[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this on Netflix. What does /co/ think of it? I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
Just watched this on Netflix. What does /co/ think of it? I thought it was pretty artistically impressive, but the story wasn't overly interesting.
>>
>>78528092
movie was racist and grossly historicaly inaccurate. colors of the wind my ass.
>>
Discount Avatar.
>>
>>78528092
I'd say it's overall the worst film of the Disney Renaissance outside of songs and animation quality, and one of the worst films in the Disney Animated Canon, only beaten out by Chicken Little, Dinosaur, and Home On The Range
>>
>>78528092
Other than looking nice it doesn't really have a lot going for it. Story wasn't great (I never felt for any of the characters), music was average at best.

Only good song and character moment was cut for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dukzpsI5xoI
>>
While I didn't think much about it as a kid, in retrospect it was an extremely condescending and broad story. The colors in it are absolutely beautiful, but everything about the writing, man, so simplistic. You can make a statement without being so unsubtle.
>>
too much of a retread of Avatar tbqh
>>
>>78530182

and without making the story pretty much the exact opposite of what actually happened.
>>
Can't stand this movie, and others like it (especially avatar). They made me realize just how much tv, movies, and cartoons really dumb down complex situations.
>>
>>78530483
You didn't like Dances With Wolves? If you haven't seen it I suggest you do.
>>
>>78528092
It's boring as crap, nearly felt asleep watching it.
>>
>>78530660
>co
>doesn't even bother with the slashes
Put some effort into it
>>
Lemme explain exactly what went wrong with this movie.

Basically, Disney were suffering from perennial butthurt that unlike Japan, Americans don't tend to take animation as a serious art form or see it as something other than a children's babysitter. The Lion King made ginormous amounts of cash, but failed to win any awards while Beauty and the Beast had come a little closer having been nominated for an Oscar. So Mike Eisner and his crew decided to shit out something that they were absolutely, completely sure would net them the adulation of Hollywood, Siskel and Ebert, blah, blah, blah. They decided then to make in essence animated Dances With Wolves because a story about Amerindian oppression was comfortably PC and would appease the Hollywood elites. In fact some of Disney's animators had been reassigned from Pocahontas to work on TLK and were resentful about it because they were certain that the former would make more money.

Unfortunately, Pocahontas completely failed in terms of execution because it was really too big and complex of a story to retell properly in a 90 minute film and worse, Disney were obligated to pad it out with their usual bullshit singing numbers, cartoony, one-dimensional villains, and talking animal sidekicks. The actual IRL story of the Jamestown colony really didn't have what they were looking for anyway, which was "Hunky 20-something hero falls in love with native supermodel" but that wasn't gonna stop them from shoehorning it in there as hard as possible.

And then ultimately, it was all for naught since Pocahontas failed to win any awards except a token "Best Soundtrack" thing. The end.
>>
The art is gorgeous. I mean, it looks nothing like Virginia, but that is okay, because it is legitimately one of the best looking movies Disney has ever put out. Judy Kuhn has a fucking miracle of a voice and Just Around the Riverbend / Colors of the Wind are some of the best songs in the Disney canon.

It is all downhill from there, as every other aspect of the movie ranges from mediocre to terrible (on the head "racism is bad" message in Savages, boring villain). At least none of the animals talk.
>>
>>78530829
I could have sworn Lion King was released after Pocahontas.
>>
>>78531286
Yeah, but the tree talks.
>>
I actually liked it but even I'd rank it lower down in the list of Disney movies
Decent but not really all that impressive or noteworthy.
>>
As a kid, the ending was unsatisfying. Disney may have overestimated the tolerance level of kids for that sort of downer.
>>
>>78530829
Cutting "If I Never Knew You" was a mistake. You can't make a film trying to appeal to adults and then cut the emotional climax because some kids in seats were squirming.

Worse, cutting it meant cutting the song out of most of the soundtrack, which is awful becaues it was a fucking leit motif for John Smith and Pocahontas.

Pocahontas with "If I Never Knew You" still isn't a great movie, but lord is it a much better one.
>>
>>78530006
>and one of the worst films in the Disney Animated Canon
I can think of many worse ones, like Saludos Amigos
>>
>>78531298
Nope. Lion King was 94, Pocahontas was 95.
>>
>>78528092
>Where do the blue aliens show up again?
>>
>>78529947
That's like saying a phonograph is a discount boombox.
>>
Besides, the real Pocahontas wasn't a 19 year old native supermodel, she was a naked 10 year old who'd have been shaved bald and wore tribal tattoos.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.