke Cage-style former radical Islamist that has since changed his ways.
You could still have a very political message, but you'd also have a more flawed and complicated character.
With Baz they went for like a clean thug which is just boring
>>78553082
>I didn't read the comic
>>
Johns ADD strikes again
>>
>>78552268

He's been appearing in GL books occasionally. His trouble is that he's like a fifth wheel Green Lahntern, who has no book of his own to headline, so nobody has much interest in using him.
>>
Majority of New Mutants, what's name of that girl with Kaine, Hummingbird?
>>78552576
That would actually be awesome limited.
>>
Why was he even made in the first place?

What was the point of him?
>>
>>78553622
Geoff just got a little self-indulgent
>>
>>78553670
Even if that's the case, I don't understand what point Baz serves or could have served.
>>
>>78553689

Geoff didn't want to leave without having a heman GL to call his own.
>>
>>78553722
What's the point if nobody remembers him?
>>
>>78552268
It sucks because he was already more interesting than John Stewart and had a cool partnership thing going on with B'dg
>>
>>78553722
>>78553670
That's so not the case. If that was the reason, Baz wouldn't be lost in the poits of obscurity, he would still be around somewhere doing something. Look at Star-girl, that's a character Johns made that he cares about and always has a chance to show up somewhere new.

Baz was created because people gave Johns shit for murdering that iranian "other" with the hijab. You remember her? She was the first to be killed off by Black Panther in The Others storyline. Believe it or not, some people got upset over that noncharacter getting offed, because she was a minority. Also didn't help that the other female of the arc was a barbarian in a bikini so the cries of sexism came into play as well.

Baz was a one time attempt to solve this, by introducing a muslim superhero. But nobody actually gave a shit about him (which is a shame, because I didn't mind his arc that much), and he was forgotten just like that pointless controversy.
>>
>>78553840
>Baz wouldn't be lost in the poits of obscurity, he would still be around somewhere doing something.

Baz is occasionally used in GL related stories, he's nowhere near being in obscurity.

>Look at Star-girl, that's a character Johns made that he cares about and always has a chance to show up somewhere new.

Star-Girl became a "prominent" character simply by the fact that she got to be in the JSA book for several years. Baz would probably have been in JLA if GL books wouldn't constantly be in crossovers and people insisting on Hal being the League's GL.

Baz's only trouble is that Geoff seems to have had to drop him from stories on couple of occasions so he hasn't had the proper focus.
>>
>>78552268
The writers have no idea what to do with. It's not like Ms. Marvel where the creator is Muslim herself. They just don't know enough about Islam to not screw up with him and invoke outrage.
>>
>>78553170
Why did he have a gun?
>>
Baz shows up occasionally, but considering there's four other earth GLs who are all more popular most writers go for one of them first

I like Baz but it's hard to find a place for him
>>
Is that kick-ass?
>>
The problem is that they clearly don't want to shelve an of the other FOUR Green Lanterns long enough to give Baz time to shine. Plus, I don't think they know how to write him aside from "He's Muslim and people think he's a terrorist" Kind like Muhammad Hassan from WWE,
>>
File: baz.png (109 KB, 322x304) Image search: [Google]
baz.png
109 KB, 322x304
>>78552268
Being Baz is suffering.
>>
>>78555070
In the GL book he was basically appointed as Earth's babysitter, which nobody did anything with because every lantern book occurs in space and no earth based books ever had any GL guest appearances
>>
>>78553622
My impression of him was that he was supposed to be a the defacto Green Lantern of the the New 52, or at least that's what I took away from the marketing and the first few issues
>>
>>78555138
That probably would have worked better if he'd debuted in issue 1 instead of after issue 12, but Geoff accidentally turned in his Hal/Sinestro fanfic and decided to roll with that
>>
>>78555003
His ring was malfunctioning
>>
>>78555003
For protection

It actually saved his ass a couple times, plus his ring was pretty fucked up when he first got it
>>
>>78552268
I like the idea of making a M-E GL but the way they went about it was all wrong.
>>
>>78553840
You are absolutely wrong. The reason Baz was created was because DC was planning to kill off John Stewart. Why? I have no idea, although some people think it was because John had become more popular than Hal among casuals so they wanted him out of the way to make Hal the most popular Lantern again. This is the reason Fialkov left GLC before it even started, because he wouldn't go with it. Baz was created so people wouldn't be so angry against DC for killing one of their better known minority characters. Once DC's plans were made public, they abandoned the idea and Baz was left as the superfluous Lantern.
>>
>>78553840
Was it not the fact that he got slammed by multple events shortly after his introduction.

Trinity of Sin was awful aside from the Crime Sydicate reveal
>>
>>78552268
Kick-Ass was a Green Lantern?
>>
File: image.png (183 KB, 340x599) Image search: [Google]
image.png
183 KB, 340x599
Remember when Marvel was giving her a big push because she wasn't white before people realized she kind of sucked and was largely sidelined until now in Carol and her Brown Friends: the Comic?
>>
>>78555003
His ring ran out of power very close to the first time he used it, and at almost exactly the wrong time. He grabbed the gun and shot the threat that was coming at him.

he carries the gun to ensure that he's still able to fight once the ring runs out of power. I think Kilowogg would approve.
>>
>>78555003
His ring is wonky at first.
He keeps it later on for backup for when the ring loses charge
>>
>>78556435
>Marvel was giving her a big push
Not really, she was only in vengeance until Gillen made the homo avengers thing. If they put her in a high profile team or gave her a solo then it would be a push.
>>
>>78553170
So, the only way to do an interesting minority character would be to do some topical minority stereotype like making him a jihadist?

I think the way they went was best? He still has flaws and regret (drag racing and getting his bro killed), but it has nothing to do screaming ALLAHU AKBAR and blowing himself up on a subway. But it's not like they pretend that current issues surrounding Islam aren't a thing and just ignore them, because they show how there's friction between him and his family because he has a tattoo (ABSOLUTELY HARAM) and there's the thing about the government thinking he's a terrorist and all.

Nice middle-ground between going for 2D stereotypes and having a characters life not be influenced by their identity at all,
>>
>>78556435
>>78557127
This. The biggest series she's ever been in is the current Ultimates.

Also, I actually like her and think she has a lot of potential, if given proper development.
>>
You guys remember Mob Rule?
>>
>>78553118
/pol/ please leave
>>
File: Wally_West_JLU-1.jpg (37 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
Wally_West_JLU-1.jpg
37 KB, 852x480
>>
>>78559969
it was an interesting idea
>>
>>78560075
Yeah, good chance we wont see him anytime soon
>>
>>78559990
tumblr please leave
>>
File: 3814d.jpg (183 KB, 425x985) Image search: [Google]
3814d.jpg
183 KB, 425x985
>>
>>78560067
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPefOfu2TIU
>>
>>78559920
>Also, I actually like her and think she has a lot of potential, if given proper development.

I like her design, But everything about her story pisses me off. She was raise to be magic lesbian with OP powers and who is American hero without being a American.
>>
>>78560116
Why is that?
I'm sure other writers than Manupal, could write an interesting story with him.
>>
>>78560196
What no one realized: How dangerous it was for Luthor to have a connection into the Speed Force.
>>
>>78560416
Current state of the flash book doent leave much hope
>>78560418
And proved that Wally was either inexperienced or pulling punches most of the time
>>
>>78560471
>Current state of the flash book doent leave much hope
Shit... I actually stopped reading after Manapul left. In what ways did it go to shit?
>>
File: BOOTH.jpg (233 KB, 565x861) Image search: [Google]
BOOTH.jpg
233 KB, 565x861
>>78560539
Yeah the last good thing was the Daniel West RF arc. Then they shifted to Booths god awful art, had dickish future barry fight present barry, then something with Professor Zoom coming back. I honestly couldnt tell you seeing how it was more or less catering to the CW crowd
>>
>>78560262
The main problem in her development is not having her past explored. When I read that stuff in Young Avengers I was quite interested, but then they just forget about that stuff. She's been to tons of different dimensions and comes from a place where much has happened, things are different and IS linked to Earth-616 and, still, they just mention it when writing the "Oh, she's been to a lot of places and kicked a lot of asses" thingy. She deserves better.
I'm ok with her being a lesbian... and connected to magic... and OP.
I do hate the american theme, though. Obviously, they could always go with the Wonder Woman-like excuse and say not everything that has red, blue, white and stars in it is american (especially since she comes from a place where the Demiurge is quite a big deal and all those elements represent him)... But, then again, she has had the american flag on her clothes before... And her name is fucking AMERICA...
>>
>>78560613
Killer Frost in background with spiky hair?
>>
>>78560788
Nope. Zoom had a group of speed force enhanced metas. Cant remember their names or powers
>>
File: Herald.jpg (119 KB, 495x699) Image search: [Google]
Herald.jpg
119 KB, 495x699
To be honest, all of the Uncanny X-men children need better development and seem to have been forgotten.
But, as the ultra-pissed time traveler she is, Tempus should've already turned into a big deal by know.
>>
>>78560827
This demands googling!
>>
>>78560839
I think theyre all dead now
>>
>>
>>78560871
Killed by Thawne, I bet.
>Acolytes of Zoom.
Eh.
>>
>>78560934
Point is the book went to shit just like Aquaman and Wonder Woman. But Aquaman might be redeemed later when Bunn finally leaves
>>
>>78561004
Oh, yes. I have hope for Aquaman since Abnett wanted to write him, unlike Bunn. Unless Abnett separates Arthur and Mera, then he'll be hack writer.
>>
>>78561162
My hope is that Bunn's work will be entirely skippable and just be a bad memory with no canonical issues
>>
>>78553118
Fuck off back to /b/
>>
>>78556435

She's still shit
>>
>>78560154
This
>>
>>78553082
i thought the reason for the gun was because the ring itself was legit broken and wasn't functioning right
>>
>>78559990
>>78560154
both of you leave
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.