[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Superman: Birthright it's explained that Clark is a vegetarian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 3101197-brcover.jpg (44 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
3101197-brcover.jpg
44 KB, 400x600
In Superman: Birthright it's explained that Clark is a vegetarian because he holds himself to such a high standard and preserves all life. Are there any other superheroes who are vegan/vegetarian?
>>
Plants are living things too.
>>
Beast Boy is a vegetarian.
>>
>>78246598
Wolverine
>>
>>78246598
Vixen, Animal Man
>>
>>78246609
He can see a person or animal's soul (if you want to call it that) fade away when they die. It's different for plants.
>>
>>78246687
that's retarded
>>
File: clark loves the hamboigas.png (860 KB, 1280x723) Image search: [Google]
clark loves the hamboigas.png
860 KB, 1280x723
>>78246598
I love you Waid but if Clark don't eat cheeseburgers you're dead to me.
>>
>>78246687
what about swamp thing, he's clearly sentient.
>>
>>78246787
You'd think Waid of all people would know his favorite meal is beef bouillon. Might as well make him from Mars if you're going to change that.
>>
>>78246787
Why would Superman even need to eat?
>>
>>78246871
Cause it's tasty
>>
>>78246598
Kryptonians are evolved from plants.
Clark isn't being noble he's a cannibal.
Swamp Thing better watch his ass....
>>
>>78246871
for the emotional benefits
>>
>Part of looking forward entails adapting aspects of characters to modern times and one of these added nuances that seem to upset some vocal fans was the decision to show Clark Kent as a vegetarian. "I was pretty shocked, as well, to be honest, but I think the reason some fans seemed 'offended' by it was because one or two vocal Internet 'fans' with axes to grind tried to paint this as some sort of preachy moral issue, which it simply isn't," says Waid in response to the rude comments put forth regarding the creator's intentions.

>"The notion began for me when I was a kid, when I read Elliot Maggin's amazing 'Superman' novels ('Last Son of Krypton' and 'Miracle Monday'), the latter of which makes a point of how Superman's alien eyes, which can see microwaves and UV radiation, perceive an unearthly, indescribable color around all living things--a halo of sorts. Elliot used that idea to great effect in 'Miracle Monday' to help explain Superman's utter reverence for life, and with Elliot's permission and encouragement, I brought it into play in 'Birthright.' To Superman, there is nothing more beautiful than the glow around living creatures--and nothing more awful and repellent than the wilted, black absence of that glow around creatures that once were vibrant. That said--well, it makes sense to me that Superman wouldn't deliberately kill animals to eat them. He'd certainly never impose that belief on others--it's his choice, it's one made from a very unique circumstance, and no one understands the virtue of tolerance more than an extraterrestrial living as one of us--but it speaks to how he and he alone sees the world."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=3256
>>
>>78247038
>it makes sense to me that Superman wouldn't deliberately kill animals to eat them

Since when does ANYONE do that in a metropolitan city like Metropolis?
>>
File: birthright-broccolihead.jpg (365 KB, 989x1531) Image search: [Google]
birthright-broccolihead.jpg
365 KB, 989x1531
>>78247059
>>
>>78247148
That's a stupid situation to put him in
>>
Wonder Woman was vegetarian in Rucka's run because her chef was a minotaur
>>
>>78247038

Superman can see animal souls.
he is also an alien, not human.
Humans are the same as other animals to him.

thus, Supergirl can have sex with her horse if she wants to.
>>
Animal Man
>>
>>78246871
He doesn't, it just tastes good
>>
>>78247316
Which is why making him a vegetarian is stupid
He ears purely for pleasure
>>
>>78247389
nope
see >>78247148
>>
>>78246871
Why WOULDN'T he? I mean, aside from the Silver Age where he's basically in full-on God Mode all the time, Supes is portrayed as being capable of exerting himself, and of being exhausted. Why WOULDN'T he need sustenance?
>>
>>78248411
If anything, he should be a big eater ala Goku or the Flash.
>>
>>78248411
cuz he's solar powered
>>
>>78248447
So are most living things on Earth. He's not a fucking plant, he can't live on photosynthesis alone. You can't make fucking muscle tissue from sunlight.
>>
>>78248526
except yes cuz its like alien solar biology and stuff
>>
>>78246598
That's dumb I thought Clark didn't even have to eat if he didn't want to.
>>
>>78247148
So that absence of a halo is present on a cheeseburger or a steak?
>>
>>78248622
Whatever nigga. As far as I'm concerned, that shit don't matter, it's just an excuse for why he has superpowers.

>"Impossible, you say? Not so! Ants can lift hundreds of time their own weight!"
>"HUMANOID ANATOMY DOESN'T WORK LIKE FUCKING ANTS!"
>"Alright then, he fucking runs on yellow sunlight, what do you want from me?"

The point is that I feel he should just be human, but with superpowers, and that removing a vital human element from him simply because "muh sunlight" shows you're more interested in Supes as alien than in Supes as man. And that I guess comes down to personal preference, but a SHITLOAD of people seem to want Supes to be relatably human.
>>
>>78248797
>sunlight gives him enough energy to lift a million billion pounds
>still needs an extra 2000 calories a day to live off of
>>
>>78247038
>>preachy moral issue
Well, when you have a paragon of virtue like Superman say eating anything that was once alive is an awful, ugly thing that makes him sad, then it does kind of come off that way.
>>
>>78248843
...because it's true for him? he's always refused to kill. and if every version of superman had soul vision then every version of him would be vegetarian.
>>
>>78246609
THIS a million times, THIS. I can buy Superman being able to see the "life force" of all living things, but I can't buy that plants just don't have one, especially when Swamp Thing/The Green exists in the same universe.
>>
I could dig him eating only ethically-farmed meat, proper free-range and all. Do you think he gets beef care packages from Ma & Pa?
>>
Damian is a vegetarian.
>>
>>78248842
Sunlight gives him the ability to do it not the means
>>
>>78249318
Do the Kents even raise cattle? I'm pretty sure their farm is too small to have more than 10 head, maybe. But I could see them mailing Clark whole slabs of jerked or chilled venison when it's buck season.
>>
>>78246598
That is retarded. Even vegans/vegetarians consume thousands of microorganisms a day so to say that they don't eat living animals is a lie. Superman, with his microscopic vision would be able to plainly see all the little critters he's consuming, so he would be a hypocrite because he would only care about animals above a certain size.
>>
File: 1446074193091.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1446074193091.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
The vegetarian thing in Birthright was such a weird thing to me because it seemed like nobody else working on anything Superman-related at the time or after the fact seemed to care, and any time you saw him eating a meal that wasn't breakfast he was always eating meat.

Shit, here's New 52 Clark eating beef tacos from a few months ago.
>>
I really don't understand why so many people got their panties in a twist over this. It makes sense for Superman, who holds all sentient life in such high regard, to be a vegetarian.
>>
>>78248797
Except it gets used in the opposite way: to show his humanity. He eats because he grew up eating home cooked meals and enjoys it. The whole thing isn't about highlighting that he's an alien, if anything it builds on the theme of how much he's human in spite of his DNA.

Basically you sound Luthor as fuck right now by how much you're missing the point.
>>
>>78250448

>maybe not the best use of my last bit of cash, but man, these tacos!

I have never seen a superhero more relatable until this very moment
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.