[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IMDb has this rated as an 8.7/10 series. Would you rate it as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13
IMDb has this rated as an 8.7/10 series.

Would you rate it as such, /co/?
>>
It gets a lot of flak because it's compared to The Last Airbender

Personally I think the main problem was that they didn't know from the start how many seasons they'd get. Aside from that, it was a very good cartoon in comparison to everything else out there
>>
>>78442484
I agree with this.
>>
I finished the season earlier this year coming out of TLA, I was very surprised how they wrapped up by the first season and didn't know there were writing issues. Given the writers had more time to plan a story with multiple seasons I reckon they would've went for something a bit more like Airbender, an Ozai of their own for the series finale.
>>
>>78442450
Yes. 100%
>>
>>78442516
I think after season one they got approval for three more seasons

Then instead of using the Red Lotus plotline to make them into a secretive underworld organization behind Amon plotting to overthrow Avatar Aang's order they just had a different bad guy each season

The only thing they really did right during the second, third and fourth seasons was that the events of the previous season generally enabled the events of the next season. First season didn't really have an influence on the other three and was disconnected.
>>
>>78442450
5/10, boring as shit and anything that was interesting was thrown aside for romance drama. Cool concepts were more or less ignored and the villains motivations were 'MUH FAMILY ISSUES'. Also, how in the fuck was Suyin a great character and how in the hell was I ever going to root for an asshole like her?
>>
A high 6 out of 10 at best.
>>
Had Nickelodeon not fuck with them all the time and had they known they would've gotten 4 seasons from the start, we could have had a single continuous story. I really like Amon as a villain and hope the series revolved around the whole benders vs non-benders thing which I believe was a legit conflict that is not solved within 11 episodes in a satisfying way. I'm not sure you can make 4 seasons out of that though, maybe 3. Then again, I also liked Zaheer and his crew...

For what it is, it's good enough 7/10. For comparison, The Last Airbender was a 9/10 for me.
>>
Any other cartoons like those?
>>
it redeemed itself when she was turned into a carpetmuncher after being a naive cumguzzler.
>>
7/10

TLA was 10/10 for me.
>>
File: 1445358858912.png (377 KB, 615x800) Image search: [Google]
1445358858912.png
377 KB, 615x800
Needs more cougars.
>>
File: butt stuff.png (63 KB, 181x280) Image search: [Google]
butt stuff.png
63 KB, 181x280
Let's rate every season out of 25.
1: 3/25, bad reveal, bad ending
2: 1/25 bad beginning, bad writing, bad villain, bad ending
3: 20/25 Good villain, good writing, good ending
4: 10/25 meh beginning, meh villain, meh ending

34/100 or 17/50
>>
>>78442900
So... 3.4 out of 10? Ouch.
>>
>>78442900
>3: 20/25 Good villain, good writing, good ending

People need to stop thinking season 3 was good writing. It was a good season, which wasn't a big hurdle to overcome given the other seasons.

The entirety of the writing of three was all tell and no show. A big no no in writing.

"Zaheer has airbending powers! Oh No!"

Alright I'm on board, this guy sounds badass, who is this zaheer guy that he was so feared even before he got his airbending powers?

Beats me, we're never fucking shown. He commands an armless girl with extraordinary water bending powers, a man who can create lava and a woman who's ability is so unique it's only ever seen once before.

How was a man who had zero bending abilities able to get them under his command? What did he do? We don't know, we're never shown.

oh no wait, we are told at one point

"Thanks for saving me from those slavers, I love you" Wow, glad we're told and didn't see any of this ever happening.

the whole season was all tell and no show.
>>
>>78442450
Depends if you do it relative to American action cartoon shows, American cartoon shows, action cartoon shows in general, or as an absolute.
As an American action cartoon show, I guess. In absolute, no way.
>>
>>78442900
Season 2 was the only time Varrick was a good character though.
>>
I can't in all honesty give it higher than a 6/10

And that's being generous and forgiving.
>>
File: korraOTP.jpg (59 KB, 500x561) Image search: [Google]
korraOTP.jpg
59 KB, 500x561
>>78442693

see i feel the same.

the problems all started from the begining. If they planned everything out..it would have been an improvement....probably not as good as Avatar since they wouldn't have Dave Filoni and the other writers but it'd be less contained each season.
>>
>>78442484
Given that they produced seasons 3 & 4 at the same time the problem can't be solely due to not knowing how many seasons they'd have.

I'd say it was due to Korra's personality, Korra being too strong, weak antagonists, and too many secondary characters.
>>
>>78442992
That's all of Avatar though, they always throw concepts at you and never reveal their origin/purpose until the end of the episode/sometimes season.

You're right though, we truly never learn anything about Zaheer, all we really get is his explanation of the Red Lotus, no backstory about him and his crew other than "they tried to kidnap Korra when she was a baby." Shit, Amon's dad got more backstory and he wasn't even fucking alive in the story's present.
>>
>>78442992
Yeah. They could have at least shown us a flashback of how Zuko and crew defeated and imprisoned them
>>
File: 1410855830588.jpg (77 KB, 555x526) Image search: [Google]
1410855830588.jpg
77 KB, 555x526
>>78442484
>It gets a lot of flak because it's compared to The Last Airbender
>Aside from that, it was a very good cartoon in comparison to everything else out there

So basically
>it should stand on its own merits
>but it is good in comparison to most cartoons

?
>>
What we got was a solid 6/10, Nothing more.

I wasn't even comparing this to the Last Air Bender when I watched this. I was watching this for what this show brought to the table on its own accord. Even with the crew not knowing how many seasons they'd get they still screwed up in ways that were unimaginable to begin with.

A disappointment like no other.
>>
File: deaddog.png (320 KB, 1006x680) Image search: [Google]
deaddog.png
320 KB, 1006x680
You can't rate this series entirely you can only rate it by Season.

Season 1 was 6.5/10. Too much emphasis on Pro Bending something that got forgotten about in Book 3. I love Asami and her having a fun little relationship with Mako was fine. Korra blue balling her (TWICE) shows this fucking show just threw ideas on the board without thinking about the consequences

Book 2 is a fucking 4/10. The Mako/Asami subplot looking for Triad working for Varrick was more interesting than whatever bullshit Vaatu and Unalaq were planning and the ending with Giant Korra vs Giant Unalaq was beyond shit. They deserved to have their shit show moved off TV onto the Nickelodeon Website

Book 3 was a 7/10. However, this was the point where Asami did fucking absolutely nothing. Actually if anything, this whole season was just about Korra doing things with the side plot being about fucking Jinora. The entire team felt incredibly tacked on. The only interesting point they could have had is if Asami let loose all her vile and hatred on the blimp ride to Ba Sing Se or her killing Varrick since I find it laughably unbelievable she didn't have any intense burning desire to kill him since he tried to suck every penny of her fortune dry.

Book 4 is a 5/10. This is being incredibly generous. It always seemed the even numbered seasons were somehow the worst written ones. Kuriva is straight up "Yeah this series isn't about the villain its about the character interactions." Also the Red Lotus is a fucking joke that jobbed to the nation of Zaofu thanks to VARRICK SAVING THE DAY again further trivializing Asami and retconning everything her father did in Book 1 while he was completely in the right.
>>
The one thing that bothered me was season 2 when Mako went to jail and no one believed he was innocent. That showed just what kind of hacks the writers were
>>
File: Choker.png (451 KB, 512x608) Image search: [Google]
Choker.png
451 KB, 512x608
>>78445697

There is more too it then that. We were expecting Varrick to be feigning stupidity kind of like how Moriarty did in "Sherlock"

We were expecting him to be this cold calculating sociopath who had the police force in the palm of his hand for him to be the perfect foil for Asami

Nope. RCPD just hires really shitty cops and the only ones who do any real work are Mako and Lin. and Varrick is just a manchild equivalent of Tony Stark right down to fucking his secretary
>>
>>78442992
>Beats me, we're never fucking shown. He commands an armless girl with extraordinary water bending powers, a man who can create lava and a woman who's ability is so unique it's only ever seen once before.
>How was a man who had zero bending abilities able to get them under his command? What did he do? We don't know, we're never shown.

What are you expecting, a birth scene where pops out of his mom's vagina? Preschool at Red Lotus Academy? They're villains and their motives made sense.

If anything Zaheer was even MORE powerful because he commanded a squad of ridiculous benders by will, guile, and charisma.
>>
>>78445306
I was about to point this out. What would be the point of saying you can't point out the quality of a subject relative to another example, only to point out its quality relatively anyway? Perhaps he's just saying that it's average in a dumb way.
>>
>>78445519
>>78445793
Didn't you get the message yesterday when everyone was telling you to fuck off?
>>
>Nick's the bad guy! Bryke are innocent!
Holy fuck, /co/, get your shit together. I thought LOK was garbage/
>>
File: Broom Closet.png (688 KB, 593x768) Image search: [Google]
Broom Closet.png
688 KB, 593x768
>>78446148

They're both equally responsible. I'm in firm belief that Bryke just fucking said "To hell with this lets just throw a bunch of fan pandering in the other half of Season 4 and call it a day."

Nick however is responsible for the other 2/3 of damage it did to this IP.
>>
>>78442450
5.4/10
>>
>>78446148
>I thought LOK was garbage/

You are entitled to your opinions, no matter how wrong they might be.
>>
File: feels_so_nice_peridot.png (160 KB, 800x707) Image search: [Google]
feels_so_nice_peridot.png
160 KB, 800x707
>>78442450
3/5
>>
>>78446148
>I thought LOK was garbage/
Yes, you're clearly the only person with this opinion
>>78442450
>thinly veiled "everyone go to this website and rate this show lower" thread
>>
File: 1440097492240.jpg (316 KB, 640x952) Image search: [Google]
1440097492240.jpg
316 KB, 640x952
>>78442450
>tlok: 7/10
>korra as a character: 5/10
>korra's body: 10/10
>>
>>78444536
Yeah, this. I want to like Korra and say it's not as bad as people make it out to be but honestly it's mediocre at best. Even it's best Book (3) had a lot of problems, especially the first half.
>>
Korra gets a lot of shit but i preferred her growth as a character much more than Aangs.

Out of 10
S1-8 S2-7 S3-10 S4-9

Season 2 focused way too much on the boring ass civil war that no one cared about but got really good by the end and Season 1 kind of threw away some of it's better scenes. S4 was mostly good but understandably felt a bit rushed. S3 is my favorite season of any of the shows.
>>
I'd rate it a 10/10 series.
>>
>>78442450
5/7
>>
>>78442484
>It was a very good cartoon in comparison to everything else out there
no.

>>78442604
>>78444536
reasonable.
>>78445987
pretty much average outside of art, animation, and the amount of unfulfilled/contradictory concepts thrown in
>>78446861
>her growth
kek

"nihilistic satire" < makes the show more understandable in that regard
>>
>>78446861
What growth? She was the same hard headed, I'm right, you're wrong, character from beginning to end
>>
File: 1400958434577.jpg (205 KB, 780x795) Image search: [Google]
1400958434577.jpg
205 KB, 780x795
>>78442450
Season 1: 9
Season 2: 1.5
Season 3: 7
Season 4: 7.5
>>
File: george lucas laughs.jpg (184 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
george lucas laughs.jpg
184 KB, 500x370
>>78447378

poetry.

shame it wasn't intentional because if it had been, it would have been genius.
>>
>>78447378
>Bolin
>popular
>Asami
>main character

plz
>>
I'd rate it a 7.8, but I can see why a normalfag with low expectations of cartoons might rate it higher.
>>
>>78446148
You fell for the meme
>>
File: 1450855561604.png (2 MB, 956x1375) Image search: [Google]
1450855561604.png
2 MB, 956x1375
>>78447660
We did it /tv/, we saved memes
>>
>>78442450
I would give it an 8.Love triangles and season 2 keep the show from reaching its full potential.
>>
>>78450781
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dnSORl9_oI
>>
The biggest problem I have with LOK is everything felt rushed and crammed together probably because Korra had fewer episodes per season than Last Airbender
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.