[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to get a tally going: all of Jimmy Neutron's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: character_large_332x363_jimmy.jpg (24 KB, 332x363) Image search: [Google]
character_large_332x363_jimmy.jpg
24 KB, 332x363
I'd like to get a tally going: all of Jimmy Neutron's inventions vs. the ones that have worked as planned.

I wonder what the ratio is.
>>
>>78551132
What do you mean when you say "as planned"? Like if the Hypnoray succeeds in hypnosis but results in unexpected outcomes, does it "work as planned"?
>>
>>78551132
Let me tell you what device of his did work as planned.

The gold powered flying helmet.

You heard me right.

A fucking. Gold. Powered. Helmet.

And Jimmy still was absolutely dumbstruck that suddenly he had to earn a shit ton of money.
>>
>>78551168
I'd say yes.

On the other hand, his shoelace tying bot ties his shoelaces together so he trips and falls. Seriously what the fuck
>>
>>78551168
I'd say him in the ass by poor design, though not explicitly how it was used.

The burger restaurant turning restaurante genocidal did not work as planned.

The super candy he designed did work as planned, but he didn't expect the townspeople to become basically crack addicts.
>>
Most of Jimmy's inventions worked as intended just that some of the stuff worked too literally that he had to figure out a way to fix. Like that redesigned fast food place he made did as intended of being a great place to eat until his father started complaining about nonsensical stuff or those two robots in the flying saucer that protected him from bullies decided that in order to really protect Jimmy they had to delete every single person on the planet. If you don't count stuff were something bad happens then it'd just be Goddard, the cheese ray and the device that altered a person's intelligence.
>>
Goddard is a successful invention...
>>
Does Goddard count as a success? He's like the most convenient plot device in the show.

Also even tho his hovercraft and rocket frequently break down in the show I consider those successes as well

So we're 0-3.
>>
>>78551202
If you're counting the Hypnoray scenario as working as planned, almost all of them worked as planned.

One example I can think of is when he gave sentient AI to a burger joint and told it to make all the customers happy. Hugh began complaining about how he'd rather be eating at a different restaurant, and the entire building flew into the air and began destroying every location he mentioned, because Jimmy decided it was a good idea to give a sentient burger joint rocket thrusters and a laser gun.

Sure, it ended up destroying half of the town, but nothing technically didn't "work as planned".
>>
>>78551284
>and the device that altered a person's intelligence.
That's not the one that nearly made Sheen's head explode right?
>>
>>78551304
Except now you have to consider that Jimmy built into the restaurant the ability to fly and shoot lava, which he must have, even though he acted surprised when it happened.
>>
>>78551284
>device that altered a person's intelligence.

This almost killed Sheen/turned him into an insane telepath with a god complex though.
>>
>>78551303
Self folding pants that wanted to take over the world
Nano-bots that wanted to take over the world
Clones that were idiots, and one that wanted to take over the world
Restaurant that wanted to destroy all other restaurants
Shoes that couldn't stop running until you turned into plasmic jelly
>>
>>78551357
>>78551303
The intelligence amplifier with no limitation control
The teleporter with no sanitation control that merged him with a Hamster
The brain drain machine that glitched and made him an idiot

>>78551303
The Rocket failed in the first episode when he accidentally launched Carl into space and got grounded for it.
>>
Remember when Nickelodeon kept doing that Jimmy vs. Timmy shit like three or four times over.

Didn't Jimmy get cucked?
>>
>>78551413
The Salesman bot that would try to sell everything
The indestructible annoying robot with no off feature
The youth potion with no testing as to dosage that turned his grandma into a baby
The dream machine that required someone awake in the real world to deactivate (yeah, like that ever works)
The rocket meant to cool the hot day that plunged the world into a new ice age

I want to say the DNA accelerator that was supposed to enhance his spinach but made Mrs. Folwer grow into a giant. Not because of that part, but because if the intent was for the spinach to have that effect it worked.

If it was to make it more interesting, it failed. But generally, I get the feeling Jimmy didn't know or care what the hell the thing did. Which to me sounds like another failure.
>>
One of the inventions that did work fantastically and without flaw was the baseball equipment that made his team winners, as well as Hugh's headband that made him a great athlete.

So that's two in his favor.
>>
>>78551605
The Superpower health pill is also another successful invention, though its duration is limited.
>>
Devices that have worked properly:

-All the automatic food preparation equipment in his restaurant
-Rusting Spray
-Laser Toothbrush (but not the rinsing apparatus)
-Time Altering Remote (except when Hugh fucks with it)
-Hall Monitor Helmet Scanner
>>
>>78551644
>>78551676
His remote controlled kite worked fine until the rich kid blew it up.
>>
It's been awhile since I watched the show, but didn't most of Jimmy's problems come from his inventions working too well, or from the fact that he had created a far bigger solution than his mundane problems warranted? I don't think too many of them straight up mechanically failed.
>>
>>78551194
Goddard worked.
The rocket he used every time he went to and from space worked.
Vox the computer worked.
>>
>>78551731
Things working "too well" are still failures of design.

Chernobyl is a case of a nuclear reactor making heat too well.
All those civilian deaths in that moscow hostage incidence were a cause of sleeping gas working too well.
Seatbelts that trap people in their cars when lit on fire.
>>
>>78551770
First episode the rocket failed by launching Carl into space.
>>
Why did he give the garbage-oil recycler a sensor device? Just let people put garbage in a slot on top.
>>
>>78551731
The only one I can recall that had a mechanical failure was the brain drain helmet, which glitched out and changed Jimmy's intelligence to "drool monkey" instead of "normal".

Why the hell would he even add "severe mental retardation" as an option when he only wanted to have normal intelligence?
>>
>>78551132

HURR DURR SANTA ISN'T REAL BECAUSE SCIENCE

I fucking swear I just searched for that thread, then come here and watch the same fucking image
>>
>>78551774

I don't think the Chernobyl example really works, nuclear plants are designed to generate energy from heat as well as keep cool enough to prevent a meltdown.
>>
>>78551818
Folding pants and nanomachines that try to take over the world and running shoes that wouldn't stop because of a failure of insulation are clear mechanical failures.
That last one Jimmy's mom even saw coming.
>>
>>78551531

Brotherbot wasn't a failure, though. Jimmy understood the implications of actually having a brother, problem was that as a sentient robot he just didn't work on human society.
>>
>>78551872
But that's generally what you can apply to Jimmy's invention to.

They have one effect that they tend to take to an extreme with no limitations, when implicitly their design is meant to have failsafes and basic common sense.

I'm pretty sure restaraunts that want to please customers are also supposed to be designed not to become killer death machines.
>>
>>78551898
That wasn't really the issue, it was that he didn't design an off switch or any ability to deactivate it by making him indestructible.

Granted, I will give that may or may not have been a failure of intent of design but of rather poor planning (akin to the Candy which worked as intended but too well), but imagine if he had been a killer robot instead?
>>
>>78551872
>>78551900
It's also similar to the sheen brain helmet.

Brain helmets are designed to increase intelligence, and not to make your head explode. It worked "too well"
>>
>>78551900
Chernobyl still had cooling towers though, Jimmy never includes any limiters or failsafes in any of his inventions.
>>
>>78551676
-Mind Instruments
-Laser Pen
-Burping Soda
-Underwater Breathing Chewing Gum
-The other time machine
>>
>>78552065
Both of those are examples of deficient failsafe design, either being inadequate or simply non-existent.

The Bhopal plant in india had both inadequate as well as missing failsafes. The Titanic's bulkhead system was inadequate.
>>
File: Part 1.png (3 MB, 2216x1548) Image search: [Google]
Part 1.png
3 MB, 2216x1548
Well, if nobody else is going to do it, I've pulled up Jimmy Neutron Wiki and I'm going through each invention one by one and evaluating if it's a failure or not.

Here's Part 1.
>>
File: Part 2.png (651 KB, 1000x1188) Image search: [Google]
Part 2.png
651 KB, 1000x1188
>>78552297
well shit

wiki only has 4 more inventions listed

guess I'm going through each episode('s summary), no backing out now.
>>
>>78552297
"Works as intended but can backfire"
"Cannot be used as intended"
That distinction works for me, mostly.

Like medicine is after all. It's only an improper dosage or a mistake away from poison.
>>
>>78552417
check part 2, changed yellow's description to make it more clear.
>>78552395

Part 3's probably going to take like 30-60 mins, hold tight.
>>
File: Part 3.png (106 KB, 1164x1408) Image search: [Google]
Part 3.png
106 KB, 1164x1408
>>78552395
going to keep churning these out in chunks about yea big

so far Jimmy's fucked up 10 times and I just realised this thread was for successful inventions, not failures. going to have that fixed for the next one.
>>
>>78551357
>Shoes that couldn't stop running until you turned into plasmic jelly

looking back this show was really fucked up in a horrible, psychological kind of way
>>
File: Part 4.png (80 KB, 1164x1408) Image search: [Google]
Part 4.png
80 KB, 1164x1408
>>78552705
Here's the total for season 1, two more seasons to go.
>>
File: Part 5.png (111 KB, 1164x1408) Image search: [Google]
Part 5.png
111 KB, 1164x1408
>>78552862
About halfway done now.
>>
File: Part 6.png (80 KB, 1164x1118) Image search: [Google]
Part 6.png
80 KB, 1164x1118
>>78553024
Season 3 didn't have many invention-centric plots.
>>
File: Final Ratio.png (48 KB, 1164x837) Image search: [Google]
Final Ratio.png
48 KB, 1164x837
>>78551132
>>78553207
Here's my final ratio, probably missed 15 or so minor inventions, but here's your answer, OP.

I hope you're happy.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.