[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will DC finally reprint Emerald Twilight? Jesus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11
When will DC finally reprint Emerald Twilight? Jesus
>>
I think they'd prefer that people forget about it, so probably never
>>
>>78429625
good.
>>
>>78429643
Geoff don't you have toys to play with or cashiers to harass
>>
It can't be that bad guys.
>>
>>78430285
It is an EXTREMELY abrupt change from the Death and Reign and Return of Superman Hal Jordan, but it's a change I can live with. Hal becoming a villain was handled really well in some books and quite poorly in others, but as a whole is a very interesting idea. It's just frequently more interesting to think and to talk about than it is to read it.
>>
Him going insane was very fucking human.
The fact he had to live with what he did and had to hold that shit to his chest until fear bug was amazing.
I hope they have the current parallax just be Hal
>>
When the second GL movie comes out in 2022, it will be loosely based on the comic and force dc to reprint it like what's happening today with Ostrander's Suicide Squad
>>
>>78429716
Oh wow, great meme posting dude. I want to upvote you but I can't find the button :(
>>
>>78430552
It's a very human thing to do, just not in line with what Hal himself was doing. 47 had him going through a roller coaster of emotion when he found out Carol was kidnapped by her father who was also a robot or something and at the end he basically just told Green Arrow that as long as Carol and Pie were okay, he didn't really give too much of a shit about Coast City. Next Issue has him in a crater crying his eyes out then going through the slippery slope of "I NEED MORE POWER"
>>
>>78430285
depends on what you mean by "bad"

it was written okay and Hal's turn to a villain is probably the best you're ever going to get from big 2 cape stuff, but it was an extremely sudden personality change going from Jones into Marz and it shit all over Hal's character for the next couple years
>>
>>78430682
Don't forget him having that massive slugout with Mongul and the Cyborg Superman featuring Mullet Superman in the black outfit in the ruins of Coast City
>>
>>78430682
Denial is a stage of grief.
Also Hal has always been a prideful.
>>
>>78430552
It really wasn't, and it was out of character if you were reading green lantern before it. It was a rushed hack job and the story is remembered and discussed because it's "iconic"
>>
Does kinda suck having to buy used copies of the trade for more than the MSRP on the book itself.
Regardless of what people may say, I like ET and New Dawn.
>>
>>78430285
Oh, but it is. Most people will jump on your head and just call you a stupid halfag or something but I wish the hypocrites would stop for a second and think: what if it were your favorite character? how would you feel?
>>
Did Hal do anything interesting as Parallax? What evil schemes would he try?
>>
>>78430800
Seriously, fuck those people. Hopefully with Parallax coming back in this volume in issues 47-48 they reprint it.
>>
>>78430971
Normally he just time travels a bunch and then complains when people try to stop him but does whatever he wants anyway. The biggest thing with him is that you're never quite sure where he is on his personal timeline.
>>
>>78430971
He tried to rewrite time so he could fix everything. When that didn't work out he just went on a manhunt for Hank Henshaw to murder the shit out of him then went and reignited a sun.

>>78430998
I'm really hopeful that Venditti uses Parallax Hal to his full potential. What little we've seen so far looks promising but I really hope he doesn't fall on his ass.
>>
>>78430971
He wanted to rewrite the multiverse but his shitty friends stopped him because "playing god" is "wroooong"

then he tried a couple times to get his GL ring back and that didn't work and then he didn't know what to do so when a sun eater started eating the sun he fixed the earth, reignited the sun and killed himself
>>
File: 51ac54e252ea3aae1047ec745fdc7345.jpg (923 KB, 2350x1200) Image search: [Google]
51ac54e252ea3aae1047ec745fdc7345.jpg
923 KB, 2350x1200
>>78431143
Yeah but first he cried a bunch
>>
>>78431081
He was one of the few parts of convergence that I liked. I also love Zero Hour #1s last page where he wants into entropy
>>
File: emeraldtwilight.jpg (45 KB, 625x645) Image search: [Google]
emeraldtwilight.jpg
45 KB, 625x645
>>78430552
A person who's already on edge or in a desperate situation going off the deep end is very human.

What happened in Emerald Twilight is that Hal's town was leveled but no one he actually knew or cared about was home at the time, they were all out of town and perfectly safe. So he makes a big hologram of town to reminisce in and visits only his ex-girlfriend from high school and his dad who, y'know, died as a kid in his origin story.

Then the Guardians go "you're not allowed to use the ring for shit that isn't fighting badguys! Report to Oa to be spanked!" And keep in mind that yes, the Guardians have always been dicks even before Johns made them villains, but there's never been a dumb rule like that before, otherwise they'd have confiscated Guy Gardner's ring a LONG time ago for something stupid like how he makes himself popcorn and beer all the time.

And all of a sudden, based on nothing but that alone, Hal decides "Oh I'll come to Oa alright! To kill everybody!"

There's literally no transition, it's not gradual at all, he just goes "fight me over nothing will you? Well I'm gonna make the entire corps suffocate in space and burn the flesh off Kilowog's bones!"

And the Guardians, rather than even try to stop him, just shrug their shoulders and commit suicide.

Seriously.

This entire story happens over the course of THREE issues.

The only reasons anybody has EVER liked this pile of shit are because A) the IDEA of a good guy going bad is fascinating and they don't care how it was executed, and B) the last 3 issues of the trade are Rayner's origin "New Dawn", and that half actually doesn't suck.
>>
>>78431245
>A person who's already on edge or in a desperate situation going off the deep end is very human.
Hal's life had been a shitty cycle of misery long before ET and it's frankly not a surprise that he'd snap and have a breakdown at some point, but the extent of it and execution of ET just wasn't right
>>
>>78431245
Yeah, his actual fall is a rushed hackjob, but the aftermath is pretty cool
also the fucking outfit is the bomb diggety
>>
File: b6a3519c4df410e152cdb20c0f2c0650.jpg (180 KB, 1000x1516) Image search: [Google]
b6a3519c4df410e152cdb20c0f2c0650.jpg
180 KB, 1000x1516
I mean really
what could possibly be better than massive pauldrons and skintight thighhigh boots
>>
File: Kyle_parallax.jpg (37 KB, 300x466) Image search: [Google]
Kyle_parallax.jpg
37 KB, 300x466
>>78431338
Oh hell yeah, the costume is awesome.

I'm just saying, I just think the path to wearing that costume was hot garbage and the fear bug actually improves it by admitting "yes, these actions didn't make sense, it had to have been coersion by an outside force"

Plus it led to Kyle wearing the costume and looking just as fucking rad.
>>
File: GU0v9IA.jpg (344 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
GU0v9IA.jpg
344 KB, 1000x1537
>>78431081
>I'm really hopeful that Venditti uses Parallax Hal to his full potential. What little we've seen so far looks promising but I really hope he doesn't fall on his ass.
I try not to get my hopes up when it comes to Venditti because nothing I want to happen ever happens but I am interested in what he does with Parallax
>>
File: parallaxsinestro.jpg (3 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
parallaxsinestro.jpg
3 MB, 1920x2951
>>78431401
>Plus it led to Kyle wearing the costume and looking just as fucking rad.
it also lead to delicious golden Smugnestro
>>
This era of DC in general is collected fairly poorly. They've started getting a little more out there though, Some Tim Drake, Cass Cain, and PAD Supergirl trades are coming. Would guess they get to GL eventually.
>>
>>78431401
That's not the same costume at all. I mean it's pretty close, but it's got Fallout New Vegas knees and some other choice details.
I prefer to ignore the actual execution of the fall as hot garbage and pretend that it actually made sense, while also thinking that the fear bug thing was a retcon (by Hal, in universe). This way, when Parallax meets Smugnestro, he can lay the smackdown.
>>78431445
At least the outfit is still sexy. I like how they're really trying to make him look like an old man to contrast against New52 Hal.
>>
>>78431481
Oh god yes. I can't believe Johns made us wait all the way until his last issue to do that one.
>>
>>78431523
>That's not the same costume at all. I mean it's pretty close, but it's got Fallout New Vegas knees and some other choice details.

It's intended to be a mashup of Halallax and Kyle's awesome original GL uniform with the white chest.
>>
>>78431523
>At least the outfit is still sexy. I like how they're really trying to make him look like an old man to contrast against New52 Hal.
He doesn't look older to me, just... bigger plus there's the white temples

which is annoying because Tan draws Hal so skinny anyway, he COULD be drawing him bigger he just isn't!
>>
>>78431559
Maybe I'm seeing his poorly drawn face as slightly wrinkly or otherwise old somehow
Seriously, what is up with that face, it looks like the inker just gave up and scribbled on it
>>
>>78431606
>Seriously, what is up with that face

Billy Tan drew it
>>
>>78431507
Why is that? Any particular reason?
>>
>>78432171
My guess is that there were a lot of replacement heroes in the 90s and now most of the replacements are gone/pushed aside and DC wants to keep pushing the originals instead

they collected a lot of "classic" 90s stuff like the big Batman storylines, DAROS, Starman, etc. already but they've only recently started collecting things like Dixon's stuff (Nightwing/Robin/BOP) or Cass Batgirl

There's a couple trades of Marz GL out there that I think are out of print but since unfortunately Green Lantern is not as marketable as Batman and Batman accessories they don't have as much incentive to collect/reprint 90s GL (whether it's Jones or Marz)
>>
>>78432407
I see. I guess liking 90s DC has always been suffering
>>
>>78432171
>>78432407
Yeah I think whether or not it can be considered a guaranteed seller does have a lot to do with it. A combination of both character and creator popularity too (seen most obviously with Flash: Morrison/Millar and Johns stuff has been reprinted recently but no WML or Waid).
>>
>>78432534
I think Waid is still a pretty big name and his Flash material would probably sell, but Waid is still super pissy at DC so they don't want to give him money and they don't want people to have TOO many reminders that Wally used to be the main Flash
>>
>>78432407
So...they didn't collect the mediocre stuff?
>>
>>78432620
yeah basically, they chose not to collect some middling 90 issue runs that people hail as the best things ever because of nostalgia for some reason
>>
>>78432407
There are a few Gerard Jones era GL trades floating around. I think it's just the first 15 or so issues. I don't think they did Mosaic though.
>>
>>78432804
I've only seen one Jones trade and it's long out of print

and yeah they never did Mosiac
>>
>>78431190
oh man
that look in hals eyes when you want to change the past
i know that feel
>>
>>78431627
Weird, he absolutely nailed the rest of the outfit
>>78433210
You never had the power to do it anon
He does
>>
>>78433259
>Weird, he absolutely nailed the rest of the outfit
He got the outfit right but he just can't draw a good Hal in general

which is really fucking grating considering he's been the main GL artist for almost 30 goddamn issue
>>
>>78431481
Jons GL is the thing i think about, when the issue comes up.
>>
They've reprinted Emerald Twilight. TWICE.

It's not fucking hard to find. The first printing (just #48-50) can be found dirt cheap.

The second TPB (which is #48-50 PLUS #51-55 and #0) might cost you a little more, since it was the hypothetical first volume of a planned Kyle Rayner TPB series, which never got off the ground due to volume not getting the unrealistic sales DC requires for all trade series to get a second volume.
>>
>>78431245
I think the ironic thing, is that Hal as Parallax was a good starting point for a relaunch of the franchise. Basically make Green Lantern the Marvel version of Magneto and have him out doing edgy shit and all of the stuff Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman won't do.

They could have bumped Green Lantern up to a direct market book status (meaning costing $1.75/$2.00) and gone to town with the grim dark. Meanwhile, they could have had Jon (elevated to Guardian status at the end of GL Mosiac) rebuild the Corps and Guy getting the green ring again and being Earth's GL.
>>
>>78429589
>When will DC finally reprint Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus
>>
>>78432171
The chief reason is royalties.

Basically DC has to pay set in stone royalties if they reprint ANYTHING between 1976 and 1998.

It's why Suicide Squad kept getting fucked over, why the Showcase Presents line has had so many cancelled volumes and series that flaked out, and why a lot of shit has not been reprinted extensively from the 80s and 90s.

Vintage Green Lantern, ironically, has always been a top seller. But DC is super stingy over royalties from anything from this era; if it is not going to sell huge, they won't touch it.
>>
>>78433742
>Vintage Green Lantern, ironically, has always been a top seller
Is that why they reprint Silver Age GL and GL/GA so much but refuse to go any farther? jeez
>>
>>78431481
This book is such shit I honestly don't understand how anyone likes this.
>>
>>78432563
Problem with Waid, is that his run started blandly, then had a brief spike with Return of Barry Allen, then more blah until after Zero Hour, when the one-two punch of Impulse debuting and Terminal Velocity making the book must read. And even then, it went downhill as Waid killed off the Rogues "because they were stupid ass Silver Age crap" (Waid loved everything Silver Age EXCEPT Flash and his villains) and systematically replaced Flash's entire rogue gallery with psychopathic murderers.
>>
>>78433554
Im not against buying used copies. Preferably, I would like a new copy. It's not easy to find at a good price on amazon that isnt jacked as shit. And with the material in the current GL and Convergence it would make senses to run it. The last tpb was in 2003.
>>
>>78431445
>>78431481
Do you think we'll get parallax Hal meeting Smugnestro anytime soon?
>>
File: Guys toy line.jpg (320 KB, 1024x1504) Image search: [Google]
Guys toy line.jpg
320 KB, 1024x1504
>>78433665
>Lets have Guy be part alien and get powers from this
>What kinda powers?
>He can make his arms turn into GUNS

Guy becoming Warrior is such a retarded idea I have no idea how it turned out so good.
>>
>>78433875
Because they realized pretty soon the idea was retarded as fuck so rather than go into grimdark overedge that 90s EXTREME was pushing, they made it just as self-aware and campy as Lobo.
>>
File: gl47.jpg (2 MB, 994x4584) Image search: [Google]
gl47.jpg
2 MB, 994x4584
>>78433868
I can't imagine them NOT meeting, especially since ParaHal's intro was killing Sinestro Corps guys

but I'm sure Venditti and Bunn could find a way to waste the potential, they're good at that
>>
>>78433963
Wait, did Sinestro give up Parallax?

ParaHal and ParaSinestro meeting would be GOAT
>>
>>78433779
Green Lantern hit the royalties ceiling. Basically ANYTHING after the Flash back-up period (1972-1976) would cost DC more to reprint.

Granted, they've made some efforts. #173-200 were reprinted, though several issues were omitted (due to the issues featuring partial reprints of older stories, which they did not want to pay for even though the framing pages were critical for advancing several major stories in Green Lantern.

The classic Bronze age GLC back-ups were reprinted in two volumes plus the 1983 GLC mini and Green Lantern Corps #201-206, both Emerald Dawn minis, and the first 9 issues of the 1989 GL relaunch by Gerald Jones.

A new trade was announced for 2016 (GL/GA V3) that is SUPPOSED TO continue with the 1976 relaunch but the solicitations for it are horrifying to say the least, in that the third volume is skipping huge chunks of issues in order to only reprint the issue from the post #90 onward Silver Age series onward range, that Green Arrow guest starred in.
>>
>>78434087
>Wait, did Sinestro give up Parallax?
yeah he fused it to the center of New Korugar to keep it from blowing up or something along those lines

I don't think anybody knows he did it except Bekka though
>>
>>78434128
>in that the third volume is skipping huge chunks of issues in order to only reprint the issue from the post #90 onward Silver Age series onward range, that Green Arrow guest starred in.
I thought it was maybe skipping stuff that O'Neil didn't write, are they really just skipping issues Ollie wasn't it? yikes
>>
>>78434162
Yeah I thought he did something like that.

It's a shame cos I would have loved to see ParaHal's reaction to Sinestro with Parallax
>>
>>78434203
>ParaHal's reaction to Sinestro with Parallax
He's probably going to be pretty confused by the Fearbug anyway
>>
>>78433742

Also in terms of the era itself trades were not a priority past a miniseries and maybe the popular stuff. Trades were about selling complete stories vs volumes ones. In the last ten years or so however TPB became the favorite way to buy because of the indie lines, manga, and maybe Marvel pusing Ultimate series trades. I remember when us comics had one shelf in most bookstores. Not a case a shelf. If things were how they are now we would have seen a lot more of this stuff collected.
>>
>>78433817
Personally, I agree with Waid. The rogues are antiquated and lame.
>>
>>78430971
He once absorbed the power of the Silver Surfer and tried to fight Thanos.
>>
>>78433875
>this offer only good for residents of coast city
>>
Yes, let's reprint a book that completely fucked up a character's direction for years and caused fans to send death threats.
>>
>>78433707
I can only imagine it didn't sell well enough. No other reason would make sense to me.
>>
>>78434554
Not every vilain has to be a sociopathic serial killer or wants to rule the world.
>>
File: parallax thanos.png (252 KB, 500x229) Image search: [Google]
parallax thanos.png
252 KB, 500x229
>>78434560
>>
>>78434188
Doesn't surprise me, right now Green Arrow is more popular than Green Lantern.
>>
>>78434554
You bring up a few good points, you're just wrong.
>>
>>78434560
>tried
They were pretty equal.
>>
>>78436572
Ill take things not true for 100. Even though it sucked Green Lantern is movie material not like Arrow.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.