[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is DC's Sword + Sorcery Stuff?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8
File: Claw_the_Unconquered_Vol_1_1.jpg (51 KB, 300x453) Image search: [Google]
Claw_the_Unconquered_Vol_1_1.jpg
51 KB, 300x453
I was recently re-reading Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run (I forgot how much I loved it), and the "Ends of the Earth" storyline had me thinking about those sword and sorcery-type characters Simone brought back. I was never that interested in the genre (Never cared much for Conan, Game of Thrones, D&D, whatever), but the characters seemed cool and got me wanting to read more about them.

It looks like DC had Stalker, Claw, and their version of Beowulf in some really short-lived series in the '70s (probably killed by the DC Implosion, I presume). There was also a few Amethyst: Princess of Gem World series, and that recent "Sword of Sorcery" series that brought Amethyst and some of these other guys back.

How were these? Should I track them down? What would you recommend?
>>
Amethyst and Warlord are both fucking awesome
>>
>>78376842

All volumes of Amethyst, or a particular one?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Warlord. I love Grell's Green Arrow stuff, so his other goatee guy comic should also be good.

Come to think of it, Simone used Skataris in a Secret Six storyline. I guess she has a sword-and-sorcery fetish?
>>
>>78377007
>All volumes of Amethyst, or a particular one?
The first 80s volume is great, and I did like the new 52 Sword of Sorcery

Yeah I like Grell GA a lot and Warlord is fantastic

Simone did use Skartaris, I'm guessing she's a fan
>>
>>78376842
This is basically correct. The others aren't bad, but those two are the standouts.
>>
>>78376622
>probably killed by the DC Implosion, I presume).

Yup.
I enjoyed them..for the brief time that they were with us. ;_;

>>78376842
>Amethyst and Warlord are both fucking awesome

Yes.

Don't forget Viking Prince.
>>
Oh, shite, forgot Arak, Son of Thunder. Indian raised by Vikings who teams up with a satyr and a female knight of Charlemagne -- this was pretty good. Also, Arion, Lord of Atlantis.
>>
Would Hercules Unbound count?
>>
Fuck me blind and call be Helen Keller, DC also had a "Sword of Sorcery" comic back in the day, and Starfire (pic related), Sword, Sorcery, Sexy Babe, and Sci-Fi.
>>
File: hercules-unbound.jpg (191 KB, 600x921) Image search: [Google]
hercules-unbound.jpg
191 KB, 600x921
>>78378943
>>
File: sword-of-sorcery-comic-5.jpg (245 KB, 1067x1569) Image search: [Google]
sword-of-sorcery-comic-5.jpg
245 KB, 1067x1569
>>78378927
>>
File: Arak_001.jpg (264 KB, 840x1110) Image search: [Google]
Arak_001.jpg
264 KB, 840x1110
>>78378859
>>
File: dcspec12.jpg (1 MB, 852x1265) Image search: [Google]
dcspec12.jpg
1 MB, 852x1265
>>78379006
>>78379037

Shite.
>>
File: arion_mt_1.jpg (172 KB, 788x1000) Image search: [Google]
arion_mt_1.jpg
172 KB, 788x1000
>>78379128
>>
File: explosion.gif (217 KB, 504x751) Image search: [Google]
explosion.gif
217 KB, 504x751
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.