[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you find more interesting? A character that was a complete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: 1397646449441.jpg (94 KB, 480x643) Image search: [Google]
1397646449441.jpg
94 KB, 480x643
What do you find more interesting?

A character that was a complete monster that genuinely seeks atonement after experiencing prison?

Or a character that only pretends to seek atonement because he doesn't want to go back to jail but in reality he's still the same monster he used to be?

I'm having putting these ideas together and how I want this character to be.

Pic unrelated
>>
The first.
>>
>>78359986
Why is this Asian girl trying to eat a cell phone?
>>
>>78360218
Out of dicks.
>>
>>78360218
To check if it's chocolate of course.
>>
>>78359986
A character who used to be a monster and he thinks he's changed, but actually he's become terrible in a different way
>>
>>78359986
>implying prison works

If someone is gonna realize they did wrong, they sure as fuck won't learn it from prison
>>
>>78359986
The first might be more interesting for the Mc while the second is a better support story. Though ultimately it depends on the story either can be interesting/bland
>>
>>78360292
It's happened or they allege it happened.
>>
>>78360292
It is such a terrible place that some people behaves just to not going back there.
>>
>>78360475
It's such a terrible place that most people can't function properly in society after living there and have an even greater contempt for the law and authority.
>>
>>78360497
But they still behave just to no going back there.
>>
>>78360536
The majority (68%) do not.
>>
>>78360266
This.
And he recognizes that he's falling again and he hates himself for it.

OP's second choice is just a Clockwork Orange.
>>
>>78359986
The first one, though the part about prison makes the character's motivations more shallow to me.
>>
>>78359986
>A character that was a complete monster that genuinely seeks atonement after experiencing prison?
That could make some situations about moral dilemmas and stuff.
>>
how about a character whos trying to atone for their errors, but is still tempted by the past?
>>
It's not a typical prison cell, I guess. They just kind of want to slowly torture the guy over the span of the rest of his life.

The lights are too bright. Room is too humid at times and too cold at others. Sometimes they just put a helmet on him and make him experience sensory deprivation.

And he totally deserves all of this.

>>78360266
I like this.
>>
>>78359986
Just going to state the obvious: either concept is fine, it's the execution that matters.
>>
>>78360591
That's sort of country specific, it's not exactly on the whole concept of prison.
>>
>>78362253
You're right. That number generally gets higher the worse the prison conditions.
>>
Assuming /co/ isn't so /pol/ that they don't like John Oliver, watch this video about re-offending after prison and consider how likely it is that your character could RESIST reoffending after America's fucked up prison system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJtYRxH5G2k
>>
>>78362343
Posting Oliver is just going to get /co/ to take the opposite stance out of spite.
>>
>>78362343
I mean why assume his character goes through real life 21st century American prison system?

>>78362379
Hating on Oliver is so 2015.
>>
>>78362379
I suppose it is dangerous to post anything left-wing on /co/, but this video is extremely important to understand crime in America.
>>78362436
Well, I mean, any prison system is going to be fucked up. We're still hung up on punishment instead of rehabilitation. That's why I never really went for the whole spanking your child thing. All you do is teach a child ways to not get spanked, you don't actually help them learn the difference between right and wrong.
>>
File: 1445605461624.jpg (50 KB, 420x349) Image search: [Google]
1445605461624.jpg
50 KB, 420x349
>>78362343
Based Tumblr co-opting /co/.
>>
>>78362603
>Well, I mean, any prison system is going to be fucked up. We're still hung up on punishment instead of rehabilitation
Not really, some prison systems are rehabilitation heavy. Of course not everybody is cool with that.
>>
>>78360218
I assume it's a common fetish in japan.
>>
>>78362603
>a bad comedian likely explaining the situation simplisticly.
>important
I'm sure there are better sources than him to explain the prison situation
>>
File: 1446700524228.jpg (51 KB, 245x204) Image search: [Google]
1446700524228.jpg
51 KB, 245x204
>>78362651
The government isn't. They're always passing bills to fuck up former prisoners even more. If the prison is rehabilitation heavy, the outside world sure isn't.

>>78362626
Whatever man, grow up.
>>
>>78362693
I'm sure there are. Like law textbooks and shit like that. But if OP needs a quick lesson, it's breddy gud.
>>
>>78362718
I'm talking in Scandinavia and shit.
>If the prison is rehabilitation heavy, the outside world sure isn't.
The fuck does that even mean.
>>
>>78359986
Either choice is basically your character fighting recidivism. I think the specifics depend on the message you want to convey. Like if the character genuinely has a change of heart, the message could be that people can change for the better. Or if your character stays a monster, it's saying that prison doesn't work, people can't change, etc.
>tldr: either one is interesting, it just depends on the themes you want to explore
>>
>>78362343
Am I /pol/ if I don't like him because he stopped being funny years ago? Oh who am I kidding. Anyone who disagrees with you is probably /pol/
>>
File: hitman013.jpg (78 KB, 440x564) Image search: [Google]
hitman013.jpg
78 KB, 440x564
>>78362718
>leftist telling someone else to grow up
>>
>>78362753
Hes saying that the world outside of prison doesn't like ex-cons.
>>
>>78362809
Ah, correct.
Kind of a chicken and egg thing there, but who'd want to hire a guy who has statistically 68% chances of commiting a crime?

Again some other countries have fine reintegration rates.
>>
>>78362869
We're talking about the real world here not some irrelevant country up in europe.
>>
>>78359986
just make it both

make it an internal conflict for a character as to whether or not his redemption is genuine or if theyre just putting on face.

if you dont know why should the character?
>>
>>78360218
>Not having the "Is she waifu material?" app on your phone with bite-tester attachment.
>>
>>78362785
No, you can find him unfunny. I don't really watch him for the funny though. I watch him for that righteous anger feeling I get when I'm mad at the world. Everyone likes to feel righteously angry right?
>>
>>78362343
>implying "likely-ness" and believability are the same
>>
>>78362753
Oh, well of course, Scandinavia's on the forefront of being decent people. Then again, Scandinavia doesn't really have a lot of crime does it? Certainly not a lot of poverty related crimes?
>>
>>78362989
The Scandinavian system has been shown to not work at all on genuine psychopaths and the like.
>>
>>78362957
So you watch a bad comedian over simplify issues to be self-righteous? Wouldn't the real news do pretty much the same without a laugh track?
>>
>>78359986
One that wants atonement, but has trouble with changing.
>>
>>78362869
I think America could have fine integration rates if they just gave people a chance after prison. That's the saddest thing about manufacturing all being done in China now. You don't have just basic grunt work that anyone can do without having to interact with the public.
>>
>>78362603
>any prison system is going to be fucked up
Not like America, at least not in first world countries
>>
>>78362890
>/co/
>we're talking about the real world here
How d'you figure?
>>
>>78363025
what about on regular criminals, such as thieves and drug dealers, which probably make up a bigger percentage?

Also, is it implied that the american system handles psychpaths better, or are psychpaths just a lost cause?

>>78363031
I mean, I was being sarcastic, but if you want a real answer, I haven't seen the news do a proper story about recidivism, televangelism, or sex ed, or ANY topic John Oliver's covered, so no. I'm in Canada though, and Stephen Harper basically ensured for years that the CBC would be crippled, so I'm not surprised.
>>
>>78362989
Eh, they've had issues with Somali and Iraqi refugees.

>>78363025
Well is a prison system supposed to work on psychopaths? I mean it's supposed to (at best) help the people there become non-dangerous contributing memebers of society, not to cure people with mental disorders.
>>
>>78363082
Not as bad as America, I can agree with that. The ignorance of average American households is staggering. It's hard enough to convince southern states that solar panels don't steal energy from the sun, let alone that ex-criminals would be less likely to commit crimes if you just gave them work, a place to stay, and the ability to see their families after getting out.
>>
>>78363145
Dont't be a dick you hoser.
>>
>>78363136
How so? I know Denmark is being a dick about refugees, and that Sweden has taken on a lot. But I haven't heard anything about crimes committed by the new citizens.
>>
>>78363163
Sorry bud. It's just, you never hear these kinda things comin' outta Canada eh? Not even Manitoba or Alberta!
>>
>>78363193
So I'm guessing you've never been on /int/, then.
Just look up "Malmö crime".
>>
>>78363232
That sounds like it sucks. Sorry for the swedes and any non-violent refugees living in the country.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.