[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Avengers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1.jpg (49 KB, 640x348) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
49 KB, 640x348
The series is okay and all, but there's just one question I don't understand. What do they avenge?
>>
File: 1.jpg (111 KB, 998x561) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
111 KB, 998x561
And who thought these costumes were a good idea?
>>
COLUSON
>>
>>78086273
But he's alive now.
And nick fury came up with the name long before he died
>>
I never liked their name.

You'd think it was some gritty 90's team or something.
>>
>>78086251
They vindicate, that is to say, they impose punishment or suffering on a wrongdoer. The wrongdoer doesn't have to have done any wrong, just threatened it. Vengeance is funny like that.

lern2english

>>78086472
Better than "Justice League". Which one of them's the judge? Who acts as counsel? How can any of them be impartial in a courtroom setting when they all work together at the same legal chambers?

If they don't work in the duly appointed judiciary or as legal counsel in the people's courts, how can they have anything to do with justice? They're more like beat cops, except the police belong to the executive, not the judicial branch.
>>
>>78086472
>>78086251
The only reason they get that name in the comics is because Wasp thought it sounded cool.

Pretty sure Stan Lee thought the same shit IRL, IIRC when he named the FF he wanted a flashy name and something that didn't have the word Justice or Liberty in it to distance them from what DC was doing.
>>
File: avengers_form.jpg (116 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
avengers_form.jpg
116 KB, 500x372
>>78088138
>>
>>78086328
Agents of Shield isn't canon
>>
>>78088183
What are you talking about, of course it is. The whole Inhuman arc from the show is about to tie into Civil War on the big screen.
>>
>>78086856
The Superfriends was always the superior hero team.
>>
>>78086856
>Better than "Justice League"

Is not, and i say this as a marvelfag.

Justice League > X-men > the defenders > Fantastic Four > shadowpact >>>>> Avengers > teen titans
>>
>>78086271
The only thing wrong there is Cap's helmet.
>>
>>78086472
I don't like it because it doesn't fit what they do, and Avenging isn't heroic anyway.
>>
>>78088289
Where did you get that idea?
>>
>>78088289
>This is what the sole existing AoS fan actually believes
>>
>>78086472
I like it in the comics, because it's literally a brand name, designed to sound cool. It was really in character for Janet. It had no actual connection to the team, what they did or what they stood for or who they were, but it sounded flashy and dramatic and was marketable to the public, so that's what they went with. It's one of Jan's defining moments. Her greatest contributions to The Avengers were as head of PR, not as an actual super hero.
>>
>>78088138
>>78088166
In the wake of Ant-Man, I want it to be "revealed" that Janet came up with the name for the Avengers Initiative back in the '60s, and Fury later picked up the abandoned project.
>>
>>78089078
>X-men

You pushed Onslaught and Maximums Security and House of M on us. You deserve to suffer.
>>
>>78089157
Avenging is heroic. Revenge/vengence isn't.
>>
>>78089276
There is literally no difference.
>>
>>78089227
I wonder if they are going on a rescue mission for Ant-Man and Wasp.

They could go full Bioshock Infinite/Cloud Atlas with the MCU by making her go crazy and bipolar (like Ant-Man is in the comics and Michael Douglas' wife is irl) and make her go red queen, like Hope does.

That'd be a pretty fun spin on it.
>>
>>78089241
I was talking about names only. Avengers is a bad name.
>>
>>78088166
Mr. T Hulk.
>>
>>78089300
>Avenge, revenge both imply to inflict pain or harm in return for pain or harm inflicted on oneself or those persons or causes to which one feels loyalty. The two words were formerly interchangeable, but have been differentiated until they now convey widely diverse ideas.

>Avenge is now restricted to inflicting punishment as an act of retributive justice or as a vindication of propriety: to avenge a murder by bringing the criminal to trial.

>Revenge implies inflicting pain or harm to retaliate for real or fancied wrongs; a reflexive pronoun is often used with this verb: Iago wished to revenge himself upon Othello.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.