[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't heroes from Earth-3/the Antimatter Universe get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
File: justice underground.png (748 KB, 492x993) Image search: [Google]
justice underground.png
748 KB, 492x993
Why can't heroes from Earth-3/the Antimatter Universe get an ongoing or a miniseries?

Or even a cameo?

Or a passing mention.

I'll take about anything at this point.
>>
File: wilson.png (2 MB, 511x1917) Image search: [Google]
wilson.png
2 MB, 511x1917
>>
File: trin_45_009.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1975) Image search: [Google]
trin_45_009.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1975
>>
File: cptsfrpcs_017.jpg (918 KB, 1280x1987) Image search: [Google]
cptsfrpcs_017.jpg
918 KB, 1280x1987
>>
>>78240452
There's no way DC will do anything there since Earth 3 is fucked right now
>>
Which issues are these from? I kind of want to read about them more.
>>
>>78241236
source?
>>
File: justice underground.png (3 MB, 1024x1191) Image search: [Google]
justice underground.png
3 MB, 1024x1191
>>78243256
I actually don't know a whole lot about Earth-3 stories as Earth-3 was created long before the Antimatter Earth and there's more material to look through, so I can't say much about it other than pointing you to the Crises which had Alexander Luthor Jr. and "Countdown: The Search for Ray Palmer" which had the Jokester.

Whatever you do, DON'T BOTHER READING "Justice League of America: Omega" by James Robinson, who didn't know the difference between Earth 3 and the Antimatter Earth, and used details from both in his version of the Syndicate. Also the story was shit anyway.

For the Antimatter Universe, you'll want "JLA: Earth 2" by Grant Morrison, "Syndicate Rules" by Kurt Busiek, and the weekly "Trinity" series which was also by Busiek.

...There's also a few issues from Adventures of Superman where the Crime Syndicate barges into the Fortress of Solitude to murder a baby, but it's pretty tangential, annoying to find, and the art is fucking weird.

It's also worth mentioning is that plot points from Busiek's "JLA/Avengers" lead into Syndicate Rules and Trinity, but the Animatter Universe is only barely included, so it's up to you if you want to read it.

For a fun non-canon one-shot with the Deadpool parody character, read Superman/Batman Annual #1 (2006). Technically I don't believe it specifies whether the version of the Crime Syndicate is from Earth 3 or the Antimatter Universe, but it's noncanon so it doesn't matter either way.

>>78243469
Countdown Presents: The Search for Ray Palmer #1: Crime Society
>>
>>78243637
thanks anon, also nothing is canon anymore, but everything is. omniverse
>>
>>78243256
OP's image has:

JLA: Earth 2 in which Morrison and Quitely introduced the Antimatter version of the Crime Syndicate and Luthor.

Second image is from Superman/Batman Annual #1 by Joe Kelly and various artists where it retells the first time Superman and Batman learned each others' identities and throws in some of the Crime Syndicate and the Antimatter Earth version of Deathstroke, who's obviously supposed to be Deadpool. But the ending leaves it up to you to decide if it's canonical or not.

However in >>78240624 Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley have a different take on the Antimatter version of Slade Wilson. >>78241093 is also another page from Trinity.

The page in >>78241236 is from a Countdown special that focused on Earth-3 instead of the Antimatter universe and was about the Jokester, the Earth-3 good guy version of the Joker.
>>
How many Earth-3/Antimatter stories have there been?

I only know of the Morrison one, Forever Evil, and the Crisis on Two Earths movie. And the old ass Crime Syndicate stories from way back.

Apart from that it's just been small little arcs every now and then right? My friend is convinced that almost all of DC's major stories involve those guys.
>>
>>78243637
>I actually don't know a whole lot about Earth-3 stories as Earth-3 was created long before the Antimatter Earth and there's more material to look through, so I can't say much about it other than pointing you to the Crises which had Alexander Luthor Jr. and "Countdown: The Search for Ray Palmer" which had the Jokester.

The Pre-Crisis Earth-3 simply had a Crime Syndicate, a good Luthor, and some differences (American Christopher Columbus discovers Europe, England won freedom from America in a Revolutionary War, and actor Abraham Lincoln shot President John Wilkes Booth), but on the whole Earth-3 seemed about the same as other Earths.

The other thing about the Pre-Crisis Crime Syndicate is that they were criminals that merely looted, they didn't appear to have any intentionally murderous intent. This was actually something I was glad Brian Buccellato got right in the Convergence Crime Syndicate mini since he was using the Pre-Crisis Crime Syndicate.

Morrison's Antimatter Earth took things further and was more like a complete opposite, a much more nastier Earth in contrast to the main DCU. Subsequent writers took on this interpretation when they continued the Antimatter Earth or the rebooted Earth-3s, which I think is a good take as long as they don't use it for the Pre-Crisis version.

The Pre-Crisis Earth-3 reading list:

Justice League of America #29-30 (the first Earth-3 story, where the Crime Syndicate first encounters the Justice League on Earth-1 and the Justice Society on Earth-2)
Secret Society of Super-Villains #13-14
Justice League of America #207-209, All Star Squadron #14-15 (five part crossover involving the JLA and the JSA--or rather, All-Star Squadron--having to stop Per Degaton and the Crime Syndicate)
DC Comics Presents Annual #1 (introduces Earth-3's Lex Luthor)
Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 (the final appearance of Earth-3 and the Crime Syndicate)
>>
>>78243730
>My friend is convinced that almost all of DC's major stories involve those guys.

I don't think it does but it feels like it. Countdown had the Crime Society and Jokester, the Antimatter Earth and Crime Syndicate showed up in Busiek's JLA and Trinity, Ultraman appeared in Final Crisis, and Robinson's JLA used a version of them. There was also a Brave and the Bold issue with Ultraman and the Antimatter or Earth-3 counterpart to Mxyzptlk. And of course, there's Forever Evil.
>>
File: jlasfo2004_dv_p32.jpg (500 KB, 1024x1615) Image search: [Google]
jlasfo2004_dv_p32.jpg
500 KB, 1024x1615
>>78243659
Yeah, I was talking from a pre-New 52 perspective.

The New 52 has been pretty frustrating for me, as I really like what was going on with the Antimatter Universe prior to the reboot. Unfortunately, (ignoring an errant heroic Dr. Sivanna that cameo'd during Multiversity) there's been no indication of an Antimatter Earth or any other universe besides Earth 3 with a reverse-morality gimmick. Qward made an appearance in Sinestro and later Justice League, but then fucking Bat-God had to declare that there's no free will anywhere in the Antimatter Universe, which to me sounds like there probably won't be an alternate Earth there any time soon.

Earth 3's been destroyed (the Syndicate that appeared in Convergence I assumed to merely be an older version of Earth 3), so right now there doesn't seem to be any room for heroic versions of villains, whom I have historically found to be much more interesting to read about than the villainous versions of heroes.

Like, it seems to me that what often happens when the Crime Syndicate gets written, is that them being Villains gets prioritized over every other potential part of their characters. "Okay guys, this is the moral opposite of Supes, Bats, and Wondy. We gotta make them eeeeviiillll." And so most of the time with the Syndicate you just get a group of people who will always make the douchiest decision possible at every opportunity. Which, to me, makes them insufferably boring.
>>
>>78243730
>>78244016
There are so many events in DC's history that you could make the same arguement for almost any character. All major stories involve Joker/Darkseid/Luthor/Condiment King/etc.
>>
>>78244026
>Like, it seems to me that what often happens when the Crime Syndicate gets written, is that them being Villains gets prioritized over every other potential part of their characters. "Okay guys, this is the moral opposite of Supes, Bats, and Wondy. We gotta make them eeeeviiillll." And so most of the time with the Syndicate you just get a group of people who will always make the douchiest decision possible at every opportunity. Which, to me, makes them insufferably boring.

I think that's why I thought the Convergence Crime Syndicate mini was refreshing. They were generally just villainous dicks but they kind of liked each other and were more out to steal shit rather than massacre people.

I still like Morrison's Antimatter Earth and there were still some things about subsequent takes on the Crime Syndicate I liked, though.
>>
File: enigma.png (1 MB, 420x1412) Image search: [Google]
enigma.png
1 MB, 420x1412
Enigma's a cool dude. Damn shame he'll probably never appear again.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.