[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In ten years the big 2 will be Marvel and Image
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 10
File: 75px-Image_Comics_logo.svg.png (3 KB, 75x170) Image search: [Google]
75px-Image_Comics_logo.svg.png
3 KB, 75x170
In ten years the big 2 will be Marvel and Image
>>
Ok.
>>
>>78152467
>In ten years the big 2 will be Marvel and DC
fixed your b8 for you family
>>
Walking Dead can only keep Image's number so high for so much longer.
>>
>>78152467
Image is going to be the big 1 eventually, once comics move past being primarily defined by cape books. DC and Marvel will stay at each other's level, but I honestly believe Image will be the publisher to beat at some point. I don't hate cape books, but the future is more than just superheroes. Not for a while, though. Gotta wait for the capeshit movie bubble to burst and stuff. One day, though.
>>
>>78152467
They said this 10 years ago.
>>
>>78152617
indiean pls go
you faggots are the worst thing to ever hapen to /co/.
If there was anything good about /co/ being a Tumblr colony, it was that /co/ avoided some 4chsn tropes like ELITISM.
You indieans are like the 'patricians' of /tv/ except that what you're shilling isn't objectively superior to the taste of the board as a whole.
>>
>>78152617
>he says this as Image are becoming TV and film pitches - the publisher
Nah m8, Kirkman fucked it up for everyone
>>
>>78152617
>Gotta wait for the capeshit movie bubble to burst and stuff. One day, though.

Oh god this must be b8
Marvel was part of the big two way before Iron Man came, even if they had financial difficulties they were still the biggest comic company after DC.
>>
>>78152665
/co/ never avoided elitism.
DC fans are elitist as fuck.
>>
>>78152667
I honestly don't think so. Mark Millar only writes movie pitches anymore, but I don't think he's made self-published comics as a whole into pitches: the medium. Kirkman's kind of the same way.

Also, if Kirkman's that much of a pitch machine, where the fuck is my Invincible cartoon?
>>
>>78152665
Why does it bother you so much to know that capeshit isn't scripture?
>>
>>78152553
DC is slowly dying man. Their last hope is the movies and from what we've seen so far, the future isn't bright
>>
I don't even read capeshit and think you're delusional, OP.
>>
>>78152728
why do you need validation on an anonymous imageboard?
>>
>>78152667
This, Image is slowly turning into a glorified IP farm.
>>
>>78152745

DC is not dying you fags. Marvel is just eating the market with their shitty tactics that casuals support.
>>
>>78152467
I'm sorry did you mean to say "image and dark horse"?
>>
File: 11mab.png (53 KB, 251x239) Image search: [Google]
11mab.png
53 KB, 251x239
>>78152763
What?
>>
>>78152804
>>
>>78152804
dark horse will be completely dead once the mignolaverse ends or before that because their editorial sucks
>>
>>78152811
There is no reason to say that non-big 2 comics are categorically superior besides wanting to feel validation for your superior taste whenever people talk about cape comics.
>>
>>78152815
Powell and Migonla are the only good creators at DH right now.
>>
>>78152467
you mean DC and Image right
>>78152564
Walking Dead ain't losing popularity any time soon, bruh. Kirkman has said he wants it to run for at least 300 issues, we're at 150.
>>
>>78152845

Stop believing everything that former employee says, you guys are gullible as fuck.

Use ya brains.
>>
So DC will become the hipster darling?
>>
>>78152914
Agreed. Walking Dead has too much momentum. Even when the show hype dies (which could come any time, but could be years off), the huge base of casuals who've jumped on board with the book are going to keep TWD's numbers astronomical for a long time.
>>
>>78152915
well the only thing they have is angel, buffy, plants vs zombies hellboy and the goon
it won't last forever
even arcudi dropped b.p.r.d. for an image ongoing
>>
>>78152745
DC jumped up 4pts in both Dollar and Unit share this month despite Marvel's continued wave of rebooted #1s and Star Wars. They'll be fine, especially with their supposed meat-and-potatoes return next year. Image dropped 1pt in both Dollar and Unit.

I'd buy Image being a big player if it wasn't completely propped up by Walking Dead and they had anything except Saga go for more than four issues before the creative team lost interest or realize their TV/movie pitch isn't going to work. They're a Walking Dead crash away from being Dark Horse and the TV series has already caught up to Negan.
>>
>>78152929
God I hope not.
This new 'hipster' contingent on /co/ is pathetic.
>>
File: 4kyhs.jpg (104 KB, 630x441) Image search: [Google]
4kyhs.jpg
104 KB, 630x441
>>78152855
Seems like you've got a persecution complex desu.

There's barely ever 'indie' comic threads on /co/ besides storytimes.

But then people like you bleed into them from your big 2 circlejerks to make sure we all know just how elitist everyone else is.
>>
File: 1447625301879.png (4 KB, 298x302) Image search: [Google]
1447625301879.png
4 KB, 298x302
We want to read comics, that's all.
So what if whatever company makes it?
So what if it's capeshit?
So what if it's indieshit?
It's only something to occupy time, so why bother with the intricacies?
>>
File: Yukon FUCKING Cornelius.jpg (22 KB, 369x336) Image search: [Google]
Yukon FUCKING Cornelius.jpg
22 KB, 369x336
>>78152994
BECAUSE FIGHTING WITH PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET
>>
>>78152974
>persecution complex
top kek
No, my friend. It is not I that has a complex, but you.
A superiority complex.
Also, there are more than hints of a persecution complex in your post as well.

tl:dr NO U
>>
>>78152994
NO. MAKE A STAND. WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON?
>>
>>78152467
No it won't Kirkman
>>
>>78152994

Have you noticed what website you're on?
>>
I think Image is at its peak right now
>>
>>78152467
That would require Image to suddenly start having several big selling ongoing books instead of a handful.
>>
>>78152467
And Marvel will only publish #1s
>>
>>78152667
>>78152791
>DC and Marvel are the biggest even though they don't give a shit about quality
>"NO WAY! Image can never be the biggest because they don't care about quality! "
Lol.
>>
>>78153433
>Implying image doesn't do the same shit
Image has had a new number one come out almost every other week for years now
>>
>>78153391
This. It's been stated already, but all Image has going for it is big names, yet none of those names can commit to actually putting out books. Instead you get a bunch of minis and/or ongoings with constant delays.
>>
>>78152467
I wonder why more big name writers aren't doing pet projects for Image.
>>78152564
Hey if Avatar press can survive on Crossed for so long then Image can survive on Walking Dead.
>>
>>78153455
Nice strawman faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 600x416) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 600x416
>>78153364
Perhaps creatively. Image has never been bigger than when it launched in the 90s.
>>
>>78153558
True. Crossed has carried Avatar through the long dry spells between Ennis/Ellis/Moore minis, and only now with Uber is there another worthy ongoing.
>>
>>78153508
>yet none of those names can commit to actually putting out books.

They really need to put out some strict guidelines/penalties on stuff like that. A lot of it is based on the how/why the company was founded but running a company on "when the book comes out it comes out" is a terrible model.
>>
>>78153558
>Hey if Avatar press can survive on Crossed for so long then Image can survive on Walking Dead.
But Avartar don't have company execs saying they will be bigger than the big 2
>>
>>78153564
>>78153364
They fact that they ended both Witchblade and the darkness has me worried, is anything even published under the top cow label any more?
>>78152845
No once mignolaverse ends then Sunstone (that lesbian BDSM comic) will keep them alive.
>>
>>78153564
Wow, what happened in '98? Also, what's with that DC spike in February '13?
>>
Kirkman needs to stfu with his anti big 2 shit like he wasn't working for Marvel before his book got big
>>
>>78152914
>keeping comics going just for the sake of keeping them on the shelves

terrible
>>
>>78153595
And Uber won't start publishing again until sometime next year, Gillen has a lot of hype to live up to.
>>
>>78153689
shit, is that true? I just read the v5 trade last week...am I gonna have to wait like a year for another trade?
>>
>>78153635
Switch is Witchblade only with a new name.
>>
>>78153708
Yes it's true, last issue was a couple of months back and all we know that Volume 2 of the series starts next year but I haven't heard anything about a date yet.
>>
>>78152667
Pax Romana miniseries when?
>>
>>78152467
We'll know Image has become a serious competitor when Marvel and DC ban their exclusive writers from working for Image.

Right now any writer under contract to the Big Two can also do a creator-owned book and publish it through Image. In effect Marvel is subsidizing Image.

If Image gets bigger eventually Disney/Warners will have to treat it like a real competitor, not a fun sideline for its writers.
>>
>>78153767
Isn't the whole point of Icon to keep the creator-owned stuff in-house?
>>
The Walking Dead is embarrassing., sorry
>>
>>78153804
It was, yes, but Marvel never took Icon seriously or at least never took seriously the idea of really keeping it going. It still exists for Bendis to publish occasional creator-owned stuff, but most Marvel writers do their own work at Image.
>>
>>78153639
>Wow, what happened in '98?
I think it's just the continued dropoff from the comic speculator bubble that triggered around 1993. Sales really started dropping by 1997.

>Also, what's with that DC spike in February '13?
DC was in the middle of Before Watchmen and Batman's Death of the Family ended that month.
>>
>>78153827
I never got why, it could've been their Vertigo
>>
File: implying.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
implying.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>>78152617
>implying

Once Kirkman's gone Image is fucked m8
>>
>>78153911
Head Lopper will be complete by then, so I'm fine with that.
>>
>>78153911
And who is going to take Kirkman other then Image? Hasn't he already burned the bridges with Marvel
>>
Batman vs Superman will blow the fuck out everyone desu
>>
>>78153564
What happen at Marvel in 99?
>>
>>78153471
Yeah, and unless they fail pretty badly, most make it beyond issue 12
>>
Dc is already dead, apart from the batman related stuff
>>
>>78152901
Who is matt kindt, Geoff darrow, Brendon McCarthy, Richard corben, Gabriel ba, Fabio moon, and potentially frank miller then faggot. Try reading comics sometime.
>>
>>78153911
Kirkman's part owner now. He'll never leave and will still be there until Walking Dead declines, as every property inevitably does. It's why he makes grand self-promoting statements like "Image will overtake DC by 10 years."
>>
>>78153991
That's about when Perlmutter was dragging them out of bankruptcy and everyone was getting tired of exxxxxtttrrreeee and bimbo fanservice comics.
>>
>>78153635
IXth Generation is a continuation of Aphrodite IX. I don't know if Cyberforce is still a thing, but it was enough of one to warrant a crossover with Aphrodite IX last year.

But, Switch and IXth Generation are the only Top Cow things I can think of currently.
>>
>>78153876
That would imply Marvel cares enough about comics as a medium anymore. The days of Epic are long gone.
>>
>>78153876
Icon was created solely to get people to sign exclusive contracts when DC and Marvel had that exclusives arms race around five years ago. By having an alternative creator owned imprint to Vertigo/Image offered to you, there was less reason to refuse an exclusive contract with Marvel.

There was never any incentive to do anything else with it.
>>
>>78152467
>In ten years the big 2 will be Marvel and Image
In ten years, the MCU Empire that Marvel built will have been dead for a while and they'll be back to the same state they were during the 90s, but this time without any movie rights to sell and with the new Disney corporate overlords wanting to see return on their investments. The writing is on the wall already, people are obviously tired of Cape movies, they want something new, and maybe Star Wars might create a rebirth of the late 70s/early 80s space adventure movie.

>>78152617
>Literally surviving due to two books (TWD and Saga)
>implying those will last much longer and that people aren't already tired of Walking Dead
>capeshit=bad/indie=good retardation
>implying Image is going to survive for much longer when most creators spend more time trying to sell movie and TV show rights than actually creating
>Implying Image deserves to survive with the current line up it has.

>>78153558
>I wonder why more big name writers aren't doing pet projects for Image.
They did, that was called 90s Image
All big shots at DC and Marvel wrote stuff (both original ideas and issues for other creators books) to spite DC and Marvel and ride the "Creators Rights" wave that Image was spearheading. Alan Moore wrote fucking Young Blood for fuck sakes.
Then, of course, the "Creator's Rights" thing ended up being bullshit and Todd Mcfarlene and Neil Gaiman are in a Law battle of Spawn characters to this day.

>>78152804
>I'm sorry did you mean to say "image and dark horse"?
Only if Dark Horse wakes the fuck up and gets back on the Manga game now that that shit is back full force.
>>
>>78155533
>The writing is on the wall already, people are obviously tired of Cape movies
Is there actually any proof to back this statement up?
>>
>>78155610
Age of Ultron made less than Avengers 1 and costed more
Ant-Man was, and I quote, "A dissapointment for Disney Execs"
Amazing Spiderman 2 made less than the first, which pushed Sony to let Marvel use the character.
>>
>>78155719
>Age of Ultron made less than Avengers 1 and costed more
Which is not really surprising, the first one made so much money it surprised evetyone. I don't expect the Star Wars movie after tfa to make as much as tfa or jurassic world 2 to make as much as the first one.

>Ant-Man was, and I quote, "A dissapointment for Disney Execs"
Whats the source of this because that is just bullshit

>Amazing Spiderman 2 made less than the first, which pushed Sony to let Marvel use the character.
Because it was a shit movie.
>>
File: 1310497838505.jpg (90 KB, 535x798) Image search: [Google]
1310497838505.jpg
90 KB, 535x798
>>78152617
>Image is going to be the big 1 eventually, once comics move past being primarily defined by cape books.
So NEVER EVER then?
>>
>>78153717
I just hate how much he sacrificed his quality art for quick sketching. His work on Witchblade was fucking beautiful, some of the best art I've ever seen, but Switch is mediocre
>>
>>78152467

Yeah no. They need more than 2 books that sell to do this
>>
>Whats the source of this because that is just bullshit
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ant-man-box-office-marvel-1201543684/

>Because it was a shit movie.
So was the first one, and Man of Steel, and a lot of other Cape movies, but this one failed so bad, it caused Sony to cancel the Sinister Six and Venom movies they had planned.
>>
>>78154030
Not to mention that Dark Horse got Jordoworsky's stuff now
>>
>>78156051
>http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ant-man-box-office-marvel-1201543684/
Now bring up a recent article not one from its opening weekend
>>
>>78156051
>>Whats the source of this because that is just bullshit
>http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ant-man-box-office-marvel-1201543684/

That is some pretty stupid conclusions. Ant Man is the cheepest budget movie they have ever made and it beat both Thor and Captain America. After salvaging it from Wright this was a huge surprise to everyone. Besides, not only did it make money, but it propped up the brand in a huge way, by taking a hero people would laugh at and make a heart felt family movie. It shocked analysts by taking something that looked like a train wreck and making a great movie from it.

Ant Man was a huge success, fiscally it was a good success, but in every other way it was a HUGE success
>>
>>78156300

Wright still worked on the film, you know.

It's just /co/ being retarded. As always
>>
In then years the big two will be gone and comics will be a respected artform. No wait, it will still be DC and Marvel! Fantastic.
>>
>>78156967
>big two will be gone and comics will be a respected artform
If the big 2 ever leave you can say goodbye to comics in general
>>
>>78157043
America is not the center of the universe.
>>
>>78157043
>you can say goodbye to comics in general
>a whole medium dying
>ever

Naw, comics are global, and even in America you'll still have small publishers
>>
>>78157131
>>78157110
Well this is a western board based on American comics so I'm talking about here and comic shops mostly sell big two shit when it comes to comics
>>
>>78157342
If the Big Two ever disappear then it'll suck for LCS owners and employees, who will have their livelihoods damaged or destroyed.

But it'll be amazing for /co/, as all the /co/mic posters either start broadening their horizons, or admit that they were never *really* fans of comics in the first place and leave.
>>
>>78154030
Literally who's and a dying racist
>>
>>78155533
>, and maybe Star Wars might create a rebirth of the late 70s/early 80s space adventure movie.
>The LoGH novels are finally getting translated into English as well

Feels good.
>>
>>78157342
>Big Two leave
>LCS will be kill
>Diamond gets rekt
>the age of digital only single issues and physical trades will be upon us
I don't see a problem in this.
>>
>>78158709
Diamond needs to leave, one way or another. I don't really care how it happens, I can always find comics from amazon or whatever. Once Diamond is destroyed, the industry will be better
>>
Image is just making Pitches for TV series and SyFy original movies now.
>>
>>78152803
>DC isn't dying Marvel is just taking all of the available sales
Do you even read what you write?
>>
>>78159184
I hear this being paroted all the fucking time. What evidence do you have? Saga would never be adapted, Hickman's stuff is far too comic style to be a show, Faster Than Light is fucking fantastic, but I can't see a show for it. I buy more Image than DC or Marvel but most of what I buy can't be a TV show
>>
>>78159293
I think people assume Image comics are meant for TV because they're mostly based on high-concept pitches. But I think that just reflects the fact that you can't sell a comic in today's market without a high-concept pitch.

So most of the new indie comics are built around very elaborate pitches, usually "popular thing X meets popular thing Y." But that's because there are a zillion comics out there and you can't succeed with a low-concept pitch any more.

To get a TV adaptation you're actually better off going with a simpler premise, like The Walking Dead. But a premise as simple as The Walking Dead probably wouldn't get noticed in today's market.
>>
>>78159264
>There is a certain number of available sales and Marvel are taking them

hahaha, the people who buy every star wars variant weren't fucking interested in buying omega men or prez anyway, Marvel didn't steal a sale from DC.
>>
>>78152617
its not going to happen

Image can't promise a big release like DC and Marvel can. Image comics often go on LONG breaks or just end with no resolution because the team got bored.

Furthermore Image are fucking devoid of talent at the minute, with all of their books being stealth TV pitches that get dropped about 3 arcs in when the writer realizes nobody is going to buy the rights. Whenever they try to put out an actual comic it does shit because nobody is interested in buying comics. Just look at Island, it's fucking tanking and getting cut down in pagecount and they keep asking Brandon to delay it, 8house seems to be more or less shitcanned. What else do they even have? Bitch Planet? Southern Bastards? Only one of those is any good and they've made clear that it is going to end within the next couple of years at the very most.

The only publisher that is making decent money from pushing actual comics is Black Mask right now, and fuck knows how they managed that. Fantagraphics is living off donations, Dark Horse is dead and D&Q just suck off their ever shrinking pool of talent because they are not finding anyone new.
>>
>>78152845
YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH RIGHT NOW

DARKNESS WILL ALWAYS SELL
>>
>>78152967
>new
It's 2015
not 2007
>>
>>78152745
for this to have a chance image would have to start putting out amazing movies

even then how would you ever put a dent in superman and batmans reputation
>>
>>78152467
DC will always be 2 because of Bat Man and other capeshit properties. There won't be a creator owned funny book as successful as Walking Dead in a long time and there won't be more than a couple at a time
>>
>>78153595
Wait, ellis? Like warren ellis? He wrote for crossed? Shit, why didn't I know about this?
>>
>>78152961
>even arcudi dropped b.p.r.d. for an image ongoing

he still writes Lobster Johnson, and he's doing an unannounced Mignolaverse project
>>
>>78153564
Is vertigo included in the DC stats or is it in the "other" category?
>>
>>78161149
>even then how would you ever put a dent in superman and batmans reputation
BvS will manage it.
>>
>>78153689
>>78153708
>>78153730

he has that space series, Mercury Heat out right now though, also from Avatar.
>>
>>78158978
>>78158709
Whats so bad about diamond? If I understand correctly they only distribute comics, what's wrong with that?
>>
>>78168323
They hold a monopoly on distributing comics, so they set the price of distribution. as high as they want. ask your LCS owner about diamond some day.
>>
>>78168323
I know the owner of my LCS always bitches about diamond shorting him and sending him the wrong order
>>
>>78165266
Vertigo is part of DC, so yes.
>>
>>78165691

BvS is going to make a shit load and be loved by casuals. Calling it now
>>
>>78169000
Yeah, I know, is just that that means DC really is underperforming
>>
>>78168936
>>78168583
I don't live in the USA so I don't have a LCS but diamond is probably the reason why comics are so expensive here too so I'm jumping in the h8 train
>>
>>78152962
>DC jumped up 4pts in both Dollar and Unit share this month despite Marvel's continued wave of rebooted #1s and Star Wars.
Your facts and figures have no place here.
>>
DC will be fine, you marvel fags are fucking obnoxious
>>
>>78169328

they definitely are the reason comics are more expensive wherever you are (assuming you're not somewhere which has its own local printer/distributer like the UK, France, Italy, or Mexico)
>>
>>78152845
>dark horse will be completely dead
not unless they keep licensing quality foreign comics
>>
I don't understand how we can view Image as an actual publisher in the same vein as DC/Marvel/Dark Horse.
The company has like 30 employees, and doesn't do anything that a normal publisher needs to do (editing, making sure people are hitting their deadlines, creating contracts)
>>
>>78169267
DC is the #2 publisher, farn.

>MUH POOR UNDERRATED UNDERDOG
>WHEN WILL THEY GET THE RESPECT THEY DESERVE?
>>
>>78169594
I'm pretty sure Mexico get shit through Diamond too
>>
>>78152467
There is no "Big Two" and there never has been.

Image has been a "major publisher" from day 1.
>>
>>78152564
TWD and Saga will never end.
>>
>>78169189
Keep dreaming.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.