[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Clevaland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Cleveland_Brown.png (45 KB, 223x363) Image search: [Google]
Cleveland_Brown.png
45 KB, 223x363
How did he get a spin-off in the first place?
>>
>>78429411
He was black
>>
>>78429411

By not being a rapist

Next Question
>>
>>78429411
Easy, they barely did anything thing with him, so they just said fuck it, and gave him his own thing.

I cant remember one noteworthy thing he did before the cleveland show.
>>
>>78429411
because he had no quirks that only work for a side character

he was a fully functional and capable family guy character

any other character would have some sort of edge to it that the show would have to completely focus on every time they were in a scene

quagmire's a rapist and joe's a handicapped psychopath
they'd either have to go into a real 18+ show or an action show that would just be a shitty character than Stan Smith in a wheelchair

the most unique thing about him is he's the black friend. he's simple enough to work as the face of the main character. when you see his group of friends in the spin-off, it sticks out even more how regular he really is.

I mean really, I can't think of anyone else who could be spun off and maintain at least the bare minimum level needed to make a safe comedy tv show for fox.
>>
>>78429475
That never stopped Clarence
>>
>>78429411
He was one of the few people in Quahog who you could actually call a good person. Plus, he'd only had like, 3 episodes prior to being spun-off where he was central to the plot (Fore Father, The Cleveland Loretta-Quagmire, Love Blactually) so aside from the occasional tidbit we'd find out about him here and there (Like the fact that he has a brother named Broderick or that he ran his own Deli), he was more or less a blank slate, which the pilot episode of The Cleveland Show touches upon somewhat when Cleveland mentions his ties to Joe Torre and Peter being surprised that he'd never mentioned it before.

>See, this is exactly why I'm leaving! Nobody ever asks about what Cleveland's got going on, but if Peter wants to start a new A-Team or overthrow a British pub or recreate all the whole damn Star Wars movies, I'm expected to jump on board, no questions asked!

With Cleveland and Loretta separated, the only other thing he had was his son whom we barely saw, Cleveland Junior. So aging him up a bit to make room for Rallo as the new little kid made sense from the standpoint of giving the audience a completely new set of characters that they hadn't seen before other than Cleveland himself. It was easy to come up with the whole backstory of him and Donna during their high school days in Stoolbend because we knew little about Cleveland prior to his being with Loretta that would contradict that.

You couldn't do that with Joe because we're already well aware of his backstory and we had already met his family, and as for Quagmire... well, they outright had Peter say it to his face in the first season finale of The Cleveland Show.

>Quagmire: "Now can I have my own show, Peter?"
>Peter: "Quagmire, you're a rapist."

Cleveland made the most sense from the point of trying to make another animated show about a family without making much in the way of alterations to FG (It's not like they used him as much as Joe or Quagmire for it to be super weird when he left).
>>
The show was very underrated. By the time it ended, it was basically Black American Dad.
>>
>>78431534
Clarence wasn't a rapist and his show wasn't a spinoff; the creator was just bipolar.
>>
>>78429712
He got cucked by Quagmire and fell off the house with his bathtub.
>>
>>78429411
Mike Henry. When FG got a spin off they let Mike Henry be the show runner/head writer/main creator/whatever it's called. Mike Henry was/is a VA and writer for FG. Mike's most major FG character is Cleveland.
>>
A better question to ask is how did Seth McFarlane get a career? Follow up would be why does he still have one?
>>
>>78432842
Times were different back then, and now he's just riding his former glory i guess.
>>
>>78432842
People that bitch about MacFarlane and don't know shit about him are honestly more cancerous than he is. At least do some research for yourself before jumping on some bandwagon.
>>
Am I the only one who unironically liked that spinoff?
at the end of the day, any comedy is only as good as its first 5 minutes (at that point they have to stop making jokes in favor of plot progression) and Cleveland Show's openings are just as good as any other
The timing on the scene where he beats up a bunch of old women at the mall was particularly good
>>
>>78429452
>>78429475
>>78429712
A combination of those.
>>
>>78429411
No idea, but who thinks stewie and brian should have gotten their own show?
>>
On a side note, would it not have made more sense to have had Peter shoot Rollo instead of Cleveland Jr in the recent Travon Martin inspired episode?
>>
>>78432842
By writing and being a storyboard artist on succesful cartoon shows in the 90s.
>>
>>78429411
Cause someone thought giving a character whose shtick was being the most boring one out of the group a show and didn't know what kind of show it wanted to be. Most FG fans hate it, blacks never watched it, there were no memorable characters or moments and a lot of missed opportunities.
>>
>>78437534
Cleveland Jr. is way more innocent looking and a teenager.
>>
>>78437387
Most of /co/ generally agrees that season 3 and 4 were good or at the very least better than family guy. Shame it was cancelled, it honestly could have have reached American Dad status of quality.
>>
>>78437387
pretty much this
every other show macfarlane made is shit
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.