[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Shearer in the right for not participating in this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 6
Was Shearer in the right for not participating in this?
>>
>this happened

Seriously?
>>
Say what you will about Family Guy, but the Simpsons hasn't been the same show in years, and if he's willing to participate in it in general, there's nothing that should have stopped him from this.
>>
>>78481532
It was a good Family Guy episode and slightly below average Simpsons episode.

It was alright, Shearer just seems like a drama queen.
>>
It's not like the new Simpsons are ANY better than new Family Guy.
>>
if he wanted to take some principled stand against the episode that's his prerogative, but it doesn't seem all that impressive considering he's still working on a show he openly acknowledges is shit anyway
>>
>>78481885
Family Guy is definitely much worse
>>
>>78481532
You watching this right now, too?
>>
>>78481869
>It was a good Family Guy episode
No it wasn't, it sucked for both shows, the humor felt nothing like simpsons, the plot was fucking shit, that beer analogy was fucking retarded and the cock fighting at the end was just pure filler, i don't care if its a crossover, simpsons did crossovers before and they didn't sucked this hard, it was like watching Seth Mcfarlane rape a corpse for 15 minutes
>>
File: 1451011757343.png (120 KB, 346x250) Image search: [Google]
1451011757343.png
120 KB, 346x250
>>78482052
>You watching this right now, too?
what the fuck am i reading?
>>
>>78481885
>shock humor, annoying self awareness and shit characters
Vs
>Uninteresting plots that go nowhere, forgettable characters and uninspired jokes
Pick your poison
>>
>>78482012
Not really. Even Family Guy can still genuinely make me chuckle now and day, not laugh out loud but it's something (yes, not every one of their gags is a five minute gorefest).

Zombie Simpsons on the other hand is a complete slog and I say this as someone who still watches both shows every Sunday
>>
>>78482086
It's on Adult Swim as we speak. Probably got about five minutes left.
>>
>>78482086
Words on the internet.
>>
>>78481532
Those colours make me want to vomit
>>
>>78482143
I remember they said something about having to lighten the Family Guy characters/darken the Simpsons characters so they didn't look too out of place in the same scene.
>>
File: 1413772776622.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1413772776622.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
Did this trigger you the first time you saw it?
>>
>>78482248
He literally just brushed it off like "Meh."
>>
watching this now, and I gotta say, its really, really boring.
also the family guy interactions with simpsons are more awkward than funny.
>>
>>78482266
What were you expecting going in?
>>
>>78482266
Rick and Morty's on now, so awesome.
>>
>>78482248
Yes, it was the moment i said "yep, this is a family guy episode"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Rk_DC3B9c
>>
File: 1437730767350.png (61 KB, 220x230) Image search: [Google]
1437730767350.png
61 KB, 220x230
If Shearer was going to take a stand on the quality of the Simpsons, he should have taken it a decade ago.

At this point, you've participated in the Show's worst years, so what's one more?
>>
>>78482930
>this video was uploaded before the crossover episode aired

So, did they leak/commercial spoil the plot or was the plot THAT predictable?
>>
>>78486091
the latter
>>
>>78482113
If you hate it why the fuck do you still watch it?
>>
Apparently Julie Kavner didn't like this thing or want to participate either, although she eventually did in the most half-assed, phoned-in way possible.
>>
>>78481955
the money's just too good, there's no voice acting gig that pays nearly as well as the simpsons

can't really blame him for milking the show for all it's worth
>>
>>78481557
Over a year ago
>>
>>78486091
There was a preview and Joe worked with that
>>
you know what's gonna be interesting when the simpsons is finally over

all the people who'll start to openly talk about how much they hated working on it
>>
>>78481955
Fuckers getting 300k per episode. Morality goes out the window for an actor since it's your job to act what is given to you. Now on the other hand if you're a writer who's work gets butchered, I can find that understanding.
>>
>>78481532
>zombie Simpsons VA pretends they have artistic integrity
>it's actually pettiness
>>
>>78486497
>all the people who'll start to openly talk about how much they hated working on it

We had a guy post on /co/ who claimed to be a Simpsons writer and he said "Yeah it's not great. Ideas are fucking hard for us to come by these days."
>>
>>78482110
Definitely the 1st one. It wouldn't be the case if the Simpsons didn't rely so hard on those shitty plots to drive interest. I really don't give a shit about Moe or Flanders' problem of the week.
>>
Remember when Yeardley Smith complained that the writers wouldn't look at her and they just slammed the door when she dropped in to see how they were doing.
>>
>>78486545
what has she ever done to them?
>>
>>78482930
Better than the real episode.
>>
>>78486162
do you know where you are?

There are people here who watch complete and utter trash just for the chance that two of the characters will even imply that they held hands.
>>
>>78486543
I'd rather have the writers attempt to focus on the supporting cast vs. seeing gore for the sake of it and watching Peter do something retarded while explaining the joke to the audience.

I can still watch the Simpsons, but I've since dropped Family Guy.
>>
>>78486286
Maybe he shouldn't pretend he's too good for it, because he obviously isn't.

>>78486502
Then what the fuck is this "I won't do it for that one episode" business? Did the guy suddenly discovered his morals back, then put them back in his ass the next week?
>>
>>78486589
It's comedy, who fucking cares about the life and times of Otto the bus driver.
The Simpsons became incredibly boring since they started thinking anybody cares about whatever story they came up with that week. They don't even try to make jokes sometimes it seems, they just put a plot in there and just go with that, with little to no attempt at being funny or interesting.
I watch comedy to laugh, why would I watch a comedy show which thinks it's interesting and almost actively tries to not be funny.

Family Guy may be lazy as fuck, but at least they understand you only watch it for a giggle, not for drama or a sociology lesson on the life of single polish-American bar owners.
>>
>>78486650
Family Guy's comedy stopped being funny when they kept on phoning in randumb shit and focused on being assholes to each other. You seem to be someone who's easily amused and can't fathom a story being told, even if it's hit or miss. That's the problem with Family Guy, it doesn't try and when it does, it comes off as out of place and unsettling. At least when serious moments occur in the Simpsons, it's for that moment vs. trying to make a whole episode.

Maybe I've invested more time in the Simpsons than in Family Guy, but a lot of those characters stood out to me, and it's good to see them get some screentime.
>>
>>78486674
I don't care whether you or I think it's funny or not, or whether it's in good taste, at least it's trying to be funny, it makes jokes, it knows it's a comedy.

>You seem to be someone who's easily amused and can't fathom a story being told, even if it's hit or miss
You seem to be a short-sighted dick. I never said I don't like stories, but they're not and shouldn't be the reson to watch a comedy or to think that one comedy is better than the other.

>At least when serious moments occur in the Simpsons, it's for that moment vs. trying to make a whole episode.
That's a damned lie and you know it.
>>
>>78486744
Besides almost all those plot are terrible anyway.
>>
>>78486557
Imagine this.

>make about $60,000 a year on top of Los Angeles living expenses
>you also have to come up with ideas for this burned out show that should have ended when Clinton left office
>you have to go into work every day and see this spoiled princess who makes several million bucks a year to talk into a microphone for a couple hours to voice one character in her normal speaking voice and only works a few weeks out of the year, the rest of which she devotes to her hobbies like designing shoes

I'd slam the door in her fucking horse face too.
>>
>>78486583
>There are people here who watch complete and utter trash just for the chance that two of the characters will even imply that they held hands

There we go. The only people who watch Zombie Simpsons and Zombie FOP are interested in underage shipping and waifus.
>>
>>78486744
>at least it's trying to be funny
Keyword, it tries and it fails. One chuckle, and that's it. I don't miss it at all. And I will take Homer lamenting his mother's absence over Quagmire's sister being abused by her boyfriend and the writers expecting us to take it seriously for the entire episode.

If anyone still finds Family Guy funny, I question your taste. Hell, I'll even give you post-season 9 Simpsons, but so far, the episodes have been getting better, gradually.
>>
>>78486797
It tries (and in your opinion fails) to do what a comedy should do.
I'll take that over a comedy show trying clusmily (and failing, in my opinion) to do drama, especially when it's at the expense of trying to be funny. Yes, Family Guy did it too, 2 damn episodes in 15 seasons, not entire seasons of episodic plot-driven drama like seasons 20-24 of the Simpsons.

> I'll even give you post-season 9 Simpsons
We've been talking about zombie Simpsons, not decent era or good era Simpsons.

I agree that the Simpsons have been less terrible the last couple of years than the previous 5, precisely because they've been going away from drama bs and got back to trying to do comedy (not that they're that good at that either these days).
>>
>>78482059
>it was like watching Seth Mcfarlane rape a corpse for 15 minutes
He was absolutely painfully aware of this too. God what I'd do to punch him in his teeth while he was watching the car wash scene for the first time with that big shiteating grin on his face.
>>
>>78481532
Shearer is in the wrong for going back to Fox's teat. Him leaving the show would've been the first big step towards putting the show out of its misery.
>>
>>78486843
I reiterate: Family Guy is far from the funniest show on television and seeing you defend it only makes arguing with you a lost cause. Forbid a show tries to do more than jokes on top of jokes on top of jokes(and unfunny ones at that).

Enjoy your drawn out gore.
>>
>>78486497
Anon, everyone who was around to see it become shit will be dead before the show is canned.
The only people left will be proud of what they put out.
>>
>>78486557
shes notably been able to influence the writing for things she likes. showrunners telling you to write around some bitches dumb ideas all while working less, and receiving more public recognition and money must be very irritating

and thats without even knowing if shes actually an unpleasant person to be around
>>
>>78481532
It was OK crossover, also it was just Family Guy episode with guest starring Simpsons than proper mix of both shows.
>>
>>78486902
such as?
>>
It's fairly well known that Dan and Hank are the most popular of the cast and the writers' pets.
>>
>>78486867
>Family Guy is far from the funniest show on television
Nobody claimed it was. If you insist on bringing this discussion on the quality of the comedy, zombie Simpsons aren't funny either most of the time.

> Forbid a show tries to do more than jokes on top of jokes on top of jokes(and unfunny ones at that).
They can try, it just has to not come at the expense of trying to be funny, and fuck, it helps if the drama is actually good, which in this case it isn't. Fuck you agree with that, you even used that as an argument againt Family Guy doing drama.

Enjoy speaking like an echo. Here's some /co/ cred.
>>
>>78486902
Yeardley never came off as a dick in any interviews I've seen. Harry Shearer is definitely the biggest douchebag on the cast since he's been whining about the show every day since 1993 and he refused to do any DVD commentaries.
>>
>Groening is so butthurt about the critic crossover he removes his name from the opening
>Is perfectly ok with crossing over with x files, family guy and futurama.

I never understood this
>>
>>78486984
That was back when he still cared.
>>
>>78486984
The X-Files thing was a quick cameo that Matt may have not even been aware happened until years later.

As for the Family Guy and Futurama things...

>>78486991
>>
>>78486902
>>78486557
The writers are pissed because they're forced to ramp up the amount of Lisa episodes to justify what Yeardley is paid for voicing one character.
>>
>>78486996
>quick cameo
It took up quite a large chunk of the episode.
>>
>>78486984
>>78486996
Futurama is a Matt Groening show though.
>>
>>78486984
The critic was competing with the simpsons for the same audience and Matt saw it as giving free advertising to their competitor.

X-files did not share the same audience with the simpsons.

It's all about context.
>>
>>78486902
Cite needed.
>>
>>78482012
I disagree. With Family Guy you always roughly know what you're getting. When The Simpsons turned into Family Guy light it became really boring, confusing and hard to watch.
>>
File: Dat Baby.jpg (48 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Dat Baby.jpg
48 KB, 512x384
>>
File: ios_large_1412951111_image.jpg (83 KB, 600x525) Image search: [Google]
ios_large_1412951111_image.jpg
83 KB, 600x525
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Rk_DC3B9c
>>
>>78481532
but didn't Lenny have any lines in this;

if so then who was voicing him?
>>
>>78482059
>it was like watching Seth Mcfarlane rape a corpse for 15 minutes

So pretty much an average family guy epsiode
>>
Why is Dan so optimistic all the time? I've never seen him complain or get angry. It's unnerving.
>>
>>78481532
Remember when Shearer was gonna leave the show but then pussed out like a bitch at the last second?

Also remember the time they had Andy Dick as a guest star?
>>
>>78488902

he's probably the only one who legit love what he does.

I hope he's coming back as Grandpa Phil for the Hey Arnold finale.
>>
>>78488902
IDK. He's also the only of the cast who's also written for the show. Back when they demanded raises in 06, he said he really didn't need more money and instead only requested that they give him an executive producer credit.
>>
>>78488966
>he's probably the only one who legit love what he does

I've never really heard Yeardley complain either.
>>
>>78488908
Is there a living creature upon this entire planet of earth that hasn't guest starred on the Simpsons.
>>
>>78489009
William Shatner because he likes messing with the writers' heads.
>>
>>78488908

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! I'm not made of stone!"
>>
Julie Kavner would probably have the most to complain about since Marge has been mutilated beyond recognition by the writers and her throat is totally destroyed by this point so recording lines must be hell, but she's a virtual hermit by now who doesn't give interviews or appear in public or anything.
>>
>>78488992
She tries to actively insert herself into the writing process with the result that stuff like >>78486545 happens.
>>
>>78481532
Yes. Yes he was.
>>
>>78486902
It's well known that Yeardly pushes for more Lisa episodes and is about as obnoxious as the character she voices.

They're the cookie cutter hollywood know it all. They think that since they make 300k an episode and gets more episodes focused around her character, that she's the most important person there and can also write.
>>
>>78481532
What is up with FG's hateboner for Bob's Burgers?
>>
>>78489479
she wants every episode to be like Summer of 4'2" which is to say the emotional travails of Lisa Simpson
>>
>>78488642
>NYAAAHHH
>mmmhmr
>NYAHHH
>mmmhrmrmmrmhr
>NYAAAHH
>mmmhrmmrmh
>>
>>78489484
Bob's Burgers is an actually funny show where the characters have distinct personalities and are likable. Family Guy hasn't been good in forever and Bob's Burgers just keeps growing on us, and in their predictable, petty, lazy way, Family Guy has to take swipes at them because they threaten to overtake their popularity.

But it's all in good fun because they pointed out that their Cleveland spin off failed too, even though it shared the same programming block.
>>
>>78489484
Simpsons is untouchable and the FG staff are bitter hateful sods.
>>
>>78489479
>>78489509
you don't even know this woman you sweaty cunts. you're the kind of simpsons nerds the show actively made fun of
>>
>>78490019
Bobs burgers fucking sucks.
>>
>>78486091
They released a SDCC preview that pretty much spelled out the entire episode.
>>
>>78486770
>make about $60,000 a year
Oh, dude, the Simpsons VAs make faaaaar more than that.
>>
>>78491465
I think he was talking about the writers making 60k a year.
>>
>>78490417
Seth please go
>>
>>78488902
Because when Simpsons is cancelled, he can always fall back on his role as angry postman.
>>
>>78490252
Insiders on the show know what she's like.
>>
>>78489479
yeah shes always trying to give the writers ideas and telling them how to do their job
>>
>>78490019
>Bob's Burgers is an actually funny show
Not really though.
>>
>>78482930
chris x lisa fukkin otp
>>
>>78481532
Both shows shouldn't be on air anymore.
>>
>>78490019
Bob's Burgers is my favorite show on Fox.
>>
No, Shearer just thinks he's a special snowflake and likes to complain until they pay him to shut up.
>>
>>78481532
This crossover episode showed just how flawed and horrible Family Guy is and how well put together the Simpsons is. This episode is what is slowly dropping the ratings of Family Guy.
>>
>>78494585
>Remembers the Simpsons PC game that explores Springfield as a whole and it's accurate to Hit and Run as well.
They did put a lot of work into making Springfield a living town.
>>
>>78488966
Hank Azaria seems to love what he does, too.
>>
I was more mad at the fact that it was just an hour long family guy episode, it should have been 30 minutes of simpsons 30 minutes of family guy.
>>
>>78494828
That was probably to avoid the headaches of what would then become figuring out which syndication/cable package the two episodes would then go in.
>>
>>78494751
All evidence seems to indicate that him, Dan, and Yeardley enjoy their jobs very much. Nancy Cartwright I have no idea and Julie Kavner's throat is so chewed up by now I can't imagine she...
>>
>/pol/shit thread about Israel's nukes deleted

MODS=GODS
>>
>>78489484
>>78490019
>>78490112
You guys don't actually think this, do you? There's no bitter cross-show rivalry conspiracy shit here. Half the time H. Jon Benjamin himself REQUESTS for those jabs to be shoved in because he knows more people watch Family Guy than Bob's and wants the publicity for Bob's. They're all friends you fucking knobs.
>>
>>78490112
>Simpsons is untouchable
Quagmire doesn't think so.
>>
>>78481532
I'm not saying Family Guy is by any stretch good, but it's never made me openly cringe. It's fine. Not particularly good, not particularly bad.

I watched an episode of the simpsons, something to do with Lady Gaga and Lisa.

I've never cringed so hard.

And until that episode, I would've tried to defend the newer simpsons episodes but now? I just can't try to defend what the show is now.
>>
>>78487601
Wasn't the critic made by people who worked on the simpsons? And how would a niche show like that compete with a juggernaut like the simpsons?
>>
>>78499963
Yeh, Jean & Reiss.
>>
>>78481869
>slightly below average Simpsons episode
cool story bro, simpsons haven't produced a single watchable episode in over a decade
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.