[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>start writing something >everything is going ok >then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1121234343456.jpg (23 KB, 444x322) Image search: [Google]
1121234343456.jpg
23 KB, 444x322
>start writing something
>everything is going ok
>then suddenly there are nazi samurais in my story
How do I keep a story grounded /co/? How do YOU do it?
>>
>>78049489
embrace the nazi samurais.
quit trying to "ground" your work.
nazi samurais sound better.
>>
>write something
>technically it's good as far your shitty writing goes
>you quickly get bored with it and just write because the clicking in your brain tells you so
>>
>>78049489
I'm almost autistic about keeping my story grounded, to the point where I'm constantly scrapping great scenes because "nah, that would never actually happen."

Teach me how to nazi samurai.
>>
File: fearsamurai.jpg (114 KB, 1272x700) Image search: [Google]
fearsamurai.jpg
114 KB, 1272x700
>>78049489
>>78049532
>>
>>78049489
Is there a reason why your story should be grounded and NOT include nazi samurais?
>>
>>78049489
implying nazi samurais arent real

who do you think runs shit these days?
>>
Viking/pagan knight nazis seems kind of better.

But tell us more about your story.
>>
>>78049489
The issue isnt that nazi samurais arent grounded enough, the issue is that nazis are the most fucking boring, generic "woah cool evil guy!!" group you could base off of
>>
I don't know man the unification war with Nobunaga Hitler could be rad as fuck
>>
How do you get that off track? Ah
>>
>>78049489
The Jew fears the samurai.
>>
>start writing something
>grounded mystery story
>throw in two timeskips, a world-ending weather phenomenom and a dystopian future
>original mystery becomes a subplot

I think it's more fun writing the wacky shit desu senpai
>>
>>78049489

Learn more about the real world so you alwas have wacky shit that actually happened to draw from.
>>
File: 1449661137793.png (76 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449661137793.png
76 KB, 500x500
>>78049489

I try to plan it out before I write it, rather than write and let the wind take me. I think about what I want to put across, what message, if any, I want the reader to take. Understand the limitations of your world, and understand what you feel leaves the deeper emotional impact on the reader, not necessarily what they, or even you "want" to see.

You focus on the characters' emotions. That's the important part. Start knowing who your characters are, what they want, and give them an arc on their way to accomplish, or to fail at their goals. You must make your characters interesting, or take interesting characters in fanfic, give them flaws, but relatable ones, with clearly likable traits as well.

Give even base instincts a reason. For example, I wrote a Gravity Falls fanfic, and I gave Dipper a love interest, but I didn't make him attracted to her just because she was pretty, so I gave her character and social features that tapped into Dipper's deeper longings and insecurities, entirely outside of physical attraction. Everything must revolve around the deeper desires of the characters.

If you spend time writing about what's going on with the characters, you don't let the plot-points spiral out of control in my experience.
>>
My problem is that I can't flesh anything out. The longest thing I've written was only 31k words. I could write the entire LOTR saga in two paragraphs or even two sentences.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.