[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>GM-O's >Listen to your gut, not the lawsuits. Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7
File: msmarv2014003001_col.jpg (301 KB, 1031x1566) Image search: [Google]
msmarv2014003001_col.jpg
301 KB, 1031x1566
>GM-O's
>Listen to your gut, not the lawsuits.
Is this a jab at Monsanto?
>>
b-bump
>>
>>78452307
Probably.

Also the people that parrot the proGMO propaganda.
>>
>>78452307
Yes.
>>
Missourian here. Sorry about the gigantic evil biotech corp, folks.
>>
>>78452887
>implying GMOs are bad
Fuck off.
>>
Maybe? I think a lot of people take tongue-in-cheek reference humor too seriously. Unless the artist tells you differently, it probably means nothing, other than a sight gag. That's one of the great things about post-modernism; you get ten interpretations of a single thing, because artistic intent is forfeit.
>>
>>78452973
>let's make self-propagating artificial life forms
>this is never going to nip us in the butt
>I mean, natural species haven't destroyed ecosystems when just transferred to other continents or anything, how would artificially enhanced ones come to do that?
>>
>>78452973
The last time science thought it had one-upped nature on nutrition was partially hydrogenated fat, aka Transfat.

Was supposed to be healthier than natural fat.
>>
>>78453041
You've been watching too much science fiction. You don't have an argument aside from, "b-but the movies told me science can go too far". GMO crops can't even reproduce normally. They are typically hybrids bred solely for a single generation of highly productive crops. Two different strains have to be bred to produce the superior hybrid every year.
>>
>>78453089
Transfats weren't engineered. Where the fuck are you getting this malarkey?
>>
>>78453149
They do occour naturally, but the majority of ingested ones are synthesized from unsaturated fat.
>>
>>78453091
Oh great so it's just a drain on resources not a risk to the world. Awesome, not like resources are finite or anything.
>>
>>78453091
No, I got most of that from arte documentaries.
About the actual impact of Monsanto products on Indian farming communities and the Mexican flora.
>>
>>78452307
Actually, no. It's a complicated in-joke relating to two of Sana Amanat's college buddies: Deepa Gunari and Frederick Muller (G. and M.) who were crushed to death by a Kellog's cereal truck while out on a drunken joyride. Kellog's refused to settle and there was a huge petition on Columbia's campus to raise money and awareness for the lawsuit led by Sana, which eventually resulted in Kellog's paying out massively for a negligence claim. There's usually a small reference to the two in every Miss Marvel comic - it's a kind of memorial, but personally I think it's in pretty bad taste.
>>
>anti-GMO-fags prefer using radiation to randomly mutate crops for breeding instead of doing exactly what breeders want right off the bat using genetic engineering
You people are literally afraid of acronyms and nothing else because they make your head hurt.
>>
>>78453214
>need far less water, fertilizer or pesticides to grow the same crops
>IT'S A DRAIN ON RESOURCES

Fucking really
>>
>>78453206
Correct, they do not occur naturally, but they were never engineered. Did you hear that from some bullshit source or did you make that conclusion yourself? Transfats were just an uforseen result of the various cooking processes processed foods go through which don't happen in nature.
>>
It astonishes me that anti-GMO people even exist. The leading cause of death in America is heart failure, and the thing you choose to care about is switching out a few nutrients in your food? This isn't fucking Resident Evil.
>>
>>78453214
The fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>78453326
I'm not anti-gmo. I am anti-Monsanto however.
>>
Scientific concensus says that gravity is real, there is laws of thermodynamics, toothpaste improves dental health and that GMOS are safe. If you question one of those, you shouldn't believe in any of them. You shouldn't even be allowed to use the Internet, you ignant, misinfospreading fags
>>
>>78453326
The same goes for terrorism. People seem to care more about the threat of terrorism than heart disease and car collisions.
>>
>>78453326

It's worse than that, look at developing countries that are struggling to move out of subsistence farming that have to rely on poor soil, pest infestations and possibility of droughts or floods. GMO crops thay require fewer resources for more guarantee of return produce would be a godsend for places in Africa for example, but anti-GMO people are blocking research that would go into making local staple crops in those areas more productive and reliable.
>>
>>78453290
No, I'm pretty sure they were added to some recipes expressly for the purposes of improving the quality/cost in some way or another. Which is why it was relatively easy for companies to just not have them in products when the government set regulations on them.
>>
>>78453290
Wrong on every single count.

It took a hundred years of people pointing out that this shit is bad, And in the 80-90s there was a huge push for fast-food joins to swap from beef tallow to transfat vegetable oil for anything to actually happen.

Including research showing this shit was bad as early as the 1950s.
>>
>>78453360
How can entropy be reduced?
>>
>>78452973
GMOs are fine. It's the IP law that's bullshit.
>>
>>78453360
Scientific consensus also said that the world was about 1000miles smaller than it was, that the earth was the center of the universe, that Einstien was wrong, that Hawking was wrong, that the universe was a steady state and thousands upon thousands of other examples.

Scientific consensus is fucking nothing.
>>
>>78453276
>>78453331
Not that anon or agreeing, but I think he's saying and thinking instead of just using resources for the one "natural" crop, in order for the hybrid to exist it requires two crops which result in a third.
I'm guessing they assume therefore there's three, or 2.5, times as much resources used to keep this up as a result.

Despite getting involved don't involve me in this. Re-respond to the anon.
>>
>>78453391
Nothing about what I said goes against what you just said. Transfats weren't engineered. They were just a side effect of the cheapest processes.
>>
>>78453432
Don't brush your teeth, get off the internet and jump off a building then
>>
>>78453351

Part of the problem is that just like pharmaceuticals, developing new seed strains is a high-risk, but high-return investment if you find a successful way to manipulate crop genomes. It takes a lot of investment and huge R&D budgets to make them, and this anti-GMO nonsense from activists prevent more research that would lead to bringing down the costs and allowing other companies to get in on the business.

But because there's only really a half-dozen companies who do that research and produce successful GMO crops, most of that research money gets funneled into heavily subsidized crops like corn and soybeans, rather than spread around to where the market need actually is.
>>
>>78453395
INSUFFICIENT DATA
>>
>>78453326
Most of Europe is opposed to GMOs being brought anywhere near their continent.
Mostly because Monsanto has done a most terrible job at containing the stuff, treating farmers fairly and proving their products to not cause harm to the environment or people in any matter the public found convincing.
Also Europe is quite content that its fertile soils have so far proven capable of feeding the continent and then some.
Overproduction is a problem in fact.
So there is no need at all to switch to some American megacorp's products and get buttfucked in the courts a thousand ways when they push their IP claims.
>>
>>78453486
You do realize that there is no data supporting fluoride doing anything positive for teeth right?
>>
>>78453441
Well that's not how it works.
>>
>>78453513
>Mostly because Monsanto has done a most terrible job at containing the stuff
Source.
>>
>>78453489
>most of that research money gets funneled into heavily subsidized crops like corn and soybeans, rather than spread around to where the market need actually is.
Like what?
>>
>>78454014
Wasn't Monsanto the company that killed all those birds

They have a dirty history
>>
>>78454052

Frost proofing oranges and tomatoes, for example
>>
>>78454065
DDT? A lot of companies produced the stuff and it was overused before being banned. Now they are reconsidering its use for small scale domestic use to control malaria occurrences. Spreading it over cops is ill advised but using it around the crevices of homes to keep mosquitoes getting in could save a lot of lives with little environmental impact.
>>
>>78454262
>Frost proofing oranges and tomatoes
But why are they better than corn and soy beans? Corn has crazy amounts yields and the UN considers it perhaps the most important crop on Earth. Soybeans are a great means of nitrifying the soil and producing a lot of plant protein. Keeping soy and corn markets strong does a lot to ensure food security.
>>
>>78453041
Guess what, we've been modifying our food to fit our needs for as long as we began farming.

Bananas are green with seeds in them, apples are bred to be sweet, corn wasn't always yellow. Our food is modified even without a science lab.
>>
>>78454632
B-But GMOs have a complicated science acronym. I wasn't good at science in school so I can't trust what those scientists say. Scientists created nuclear arms. You can't hug your children with nuclear arms.
>>
>>78454558
*crazy yeilds
>>
>>78452307
I want GMO hating hippies to get out of my comics and cartoons and stay go.

Unless it's simply a jab at Monsanto's group of lawyers. That's reasonable.
>>
>>78454804
So how are those Asian carp doing in your rivers?
Still killing everything and jumping into faces?
>>
>>78454558
>corn has crazy amounts of yield

Mainly because of the GMO modification that we rely on. Other crops could have crazy amounts of yield if other research went into it. But corn was heavily subsidized by the goverment so people grew shitloads of corn and other people tried to figure out how to make other things from corn because we had so much of it which led to demand for MORE corn and here we are.
>>
File: 49595-7390.jpg (54 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
49595-7390.jpg
54 KB, 320x240
>>78454879
>implying fish were genetically engineered
>>
>>78454879

Asiatic carp aren't GMO fish if that's what you're bitching about. Neither are zebra mussles or apple snails or other invasive organisms.
>>
>>78454632
Bit of a difference between selective breeding and gene splicing anon. Ones tried and true for thousands of years and the other is what, a decade or so old? Enjoy getting cancer because you put faith in unvetted techniques.
But generally its a public image problem.
>>
>>78454926
Uh, no. Corn has always been particularly productive. Africa's population skyrocketed only after Europeans traded maize to them.

But yeah, genetic modifications can improve corn and other crops. Corn probably gets more research because it's market is so huge.
>>
>>78454941
>>78454958
Not at all.
Just a point on how existing species can fuck you over.
No need to make more competetive ones on top.
>>
>>78453276
Don't farmers have to continuely purchase seeds for one, rather than replanting their own crops like we did since agriculture began?
>>
>>78455071
>buy seed
>grow corn/soybeans
>harvest corn/soybeans and sell them to make a profit
>buy more seed

It's how it's always worked.
>>
>>78455000
Well good thing then that GMO crops aren't typically even capable of doing that. Good seed is typically a hybrid that wouldn't persist in the environment even if you wanted to. It must be grown in a controlled environment to ensure the right traits from the parent plants.

Another fun fact, the standard banana everyone eats are all clones of one another.
>>
>>78455071
What >>78455116 said.

In fact a big problem with African food security is that after a few bad harvests African farmers can't afford the best seed. Simply using leftover seed from the last harvest never produces similarly high yields.
>>
>>78454999
I'll never get why.
That stuff is complete shit.
Holds no water to potatoes.

>>78455162
I'm not quite familiar with farming, but why would you not use a part of your yield to seed next year?
Why become dependent on an outside company?
>>
>>78455199
Potatoes produce the most calories per square kilometer but not as much nutrition as I understand it.
>>
>>78455199
>I'm not quite familiar with farming, but why would you not use a part of your yield to seed next year?
As an example, sometimes the best yields are produced by using hybrid seed. The next generation doesn't produce the same yields. The seed has to be hybridized every year. Farmers pay more for the seed but more than make up for it with higher yields.

Humans have gotten really good at agriculture.
>>
>>78455350
That would depend entirely on the kind of potato you plant, I imagine. They come in all sizes, colors and consitencies.
Would imagine the contents vary as well.

>>78455389
But the problem, far as I understand it, is that the seed producers have gotten the upper hand and like to push farmers.
So why is there no effort to protect the foundation on which the nation rests?
>>
>>78453041
>this is what retards actually believe.
>>
>>78455549
>That would depend entirely on the kind of potato you plant, I imagine. They come in all sizes, colors and consitencies.
>Would imagine the contents vary as well.
Yes, but corn still is better over all of the in some regards. It makes great cattle feed for one. How that fact influences your opinion of corn though depends on your opinion of meat.
>>
>>78455549
>So why is there no effort to protect the foundation on which the nation rests?
Don't want to bite the hand that seeds.
>>
>>78452307
Of course it is, it's written and drawn by SJWs
>>
>>78455549
>But the problem, far as I understand it, is that the seed producers have gotten the upper hand and like to push farmers.
I don't know where you are hearing that. I've talked with farmers and they love the high yield seed despite the price. Everyone makes more money because it's simply the best option available.
>>
>>78452307
Cheerio's is made by GM (General Mills) so could also be that
>>
>>78455660
Never said it doesn't suit cows.
Just that it doesn't suit me.

>>78455724
I heard there were a lot of lawsuits and legal manhandling coming out of Monsanto in particular, forcing people to stick to contracts that ruined them or suing over alleged infringements after their product genes showed up in fields where they were not supposed to be.
>>
>>78455858
There were a few lawsuits but it's not some general blight afflicting all farmers buying Monsanto seed. The high yield seeds I'm talking about aren't even necessarily developed by Monsanto nor are GMOs. It's just hybridization and the explanation to your question as to why farmers are best served by buying seed every year.
>>
>>78454992
Thats like saying we should still be using horse because the first cars were slow as shit and ran horrible on dirt roads.
>>
>>78453412
Basically. Norman Borlaug got a prize because he used GMOs to cure a bit of world hunger. It's Monsanto and such that are really fucking around with GMOs, both genetically and economically/politically
>>
>>78457157
It takes a lot of money to develop GMOs. They need to ensure returns on genuinely useful products.
>>
>ITT: people who don't know science but like to have opinions on it
>>
>>78458272
Could people only speak of that which they truly know, hardly a word would be spoken.
Also this is 4chan. Being opinionated about shit you know nothing about is a given.
And this is a problem with so many layers nobody could really know all about them.
So yeah, nobody here understands all there is to be known about the science of genetic engineering, research finance, corporate ethics, all relevant empirical data, politics, agriculture, all the shit that will happen around this on the future....
>>
Reminder that the "Monsanto kills poor Indian farmers" is a leftist myth among many others

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-gmo-mass-suicides-are-a-myth-1565342067
>>
>>78453351
It's the ignorant restrictions on GMOs bred for stupid hippies that enables Monsanto's monopoly by pricing them out of other smaller agro-businesses range.
>>
File: 18dxpnzewqxeyjpg.jpg (247 KB, 500x677) Image search: [Google]
18dxpnzewqxeyjpg.jpg
247 KB, 500x677
ITT
>>
>>78454709
Yep, if anyone disagrees with you, its because they're ignorant. Blind faith in the process is the scientific way.
>>
>>78458547
I would doubt the reasons for the restrictions here.
American politics are heavily influenced by big money and implementing a bill that benefits a monopolist under the guise of security concerns sounds more likely than this being an honest mistake.
In any case, it just hastens the general trend.
>>
>>78458762
Can't blame them too much.

They don't put togather how there're adds for a new drug every other week, and then a year later a class action lawsuit for the thousands of deaths and injuries that drug causes.

They were never told about how cocaine was considered a harmless thing by medical science, to the point that it was a soft-drink ingredient.

How, when it was new, they used radiation to SIZE FUCKING SHOES.

Science is not done by gods, it is done by human beings, who're every bit as fallible, bribable and all else, as any other person. If not more so, since the majority of their paychecks come from either corperations or the government.

Hell, there were countless studies showing how Leaded Gasoline was absolutely harmless, ignore those fucks who worked at the additive plant who went insane.

But, corperate studies that say GMO is harmless? That's totally legit science bro.
>>
>>78458844
Looking at it from the perspective of a business exec trying to make as much money as possible, that makes a lot of sense.

Humans are complicated.
>>
>>78458945
Not so much if you know what the winning strategies are and how corruption works.
>>
>>78452887
>>78453041
>>78453089
>D-Don't play god
Fuck off you retards.
GMO's are
>Helping fight our Carbon footprint
>Helping feed millions in 3rd world countries
>Making cheaper food
But NOO it's against god and is wrong!
>>
>>78459035
Your fedora is spinning. None of those posts mention God or gods at all.

But, as long as you're projecting, you want to show a movie?
>>
>>78459035
Would do more to replace rice fields with corn and potatoes, really.
>>
>>78458645
Comic makes a valid point about certain laypeople being alarmists, but humans do have a history of rushing ahead with new technologies/discoveries without stopping to assess all the risks responsibly. Take the various widespread ill-effects of radium, for example. It was widely touted as a fortifying, healthy substance, and people were drinking water from radium-lined coolers and being exposed to ludicrous levels of the shit before medical science finally made the connection between peoples' jaws falling off and misuse of radium. Hell, look up the Radium Girls while you're at it.

People just want due prudence.
>>
File: tips.jpg (392 KB, 2048x1566) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
392 KB, 2048x1566
>>78459035
>>
>>78453221

... Jesus.

And here I thought ms. Marvel was a feel good comic. I need a drink
>>
>>78459137
Ah, radium, that's a perfect addition to my "list of shit science thought was perfectly healthy until proven entirely wrong"
>>
>>78458437
that is exactly what I studied in college
food security
but this thread is like listening to a bunch of stoners talk about how we're in the matrix or illumanati bs
>>
>>78459035
true doe senpai
>>
>>78454709
>You can't hug your children with nuclear arms.
My nuclear powered arms can hug children with 200 times the efficiency of a normal parent.
>>
>>78459282
It gets worse: During the court proceedings, Kellogg's demanded the graves of the two be exhumed and brought into the courtroom as part of a defense that suggested that the two had never really died at all. Despite the outrage, Kellogg's got their way; the coffins were brought into the courtroom and opened up. Then a skeleton popped out.
>>
>>78459408
But can they see why the kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
>>
>>78458645
Diaz actually has talent deep down inside. Too bad its deep inside his own asshole where the rest of him is.
>>
File: 8FxEa.gif (1014 KB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
8FxEa.gif
1014 KB, 290x189
>>78453221
>>78459431
>the coffins were brought into the courtroom and opened up. Then a skeleton popped out.
Jesus anon.
>>
File: 1386816563530.jpg (176 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1386816563530.jpg
176 KB, 800x800
>>78459431
>>
>>78459219
>>78459073
>No argument
>le tip
>>
>>78459431
Anon, man, I wish you were my friend IRL.
>>
>>78455071
Monsanto's RoundUp-resistant seeds are sterile so farmers do have to buy seeds every harvest cycle. But it's actually environmentally friendly to do that so super fast-growing and propagating plants don't escape the farmlands and choke out the native wild flora.
>>
File: FkYGdBV.jpg (617 KB, 960x3896) Image search: [Google]
FkYGdBV.jpg
617 KB, 960x3896
>>78459443
Sleepwalkers was cool.
>>
>>78455858
>infringements after their product genes showed up in fields where they were not supposed to be.
I've only heard about that once where seed accidentally flew into one farmer's field and he grew it without Monsanto's permission.
They actually spent two years sending him cease and desist letters and trying to work with him before they moved on to taking it to court when the farmer made it clear he had no intention to stop using Monsanto's product.
>>
>>78460196

You can also buy batches of seed gathered from other farmers that has mixed results from a bunch of different strains together, plant the batch, then spray a general-spectrum broad leafed herbicide (the "Round-Up" in "Round-Up Resistant" seeds) and select the plants that survive. Heard about that case from my uncle who runs a family farm in central Illinois.
>>
>>78460308
Does that break the law?
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.