[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bendis vs. Hickman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (938 KB, 1785x1366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
938 KB, 1785x1366
So whose run was really worse? Sanity makes me want to say Bendis but the last few issues of SW are making me wonder.

Also, is Ultron fucking jerking off in this cover? You decide.
>>
Dude what? There's no way Bendis' run coming near to Hickman's. Secret Wars is superb. Just because last few issues were slow doesn't mean it's bad. Literally the best event coming from MARVEL in years.

TL;DR

u gay
>>
>Age of Ultron
>no Ultron until last three pages
Is Hickman team Bendis or not?
>>
Hickman disappointed me immensely, but it was ambitious and I still appreciate some points. Nothing about Bendis run is worth remembering.
>>
I skipped over a lot of Hickman's shit, but New Avengers was pretty good (I like the T'Challa and Namor beef it's one of the only good things to come out of AvX) and Secret Wars has been pretty amusing miniseries, although the delays are obnoxious

Bendis on the Avengers... the only good thing that happened for that there was the Dark Reign stuff, and he didn't write any of the good parts of that.
>>
Hickman's was way worse. Bendis's was very peaks and valley's. It was either the shittests of shit or some the most fun comics on the market at times. And for better or for worse the constantly changing status quo at very least kept Bendis' run interesting.

Hickman's run was just a giant slog of mediocrity. It was just the same argument over and over again about incursions for several years.
>>
One was Sentry wank, one was Doom wank, depends on which one you liked more.

At least Hickman's run led to other writers doing some fun minis.
>>
>>78049922
This. Secretly everyone is a Bendis fan. Sure people here like to feel they have superior taste by calling him shit, hack or whatever they want. They feel better knowing their current indy darling is way better than the top dog at Marvel because it somehow validates the comics they are reading and that's fine.

And yeah the things people complain about Bendis are true as well. He likes to write for trades with slow pacing arcs and his characteristic dialogue. Not to mention putting the stories over any kind of continuity fans want to be acknowledged.

But it's also true that what he does is exactly what Marvel needs. He actually puts some effort in trying to change and advance these characters. You people always criticize his changes because you don't want your characters to advance that fast. Maybe if a change is teased and slowly build then in ten years you will accept it but Bendis doesn't have ten years. He wants to move forward himself not wait until his grandsons do the job for him. You hate him for that but it's what Marvel need. His stories also appeal to the readers. He writes what they want to read. Compare Guardians of the Galaxy against Inhumans. Both had the same number of variants but Bendis still won because he writes the team of Guardians people are interested in reading, accuse him of waifuing or whatever but people accpeted Kitty as Star-Lord because Bendis sold her to them in the first issue. He also put the Avengers on the map and some might say he did it by using gimmicks and events but he was the one who dared to pull these gimmicks and events, and they worked. People liked it. Bendis does know what people want. /co/ of course has other ideas, and most likely those ideas would send Marvel into bankruptcy again.

Bendis works, and /co/ loves him. All the hate messages are just the way they have to show their love.
>>
>>78050019
You forgot dancing Jew gif.
>>
>>78050019
you sound like a creepy stalker who's positively convinced that the person with a restraining order against them is actually suuuuper in love with them
>>
>>78050043
Dancing jew gif is the "future EiC" pasta. That anon just posted the "QT Kitty Pryde" pasta.

Either way, forgot the image.
>>
>>78050019
Nice pasta. You forgot the part about future editor in chief, faggot.
>>
Hickman bored me to tears even with the shitposts. At least Bendis makes it stupidly funny and the shitpost threads are worth every event.
>>
>>78050108
Exactly. It's the difference between a boring movie and a stupid movie. You can at least have some fun with a dumb movie, but a boring movie is a total waste of time.
>>
File: 1444389053663.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1444389053663.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>>78049865
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nigga, do you even know who your talking about? He's the master of Marvel, the king of comics, the future Editor-in-Chief. He has 2 shows based on his creations, Powers and Jessica Jones, and someday Mile Morales will be the next Spider-man in movies or TV.

Sorry mate, but Bendis is the King of Marvel. Those on Team Bendis will guard any and all storylines created by Bendis, or expand on it. I mean look at this shit >>77869998

Once he finally runs Marvel, we will enter an era of Bendis continuity. As long as there's a franchise with a movie or TV show, it won't be safe from Bendis Continuity.

He' the future Editor-in-Chief of Marvel, and the other writers at marvel know it. The ones that aren't with him are off doing Star Wars.
>>
>>78049822
Hickman.

All the press and buildup from Marvel about his entire run of NA/Avengers/Infinity/SW being one big novel is turning out to be bullshit.

At least there is a coherence to Bendis's run until some point into Heroic Age, but everything from Disassebled-Siege did have the feeling of being connected.
>>
>>78049922
This. I got tired of bendis and the more I paid attention to comics the more I realized how bendis can misuse continuity and falls into waifu/husbando-ism with his pet characters.

But he has some good stuff.

Hickman was just very pretentious and didn't really deliver. Infinity was reasonably fun but shouldn't really have been an event. Secret Wars is way too long for what you're getting. It's fairly predictable. Very disappointed in Hickman's avengers overall. And I really wanted to like it.
>>
>>78049865
>Literally the best event coming from MARVEL in years.
That's not really that much of a feat tbqh famon.
>>
>>78050134
There's the aforementioned pasta now
>>
>>78049822
Yeah, Hickman's Avengers run was bad.

But dude, Bendes has wrote GotG: Original Sin.

No way Hickman will ever write a comic nearly that bad.
>>
I prefer Hickman. I really enjoyed both his avengers books and am currently enjoying SW.

id definitely prefer to go back and reread his run before Bendis'.
>>
File: jimmy have seen some real shit.jpg (97 KB, 444x483) Image search: [Google]
jimmy have seen some real shit.jpg
97 KB, 444x483
>>78050019
>Secretly everyone is a Bendis fan
>>
I stopped reading Marvel comics faithfully a few years back. Because of obvious reasons.

So I know there's the whole Secret Wars thing that is STILL ongoing...yet, we have comics of heroes after Secret Wars.

???

How does that work, exactly?
>>
>>78051896
They got a really slow artist and committed to no fill-ins, which resulted in mad fucking delays on the book because he couldn't get it done on time, but they couldn't delay all their post-SW books too because that would mean they would have gone the past couple months with no comics becaused Secret Wars and Star Wars. So they started releasing some of the post-SW books.

The last issue of SW comes out in a few weeks followed by the half of the post-SW books that haven't launched yet.
>>
>>78050146
>press and buildup from Marvel about his entire run of NA/Avengers/Infinity/SW being one big novel is turning out to be bullshit.
I could've sworn I saved that panel of Deadpool saying "That's the least surprising thing ever."

That said, Hickman at least failed attempting something worthwhile. Bendis was LCD garbage. I don't necessarily need a grand epic in my Avengers stories--I do like it done with enough depth and substance to warrant the length, though--but something headier than talking heads and Chinese food is sort of implied.
>>
>>78049822
Hickman Hikcman Hickman

Say what you will about Bendis, but he took the brand forward, had good charcter moments and made a compelling series of events that bleed into each other. It was like several seasons of a decent tv show.

Hickman was just obtuse bullshti thrown at you with wallpaper charcaters that endeded in a wholly unrelated story. That itself isnt that good.
>>
>>78049822
Avengers between Civil War and up to and inclusing Secret Invasion was one of the best runs of all time
>>
>>78049822
Hickman was probably worse. He wrote an entire story that had no payoff or conclusion which contradicted his FF run, the precursor to his Avengers.
>>
File: 1403079461608.jpg (79 KB, 528x396) Image search: [Google]
1403079461608.jpg
79 KB, 528x396
>>78049822
Bendis's Age of Ultron Story was fucking trash. It's garbage and you miss nothing by not reading it. The only thing to come out of it is Angelia from spawn. Bendis tried to set up this rip in time and space, making it seem like it was going to lead somewhere, but ultimately was useless. His Avengers run was okay.

Hickman pretty much made me stop reading Avengers. He brought it all of this new characters I didn't care about and made them the focus of the run. I couldn't get into to it at all. None of the story lines were interesting, save the Incursions. His Secret Wars story has been neat, but a lot of characters just didn't matter. He brought a hand full of 616 characters and most of them did nothing. It was poor execution. He could of had 5 of those characters live and we'd have the same story. The only character who got a Secret Wars book explaining what they were doing was Star Lord, and he was pretty useless.

But regardless, I know I will come out of Secret Wars feeling okay about what I read, while Bendis's AoU was a fucking abortion on print. You could reduce the whole thing to 4 issues. Honestly they're tied, but Fuck Bendis. I give the win to Hickman.
>>
Hickman might get plodding at times, but it's not like Bendis took us on a rollercoaster either. I'm not the biggest Bendis hater out there, and even enjoyed his Avengers run, but IMO it's no context for Redneckdude, reading it in TPB makes it flat out great.
>>
File: 1426967094683.gif (1 MB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1426967094683.gif
1 MB, 180x200
>>78050019
>Secretly everyone is a Bendis fan.
Go home Bendis.
>>
Secret Wars has been going a bit slow, but its at least a competent story.

Age of Ultron was a bunch of nonsense...and nothing came out of it.
>>
>>78050460
Just need 2 more and the Bendis quota is complete.
>>
File: Stopreading.jpg (13 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
Stopreading.jpg
13 KB, 250x272
>>78050019
>Not to mention putting the stories over any kind of continuity
>>
I have really liked SW and Hickman's avengers run.

Bendis' avengers run was fucking boring and had the avengers fight such low key shitty enemies. The closest he came to a grand scope was secret invasion and even that shit was disappointing. At the end he was reusing ideas, like have the dark avengers show up again.

Bendis has got some great titles under his belt, but big team books are not his strong point.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.