[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this again. Why don't people like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
Just watched this again. Why don't people like it?
>>
Because it actually has a plot and message.
>>
Because they're plebs OP. Ignore them.
>>
Because it actually has plot and characterization.
>>
Because it actually has character development and deep plots.
>>
>>78144150
It remains the best superhero movie.
Not because it's so good but because the rest are just so bad.
>>
>>78144150
Because it shits all over the comic and replaces it with shitty slow-mo.
>>
>>78144313
How so? It's been a while since I read it but it seemed to stay pretty true to it
>>
Because the acting and fights were bad, like laughably bad.

The only good performance was from rorschach who was actually really fucking good just not good enough to hold up a movie. Also the ending switch was honestly really stupid, yes the alien body was kinda corny but it made sure that no country could be at fault. With the movie I'd feel like everyone would just blame the fuck out of America and fighting would still happen.
>>
>>78144313
There was barely even any slow mo in it.
>>
File: 1312434688886.jpg (16 KB, 560x400) Image search: [Google]
1312434688886.jpg
16 KB, 560x400
All the "slo-mo" I believe was the main objection if I recall.

I personally really enjoy it. Especially the scene where Nite Owl lets loose on that one top knot and Rorschach has to stop him. Good shit.
>>
>>78144437
The only bad acting was from Laurie. Manhattan and Comedian were also great. Eat shit.
>>
>>78144437
Not being an American, I don't have a problem with that. I seriously liked it better than the way the comic ended.
Notice, I'm not saying I liked the movie better than the comic, just the 'blame it all on Dr. Manhattan' plot.
>>
>>78144150
most of the hate is gathered from the theater release which lacked a lot of things from the comic (plus out of place things like some of the fights and those super high tech goggles)
>>
>>78144150
read the comic and find out
>>
>>78144150
Literally >not muh. Ignore the plebs OP. I enjoyed it as well
>>
Snyder turned the comic into an action flick with good visuals and slo-mo action scenes. It's still better than any capeshit movie.
>>
>>78144150
changing the ending misses the point of Ozymandias's character

and making the fight scenes rad as hell misses the point of the book

and attempting to make the sex scene sexy also misses the point of the book

basically, making it a movie misses the purpose of the book
>>
>>78144173
>>78144180
>>78144233
>>78144267
This reeks of pathetic samefagging.
>>
>>78144437
Don't forget the whole issue with Snyder stupidly putting the chimera cat in the movie because it looked cool, not realizing that the point of it in the comic was to allude to the genetic manipulation that was happening in the background story of the fabricated "alien." Calling it a red herring would give too much credit to Snyder, obviously.
>>
>>78144297
pretty much this
>>
File: Mystery Men Score.jpg (25 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Mystery Men Score.jpg
25 KB, 320x320
>>78144297
>>78147933
Plebeians
>>
>>78144150
Because it was too faithful to the source material, but it also deviated too much from the source material.
>>
It simplified and stylized the story and characters too much.

Ironically, they also stuck TOO close to the comics for a lot of it; in a lot of scenes, the dialogue was straight from the comics, and the panels may as well have been storyboards. Moore and Gibbons specifically designed Watchmen to highlight and accentuate the strengths of the comic medium; a lot of that gets lost when you copy and paste it onto film.
>>
>>78144150
Because they worship the comic and are unable to comprehend that a movie could possibly do it justice.
>>
>>78148532

A movie could.

This one didn't, though.

>>78148002
I hear that a lot but I think it's only partially true.

The stuff they ripped straight from the comics was good. Problem is, the movie removed the context surrounding it so it robbed those scenes of all their weight.

There one wasn't one big problem with the Watchmen movie, just dozens of small missteps that add up and tarnish the movie by the end.
>>
>>78148567
>a movie could
>a movie could do justice to a comic book specifically crafted to show the strengths of the medium
>>
File: kevin_damn_good.gif (578 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
kevin_damn_good.gif
578 KB, 500x282
>>78147387
this
>>
>>78147387
The fight scenes weren't rad and the sex scene wasn't sexy.
>>
>>78147387
>changing the ending misses the point of Ozymandias's character
I've never understood this criticism, care to explain it to me?
>>
>>78148701
Ozymandias was playing God, pretending to be like the great pharaoh he styled himself as

In contrast to Manhattan, who goes off to create life on a whim just because he can, Ozy spends millions of dollars and hundreds of lives to create a dead monster that kills millions

by changing it to nukes, that contrast and central aspect of his character is completely lost

it also makes Bubastis a non sequitur
>>
>>78148684
I guess "attempting to make" would've been more accurate
>>
>>78148775
except in the movie it's
>In contrast to Manhattan, who goes off to create life on a whim just because he can, Ozy spends millions of dollars and hundreds of lives to mimic the powers of Manhatten to smite millions
he's still playing god
>>
>>78144437
>With the movie I'd feel like everyone would just blame the fuck out of America and fighting would still happen.
I felt this way too. Even if Manhattan also attacked American cities, the rest of the world would still see it as the US's fault because he was our monster that we paraded around and slapped on newspaper covers and propaganda and sent him off to win our wars and showing him off with this "hey look at our shiny new toy, fuck you all" attitude, and we failed to control him.

As goofy as the alien squid was, part of the point was that it was something absolutely nobody had ever seen before and had no idea how to explain or even how to react beyond "we're being attacked by some weird shit we don't understand" and that fear and lack of understanding of the supposed enemy was what banded the world together. There wasn't anyone they could point fingers at because this was literally something nobody could reasonably explain and had no precedent whatsoever. With Dr. Manhattan going rogue you definitely have someone you can blame and in a Height-of-the-Cold-War setting it's really bizarre for the Soviet Union and everyone else to just go "oh, the pit bull you used to intimidate the neighborhood got loose and attacked half the block, but it bit your leg too, I guess we'll be friends now"
>>
>>78148807
Ozymandias would want to be his own god, not imitate an existing one

>hundreds of lives
what evidence is there of that
>>
>>78148787
They weren't attempting to make them that way either. You don't put a sex scene with two people in costume inside a giant owl ship set to Hallelujah because you want it to be sexy. It's supposed to be awkward and ridiculous as fuck.
>>
>>78148846
did someone tell Snyder that, because he sure framed it like a sexy sex scene
>>
>>78148775
It also doesn't make any sense.
Ozy nukes a bunch of cities all over the world, blaming Jon and thinks the world will go "Shit, we should totally come together with the nation that made the guy that did this!
>>
>>78148662
>Moore and Gibbons specifically designed Watchmen to highlight and accentuate the strengths of the comic medium

Nail on the head. The Watchmen flick is as good as any adaptation of the source material could be, but the strength of the source material lies in the technical execution of the story within the medium. The plot and characterization are well and good, but how do you translate something like panel-to-panel transitions, or how the symbology of a page layout to any medium beyond comics?

Could a Rockyvvideogame communicate the same experience as the film? How about a play about the Mona Lisa? Essentially, after you take out the expressive qualities of the intended medium, all you're left with is telling me a story I've already heard before by much more skilled storytellers.

And it's not the same as, say, a Spider-Man movie, where you're building on this massive mythos that's been dabbled with by countless creators over a variety of mediums. Watchmen was such an open and shit, closed world, complete story concocted by two minds, that the film interpretation is just overwhelmingly unnecessary by its very nature.

Blue dong was tight tho
>>
>>78148879
No it wasn't. It was extremely over-the-top with thrusting and flaming orgasms. It was meant to be ridiculous from the get go.
>>
It's a great movie. Whether or not it's a good adaption is a different story.
>>
>>78148980
it's a pretty fucking terrible movie
>>
>>78149020
Wrong.
>>
>>78149035
>misses the point its own plot entirely
>not terrible
>>
File: 1427127412831.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1427127412831.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>78144470
>There was barely even any slow mo in it.
>>
>>78148002
>Moore and Gibbons specifically designed Watchmen to highlight and accentuate the strengths of the comic medium

literally POETRY - the comicbook
>>
It really doesn't make sense. The hate seems to be magnified since the great new Console War is Warner Bros vs Disney.
>>
Because Zack Snyder didn't realize that the original is a parody on superheroes.
>>
Because despite shot for shot adapting most of the comic it still manages to completely miss the point.
>>
>>78150080
Go on
>>
File: 4550501-untitled-1.jpg (337 KB, 1708x716) Image search: [Google]
4550501-untitled-1.jpg
337 KB, 1708x716
>>78148684
>The fight scenes weren't rad

Yes, they were
Or at least they tried to. Making Owl and Silk break the bones of a bunch of thugs like nothing simply misses the point, it's like Snyder thought he was directing a Sin City
>>
>>78144150
I liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SS1QleuAs
>>
Like with Snyder's other works, it's a collection of neat scenes without much connecting tissue. I admire his attempt and think it's probably the best possible movie we could have gotten that attempted to be faithful to the original, but it's full of Snyder's issues he still hasn't worked out.

At the end of the day the only way we'll get a truly great Watchmen movie is if someone pulls a Stanley Kubrick Shining on the book and throws the original text in the garbage so they can do their own autuerist thing with it, but with fanboy culture being what it is that will never happen. So I'm pretty okay with the Snyder movie, and the Director's Cut works well as its' own neat little film.
>>
File: owl.png (361 KB, 372x397) Image search: [Google]
owl.png
361 KB, 372x397
The ending is a clusterfuck and Ozymandias' motivation makes zero sense.
The comic had some nice prose and art, but that translated really badly to the screen.
Also it's too edgy, but that's just a personal objection.
>>
>>78147387
meh
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.