[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think the movie gained anything by having dinosaur main
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: image_008fe539.png (2 MB, 1417x797) Image search: [Google]
image_008fe539.png
2 MB, 1417x797
Do you think the movie gained anything by having dinosaur main characters? Could the story still have been told if they weren't dinosaurs?
>>
Yes, but then it would be too much like Ice Age
>>
They gained toy sales.
>>
No. It's just your average "Boy and his dog" western like Old Yeller, but with a Dinosaur gimmick.
>>
I'd argue that it would have been a better movie if not for the dinosaur motif. Westerns are cool.
>>
>>78228456
The movie wasn't made to tell the story, it was to develop their in-house software further while having the movie budget for it and train the b team.
>>
Sanjay's Super Team is the worst pixar short there ever was.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 488x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 488x410
>>78228456
What disappointed me was how little role of the humans was. I mean, you could basically swap that little boy with a dog-like creature or some shit and the story wouldn't differ much.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 1024x759) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 1024x759
>>78228706
Really? I thought it was GOAT. The characters's eyeballs size was unsettling but that's it.
>>
>>78228706
Lava was much worse
>>
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2015/12/07/by-thinning-quot-the-good-dinosaur-quot-s-herd-pixar-animation-studios-wound-up-with-a-far-better-film.aspx

Original plot was an Amish community of multiple dinosaur species working together to farm the land and Arlo being a young adult more interested in venturing out of Amishasaurus Country and studying the "insects" (The cavepeople had a bug motif in how they dressed) interfering with the harvest and then befriending and naming one of these pests Spot.
>>
>>78228456
The green dinosaur looked too goofy. his knobby knees, retarded elephant feet, and it yuck mouth jar jar face really kill the general look of this movie where the scenery is one of the best i've personally seen from pixar and then i have to look at that goofy abomination. i'd pirate it later but surely does't look worth buying the ticket.
>>
>>78228456
>>78228739
why are the models so goddamn cartoony? even the toys in toy story had more realism to them

this is fucking ridiculous
>>
>>78228901
>>78228898
The idea was to humanize the dinosaurs by making them really stylized and make the reversed boy and his dog dynamic read better.

Like you're supposed to look at Arlo and see a young boy and not just a dinosaur.
>>
>>78229008
Well, it didn't work.
>>
>>78228901
I don't want to assume you are trolling
But you are complaining about a kids cartoon movie looking cartoony
>>
>>78228709
But wasn't that the point of the movie though?
An "a boy and his pet on a grand adventure" kinda tale
I mean it isn't the most creative idea, but people never complained when they made Robin Hood with anthros.
>>
>>78229169
not him but i agree, they are so cartoony that its hard to sympathize with them when im supposed too, they look too fake to imagine them as real.
>>
>>78229449
Any more cartoony than something like A Bugs Life or any of the Toy Storys?

I mean I'm saying this movie as good as Toy Story, but I don't see the art as more crazy than theirs.
>>
>>78228820
I thought the original original idea was a world where dinosaurs became the dominant species on earth and advanced until the point of modern day civilization, only with dinosaurs instead of people, and humans were going to be pests like housemice.

And then after that they decided to tone it down and make the dinos amish.
>>
>>78229058
Yeah, I don't look at Arlo and think "I want to sympathize with this cute child character." I see him and think "What a retarded dinosaur plushie design."
>>
>>78228456
If anything, the reverse was the problem. There was no reason in having "the meteor missed" if the only human acts like any other animal.
>>
>>78229449
I empathized and sympathized fine with the characters, but the color palette of the dinosaurs looked freakishly garish next to the gorgeous photorealistic backdrops. Like a terrible shop because of the pixels and seeing a lot of shops in my time sorta deal.
>>
>>78228901
Because the "realistic" people in Toy Story looked horrifying.
>>
>>78228456
The human boy looks weird with the "pacman" head design.
>>
>>78228739
>Their eyeballs are unsettling

Then why is it that their NOSES are bothering me much much worse?
>>
>>78230715
Andy and Bonnie were adorable wtf are you talking about?
>>
In contrast to most people, Arlo's design grew on me rather quickly.

It's every other character design in the movie that I couldn't stand.
>>
>>78228706
It can't be much worse than Lava.
>>
>>78233409
I'd say Butch was the best design in the movie. Had a fantastic grizzled, wise old badass quality that went perfectly with Sam Elliott's voice.
>>
Why are all cg movies afraid of going for better visual styles? Instead of stuff like Tintin or Rango, it's always ultra low detail, awful looking junk that looks like they all passed around the same artists.
>>
>>78228739
>Pajeet, my son
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
>>78233355
Yea nah
>>
>>78234016
Tintin looked ugly to me, and not in an interesting way like Rango.
>>
>Have a movie with fucking T-REX RANCHERS
>AND YOU MAKE YOUR PROTAGONIST A FUCKING WHINY LITTLE FARM BOY HERBIVORE

HOW
HOW DO YOU FUCK UP SO HARD?
>>
>>78229205
>I mean it isn't the most creative idea, but people never complained when they made Robin Hood with anthros.
This is someone who's got the right idea if I do say so myself.
>>
>>78229205
>>78234560
Disney's Robin Hood was and is painfully generic and reusing character designs from other Disney movies didn't help
>>
>>78234370
>the only dinosaur cartoon to appear with a carnivore protag came from japan
>>
>>78228706
I felt this way too. Even as saccharine as Lava was, Sanjay's was just boring and pandering.
It wasn't even creative. Somehow, against all odds, makes Hindu gods battling a demon seem lame.
>>
>>78234123
>1995
Try again with the most recent example, fucknut
>>
>>78237355
Is it really pandering when it's a personal semi-autobiographical story?
>>
>>78237405
He said Toy Story, not Toy Story 3.
>>
>>78233543
>sem elliott voices a t-rex
allllright then typing in www. fan dang o dot com....
>>
>>78228456
Why do people keep asking this question? Would there have been some better species to use to tell this story?

I saw the movie as, in part, an excuse for animators to show off a lot of prehistoric landscapes and animal designs. The film used it's setting well enough, so why is this a problem?
>>
File: Replicant.jpg (35 KB, 600x264) Image search: [Google]
Replicant.jpg
35 KB, 600x264
>>78237405
As this anon said:
>>78238926

But in any case, going for realism has a few problems:
>It looks creepy
>It ages like Milk in a hyperbolic time chamber
>It begs the question of why not just use live actors

The humans in the Toy Story movies got more cartoony in each installment, because Pixar realized that going for realistic humans was a bad idea.
>>
>>78233543
That voice... I kept getting an urge to leave the theatre and go buy a Dodge Ram.
>>
>>78241320
TS1+2 humans are nightmare freaks compared to TS3.
>>
>>78241243
I don't think it's inherently a problem to make your universe different from ours for no narrative reason, but that generally hasn't been Pixar's thing. There's usually been some narrative justification for the talking fish, bugs, or rats, some storytelling motivation for the sentient toys or superheroes or emotional robots. I think people have come to expect that from Pixar and were disappointed when it wasn't there. That's certainly how I felt, anyway.

I didn't hate The Good Dinosaur, but there was nothing there that I didn't feel like I'd already seen before, but better. Well, I do like the idea of dinosaurs being agricultural, but that probably isn't a very popular opinion. And the scenery really is gorgeous. I was blown away by a single shot of some grass in the wind, holy shit that fucking grass. I have the same feelings about Sanjay's Super Team. I have a soft spot for father-son bonding stories, and I thought it looked pretty. But nothing new or unique at all.

I came out of the theater really wanting to watch a western. I've never seen a western before. Any suggestions?

also i thought ramsey was cute
>>
>>78228759
>>78233465
Shit taste confirmed
>>
>>78228456
>Could the story still have been told if they weren't dinosaurs?
That the same reason why they needed dinosaurs, the story has been told so many times that the only thing left to add was dinosaurs.
>>
>>78243900
>I came out of the theater really wanting to watch a western. I've never seen a western before. Any suggestions?
Rango
>>
>>78247049
Rango is for when you're already familiar with western movies/tropes
>>
>>78228706
it's up there.
I really don't know what the short was trying to say
>>
File: Eastwood_man_with_No_Name.jpg (21 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Eastwood_man_with_No_Name.jpg
21 KB, 300x200
>>78243900
>I came out of the theater really wanting to watch a western. I've never seen a western before. Any suggestions?
The Dollars Trilogy, duh.
Also Once Upon a Time in the West.

To this day the genre pays tribute to the spaghetti ones.
>>
>>78241320
The dead children riding the doomed train to hell.
With the demon conductor Tom Hanks.
Locked until midnight, when they get to hell and meet Satan.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.