[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone on /co/ know why action toy-line based cartoons died
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: he-man.jpg (28 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
he-man.jpg
28 KB, 400x306
Does anyone on /co/ know why action toy-line based cartoons died out? Things like He-Man, Transformers, Wheeled Warriors, Thundercats, etc.
>>
Kids these days who could afford such toys are all about them smartphones and shit.
>>
They're probably seen as misogynist for being so heavily marketed to boys.
>>
because Lego, videogames and japanese cardgames
>>
>>78269828
Fell I'll to the SJW femishit disgusting virus.
>>
>>78270031
ill*
>>
>>78269828
Transformers is still on.
>>
>>78269828
Action shows in general, be they toy-related or not, are dead.
All that's left standing is TMNT.

RIP in peace GI Joe Renegades, you were too good for this world.
>>
With the various modern media, an animated series with a toyline isn't a reliable investment unless you're an already established franchise.

>>78270031
>>78269978
Shut up.
>>
If I had kids I wouldn't let them fall for the same marketing ploys they used on me when I was small.

Although the fact I don't have kids makes the answer a lot simpler I suppose.
>>
>>78269828
They died out?

>>78270023
Lego has plenty of action.

>>78270082
>>78270076
These, and Clone Wars/Rebels; and I guess others.

Are we sure OP isn't conflating cartoons that were made in different years for flash-in-the-pan toylines and continued in reruns long after they stopped making the toys with a long-ago glut of action cartoons?

OP, here's the thing: most toylines don't take. You have to be really, really sure something is going to still be around after Christmas before you invest millions of dollars in making a cartoon of it; that means you need to know what the second wave, third wave, fourth wave plans are before the end of the first.

The fact is, it was always a big financial risk and probably you're looking at the decision of studios and toy manufacturers to kill investment because it wasn't cost-effective across all the lines they were doing it with. Now, a park owner like Disney or Universal could do more, because they could sell the rides/attractions along with the merchandise, and that adds another layer of excitement to it. In fact Disney spent a decade doing that with Pirates, and is doing it right now with Star Wars.

So to answer your question, OP, because they found better ways to make money, which is the only reason anybody ever invested in them.
>>
The Transformers, Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Robots in Disguise, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Transformers Animated, Transformers Prime, Rescue Bots, Robots in Disguise 2015...

Transformers has been around constantly since its resurrection in the mid-90s.
>>
>>78269828

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyetic
> Toyetic is a term referring to the suitability of a media property, such as a cartoon or movie, for merchandising tie-in lines of licensed toys, games and novelties.
> The number of toyetic shows waned after 1990 when the United States Congress passed the Children's Television Act which required content to include educational and instructional material for children, and targeted the type of commercial advertising that could accompany these shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Television_Act
> The Children's Television Act is a rule that was enacted in 1990 by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the United States, which was designed to increase the amount of educational children's programming on television.
>>
>>78270121
not them, but they're right.

so, YOU shut up, you purple-haired walrus.
>>
>>78269828
Cable. It ruined tv, which ruined kids, which ruined ratings, which ruined advertising for toys, which ruined Saturday morning cartoons and afternoon cartoons.
>>
TMNT is huge, but it won't last.

Transformers and Star Wars live on, but mainly because theres a huge adult fanbase too.
>>
>>78270285

Ah, thanks! OP here, this was the sort of information I was looking for.
>>
>>78270285
This. The Children's Television Act is why Saturday morning cartoons don't exist any more. Modern programming must meet the Educational/Informational standard.
>>
>>78270933

Don't forget some law that limited the amount of food commercials that can be aimed at kids.

No cereal or snack food commercials = there goes half the advertising.
>>
>>78270933
In fairness it had to meet that standard before Reagan as well. If it weren't for Mark Fowler's obsession with the invisible hand being allowed to stroke your children before you get up on a saturday morning, the 80s would have been a very different decade for children.
>>
>>78269828
Because they were god awful?
>>
File: 1443330305931.jpg (56 KB, 218x381) Image search: [Google]
1443330305931.jpg
56 KB, 218x381
>>78271429
>>
>>78269828
Videogames
>>
>>78269828
Videogames took over that demographic
>>
File: 1428686884842.gif (1 MB, 288x198) Image search: [Google]
1428686884842.gif
1 MB, 288x198
>>78270432
>but they're right
>>
>>78270830
>TMNT is huge, but it won't last
Yeah, because I'm so sure it's just gonna disappear after lasting about 30 years at this point. Shut up, Boco!
>>
Transformers still comes on.

almost every HUB show is for merchandising Esp Little pet shop and MLP

Nick still has some shows for merchandising while Disney doesnt care anymore.

It hasnt died out its just shifted around. Now alot of Toy-line crap comes from animated movies like Minions or Frozen
>>
>>78269828
>ben10
>tmnt
>endless hasbro shit
And I don't watch cartoons
>>
>>78272663
fun is a buzzword
>>
>>78273421
You're a buzzword!
>>
>>78272906
You do know Hub is dead right?
>>
>>78272906

>HUB

yeah.. hub died last year... its now discovery family...

yet another tard who cant keep up with the changing times
>>
>>78269828

Kids don't buy toys.

Kids don't WANT toys.

Kids want video games. Toys are the lame gift your grandma buys you because she's old and doesn't know better.
>>
>>78272756

I mean it'll go into another period of hibernation, wise guy.

Ebbs and flows.
>>
>>78269828
It was killed by the Children's Television Act of 1990, which put the kibosh on shows specifically designed to advertise stuff. It was okay to have a show with toys, but a show based on toys was stretching the limits.

Women had nothing to do with it. Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, She-Ra, and the original horses were targeted to little girls.
>>
File: toyz.png (50 KB, 1200x774) Image search: [Google]
toyz.png
50 KB, 1200x774
>>78269828
You done yet
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.