[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i guess I'm writing a fan fic.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: bounty droid 4.jpg (443 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
bounty droid 4.jpg
443 KB, 800x1000
Just doing it for fun, but I'm going to write a Star Wars trilogy of my own since I've been watching the OT since I've been watching movies and developing an idea for two years now.

My question is, do you guys have any ideas of your own in terms of keeping a Star Wars tone consistent without getting too carried like a lot of EU stories tend to get? I have a plot, but after seeing Ep. 7 in theatres it means a lot to make sure that it would actually feel like something in Star Wars and not a cheap imitation.
>>
>>78343896
So in other words, you want to make a Star Wars ripoff that is both good and won't get you sued?

The key word is "pacing". Also important is a sense of groundedness. Don't go fucking wild with our universe right off the bat, take your time and make it "realistic"
>>
>>78343896
Build it up like a standard fantasy story perhaps with a bit of a eastern influence and then once you have that add in the sci-fi elements to it.
>>
>>78343934
No, he wants to make a Star Wars fanfic. A ripoff wouldn't literally be set in the same universe.
>>
>>78343956
Any idea where I should begin researching more eastern influences? I'd like to look into different types of story structures and dynamics in fantasy and more realistic settings as well. I know Lucas did his work in looking up Roman mythology, flash gordon, etc. I'd like to try the same and see what I can come up with, ideally.

>>78343934
Ehh I wouldn't say a ripoff, it would be in the same universe as Star Wars albeit completely unrelated to the Skywalkers. It's more or less for me, for fun and so I can have the confidence to write other projects.
>>
>>78344102
>>78344000
Oh okay, nevermind then. Um, I'm always a fan of background stories that go on while the main characters are doing cool shit.

Maybe you could do something about the Invasion of Naboo from the perspective of a random citizen that's fighting back?
>>
>>78343896
Well, unlike what most people will tell you, writing a fanfic is both a)more difficult than writing an 'original' story and b)can actually become a good thing people will read.
The good news is, you're freed from the burned of having to meet the 'originality' quota by creating stupid rehashed version of other things so you can focus on the writing.
The bad news is, you actually have to have good writing. Writing is the key aspect to a fanfic, it's a make or brake thing.
Just read up on what makes a good story good and do that (you can find about it by reading other stories that are good). You have a plethora of places, cultures, people and events happening everywhere so you just have to pick one and start writing from there.

Also, you'll never be able to keep a 'Star Wars tone' because this isn't Star Wars. It'll have a 'Star Wars by anon tone' because that's what it is, and that's a good thing. Don't make an imitation, don't make a re-imagining, make a story about whatever the hell you think would make a good story that happens to be in the Star Wars universe (if you're just gonna write erotic fanfic though just forget the whole SWuniverse thing, there's cool shit everywhere so if you're not gonna use them you're just leeching off of the name).
>>
>>78344232
Well, I have an idea of a plot and certain themes, more or less exploring one's place in the universe (that's similar to the OT in a sense) and the moral crisis one has between the light/dark mentality of the Jedi and Sith. Cementing yourself in the universe on that spectrum, in the light, the dark, in between it maybe.
>>
>>78344317
If it is set during the OT I would only have a jedi if they were on the run trying to conceal their powers and the empire was searching for them. Maybe once they are found you have vader coming in and trying to recruit them secretly or something.
>>
>>78344404
See, this is where my biggest problem comes in, is finding out where in the saga's continuity my story happens. I'm not opposed to it happening way before or after the 9 films, but my story does concern 3 sith lords and a jedi exile. The backstory for one of these sith lords, (for familiarity I would say he would fill an 'Emperor' archetype, in the broadest sense, it's not Palpatine) who had seven jedi apprentices before turning to the dark side and has been hunting them down. The exile, as well as his current apprentice, are the only two of them alive (save for the introduction to this emperor character, where he has captured and ultimately kills a fifth apprentice who sets the plot in motion)

I need a time in the continuity that could fit this.
>>
>>78343896
Just write your own Sci-Fi series.
>>
>>78344517
Or you could do away with continuity altogether. Look at Inglorious Bastards, the writer didn't like how the events turned out in real life so he changed the real events to suit his story better

>>78344653
Don't listen to that guy, you'll only end up with a dishonest ripoff.
>>
>>78344653
I hope to one day, but first I'd like to experiment with a series I have an understanding of already, and so I can master how to efficiently set a tone, characters, world-building, all that.
>>
>>78344680
Yeah, I'm beginning to think I could just set this in an unknown point in time. There aren't any characters from the Skywalker saga coming in for fan service, it's just its own contained story in three chapters. I haven't really been focused on "when" it happens according to the OT timeline, just focused on making the story it's own thing without getting too dark (since the first episode deals a lot with the Sith) or the opposite, getting overly fantastical for it's own sake.
>>
>>78344771
Sounds like the way to go anon, 'a long long time ago' is very vague anyway. If it's a few thousands of light years away from most of the action happens you can pretty much do whatever you want.
If you want my opinion, you can have your characters be the ones to destroy the death star or kill vader if it would meaningfully advance the story. No reason to bow down to THE CANON. Sure, some people would whine that this didn't happen in THE CANON but to hell with them and all the other freelance lawyers set to defend THE CANON. You're writing fanfiction anyways, your story is as naked as it gets since it's stripped of all the glamour of worldbuilding and 'muh fantasy cultures'. Just write a good story and don't apologize to anyone.
>>
>>78344991
Awesome, thank you anon. Also, do you think it would be possible for certain aspects of the already existing EU to be reworked in this project? Sort of like making my own continuity.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.