[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiatus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: the hell.jpg (375 KB, 1128x898) Image search: [Google]
the hell.jpg
375 KB, 1128x898
Can someone explain why U.S cartoons go on long hiatus when the season just started, I don’t understand why they do this, has the animation not been completed or something?
Asia and Euro cartoons don’t do this. The big 3 are the main culprits for this (especially CN and Disney).
pls help me understand
>>
Marketing. Don't ask me how it makes sense, but the networks seem to think it does
>>
>>78325204
More like 3 month.
>>
File: Standing on the edge.jpg (20 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Standing on the edge.jpg
20 KB, 480x640
>>78325204
I dunno, why did Guts step onto a boat and not leave for however many fucking years?
>>
>>78325411
'cuz Miura is fucking lazy.
>>
>>78325449
I'm afraid to read the new chapter. What if he does it again? What if we get stuck on Planet Cart or something next?
>>
>>78325204
There's nothing to understand
>>
File: Then.jpg (8 KB, 286x200) Image search: [Google]
Then.jpg
8 KB, 286x200
>>78325278
>Marketing

How?
take gumball for example if they released 1 ep per week it would run for 40weeks but they release 5ep in one week and take 3 months break. it just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>78325512
>Don't ask me HOW it makes SENSE
>>
In the case of Gravity Falls at least, which would air episodes a month between and go on full hiatus for months at a time, it's because Disney allegedly thought they knew the peak days to air so they would get maximum ratings.

And that is the name of the game after all. That's why new episodes of a show that's underperforming will get replaced with repeats of another show (for example, the last two episodes of Moonbeam City got moved to 1am in favor of repeats of the newest South Park.)

In the case of CN shows, most of which are 11 minutes and seem to be produced for mass quantities, I think they can just experiment. They do the new Thursdays with multiple show premieres and they do the bombs with one show having a week's worth. I think part of it is spreading it even across the various shows and part of it is to allow time to produce more.
>>
>>78325567
the problem is alot of kids lose interest because of the irregular timing and when no one watches the show they say its our fault they show got bad ratings
>>
>>78325512
If those 40 episodes get, say, a 2.0 rating, but those 5 episodes each get, say, a 2.5 rating, they're gonna do the 5 episodes at a time.

If a new show they invested $1,750,000 in is getting an average of 2.0 and episodes of COPS from twenty years ago are getting 2.5, they're probably gonna air COPS instead at some point.

But yes, >>78325647 is right in that it's a common tactic to mess with the schedule and then point to the ratings as an excuse to get rid of a show. It's petty and stupid and not very business smart, but the people who make these decisions are humans at the end of the day. Powerful humans who get to choose what they want to air.
>>
>>78325204
>>>/pol/
>>
>>78325735
I... what? What?
>>
>>78325735
how is it /pol/ all i said was anime and euro cartoons (danger mouse) don't do this.
>>
>>78325720
Thanks man that was really helpful.
>>
>>78325783
>>78325819
it's a thinly veiled attack on Steven Universe, which is /pol/'s most hated show
>>
>>78325204
Fewer people watch TV during the holidays.

Also they need to space out their 20-23 episodes to air from Sept/Oct to May/June. That's 8-9 months, and with an average of 4 weeks a month, comes to 32-36 weeks. Probably a few more than that. So they'll play the occasional rerun and take a hiatus during the holiday season to stretch it out.
>>
>>78325638
Adding on to the Disney side, sometimes it's also because earlier episodes might be finished, but later episodes are still in some stage of (post)production. So rather than air everything they have completed at once and then wait a while for the newer ones to be done, they space the episodes out so it looks like a roughly even wait for each one.

It is pretty dumb but so are a lot of the alternatives, like not airing a thing until literally everything's done and then still waiting a long time for the next season.
>>
>>78325204

It's presumably to insure that they have no episodes to air at particular times without increasing the number of episodes ordered.

So they bank episodes for particular times when they think the audience will tune in more like how Disney showed a ton of Phineas and Ferb episodes during the first few weeks of summer after months of nothing or Cartoon Network burning off Mystery Incorporated during the weeks when most schools had Spring Break.

The downside is that it gets people out of the habit of watching the network regularly and it also doesn't help that their overseas counterparts don't buy into that idiocy. So you have American networks holding off on airing episodes that people watched months ago in Japan or Poland or wherever and that had long since leaked onto the internet.

Artificially extending seasons also why quarter hour shows are so popular with networks along with shows that don't have continuity; they can mix and match new and old episodes to make up half-hour blocks of programming and still promote it as a new episode.
>>
>>78325882
Not even going to lie, that is some supreme b8.
>>
>>78326029
i get this but they could do what netflix is doing complete 13 eps air them call it a season and then wait 7 months for the next one
>>
>>78325204
Least they're not Nick, who have their hiatus in the summer
>>
Meanwhile Teen Titans Go gets constant air time with full support for new eps

Kill me
>>
File: gm.jpg (5 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
gm.jpg
5 KB, 225x224
>>78325720
Surely it is business smart

Higher ratings (regardless of the tactics used to get them) will result in more premium advertisement space?
>>
>>78325995
For the most part that's not what's happening when it comes to cartoons. They're not just having hiatuses at normal times like holidays, they're airing episodes 5 days in a row for a week then going on hiatus for god knows how long then doing the same thing when it's back.

Gravity Falls is doing a hiatus of over a month at least between parts of their series finale. It's nonsense.
>>
But with DVRs haven't they finally found a way to get the ratings on those
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.