[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would this show have worked if it came out today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: Daria.png (147 KB, 471x300) Image search: [Google]
Daria.png
147 KB, 471x300
Would this show have worked if it came out today?
>>
Well no because it is no longer the 90s. :^)
>>
File: 10869452648573135380.jpg (131 KB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
10869452648573135380.jpg
131 KB, 711x400
>You will never feed Daria and Jane pizza
>>
>>78333547
>Would this show have worked if it came out today?

It wouldn't be the same kind of show. There's a zeitgeist that it captured that no longer exists in the same fashion.
>>
>>78333547
How the fuck could I know? How the fuck can anyone?
>>
>>78333771
>There's a zeitgeist that it captured that no longer exists in the same fashion.

What was it?
>>
>>78333815
I'm pretty sure the entire point of the show was that they were jaded 90s alternateens who had a poster of Billy Corgan in their bedroom and whatnot.
>>
>>78333547
Daria was a product of its time, people like Daria and Jane don't exist anymore, at least not teenagers social media made sure of it
>>
File: katy-perry-daria.jpg (68 KB, 413x550) Image search: [Google]
katy-perry-daria.jpg
68 KB, 413x550
>>78333547
This: >>78333555
>>
I agree. Today's teens aren't like the cynical 90s version; they're more like lylsorandumbtextmessage XD XD XD
>>
So in honor of this show, I'm going to go listen to Stone Temple Pilots right now. (RIP Scott)
>>
Why was the 90s so cynical anyway?
>>
I remember them...when I was a little kid and you'd be walking around with your mom and teenagers seemed like huge towering monsters. Probably hanging around and discussing Green Day tunes or something.

Of course then us little kids in the 90s would have GD as our high school soundtrack as well...in another decade when they were mostly whining about George Bush.
>>
>>78334115

The 90's weren't cynical at all. If anything they were overly optimistic. Hell part of what made Daria stand out was how cynical it was in comparison to the bright peppy pop culture that surrounded it. You have to remember when Daria first aired boybands were at the top of their game.
>>
>>78334229
He's confusing 97-99 with the early 90s.
>>
>>78334229
Catdog was really a let down a lot of the time
>>
>>78334115
It was a combination of things including America kind of suffering a letdown after the celebration of the Cold War being over had finished. People didn't trust the government and conspiracy theories were hot.
>>
>>78333547
OH god yes it would be a hit if it was new.
>edgy tubmlr fags would love this shit, as long as they could claim "THEY WERE THERE FIRST!"
>>
>>78334278
I mean yes Clinton's second term was pretty much a party atmosphere but mid-decade was rather different.
>>
>>78334307

>muh "tumblr"

please fuck off, or actually reason like someone who isn't an idiot.
>>
File: 1406211385037.jpg (99 KB, 460x750) Image search: [Google]
1406211385037.jpg
99 KB, 460x750
>>78334355
>TRIGGERED
Fuck off landwhale.
>>
>>78334355
Fuck off Tumblr
>>
>>78334400
>>78334409

I hate tumblr, but 4chan's obsession to blame anything on everything on some imaginary boogeyman just boggles my mind. I wasn't defending tumblr, I'm just saying that it's idiotic to say the show will be success purely because tumblr exists.
>>
>>78334417
>Imaginary boogeyman
>Tumblr doesn't exist
yeah, okay
>>
>>78333851
Replace Billy Corgan with Twenty-One Pilots and early 90's teenage angst with neo-Mission Hill apathy.
>>
>>78334417
>I'm just saying that it's idiotic to say the show will be success purely because tumblr exists.

He didn't say that, you just read it that way because you seem obsessed with 4chan's supposed obsession of "boogeymen".
Take a pill and go back to the psych ward.
>>
>>78334460

Tumblr exists. Tumblr does dumb shit.

Tumblr is not the root cause of everything, and can not be blamed for every fucking bad thing that goes wrong. I can't tell you how many times I hear MUH TUMBLR or MUH SJW.
>>
>>78334115
-Reaganomics didn't actually work and turns out that cutting public funding for a lot of social programs is a terrible idea
-Lots of homeless
- Wage gap first became apparent
-massive increase of gang violence
-crack cocaine became a thing
-AIDS epidemic/scare
- Gulf War televised in graphic detail and raised questions over America's involvement in middle east
>>
>>78334635
thats the 80s
>>
>>78334635
Strange, I thought I was on /co/, not www.berniesanders.com
>>
>>78334635
>-Lots of homeless
Thanks to guilty liberals wanting the mental hospitals closed because it was mean to homeless psychos to take them off the street.
>- Wage gap first became apparent
Errors! The middle class grew significantly in the 80s. For comparison, the Carter years had seen workforce participation at its lowest level since the Depression.
>-massive increase of gang violence
Which goes back to the Great Society and the event of welfare gibesmedat.
>-AIDS epidemic/scare
Yeah, going in a gay bathhouse and having sex with 45 men a week will do that to you.
>- Gulf War televised in graphic detail and raised questions over America's involvement in middle east
>Mudslimes
>human
Do you feel guilty about cockroaches getting killed in the trap you set in your kitchen?
>>
>>78333547
No because half her head would be shaved and she would have dyed her hair in pink.
The actual content would follow those two decisions.
>>
>>78333547
No it would never survive. Daria was counter-culture if the time. In order to be counter-culture today she'd have to be anti-SJW and thus, the show would be called racist, sexist, homophobic, insensitive and offensive.
>>
the key difference is that today the protagonists wouldn't ever get called out on their own shit and would just be the special snowflake author insert.

Daria(The show) made it clear as hell that a lot of Daria's(the person) problems where to varying degrees her own damn fault

It acknowledged that she was a self important cynic who didn't have it near as bad as she thought she did

it acknowledged that by and large most of the people around her where decent folk

If it where made today we'd get some lame ass Scott Pilgrim bullshit where the loner hero wins in the end no matter what even though it goes against all they should have gone through and prevents them from learning a damn thing
>>
>>78334791
>holyshitsomuchbait.exe
>>
/co/ is too conservative to like anything trendy or hip, nowadays.
>>
>>78335117
/co/ is literally the most tumblr board on 4chan.
>>
>>78334791
>Thanks to guilty liberals wanting the mental hospitals closed because it was mean to homeless psychos to take them off the street.

Sorry, no. We went from half a million people in state funded mental institutions to just under 60,000 thanks to the Reagan administration.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.