[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a comic wete it's creator did it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
Has there ever been a comic wete it's creator did it's best run?
It seems in comics, the original stories are used as ideas for later pieces of Quality.
>>
Spider-Man desu senpai
>>
>>78405239
>Has there ever been a comic wete it's creator did it's best run?

Most comics. The only time your second sentence is correct is if you're talking about Marvel or DC. Almost NEVER happens otherwise.
>>
>>78405239

Watchmen
>>
Steve Ditko's Spider-Man
Steve Ditko's Dr. Strange (debatable, him or Steve Englehart)
Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four
Jack Kirby's Fourth World characters
Jack Kirby's Thor (debatable, either him or Walt Simonson)
Jack Cole's Plastic Man
Otto Binder/C.C. Beck's Captain Marvel
John Wagner's Judge Dredd
>>
>>78405309
most comics are marvel or dc though
>>
>>78405357
This is why Americans should be banned from 4chan.
>>
>>78405341
>Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four
Hickman's run was better.
>>
>>78405357
Most comics aren't DC/Marvel even in North America.
>>
>>78405309
Indiean please GO
>>
>>78405422
The anon's mostly right.
>>
>>78405397
>I am a faggot please rape my face
>>
File: 1439246128563.gif (205 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1439246128563.gif
205 KB, 500x375
>>78405357
Most comics you pay attention to maybe, but even in the American market DC/Marvel aren't the majority it's not like they're publishing a shit ton of titles all at once.
>>
>>78405443
What a childish post.
>>
>>78405454
They're publishing more titles each month than any other publisher. They've also been at it for a very long time.
>>
>>78405422
Quit being a casual.

There's more to comics than what you learned about while watching The Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>78405468
They may publish more than any other publisher but they don't make the majority of weekly releases.
>>
>>78405468
Yes but they don't publish more titles each month than every other publisher combined. Also other comics have also been at for a very long time. DC and Marvel have never been alone at any point in time.
>>
>>78405480
>watching the Big Reddit Theory
Being non big 2 is not an indication of quality.
>>
>>78405456
It's fitting, only a child would prefer Hickman's run over Kirby's.
>>
>>78405514
No one has said that in this thread.
>>
>>78405514
But Anon, Reddit loves Marvel and DC more than any other publisher. Why don't you go back to your home on there?
>>
>>78405526
Well meme'd
>>
>>78405341

I like how you deliberately, and painfully, made sure not to mention Stan Lee in that post, as if he had no part in those stories (considering he was the fucking writer in quite a few of them)
>>
>>78405422
>Indiean
What a dumb ass fucking word, quit forcing this shit, loser.
>>
>>78405529
>

>>78405556
Wow, rude.

Who hurt you?
>>
>>78405590
He scripted the dialogue, but the artists handled the rest of the writing.

It's called the Marvel Method.
>>
>>78405598
DESIGNATED
>>
>>78405590
Stan continued Spidey after Ditko left and the tone and the change.
>>
>>78405613
No, the marvel method, you daft shit, is them writing out a synopsis of the story and how it goes, followed by character dialogue, with the artist being allowed to fill in blank spots and go free reign on the art and how the story is told through it.

At DC,for example, it would be a script where each panel would be described in detail.

You're stupid.
>>
File: OdZGos4.png (646 KB, 469x556) Image search: [Google]
OdZGos4.png
646 KB, 469x556
>>78405645
>Stan continued Spidey after Ditko left and the tone and the change.
>and the tone and the change.
>>
>>78405648
No, you fucking retard, the artists would scrip the scenes and then have fucking dialogue suggestions on the side too. Stan lee was an editor, a shitty one too.
>>
>>78405648
The synopsis could at times be very short and artist like Ditko and Kirby gave dialogue suggestions. Kirby next to the art and Ditko on a separate paper.
>>
>>78405341
Spectacular Spider-Man series

The Kyle Baker run

>>78405325
Not original characters
>>
>>78405648
>Stan would drive me home and we’d plot our stories in the car. I’d say to Stan, “How’s this? Millie loses her job.” He’d say, “Great! Give me 25 pages.” And that took him off the hook.

>One time I was in Stan’s office and I told him, “I don’t have another plot.” Stan got out of his chair and walked over to me, looked me in the face, and said very seriously, “I don’t ever want to hear you say you can’t think of another plot.” Then he walked back and sat down in his chair. He didn’t think he needed to tell me anything more.
>>
>>78405706
They are original characters. They weren't going to be, yes, but they were, and now they have very little in common with whom they were based on.
>>
>>78405706
>not original characters
You think you're funny?
>>
>>78405674
>>78405741
You can stop samefagging now.
>>
>>78405706
>Spectacular Spider-Man series
The 1976 series, the 2003 series or the animated series?
>The Kyle Baker run
Baker's Plastic Man run was good but
>>
>>78405341
Agree to all of these, I may prefer Englehart and Brunner/Colan to Lee and Ditko, but it's close

Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck
Chris Claremont's New Mutants and Excalibur
John Byrne's Alpha Flight
>>
>>78405763
your bitch tears are delicious.
>>
>>78405766
>Baker's Plastic Man run was good but
not better than Cole's run.
>>
>>78405742
>>78405762
Making au versions of characters in the same company that owns them isn't original.

Is Optiman original.
>>
>>78405763
Cry more.
>>
>>78405741
Based Stan.
>>
>>78405648
Saying "how about the Fantastic Four fight Doctor Doom again?" is hardly scripting.

Stan Lee didn't even know who Silver Surfer was until Kirby gave him the pencilled pages.
>>
File: 1450638034451.jpg (71 KB, 360x403) Image search: [Google]
1450638034451.jpg
71 KB, 360x403
>>78405775
>>78405789
>>
>>78405785
yes
>>
>>78405763
>>78405802
samefag
>>
Eastman and Laird TMNT

Fight me IDW fans
>>
>>78405827
>50 posts
>16 posters

Hey bud, somebodies samefagging, but i know it aint me
>>
>>78405836
This is a Marvel and DC thread. Marvel and DC publish the most comics, the most important comics, and the best comics. Your kind is not welcome here.
>>
>>78405846
>but i know it aint me
nice try, chump.
>>
>Stan was the scripter, but I was coming up with most of the ideas. It finally got to the point where I told him that if he was the writer, he’d have to come up with the plots. So, we just sat across the desk from one another in silence
>>
>>78405836
Eastman has actually been writing the IDW run.
>>
>>78405827
>two completely different in their tone responses are made by the same person
I wasn't the one denying the fact that Stan wasn't all that involved in the process. I genuinely find the image of him sitting next to a starving, sleep-deprived artist with shaking hands and bags under his eyes to knock it off and get back to work funny.
>>
>>78405891
But only drawing the occasional cover
>>
>>78405341
>Jack Kirby's Thor (debatable, either him or Walt Simonson)

Simonson BY FAR.
>>
>>78405903
I forgot to add "and telling him" somewhere between "eyes" and "to" but you get the idea.
>>
>>78405325
Steve Ditko created the characters. Moore just renamed them and took credit for it.
>>
>>78405909
Hasn't he been credited as a writer alongside with Waltz and Curnow?
>>
>>78405947
He's writing, but I'm saying the classic Mirage stuff is the best
>>
>>78405947
>Hasn't he been credited as a writer alongside with Waltz and Curnow?

Eastman is credited under "story".

The script, the actual WRITING, is all Curnow.
>>
>>78407069

Waltz, actually. Curnow and Eastman come up with ideas, Waltz works it all into a script.
>>
>>78405927
>Watchmen originated from a story proposal Moore submitted to DC featuring superhero characters that the company had acquired from Charlton Comics. As Moore's proposed story would have left many of the characters unusable for future stories, managing editor Dick Giordano convinced Moore to create original characters instead.
>>
>>78405913
I disagree. Once Sal Buscema takes over the art it kind of falls apart for me. The beginning of Kirby/Lee is rough though, so it's about even imo. Both great runs with weak spots.
>>
>>78405341
Kirby's Kamandi too. Nobody even remembers Conway's run.
I like Conway ASM best, though.
>>
>>78405341

This is hilariously sad. All of those Marvel runs listed are because of Stab "The Man" Lee (Hallowed Be His Name).

Ditko without Lee is just jerking off over Ayn Rand forever.

Notice how this anon said "Fourth World characters" and not "Fourth World STORIES", because the stories Kirby wrote himself were infamously shit. Kirby needed a Simon or a Lee to reign him in and keep him focused.

I love how it's so fashionable right now to deprecate Lee, when all of his "better" partners did their best work with him and can't do more than muddled mediocrity on their own.

Lee is the key.
>>
>>78407372

>the stories Kirby wrote himself were infamously shit. Kirby needed a Simon or a Lee to reign him in and keep him focused.

What about Devil Dinosaur?
>>
>>78407372
Fourth world bad.
Oh, anon, you're so alone.
>>
>>78405706
>>78405927
>>78407291
Actually they're still original characters. Dr. Manhattan's backstory is still different from Captain Atom's, Hollis is closer to the Fox Comics Garret Blue Beetle than the Charlton Dan Garrett and Dan Dreiberg didn't become Nite Owl because of Hollis dying. Also, Comedian and Nightshade are nothing like Peacemaker and Silk Spectre if you actually read the original Charlton comics.
>>
>>78407291
Rorschach, for example, is a parody of Ditko's Mr. A and The Question, since they were mouthpieces for Ditko's simplistic black-and-white Objectivist worldview.
>>
>>78407372
Hi, Stan!
>Ditko without Lee is just jerking off over Ayn Rand forever.
Ditko was doing great monster comics even before working with Lee.
>Notice how this anon said "Fourth World characters" and not "Fourth World STORIES
What an autist you are.
>>
>>78407416
Nope, that's the general consensus.

The Fourth World art was great, but the writing blows.
>>
>>78407472
>Nope, that's the general consensus.
Not really.
>>
>>78405590
>STOP SAYING STAN LEE HASN'T CONTRIBUTE TO SPIDER-MAN AND FANTASTIC FOUR! HE DID! HE DID CONTRIBUTE! HE WROTE DIALOGUES! HE FILLED SPEECH BUBBLE WITH TEXT! HOW COULD YOU NOT GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR THIS?! HE WAS ESSENTIAL: NO ONE COULD REPLACE HIM! SO STOP TELLING HE WAS USELESS! STOP! STOP! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>78407472
It's sad that you have so little faith in your own opinions that you have to appeal to a non existent concensus.
>>
>>78407544
No, it's just a factual statement. I was responding to an anon saying I was alone in my opinion.

I'm both right, and happen to be with the general consensus on this.
>>
>>78407465
>What an autist you are.

Wow, you really showed me. What a good rebuttal!
>>
>>78405341
>Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four
Waid's and Bryne's were better
>>
>>78407587
You just made some nitpick of me saying characters instead of stories when they go hand in hand in this thread where character's publications are discussed.
>>
File: x23mas.jpg (140 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
x23mas.jpg
140 KB, 466x700
Kyle and Yost easily did the best X-23 work.
>>
>>78407694
No, it illustrates my point. Kirby's Fourth World was brimming with awesome ideas and great art, but the actual comics weren't very good because Kirby is not a good writer by himself. Anyone who has actually read the 70s originals will tell you this.

Other creators later did interesting things with the Fourth World concepts.
>>
>>78407834
I've read the original Kirby's FW stuff. And other comic creators, critics and even readers hold it in high regard.

The only other comic creator to do anything interesting with the New God characters was Simonson.
>>
>>78407472
There were some really nice stories in there, including Highfather's origin.
>>
>>78407538
Spider Man as a concept is so anti Dikto randian the idea that Lee was a minority of the contribution is insane.

Why the hell does co need a villian?They were collaborations that broke up like any other creative team.

Jesus
>>
>>78407834
>because Kirby is not a good writer by himself
PFAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>78405468
Actually there have been several months even in recent years where Image puts out more individual series than either DC or Marvel. (Though not TOTAL number of comic units if you want to count like that, because Hickman's Avengers sells like 90 or 100k, while say Hickman's Manhattan Projects sold 20k)
>>
>>78409444
>Spider Man as a concept is so anti Dikto randian
Nigga you clearly never read early spider-man, he was an outcast who was basically a school shooter waiting to happen and had delusions of being John Galt.
>>
>>78411420
The teenage moral gray ness and conflict is fundamental anti Dikto.

Hell, Dikto had him shit talking hippies and stan wrote in the opposite
>>
Stan Lee and Jack Kirby have the same exact relationship as a circus entertainer and his acrobatic show bear respectively. You feel sorry for the bear because it's doing all this cool shit but this asshole entertainer guy seems to be solely profiting from it. You don't see all of the work there. You don't see the entertainer driving between states, acting as an agent for himself and his bear. You don't see him making appointments for showings and reserving fair grounds. All you see is the bear. Really, without the entertainer man this bear would be fucking feral wandering the streets rummaging for food.

Jack Kirby was a vet with a lot of trauma in his term. Stan was the one who could shake him out of that and get him to focus on his pencils. It kept him clear of memories concerning a room full of dead Germans caused by him. In return, Stan gets a shit load of work from Jack. The two were fucking insane, and their constant forward motion and symbiosis of each other's efforts made Marvel get huge. It wasn't about the credit, it was about getting the job done for the sake of each other. Relax guys, Kirby's not turning in his grave.
>>
>>78411420
>who was basically a school shooter waiting to happen

Is this one of those things where myopic fans can't look past their present like with Superdickery? In 10 years are we going to have people bleating "Calvin is a school shooter waiting to happen"?
>>
>>78405239
Priest and Bright Quantum and Woody.
Alex Raymond Flash Gordon
>>
Might be cheating but Giffen's Jaime Reyes has never been replicated
>>
File: sgtrock_Page_3.jpg (333 KB, 1190x900) Image search: [Google]
sgtrock_Page_3.jpg
333 KB, 1190x900
Sgt. Rock by Joe Kubert
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.