[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on Emerald Twilight/Parallax /co/? Was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (337 KB, 823x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
337 KB, 823x1280
What are your thoughts on Emerald Twilight/Parallax /co/? Was it a franchise destroying stain on the DCU or was it a unique and innovative storyline? Was it the best thing they've ever done with Hal Jordan or was it a decade long character derail? What do you think about Spectre Hal? The Rebirth retcon?

Talk to me /co/
>>
It led to Kyle so it's good
>>
File: instant rage just add water.jpg (402 KB, 322x619) Image search: [Google]
instant rage just add water.jpg
402 KB, 322x619
>>78348188
I try not to think about it too much. It's finally over, the damage fixed, so it's all good. And I like the yellow fearbug.
>>
File: suck it berganza.jpg (81 KB, 291x236) Image search: [Google]
suck it berganza.jpg
81 KB, 291x236
>>78348926
Yeah when I went back to read ET and some of the letter pages in the following issues the editors took a Marvel-esque approach to needling readers and even 20 fucking years later it really rustled my jimmies

>I try not to think about it too much. It's finally over, the damage fixed, so it's all good. And I like the yellow fearbug.
That's about my thoughts too
>>
>>78348188
I didn't like it at the time, but then that Nazi level fangroup started up and I kinda got lost in High School for a while. I liked what Geoff Johns did with him later.

BTW, anyone remember the name of that group? Its on the tip of my tongue, but I can't recall.
>>
>>78349514
HEAT, Hal's Emerald Attack Team
>>
File: 1678798765680.png (475 KB, 620x545) Image search: [Google]
1678798765680.png
475 KB, 620x545
>>78348789
>Kyle
>a good outcome
>>
>>78348188
It's basically clone saga level bad. At least in terms of execution. The dust up among the fans was massive for pre internet days and as usual the suits and fans learned the wrong lessons at the end of the day.

Suits thought that fans would hate any major change to characters. Although the basic premise does shit on Hal more than a little and terrible execution didn't help.

Fans realized that if they complained long and hard enough they could get the publishers to do whatever they wanted.
>>
>>78350405
Fuck off.
>>
>>78352464
>Fans realized that if they complained long and hard enough they could get the publishers to do whatever they wanted.
Wally version of HEAT when?
>>
>>78350405
>implying Kyle's a bad character.
>>
>>78352464
>Fans realized that if they complained long and hard enough they could get the publishers to do whatever they wanted.
Except they didn't. Nothing changed until Rebirth and by then most people had forgotten, didn't care, or had decided they liked Kyle or Guy better.
>>
>>78354781
I don't think he's a bad character, but I don't think I'd miss him much if he didn't exist.
>>
File: popcorn.jpg (156 KB, 601x907) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.jpg
156 KB, 601x907
>>78352511
>getting so buttmad about bargain-bin Spider-man
>>
As someone who got into comics with Rebirth, it's a pretty nice storyline in retrospect, though it does kind of shit on Hal. Darkseid War: Green Lantern is a superior version of the concept.

That said, Parallax Hal is almost as based as Johns Hal.
>>
>>78355140
>Darkseid War: Green Lantern is a superior version of the concept.
Yeah I thought it was a nice take on a similar scenario with different circumstances, plus I liked that it was more optimistic in dealing with tragedy
>>
>>78348188

Hal going villain I could let slide.

But everyone ELSE in the GL mythos getting the shaft so Kyle could be the only one was inexcusable.
>>
>>78349398

I don't like Kyle. AT ALL. No one should have to see their favorite character get fucked over just so he could get a ring.

But now that I have my favorite GLs back (Except Alan, not as he was created at any rate) Im willing to tolerate him. I don't feel Green Lantern has to be a zero sum game
>>
>>78349623

Hal's Emerald Advancement Team actually. I was a founding member

>>78349514

>Nazi level fangroup

I resent that. All HEAT wanted was to bring back Hal, and by extension the GLC. The rumors that we sent death threats were either just that, or people outside the group doing it in our name to discredit us. I assure you anyone in our group doing that would be drummed out immediately.

Things HEAT has done include putting a collection together to send Alan Scott's creator to his first and only convention. We also gathered up donated comics to send to soldiers in the Gulf War.

Some of us were even Kyle fans. And those of us that weren't were more than willing to have him to co-exist with Hal. No one in HEAT wanted people to lose their favorite character. That was the whole reason we were founded.

So Ill thank you not to call us Nazis.
>>
>>78353562

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention
>>
>>78352464
>It's basically clone saga levels of bad, at least in terms of execution

No way, at least with Hal they had the balls to go all the way through with it.

Anyway, at the time it was a meme to do these kind of edgy shakeups, see Reign of the Supermen, Knightfall, Challenge of Artemis, even the whole Dark Flash thing later. It's just Emerald Twilight was the only one that stuck.
>>
>>78353562
They'd all be branded as racist, desu senpai.
>>
>>78356360
>putting a collection together to send Alan Scott's creator to his first and only convention. We also gathered up donated comics to send to soldiers in the Gulf War.
That's adorable
>>
>>78356360
>Hal's Emerald Advancement Team actually

You sacks a shit changed your name after the controversy surrounding DC offices being sent mystery packages and all the death threats.
>>
File: 0ouR8b1.jpg (588 KB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
0ouR8b1.jpg
588 KB, 2500x1500
>>78356223
>I don't like Kyle. AT ALL.

I heartily agree. Although in my case a good part of it is that I fucking despise the artist archetype. There was that one issue, an annual I think, that had Kyle orgasming over some generic shit fantasy and celebrated Kyle's amazing superior artistic vision when he contributed to said generic shit fantasy world. That was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me. Even fucking Hal displayed more imagination in Willworld.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.