[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you depict something like this in a screenplay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
File: All-Star-Superman-1-2006.jpg (325 KB, 1024x1583) Image search: [Google]
All-Star-Superman-1-2006.jpg
325 KB, 1024x1583
How would you depict something like this in a screenplay?
>>
just describe the visuals
>>
>>78325111
You can't, it's a scene specifically made for the medium, not that a movie script devouring pleb such as yourself could understand.
>>
>>78325111
Exactly like that. Have Pa Kent narrate it. Or Jor-El. Whatever.
>>
the same way they write montage scenes, idk?
>>
>>78325111

What's wrong with how they did it here?

Shit worked for Sin City.
>>
I don't think you really can since you have to show the stuff between the panels too. Best you can do is just show the full parts of both scenes I'd think.

How did the animated movie do it? I can't remember.
>>
>>78325111
Its called a montage you retarded fuck.
>>
>>78325191
Uh...
"EXT KRYPTON, DAY
Panning shot of surface of Krypton being consumed by fire, earthquakes, bathed in red light.
NARRATOR (V.O): Doomed planet.
We see Jor-El and Lara hold together their last embrace as a planet fall apart around them.
NARRATOR (V.O): Desperate scientists.
EXT, SPACE
We see a small rocketship racing away from an exploding planet, evading debris that's already in the air.
NARRATOR (V.O) Last hope.
EXT, KANSAS, DAY
Shot from perspective of baby Kal-El from inside the ship he came in. First, darkness, then we see JOHN and MARTHA KENT opening up the rocket lid the let in the sun and let us get a good look at their faces.
NARRATOR (V.O) Kindly couple."

Bam, done, and I'm an amateur screenwriter.
Like, if you were asking what'd we do with captions? Replace them with voiceover, duh. Could be Jor-El, or Superman himself talking to the audience, or just hire a voice actor, it's not like films don't have narrators.
/thread
>>
>>78326238
You can't thread your own post.
>>
>>78326238
That's still not the same exact scene though. You are adding movement.
>>
>>78325780
It's better if Supes narrarates it while they introduce those scenes in the opening credits just like they did with Spider-Man's origin on Spider-Man 2 with Alex Ross' paintings, that was beautiful.
>>
>>78325780
I have Bruce Campbell's voice in my head.
>>
>>78326349
movement doesn't change the page at all
>>
>>78326901

That's because you, as any responsible citizen of America should, are watching Ash vs. Evil Dead.
>>
>>78326238
>/threading your own post

Disgusting
>>
>>78326349

You're being a shitty pedant. Honestly, Superman's origin is so universally well known that you don't even need the words for people to understand what's going on. Really the only time you'd need a more complete retelling is if Birthright were ever made into a movie. The ending absolutely needs an extended Krypton scene/introduction for the proper pay-off.
>>
>>78326238
But thats terrible and would be crazy hokey in movie form. Also you're losing the symmetry of the page. This page isn't a great example of comics as a medium though, there's a lot that can only be done in the medium but this page doesn't take much advantage of that.
>>
>potato people adopt a potato baby from the exploded potato planet
>>
>>78325111
I dunno, how did they write it in the cartoon?
>>
You can't do it well. Morrison writes very comicy comics that don't lend to adaptation,
>>
Brief memories of baby Superman. Quick flash of the meteor approaching, quick flash of his parents putting him into the capsule, quick flash of the planet's exploding light behind his rocket, quick flash of the Kents.
>>
>>78325111

>Slowed Superman theme starts playing

>[FADE IN]

>Shot of Krypton's surface a\s it cracks and begins to explode with lava.

>V.O of Superman: A doomed planet.

>[FADE OUT]

>[FADE IN]

>Shot of Jor El and Lara placing Clark in a shuttle and watching him be jettisoned into space.

>V.O of Superman: Two desperate scientists.

>[FADE OUT]

>[FADE IN]

>Shot of Clark's ship flying into space as Krypton explodes.

>V.O of Superman: Their last hope.

>[FADE OUT]

>[FADE IN]

>Shot of the pod being opened from Clark's point of view as the Kents look in at him with wonder.

>V.O of Superman: A kindly couple.

>[FADE OUT]

>Music reaches a crescendo and picks up to full speed.

>[OPENING CREDITS]
>>
>>78325111
No narration. Use a common idea as a reference point for scene changes. Krypton exploding to Jor-El & Lara's face as the rocket blasts off to Clark's face in the pod to crash landing on Earth to the Kents' faces. Any actual spoken words would ruin it.
>>
>>78326292
>>78328877
says who
>>
>>78329282
>there's a lot that can only be done in the medium
Like what?
>>
>>78330050

Like your mom.
>>
>>78330050
Lots of layered stuff where non diagetic text gives the corresponding image multiple meanings and vice versa. Especially in aspect to aspect or parallel sequences. Seeing all the information both sequentially and simultaneously is necessary for a full read.
>>
>>78330139
You could easily do that in film.
>>
File: Fun-Home-03.jpg (302 KB, 2000x1380) Image search: [Google]
Fun-Home-03.jpg
302 KB, 2000x1380
>>78330163
Not really. Here's a good example from Fun Home, perhaps the best modern graphic novel. The text and images reinforce each other and create multiple reads, but this is only possible because you can see all the panels and text at once and read through them in sequence. The ability to go back and forth between caption and image also allows for more complex reads of the page, something that is not possible with voice over or moving images.
>>
>>78330319
Also the combination of nondiagetic text and diagetic speech, again available both simultaneously and sequentially to the viewer is unique to the medium.
>>
>>78330319
That comic is shit.
>>
>>78330367

How so?
>>
>>78330319
pretentious garbage
>>
>>78330422

How is it garbage? What about it is pretentious?
>>
File: 02-03.jpg (640 KB, 2048x1559) Image search: [Google]
02-03.jpg
640 KB, 2048x1559
HARD CUT:

Wide shot of SURFACE OF KRYPTON alight with BURSTING VOLCANOS and BRIGHT RED AND YELLOW LIGHT, with SPACESHIPS flying about above the surface.

HARD CUT:

Title Card: DOOMED PLANET.

HARD CUT:

TWO KRYPTONIANS, husband JOR-EL and wife LARA holding each other tight as KRYPTON behind them implodes into a bursting white light. Tears well in their eyes as they look up in the sky.

HARD CUT:

Title card: DESPERATE SCIENTISTS.

HARD CUT:

A wide shot of THE DEBRIS OF KRYPTON floating in the void of space. A SMALL SPACESHIP, covered in spikes and stabilizers, flies safely through the rubble towards an unknown destination.

HARD CUT:

Title card: LAST HOPE.

HARD CUT:

A point-of-view shot. Bathed in red fabric and sunlight, a hand pulls up the cloth to reveal sunlight. Looking up, we see A YOUNG COUPLE, farmers JONATHAN and MARTHA KENT, looking down at what they have found.

HARD CUT:

Title card: KINDLY COUPLE.

HARD CUT:

Wide shot of the SURFACE OF THE SUN AND ITS CORONA. Behind the horizon and gliding effortlessly towards us, SUPERMAN appears, arms stretched and cape flowing. He is bathed in the sun's light from above, shadowing his face and his costume's familiar logo, but the determination in his eyes is still clearly seen.
>>
>>78330452
the tone and the autobiographical content no one gives a shit about
>>
From the child's perspective - put the second frame first, eyes opening and closing at about the speed of the heartbeat, as he launches you get the last shots of his parents watching him ascend, eyes close on next opening he's far enough to see the scope of the planet's destruction, as he exits the atmosphere the screen goes black, this is held for a while, eyes open, blue skies, close again, open, see the Kents.

No narration, no score, maybe the sound of either one of the child's functions (e.g. heartbeat/breathing) or the sound of the 'transporter' but that may be hokey.

Ideally maximise the symmetry between the two planets.
>>
>>78330646

>I don't care about it therefor no one else cares about it
>>
>>78330646

>no one gives a shit about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_Home#Reviews_and_awards
>>
>>78330667
I guess if you're a dull loser you might care about it
>>
>>78330700

>I didn't like this book, therefor the only people that do are losers
>>
>>78330367
>>78330422
This is why we need three boards, on for /toons/ one for /capeshit/ and one for /comics/

Then people who like comics can talk about comics and people who like supermovies can scream at each other.
>>
>>78330713
It's a pretty boring comic dude
>>
>>78330742
It's incredibly well crafted and though the story is not especially grand in scale or fast moving its depth and intimacy make it pretty darn interesting.
>>
>>78330319
>this comic is untranslatable in medium
>it's also a broadway play
It's not the best modern graphic novel, and it is far from untranslatable.
>>
>>78330717
>>78330812
>Fun Home was required reading at my community college therefore it's a flawless comic
>>
>>78330852

Yes, Fun Home is taught in some community college classes. It's also taught in some university classes. So is Watchmen, and an uncountable number of other novels and comics.

What's your point?
>>
>>78330050

look at oblivion, it's an adaption of a graphic novel, the film tries very hard to be 'true' to the novel, it withholds a huge amount of information, and then tries to give you a big twist, only instead of doing this once ( which in film is about the best you can manage ) they try and get about 5 different twists in. you can have multiple twists in a comic book, because it's coming out in a serial format, or it's in distinct chapters or books that have a feel of standing alone, also readers can review the previous pages or issues if they missed something. You can't do any of that in a film, you have a limited amount of time, the information you communicate to the viewer HAS to read in one go, you have one core story to tell, and you only have one good shot at a twist or your over doing it.

not to say their aren't ways you could experiment in film to try and achieve these things, it's just not a clear recipe for a great film.
>>
>>78330886
The point is it' overrated/over analyzed shit
>>
>>78330841
It was ADAPTED into a broadway play, and while I'm sure it's probably very good I'm also sure it's very different. It probably loses a lot through adaptation and gains a lot of other things from the different medium. >>78330852
>Fun Home was required reading at my community college therefore it's a flawless comic
Fun Home was recommended reading at my ivy league college and its' a very good comic
>>
>>78330944

What about it makes it overrated or overanalyzed?
>>
>>78330963
>Ivy League
as if that's impressive these days
>>
>>78330963
I will give it to you that it is a well written narrative, but to put forth that it is tries to use the sequential art medium to it's full advantage is not true. It is well written but that is all, it could have been just a novel and nothing would have changed in the narrative.
>>
>>78330978
already went over that think of another question
>>
>>78331033

You have? Where? Was it when you said that anyone that likes it is a dull loser, or was it when you insinuated that, because it's taught in community colleges, it's a bad book? Was it when you couldn't tell me how it's pretentious, or when you said that no one gives a shit about its content for the mere fact that you don't care about its content?
>>
>>78331024
I disagree. This comic uses the combination of words and pictures in a fat more complex and meaningful way than most. It uses the two in tandem to evoke greater meaning from both rather than simply illustrating the story, as most comics do.
>>
>>78331084
I disagree with your disagreement. As a comparison to the Big Two maybe but not sequential art as a whole.
>>
>>78331066
I didn't even read this post. Do you have autism?
>>
>>78331111

>I can't defend my opinion or use words that I understand the meaning of, so I'm just going to insult you, rather than admit that I don't actually know what I'm talking about, or just stop posting in general.
>>
>>78331109
Fair enough, but the big two are most of comics. Also if it were just a novel it wouldn't have half of the content it does and while the basic narrative might have been about the same it wouldn't be nearly as good.

What comics would you say do use the medium to its full potential?
>>
>>78331148
I already answered all your questions now you just want to argue for the sake of arguing
>>
>>78329282
>crazy hokey in movie form
You think it's not hokey in comic form?
>>
>>78331216
Fair enough
>>
>>78331207

When and where did you answer any of the questions in a satisfactory way? Do you understand what it means to actually answer a question?
>>
>>78331173
Honestly when people ask me that question the only answer I can give is Asterios Polyp. It is the only comic that I have read that I can say is only able to read in sequential art.
>>
>>78331308
Asterois Polyp is really fantastic, I agree. Any others that really impressed you with their use of the medium, even if they aren't the end all be all of comics?
>>
>>78331256
Why are you still going? Is this your postmodern education at work?
>>
>>78329749
Says people that aren't faggots.
>>
A better question is, who has Hawkman's page like this?
>>
File: FROGS.jpg (1 MB, 1390x987) Image search: [Google]
FROGS.jpg
1 MB, 1390x987
>>78331430
This one page comic by Steranko is probably number 2 behind Asterios.
A lot of the old EC stuff plus the some of the "Mainstream going underground" stuff in witzend
>>
>>78325111
giant smoking bad dragon dildos
>>
>>78331679
holy fucking shit that was amazing

goddamn, what i'd do to own some original steranko work...
>>
>>78331679
>>78331797
>no, you are the frogs
ok nerds
>>
>>78331857
The point is you can read it anyway, left to right, up to down, forwards, backwards, diagonal.
>>
>>78326238
You're worst than amateur. I'd put you down by page 2. Ain't no air in space.

In any case the other anons are right; you're not writing a screenplay page, you're writing a comic book page. It's not enough to have the narrator tell us the Kents are a kindly couple, for example: you have to show us they are kindly. All you've written is "a good look at their faces". We don't know anything about them; you've managed to put even less in this scene than we assume was in the script of the comic book it was based on, which has an easy job because it's just freeze-frames of famous movie scenes anyway.

You've done so little work and relied so heavily on others to do the heavy lifting that I really, really want to hit you with a stack of unreadable scripts.
>>
>>78325111
More lasers and people dieing, maybe the space pod has a weapon system that has to shoot its way out of trouble on the way to earth.
>>
File: animalman24page16detail.jpg (63 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
animalman24page16detail.jpg
63 KB, 500x430
>>78325111
You really can't. It's one of the unique things comics can do. The whole "frozen fragments of time occupying the same space" kind of deal.

A person can be alive in one panel and dead the next while they're both on the same page.
>>
>>78332216
>Animal Man
now that's something that would be fun to try to adapt to live action
>>
File: 1339864172134.gif (467 KB, 606x423) Image search: [Google]
1339864172134.gif
467 KB, 606x423
>>78325111
>>
File: 24_Split_Screen[1].jpg (54 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
24_Split_Screen[1].jpg
54 KB, 624x352
>>78332216
>>
>>78329282
You could do cuts for each panel, or you could do fade out fade in or a combination of each. See things are going to be different because it has to adapt the material to a medium that has movement and sound. The transfer of comic panels to movie scenes is relative. Since they are both at the base visual mediums they can codify a similar visual language even though they remain distinct.
>>
>>78331432

I'm more confused and abstractly interested. I mean, I don't think I've ever met anyone who I assume is an adult who cannot actually answer a question. You should be a politician.
>>
>>78332373
Yeah, but all those are in motion.

They also tried that in Green Hornet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDWBLUnDJE
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.