[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this actually praised when it came out? Because after reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: cw.jpg (256 KB, 800x1229) Image search: [Google]
cw.jpg
256 KB, 800x1229
Was this actually praised when it came out? Because after reading it I feel pretty robbed
>>
>>78547982
Only by casuals, which continues to be the case.
>>
>>78547982
it was praised by people whose favorite characters beat up the other characters, making them 'right' in the schoolyard arguments
>>
>>78548001
I just realized the Incredibles did it first and actually better
>>
>>78548058
Makes sense to me. But at least they could of bring us a better ending
>>
>>78547982
I think the Russo's film will be so superior everyone will forget the comic.
>>
Civil War was widely reviled when it came out. Talking complete and utter hatred from fans of Marvel, who saw the company bend over and anally violate the Marvel Universe with the series. Especially after the three month delay hit between issues #3 and #4 and Marvel, despite knowing how fans hated the fucking series, flat out refused to fire Millar from the book and bring someone else in to try and salvage things via rewriting the story to address legit fan complaints and undo the wholesale character assassination being done to Iron Man and company.

The ironic thing is that Millar always referred to Civil War as his attempt to do a "Crisis" event in terms of dividing line for irreversibly changing the Marvel Universe. He did so, but unlike with Crisis, nothing good came from Civil War whereas Crisis gave us Byrne Superman, George Perez Wonder Woman, Wally West Flash, and a simplified DC Universe.
>>
>>78549747
More event comics that changed everything forever came though :^)
>>
>>78549747
I remember seeing legendary asshurt fanboys online; with people like Boxleitner and the guy who kept bitching about how Bendis ruined his waifu Scarlet Witch (BakerBaker?) calling for Millar's head on a spike for Civil War.

The butthurt was legendary when it was running. Absolutely legendary with regards to how fanboys were screaming the end of the world with the whole thing.
>>
>>78549795
In a way, it was the event that killed Marvel while also making them industry leaders again. We live in the horrible ramifications Millar has wrought on the industry. And the most terrifying thing is we know the exact moment it happened:

>Bendis: When the original "Civil War" came about we were at a Marvel retreat that was actually about another project and it just wasn't going well. After two days of us banging our heads together to try and make something out of it we all, for the first time ever, literally turned to each other and went, "I hate this! I wouldn't buy this book! I don't like this at all." We all went to dinner and we were like, "This is like the worst retreat we've ever been at."
>It wasn't that anybody was misbehaving or anything like that. It was just that we didn't like what we were talking about. So I talked with Joe [Quesada] and Dan [Buckley] and said, "Nobody likes this. It doesn't match what we've been doing." So they told me to bring it up in the room the next day. I said, "Some people are going to be mad." And they were like, "No, bring it up."
>So, I brought it up and enough of the room agreed wholeheartedly. Then the wheels started turning. It was like, "If we're really going to do an event the stakes are going to be high and the audience will want so much from it." I said, "It should be like Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D versus the super heroes." Then Mark Millar said, "No, it should be the heroes versus the heroes!" Then Jeph Loeb said and the audience goes, "Whose side are we on?" That's how fast "Civil War" came together, and Mark Millar was clearly the person to do it.
>>
Yeah.

Ironically, while it was running and after hitting the pause button due to delays, a lot of fans started crowdsourcing a better backend of the series in terms of coming up with a way to salvage the whole debacle that was actually more interesting than the Civil War #4-7 we got.

Most of them involved mind control as an out for Reed and Tony and company. Red Skull, Loki, IIRC one theory I remember reading, called on the notion that the mind transfer machine Red Skull was working on with Doom, was a huge mind control device the two working on in Brubaker's Cap run at the time, was the culprit for mind controlling the heroes on the anti-registration side.

Seriously though, the only thing that was remotely positively views as good coming from Civil War was the idea of Peter being outed as Spider-Man.
>>
>>78549933
Also this was before Secret Invasion, and the Elektra Skrull reveal happened in the first issue of New Avengers after Civil War. So right away, everyone though Skrulls.
>>
File: cantwakeup.jpg (15 KB, 181x216) Image search: [Google]
cantwakeup.jpg
15 KB, 181x216
>>78549933
>the only thing that was remotely positively views as good coming from Civil War was the idea of Peter being outed as Spider-Man
Don't remind me.
>>
>>78549920
Don't forget that Joss Whedon also was the one who came up with the ending, with the "real heroes" lynching Captain America and social shaming Cap into surrendering.

They really should have ended the whole thing with Red Skull using the chaos to have Crossbones snipe Cap mid-beatdown from Tony, so that Tony gets the public blame for murdering Cap to end the war.
>>
>>78550002
Timeline is wrong:

The Elektra reveal was six months after Civil War.
First post-CW issue of New Avengers was a Hawkeye/Scarlet Witch filler issue editorial forced Bendis to write to pander to fans (New Avengers sales went into the toilet during Civil War, due to the fact that the NA tie-ins were glorified filler solo stories with the team) and to set up Clint rejoining the team, as by this point Brevoort finally caved to fans who wanted Clint back by forcing Bendis to use him.
>>
>>78550041
And then there's Front Line.

>how can you be captain america if you don't have a myspace page?
>>
>>78550041
You sure that was Whedon? Pretty sure it was Millar.
>>
>>78550002
The worse thing about the Skrulls? Had Bendis bothered to listen to fan complaints and use Skrulls as the reason for all of the bad shit happening in the Marvel Universe? Bitch could have salvaged his entire legacy at Marvel and on the Avengers.

Make Wasp the Skrull Queen. She drugged Wanda with Skrull LSD and then ordered her to slaughter the Avengers, then had Quicksilver replaced, to further use her in House of M to wipe out the mutants.

She uses her position on the Avengers to replace Hank, then Tony, and finally Reed with Skrulls and the 50 State Initiative to replace other heroes.

Or the shit with Wasp as a Skrull causing Avengers Dissembled/House of M happened, but Tony and Cap realize it and realize the Avengers have been compromised and who knows who else.

Civil War becomes instead a huge scheme to check every hero to see if he's a Skrull, with Tony and Cap playing a huge long con to see which heroes are Skrulls. But Red Skull kills Cap before anyone can be told this, with Tony unable to trust anyone around him with the truth lest he accidentally forces the Skrulls hands and they invade before the heroes can mount a defense.
>>
>>78550179
Millar originally wanted to merge Planet Hulk (which along with Annihilation, was going on at the same time as Civil War) with Civil War in issue #7, as far as having World War Hulk be the finale for the whole farce.

The pro and anti-Registration sides would put aside their fighting when a pissed off Hulk and his crew hit Manhattan, to get revenge on the Illuminati for shooting him off in space. Tony and Steve beat Hulk and Tony reluctantly allows Steve and his team walk away with zero ending.

Brevoort vetoed this ending, so a new one was needed and Whedon gave his ending idea to Millar

>>78550145
Ironically the Frontline issue was what drove Ed Brubaker to say "fuck it" and kill Steve off. Steve was never supposed to die but when Whedon gave his ending, he started getting pressure from Quesada and company to push the Sally/Cap scene hard in the page of Cap and to basically have "Cap travel America and learn to love Post-911 Neocon America", which made Brubaker flip his shit and go full tilt with killing Cap off and replacing him with Bucky.
>>
>>78550324
Based Brubaker.
>>
>>78549747
>Especially after the three month delay hit between issues #3 and #4 and Marvel

Uh,source? Cover dates don't show any delay.
>>
>>78550324
If only Brubaker had killed the rest of the writers rather than Cap.
>>
>>78550423
You must be a newfag.

There was a HUGE three month delay between #3 and #4 that had the bonus side effect of causing Marvel to delay about HALF their monthly schedule to prevent Civil War tie-ins to come out and spoil huge plot points (death of Goliath, "Thor" being a clone, Spidey switching sides).
>>
>>78550324
>Ironically the Frontline issue was what drove Ed Brubaker to say "fuck it" and kill Steve off. Steve was never supposed to die

Bull shit. Brubaker had been seeding Cap
s death as early as his second arc on the series. Cite your sources faggot.
>>
The Iron Spider is the best spidey suit

Debate your mother
>>
>>78550521
Again, source? I keep seeing this but no one is proving such without their anecdotal commentary on the matter. I'll admit I wasn't reading comics back then but that's irrelevant because I can't find anything that proves what you are all saying.

Cover dates listed on two different database websites show a constant stream from July 06 to January 07. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel just didn't bother to update that info but no one seems to actually have the in-store dates.
>>
>>78550552
Yes and no.

The plan was for a long running storyline with the pay-off being Skull brainwashing Sharon to give up her newborn baby she had with Cap, to Skull so he could put his brain inside of it.

The storyline got fucked over by Civil War.

At this point, Brubaker, not happy with Cap getting shitted on, pushed to kill Cap and replace him with Bucky after (as >>78550552 said) Marvel wanted Cap to wander America and learn to love the post-911 police state, since Brubaker's originally planned storyline was shot to hell. Brevoort greenlighted Brubaker's "kill Cap" storyline, simply to shut Brubaker up and not risk him bailing on Cap and create a huge shitstorm given how fans were already pissed off at how Cap got fucked over.

Years later, when the order is given to bring Steve back, Brubaker arc-welded as much of his original arc as he could onto the return storyline.
>>
>>78550552
The plan and what we got were radically different.

Civil War was going to end with Cap a wanted fugitive if not a prisoner after losing the war and Marvel was dead set on pushing the "Iron Man was Right" meme post-Civil War. Both of which would not square with Brubaker's plan for Red Skull manipulating shit around Steve and slowly subverting Sharon into his slave, so he could do his body swapping scheme
>>
>>78550627
Not that dude, but I was curious myself, and found this chart from Comics Beat. It details trends in books over time, and has the release months for each issue.

It looks like there were three 1 month delays after issues 3, 4, and 5.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-february-2007/ (Civil War is the first comic on the list)
>>
>>78550863

See that is much more reasonable than the supposed 3 month gap between issues 3 and 4 being mentioned here(>>78549747).
>>
>>78550145
Thank fucking Christ I stopped reading it midway
>>
File: squirrel girl gh.jpg (202 KB, 878x600) Image search: [Google]
squirrel girl gh.jpg
202 KB, 878x600
>>78550863
>curious
>look up current marvel sales trends

>SQUIRREL GIRL : 2,928
>120p, $15, cents per page: 12.5
>Average +%TPB sales issues 5-8: +6.6%

>The second volume of Squirrel Girl is out, and even if its sales level is lower than vol.1, which is perfectly normal, we can safely induct Squirrel Girl as the 4th member of the previously huge TPB sellers trinity, composed of Deadpool, Hawkeye, and Ms. Marvel. Its Vol.1 TPB has been selling every month since its release: 4,382 copies, than 881, then 566 then 432 this month. It’s not Ms Marvel numbers, but it seems to be a constant seller, which is a rarity in the Marvel catalog. Marvel is discovering that all-ages comedy comics can sell!

So that's why it's still around.
>>
File: Captain America and The Boss.jpg (2 MB, 1200x872) Image search: [Google]
Captain America and The Boss.jpg
2 MB, 1200x872
>>78550145

Anyone have the edit of that page? You know the one.
>>
>>78550081
> Fans got Clint back.
> Bendis had him rape Scarlet Witch.
> Bendis gave them Clint back but he buried the Clint/Wanda friendship under mountains of shit.
> Bendis always exacts a price.
>>
File: Civil War Cap.jpg (239 KB, 512x800) Image search: [Google]
Civil War Cap.jpg
239 KB, 512x800
>>78552011

This?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.