[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Final Crisis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: FinalCrisis.jpg (15 KB, 235x346) Image search: [Google]
FinalCrisis.jpg
15 KB, 235x346
I'm a huge fan of Grant Morrison, but I really can't get into Final Crisis. It has the same problem that almost all the Crises had in that it's so focused on "the big picture" and being the biggest threat to everything that so much of it lacks focus. Every page just feels like it's trying to one-up the one before it for a constant "oh shit" moment.

I get the whole comics meta-commentary angle that Morrison was going for, but I think he just did a much better job of it in things like Animal Man and even his Batman stuff.
>>
pleb
>>
The main story isn't that great. Superman Beyond and the tie-ins that had little to do with the main plot were the best.
>>
>>78475256
The most common defense of Final Crisis.
>>
>>78475385
*The correct
>>
>>78475166

Final Crisis as a whole event I feel is kind of uneven, but Superman Beyond 3D is legitimately one of my favorite comics of all time.
>>
>Final Crisis
>less focused than Batman or Animal Man

FC has the central New Gods plot to center the meta-commentary. The Monitor stuff is admittedly where the meat of the story is, but he didn't have literally dozens of issues of other stories like in Batman or Animal Man. It's probably his most concise, focused DC work in this vein.
>>
File: darkseid-is-here.jpg (161 KB, 1002x744) Image search: [Google]
darkseid-is-here.jpg
161 KB, 1002x744
best part of final crisis hands down
>>
>>78476246

Still gives me chills.
>>
I've read FC around 4 times and everytime I do it gets better and better. I didn't understand much of it my first read either, doesn't mean it's not good.
>>
Really Final Crisis would have been a lot better overall if he had cut out shit that didnt matter at all like Checkmate, and those stupid japanese kids, and focused on the space vampire so he didnt come in the last page of the main series like the boss of a shitty final fantasy game.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 559x588) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 559x588
>>78478258
>stupid japanese kids
>not liking Super Young Team
>>
>>78478258
>he didnt come in the last page of the main series like the boss of a shitty final fantasy game.
I mean, considering Superman 3D is included in every collection of the story, this is less true in actuality.
>>
File: 1233718761857.jpg (158 KB, 802x476) Image search: [Google]
1233718761857.jpg
158 KB, 802x476
>>78478258
>those stupid japanese kids

Mosexbat was best boy you fucking pleb
>>
>>78478309
>>78478373
>Liking a shitty remake of an already shitty team

>>78478350
Then why wasnt it in the main story. if its that important, focus on that instead of german supergirl crashing, or libra, or even darkseid.
>>
It really is shit. It's only liked by people who go "b-but see! superheroes aren't just for kids!!!"
>>
>>78478466
>Then why wasnt it in the main story.
Who's to say it wasn't? Just because it doesn't have "Final Crisis" on the top of each issue doesn't mean it isn't a crucial part of the narrative.

I know DC failed to get this across back in 2008, but 7 years is more than enough time to get acclimated with what's going on.
>>
>>78475565
It's not even a defense, you didn't adress any of OP's points.
>>
>>78478520
Why do they let women on the internet?
>>
>>78475332
>implying Nix's story isn't the best
pleb
>>
I thought it was great. I don't understand the people who say it's confusing, everything is spelled out pretty clearly.
>>
>>78478540

Hey I'm a woman and I love Final Crisis. Don't blame all shitty opinions on us.
>>
>>78475599
If only it was longer than two issues.
>>
>>78475166
did you read all the required reading before it? like jack kirby's new gods saga, seven soldiers, 52 etc. final crisis really only works if you've read everything else beforehand.
>>
>>78479089
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
idk about you guys but i sincerely miss the super young team, the great ten or whatever august-in-chains etc chinese team, i miss the idea of checkmate as this all encompassing spy network withh members ranging from Max Lord to Alan Scott.

I started reading comics in middle school right before Our Worlds at War, and its not even "muh dc" when i talk about 2008-2010, and shit was way better.

the Formerly Justice League book? the brightest day spin off with them after max lord? 52? red robins entire first vol was tight, even when they updated the cowl/uniform it got better. drake bested ras. batman inc was just starting and fantastic.

and then came a great idea. lets put johns back on flash with this manapaul guy on art. and BOOM shit was FIRE. but i think the first issue or 4th-5th had a teaser at the end with a splash promo page for "flashpoint" a flash centric event....sigh.
>>
most grant morrison books are better after reading annotations or original online content trying to analyze the comics. then its just like "oh shit how did I not get what the hole in things meant?!"
>>
>>78481840
Wait... What does the hole in things mean?
I haven't yet read Batman Inc so don't spoil if they explain it there... Otherwise TELL ME PLS
>>
>>78481903
bump
>>
>>78482675
delete this
>>
>>78483226
Why be a.faggot?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mqte68EoQs1qz4rgp.png (237 KB, 415x336) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mqte68EoQs1qz4rgp.png
237 KB, 415x336
>>78483250
australian
>>
>>78483285
You ruined my 100 dollar absolute exition of Batman Inc that I got myself for christmas.
I truly hate you.
>>
>>78475599
Really? I found that part to be the most confusing by far.
>>
i sorta felt like it had a lot of interesting ideas that didn't amount to much. one moment we see darkseid revived as this big awesome guy but then we see him as an old guy in denim jeans that gets shot by batman. we see mandrakk who's like this enemy of all existence then he just gets stabbed by some green lanterns while nix uotan summons some awesome people that stand by and just watch. libra's this awesome harbringer of evil who does nothing (why didn't darkseid just enslave luthor and sivana with anti-life too?) the world is ending but everything seems peachy on oa.
it's a fun read but ultimately what's the point
>>
>>78483460
don't worry damian comes back in robin rises (which isn't even a spoiler his ugly face is plastered all over robin war promo material)
>>
>>78481903
It's Dr Hurt.
>>
>>78483829
I knew that... I thought there was sone secret like the hole in things was actually Darkseids fall in FC or something.
>>
>>78483460
>goes to a Morrison thread and doesn't expect spoilers
Are you retarded
>>
>>78484093
Are you?
>>
>>78478466
>Then why wasnt it in the main story

Because it was a tie-in written by the man writing the main series, you filthy pleb.
>>
>>78483460

It's your fault for not reading it immediately.
>>
File: 1456506-19571729.jpg (163 KB, 507x800) Image search: [Google]
1456506-19571729.jpg
163 KB, 507x800
yfw

>HOLY FUCKING SHIT BALLS COSMIC ARMOR SUPERMAN
>A GALAXY AT HIS FINGER TIPS
>HE HEARS A BREATHING... THAT'S YOU MOTHERFUCKER HE CAN HEAR YOU BREATHING AND THE FOURTH WALL BEING ACKNOWLEDGED
>>
>>78484321
>not putting on your 3-D glasses so Superman can touch your face
>>
>>78484321
why superman? what makes him so special
>>
File: KathyDeath.png (982 KB, 715x683) Image search: [Google]
KathyDeath.png
982 KB, 715x683
Can someone please explain this page? I've read Morrison's entire Batman run and I have no idea what is going on here. Is it it a reference to some obscure 50s comic?
>>
>>78484431

Yes.
>>
>A galaxy
dude that's bigger than the galaxy, that is the sum of all things that have been imagined and forgotten by any creature capable of thought
>>
>>78484431
You need to use drugs when reading this page
Then try to talk with your soul, he will explain it all
>>
What outside of Morrison should I read before this?

I already know his JLA, Seven Soldiers, All-Star Superman etc and also Jack Kirby's Fourth World. Don't really know what the fuck a Monitor is but I know it's a Crisis thing. Do I have to read all of the Crisis comics?
>>
>>78484475
Do you know which one, or even what happened in it? It's none of the stories included in the Black Casebook.
>>
>>78484575
They recap monitor history for you in Superman Beyond so I don't know if it's necessary to really have prior information.
>>
>>78484321
>the whole continuum trembles as if being cradled
>reading trade edition while standing blew my mind
>>
>>78484363
The fact that he codified the conventions of modern super heroes? The fact that he is one of the strongest heroes around? Maybe its just that he is a paragon of morality and an ideal for
all super heroes everywhere? I do not know anon you tell me.
>>
>>78484612

No idea, but it would make sense that it's from that same time period as the the Black Casebook stories. Aliens and shit was all the rave back then. The reason its' not in the Black Casebook is because those were collected around the time when Grant was writing Batman R.I.P, so it had shit like Batman of Zurr en Arrh which tied to the stuff Grant was at the time using in his book. Inc's years later.
>>
Morrison's story that are just a thinly veiled commentary on comics as a medium can sometimes be his best, but I feel like with Final Crises he tried to do that while also teling the epic world ending event that all Crisis titles demand. Doing either of those requires the story's entire focus imo, and it resulted in a story that went too far without addressing the main themes in a succinct way.

FC definitely had some really cool moments that people have posted here, but the story as a whole felt disconnected and trying to hit every note at once.
>>
>>78485419
that's lame
>>
>>78486144
You're lame.
>>
>>78475166
>I'm a huge fan of Grant Morrison,
>I really can't get into Final Crisis
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>78478466
Because Darkseid took over and no one knows what's going on. I think it does a really great job of giving you that feeling of uncertainty and worry that would come fom not knowing what the fuck is going on(until you read the tie ins)
>>
>that page when Superman is eye-lasering fucking everything in sight
It's always scary seeing him pissed off
>>
>>78485036

I read this comic for the first time on an airplane, I had picked it up from a Barnes and Noble the night before to kill an hour on the flight. I was not expecting to have my mind blown and thrown into an existential crisis on the nature of free will in the middle of it.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.