[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypercrisis Topic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 17
Grant Morrison is a crazy person who believes that comic books will become real if we believe in them hard enough. This is apparent throughout his own statements and the body of his work itself.

He was going to work on a new Crisis for DC, a Hyper Crisis, that would've united all of his work into a single narrative.

>mfw Hyper Crisis was going to be a sigil
>mfw Morrison would've united every DC comic into a single timeline
>mfw DC becomes more "tangible" by being a large, single, cohesive unit
>mfw the brains of every DC fan are a focii united in thoughtwaves to bring their world into ours
>mfw the New 52 aborted the Hyper Crisis before it could become Real by rejecting the previous body of comics and having the new universe's continuity make no sense
>mfw "story trumps continuity" is an ongoing effort to muddy DC's consistency and therefore prevent the Hyper Crisis

Someone at DC believes in the Hyper Crisis, or at least believes that Grant Morrison is a crazy person.
>>
>story trumps continuity is an ongoing effort to muddy DC's consistency and therefore prevent the Hypercrisis.
Holy shit are you wrong. Like, story trumps continuity is the exact opposite of what your described. Hypercrisis isn't about a unified, cohesive timeline. It's about how there is no such thing, and how that is the best possible thing for comics.
>>
dale
>>
>>78446924
Top kek
>>
>>78446914
This guy is right. Morrison is enacting hypercrisis by transforming DC's characters and stories into memes. At least, he's attempting to make them more easily transferable memes
>>
>>78449754
>mfw Morrison is trying to turn DC into the Patriot A.I. and Superman into his BB.
How can we stop him, /co/?
>>
SInce I have nowhere else to post this, and it's not worth it's own thread, can someone try to explain Ultra Comics to me, or at least their interpretation of it? Cause I've seen it hailed as the greatest comic of 2015, but I've read it and all I saw as a decent story with a few interesting ways of breaking the fourth wall. I mean, I liked, but I feel like I'm missing a level.
>>
>>78450965
It's too deep for you
>>
>>78451171
Thanks. Mind explaining why? I mean, I want to get it. I like Morrison's work. But I just don't.
>>
>>78451241
You're the bad guy, ultimately. You may think you're helping but you're not. Also: it's too deep for you.
>>
>>78449882
>Millar and Morrison were close friends until one betrayed the other
>Miller and BB were close friends until one of one betrayed the other
>Millar
>Miller
You may be onto something here.
>>
>>78450965
Be careful what you let in your head.
>>
>>78446924
Who?
>>
File: ultra comics.png (849 KB, 861x829) Image search: [Google]
ultra comics.png
849 KB, 861x829
>>78450965

This kind of stuff blows peoples minds.
>>
He should write a story about someone writing a story that develops into a movie. Maybe then his dreams will come true.

Millar writes better Superman stories btw
>>
>>78454406
D A L E
A
L
E
>>
"...Manuals, anthologies, summaries, literal versions, authorized re-editions and pirated editions of the Greatest Work of Man flooded and still flood the earth. Almost immediately, reality yielded on more than one account.

The truth is that it longed to yield. Ten years ago any symmetry with a resemblance of order - dialectical materialism, anti-Semitism, Nazism - was sufficient to entrance the minds of men. How could one do other than submit to Tlön, to the minute and vast evidence of an orderly plant?

It is useless to answer that reality is also orderly. Perhaps it is, but in accordance with divine laws - I translate: inhuman laws - which we never quite grasp. Tlön is surely a labyrinth, but it is a labyrinth devised by men, a labyrinth destined to be deciphered by men.

The contact and the habit of Tlön have disintegrated this world.

Enchanted by its rigor, humanity forgets over and again that it is a rigor of chess masters, not of angels. Already the schools have been invaded by the (conjectural) "primitive language" of Tlön; already the teaching of its harmonious history (filled with moving episodes) has wiped out the one which governed in my childhood; already a fictitious past occupies in our memories the place of another, a past of which we know nothing with certainty -

not even that it is false."
>>
>>78446924
>>78455121
Dumb pitbullposter
>>
>it's all connected!
>stories are alive!

Honestly, Morrison's stuff always feels rather trite to me.
>>
>>78455573
It's a trite concept but his execution is good. I prefer it to things like Bendis's plots which sound good but then you get Bendisspeak execution.
>>
You're misinterpreting things a little, but it's well known that Johns is in on it with Morrison.
>>
File: 1456506-19571729.jpg (163 KB, 507x800) Image search: [Google]
1456506-19571729.jpg
163 KB, 507x800
>>78454555
Morrison's great at doing this. This page in Superman Beyond was fucking awesome.
>and from a direction that has no name comes a sound like breathing
>and the whole continuum trembles, as if being cradled
>I was standing up holding the trade version in my hand when I noticed my hands trembling slightly as I read it
Made my stomach drop a bit when I first made the connection.
>>
He's just a liberal cuck
>>
>>78450965
I don't know if it was the comic of the year or even if the best Multiversity issue (The Just was better, though it was 2014). But it was still pretty good. The annoying thing is that Morrison keeps making that mistake with the rubix cube.
>>
>>78458584
It was, at the very least, the best Multiversity issue of the year
>>
>>78455974
le ebin real world comics :DDDD
>>
>>78458160
Let me guess, a bunch of pages without context got you mad ?
>>
>>78458629
A lot of people seem to like Mastermen, but the art was too shitty for me.
>>
File: kawaii uguu.png (1 MB, 1005x617) Image search: [Google]
kawaii uguu.png
1 MB, 1005x617
>>78458942
>hating Hitler otou-san
>>
>>78458925
"DEM ESS JAY DUBYAS PUTTING DEM NIGGER FOLK IN MY PRETTY PICTURES"
>>
>Morrison managed to piss of the tumblr feminazis and the anti-SJW /co/mrades with the same comic book
The absolute madman
>>
File: 1427765430065.jpg (43 KB, 307x364) Image search: [Google]
1427765430065.jpg
43 KB, 307x364
>>78460265
he's literally perfect, but don't get this thread deleted too with all of that
>>
>>78460344
>implying mods are awake
>>
File: 1422442243160.png (2 MB, 1024x1412) Image search: [Google]
1422442243160.png
2 MB, 1024x1412
And it would probably help to post this

I think story > continuity is Morrison-y in spirit but he likes to go stronger with it. Rather than completely ignoring the dumb shit, he tries to make it fit in still.
>>
>>78446875
Love Grant Morrison. Is this something that he talks about in his book Supergods? I haven't read it yet.
Also this...
>Grant Morrison is a crazy person who believes that comic books will become real if we believe in them hard enough. This is apparent throughout his own statements and the body of his work itself.
... Very much reminds me of Neil Gaiman's story "Dream of 1000 Cats." One of my favorite comic stories ever. I believe the central conceit of both has been around for a long, long time.

Bring the Hyper Crisis.
>>
>>78461127

I don't recall, but I know the majority of Hypercrisis is the work of /co/. There's nothing really 'official' about it.
>>
>>78460381
His style is "memorable story beats are canon, anything else is not going to be thought about and is therefore irrelevant but let's throw in a couple of references and get some people to wank about it" which is the closest to the way I believe in my heart to be true that exists.
>>
>>78461127
Supergods is more generally autobiographical. I haven't finished yet but it's just kind of fun to get in his head. Not really insightful for hypercrisis stuff as far as I can tell, but you can see things like him talking about the Flash cover that told the fans to read the book and then him using that idea for the Ultra Comics cover.
>>
File: 1347823290116.jpg (52 KB, 476x680) Image search: [Google]
1347823290116.jpg
52 KB, 476x680
Can anyone explain the hypercrises to someone who is both high and stoned.
For instance, >>78460381 which one is the real one?
>>
>>78461766
Thanks Anon, I'm looking forward to reading it. 2 more books ahead of it.
iirc, he talks about how in the Invisibles, when King Mob got sick he himself got sick as well. Which I found to be interesting
>>
I fucking hate meta-context.
>>
>>78462878
the explanation that you've accepted into your heart is the correct one
>>
>>78460265
I can't wait for it to come out.
>>
What's the reading order for Hypercrisis?
>>
>>78460265
Which book is this?
>>
Grant's at his best when writing a more traditional superhero style. Agreed? Agreed.
>>
Got his Animal Man omnibus for christmas. Shit was great.
>>
>>78464305
Wonder Woman: Earth One

He went full on Marston, tumblr wasn't ready for it.
>>
>>78464358
Would you expand on this please?
>>
As someone who loves Morrison, but has only read his Superman and Batman stuff, where should I go from here?
>>
>>78464392
The original creator of Wonder Woman was a bondage fetishist, and it showed in his work.

Grant Morrison honored this legacy with his WW book.
>>
Has anybody read Supergods? We have a couple signed copies at work. Thinking about spening my christmas bonus to grab one.

Is it about his life or his comics? Or both?
>>
>>78464392
Tumblr said that Wonder Woman Earth One was problematic and not for little girls
/co/ got mad that Steve Trevor is a nigga
>>
>>78446875
just more fuel to the dumpster fire that is the New 52 tho personally I hate Hyper Time and the Kingdom for ruining Post-Crisis Post Zero Hour DCU

A unified hyper timeline would have still been preferred to the still directionless New 52.
>>
File: WWE1.png (815 KB, 562x864) Image search: [Google]
WWE1.png
815 KB, 562x864
>>78464392
>>
>>78455573
You missed the point.

"Everything is connected" means that the Hypercrisis builds itself through the interaction between fans. The sinews holding everything together are us.

"Stories are alive" because they change over time, as they're interpreted differently throughout the ages. They grow as they gain new context. They even reproduce by inspiring other stories.

It's all about how fiction, despite being fake abstractions of reality, can influence and change our world just as much as actual events. It's not about literal magic and stoner bullshit, it's a grand thought experiment about how we interact with entire universes that don't even exist.
>>
>>78464418
Calling him a bondage fetishist is an understatement.

Moulton Marston believed that all people should submit to the loving control of another, or lovingly control another. He felt this dom/sub relationship was essential to human happiness and that gender roles had obfuscated this by limiting women to a submissive role and men to the dominant, when naturally women should be the caretakers.

Being bound was a way to submit and put yourself in the care of another whom you love.

He created Wonder Woman because he wanted to influence young boys into accepting submissive roles and girls into accepting dominant roles, and the way to reach kids at the time was through comic books.
>>
File: obamasweat.jpg (6 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
obamasweat.jpg
6 KB, 235x215
>>78464926
>>
>>78464258
More Fun Comics #1
>>
>>78461127
>I believe the central conceit of both has been around for a long, long time.

solipsism is nothing new
>>
>>78454682
>Millar writes better Superman stories

Superman adventures was good, but nowhere near All Star Superman.

Red Son was overrated thrash. Morrison did much better work in Multiversity: Mastermen.
>>
>>78455360
>Borges was into meme magic before it's time
>>
>>78454682
>He should write a story about someone writing a story that develops into a movie. Maybe then his dreams will come true

Annihilator?
>>
>>78454555
what comic is this from?
>>
>>78465063
but if we interact with them, doesn't it mean they exist? as for someone to interact with something that something must be tangible, does this means that the collective has created a world outside of our own throught sheer force of will.... this is some metaphysical shit and I need to be stoned to try to comprehend the magnitude of this meme magic we are doing
>>
>>78466221
Ultra Comics
>>
>>78454041
Ah. I guess I kind of assumed there was story strand I was missing. I actually got that part, and it was pretty damn cool, but hwere it fell a little flat for me was the story itself. Like, what world did Ultra Comics teleport to? (Since there's no cannibal earth in the Multiversity Guidebook). If Earth-33 is supposed to be our Earht, how can Ultra Comics exist there? And how come at the beginning Ultra Comics has a bleeding eye, and still has the stone in his head?
>>
File: omgyaygirl.jpg (7 KB, 194x200) Image search: [Google]
omgyaygirl.jpg
7 KB, 194x200
>>78465151
>Being bound was a way to submit and put yourself in the care of another whom you love.
Sounds like mah nigga.
>>
>>78466465
the cannibal world wasn't our world. It was a fictional setup in the real world, so that the gentry could infect our mind through fiction, and later revealed as a honey pot to trap Gentry inside.
>>
>>78466558
So, we actually managed to beat the Gentry? Nice.
>>
So when are we getting more multiverse shenanigans? I really want to see more stories about other earths.

I mean, Multiversity Too is coming, but that's going to be a story about how a Flash keeps getting faster and faster. That doesn't really involve other worlds.
>>
>>78466465
>If Earth-33 is supposed to be our Earht, how can Ultra Comics exist there?
Because Ultra Comics is the comic itself.
>>
>>78466585
Yeah, but it's also a psychic manifestation, right? I mean it can go around and interact with stuff.
>>
>>78466577
No, Ultra comic failed to defeat it. So finally it closed itself to avoid the Gentry spreading into our world and contaminating our mind further.
>>
>>78466603
Ah. I thought trapping it inside the comic was the plan all along.
>>
>>78466614
Converting it to text and subjecting it to criticism was the original plan.
>>
>>78446875
No, what Grant Morrison believes is that comic universes exist. Which they do, because we all know who Batman and Superman are, who their friends and enemies are and where they live and what they do. They do exist. It's not just same type of existance.
>>
>>78466204

Yep. Then you can have a movie about a person writing a (comic) book.
>>
>>78464416
JLA, Flex Mentallo, Seven Soldiers
>>
>>78464803
He talks about comics but it's more about how they made him felt as he talks about his life. Kind of a guy shooting the shit rather than hard literary analysis of each era.
>>
>>78446875

His Nameless was shit
>>
File: aku face 6.jpg (15 KB, 449x319) Image search: [Google]
aku face 6.jpg
15 KB, 449x319
>>78446875
I want to get into Multiversitty.

What should I read before?
>>
File: aku face 3.jpg (108 KB, 485x359) Image search: [Google]
aku face 3.jpg
108 KB, 485x359
>>78468522
Is there a chart or something? A recomendation chart on how to read Multiversity would be great.
>>
>>78468539
You can read Multiversity on its own.

For further context read Crisis on Infinite Earths and Final Crisis first.
>>
File: Ultra Comics.jpg (225 KB, 836x836) Image search: [Google]
Ultra Comics.jpg
225 KB, 836x836
>>78468593

Shouldnt I read Ultra Comics first? For what I have seem, seems to be pretty important.
>>
>>78468593
Flash of Two Worlds might also help
>>
>>78468635
Ultra is part of Multiversity. You need to read the individual issues in release order

SOS
The Just
Pax
Thunderworld
Multiversity Guidebook
Mastermen
Ultra
>>
>>78465239
Would either story really count as solipsism since both stories require many minds to achieve a dream?
>>
File: HAMstervil.jpg (10 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
HAMstervil.jpg
10 KB, 210x240
>>78466630
But we are CRITICIZING IT NOW!
>>
>>78470984
The ultimate villain is just a big egg? Lame
>>
>>78472296
Don't forget the EVIL BATWINGS!
>>
>>78465164
Every comic book ever written, every religious and spirtual text known to man, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, The Return of the King, The Ontario Phonebook Circa 1982, the middle 52 pages of a thesaurus, your Great Grandmother's diary, and staggering amount of drugs should get you about caught up.
>>
File: 1427347527700.jpg (350 KB, 1799x725) Image search: [Google]
1427347527700.jpg
350 KB, 1799x725
this was the best panel though
>>
>>78473934

The part where you realize that Intellectron is speaking through his speech bubbles was fucking spooky.
>>
>>78460265
Huh. Last time I enjoyed a comic that pissed off both sides was Millar's Ultimates and Ultimates 2. I guess I'll give that a look.
>>
>>78473934

TURN THE PAGE DO IT SLAVE
>>
>>78464416
The Invisibles is probably the quintessential Grant for me.
>>
Wow, so comics have finally caught up to the moderns and a new literature can finally be born!

Oh wait

>>78473934
>>78468635
>>78460381
>>78455974
>>78454555
is a bunch of fucking puerile trash for people who don't read books

Look, people think House of Leaves and Infinite Jest are fucking stupid because most of the time it really is super tryhard, but Grant isn't even trying that hard. He has to do way better if he thinks he's a successor to any of the great English graphic writers.
>>
>>78464840
we did?

why? Steve Trevor as a nigger makes the whole BDSM much more spicy imo. Morrison is a pretty cool guy, eh gives a post-feminist, pro-bdsm wonder woman and doesnt afraid of anything. Because regardless of how you feel about the BDSM undertones, the whole thing is just feminist as fuck, just not PC for the tumblr whales.
>>
>>78475018
It's not meant to be revolutionary at a literary level. It's mostly that Grant has tricked us into making the hypercrisis real through these threads and continued discussion.
>>
>>78475047
Hypercrisis is a fucking marketing scheme that plays off your intellectual insecurity. That's the whole point. You gobble this shit? Really?
>>
>>78475047
>It's not meant to be revolutionary at a literary level.

Except Grant has been playing that card for so long it's basically his MO
>>
>>78475186
Nah, hypercrisis is a self-perpetuating meme due to /co/'s apophenia.

>>78475215
Exactly my point. He's just writing what he wants to write. It's not really meant to be more than that. If anything he's been talking to us with all the "be careful what you let into your head" stuff. Hell Multiversity itself, multiple times, highlighted how dissection is harmful.
>>
>>78475018
>is a bunch of fucking puerile trash for people who don't read books

I'm not sure you read books either
>>
>>78475279

I remember /co/ freaking the fuck out over Multiversity #1 where it sets up the idea that since the end of the Monitors after Final Crisis, the readers and comic fans are the new Monitors, the Judges of All Evil. And then at the end of the issue Nix falls to the Gentry.

It is us. We let the Gentry win.
>>
File: THE THING.png (85 KB, 490x2316) Image search: [Google]
THE THING.png
85 KB, 490x2316
>>78475018
>huuuur he read a comic
>This means that he don't read comics.

Stop being a fag, you are not impressing.

I don't almost died of boredon this year, from reading hundreds of bushits about post post-modernist anthropologic theory, to see an autistic from /lit/ trying to act superior.

You are on a fucking board about comics. If you dont like discussion about comics, eat a dick and leave.
>>
>>78475697
>that comic

Fucking hell I hate it when that happens.

>small thread about things we enjoyed about something
>some fucker always has to ruin it by bitching about people enjoying something
>people in the thread insecure enough about their enjoyment of thing that they have to take the bait
>this is why we can't have nice things
>>
>>78475573
>spoiler

#2 merely cemented that idea, it's all our fault
>>
>>78475018
Go away Alan.
>>
>>78475573

I also love the warning not to skip to the end. Of course it's all over, you just reached the end of the comic.
>>
>>78475018
>>78475186
Gentry pls.
>>
>>78476175
I guess that one doesn't work as well in the collection since the end of the issue is sad but the end of the whole thing is happy.
>>
>>78464840

No, it was one review form Goodreads. The 4 other reviews were positive.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.