[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm obsessed with "tribute" characters. The alternate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: Picture 2.png (605 KB, 947x585) Image search: [Google]
Picture 2.png
605 KB, 947x585
I'm obsessed with "tribute" characters.
The alternate costume designs and backstories.
The challenge of making a character who's similar enough for readers to see the resemblance, but different enough to not be copyright infringement.
The way they can reinterpret their inspiration.
Can anyone else relate? What are your favorite tribute characters? What do you like about them? How do they compare to their inspiration?
>>
Try Michel Fiffe's COPRA. It's a tribute comic not just to one character, but to a whole team of characters-- specifically, to John Ostrander's eighties run on Suicide Squad.
>>
>>78351398
it doesn't stop with Suicide Squad

DKR, Morrison's Doom Patrol, Ditko Doctor Strange, JRJR Punisher, Silvestri Reavers, JRJR Typhoid Mary, and I'm sure plenty of characters I don't get the obvious tributes for
>>
Big Bang Comics was always great for this stuff.
>>
File: megamin.jpg (15 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
megamin.jpg
15 KB, 300x168
I LOVE Metroman and Megamind

greatest hero/capeshit tribute/parody film imo but then i havent seen many

super underrated film with lots of great voice talent

also I really like Superior
and Nite Owl
>>
I love the classic Squadron Supreme

Also Supreme is great
>>
File: Nighthawk_HCV.jpg (36 KB, 175x206) Image search: [Google]
Nighthawk_HCV.jpg
36 KB, 175x206
>tfw they found a way to make Batman edgier
>>
>>78352311
elaborate

but seriously does anyone else like megamind or is it just me

none of my friends like it
>>
>>78352466
i love mega mind

my head canon says incredibles, mega mind and despicable me all exist in the same universe.
>>
File: 1225173-whiteface1.jpg (32 KB, 281x485) Image search: [Google]
1225173-whiteface1.jpg
32 KB, 281x485
>>78352466
Nighthawk is a black supremacist and his version of the Joker is a racist serial killer who throws everyone off his trail by posing as a birthday clown. Also, he has scars on his face that make it look like he's always frowning instead of smiling.
>>
File: greentextbaby.jpg (52 KB, 225x279) Image search: [Google]
greentextbaby.jpg
52 KB, 225x279
>>78352532
oh dude that is some headcanon....im taking that lol
>>78352688
thats pretty edgy, dude
im gonna read that
>>
>>78352780
The story I described is called "Supreme Power: Nighthawk."
>>
>>78352835
trying to find it now, thanks bro
>>
>>78351452
>Morrison's Doom Patrol
Which issue was this?
>>
>>78352780
You're really trying.
>>
File: VITAS.jpg (161 KB, 864x1312) Image search: [Google]
VITAS.jpg
161 KB, 864x1312
>>78352897
Isn't Vitas the main villain of the first part inspired by Doom Patrol?
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (12 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
12 KB, 181x279
>>78351342
Oh man I love tribute characters! Back when I played City of Heroes I always made some sort of a tribute character. Big fan of anything that has the classic seven members of the Justice League. Is there any recommendations other than Supreme, Jupiter's Legacy, the Boys, Multiversity, Big Bang Comics and Astro City?

Tributes of the Invaders are also awesome. I recommend pic related. Battle Hymn was awesome.
>>
>>78354071
The Top Cow comics for CoH was cool as well. CoH had great tributes.

Freedom Force was another great game full of awesome and terrific tributes.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.