[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /co/, i've been reading the recommended DD runs, currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 831x1250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 831x1250
Hey /co/, i've been reading the recommended DD runs, currently reading Ann Nocenti's stuff. Is it REALLY considered essential to read it ? It keeps hammering you with preachy ecological shit and it feels like watching Captain Planet. Which run should i bother with instead ?
>>
>>78040131
> Is it REALLY considered essential to read it?
It's the only run I like after Miller

If you hate preachy just wait till you get to Waid's run
>>
>>78040131
Bendis and Brubaker
>>
>>78040131
It's still better than the chichester and mcdaniel run
>>
>>78040170
I didn't think waid's run was preachy until foggy and Kristen kept saying that man without fear bullshit
>>
Anne's run introduced Typhoid Mary, which is required reading AND shrugged off Miller's disbarring of Matt via having Matt continue to practice law without a license.

The last half is kind of crappy with the Inhumans and her continuing the storyline involving Black Bolt and Medusa's kid from the 1988 Inhumans Graphic Novel but has a really cool Acts of Vengeance X-Over where DD fights a batshit crazy Ultron.
>>
>>78040131
I think it's good but I wouldn't say essential necessarily.
Tier listing is
>Miller
>Bendis/Brubaker
POWER GAP
>Nocenti
>Waid
>>
>>78040178
Haven't read bendis' run but Brubaker's is top notch
>>
>>78040247
The Inferno stuff is cool too, JRJR has the best Mephisto
>>
>>78040247
OP here, i really dig Typhoid, best thing about this run thus far.
>>
>>78040280
You need to get on that shit
>>
JrJr Daredevil is my favorite
>>
gerry conway's DD run is all that matters
>>
Has Nocenti's run been released digitally yet? Or at least the issues that matter from her run?
>>
>>78041753

Bits and pieces are on Marvel Unlimited but I think that's it. I think in the shelffag thread people found some stuff implying reprints/collections were coming tho
>>
>>78041679

said literally noone besides you
>>
>Miller (top tier)
>Mazzucchelli (w O'Neil; dat art tier)
>BORN AGAIN (OUR BOYS tier)
>Nocenti (uneven but fresh tier)
>Chichester (fucking shit but makes you appreciate how good everything before was)
>Kelly (good tier)
>Smith (subpar tier)
>Bendis (great tier)
>Brubaker (great to good tier)
>Diggle (fucking shit but makes you appreciate how good everything before was; the actual DD book about supporting cast during Shadowland was pretty good)
>T-Challa (good tier)
>Waid (uneven but fresh tier; some issues and general approach to the character are pure top)
>Soule (subpar so far)
>>
>>78044018
This guy knows whats up
>>
File: tumblr_mggtckAVub1rqostyo1_1280.jpg (390 KB, 937x1395) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mggtckAVub1rqostyo1_1280.jpg
390 KB, 937x1395
>>78040131
There is no such thing as an essential comic. But personally, I like Ann and JR.

Plus there's Typhoid Mary.
>>
>>78040178
Bendis?
>>
>>78040131
I consider it overrated, but it has some pretty hardcore fans.
>>
>>78047801
Oh the rapist
>>
So, I know this is a long shot, but here it goes.

Could we get a storytime?

I know, I know, go to /r/ and all that

But I've been wanting to get into Daredevil, and I know if someone does one then a few more will pop up from different people and it will be tits, and for a while now I've been thinking about this one I heard about.

An anon made a post a while ago about how he wrote a paper in college about a Daredevil story in which Matt gives up being Daredevil, and doesn't don the costume til halfway through the story

He eventually has this big moment where he's unmasked in a seedy bar and tells all the criminal scum I'm Hell's Kitchen that he's the boss now and nothing comes in or out without his say so
And then I believe he winds up in a hospital with a crippled Bullseye and plays Russian Roulette with him
And it sounded badass.
If some based anon could post that I'd be forever grateful.
>>
File: JrJrDD.jpg (318 KB, 758x1134) Image search: [Google]
JrJrDD.jpg
318 KB, 758x1134
>>78047801
>There is no such thing as an essential comic
I'm still miffed at being called "not comic fan" for not reading For The Man Who Has everything the other day.

Anyways, for the most part I liked Nocenti as a writer. Is she a bit preachy? Yeah sure, but no worse than a lot of other writers who want to actually address some of the really weird social, political and economic factors of both the real and cape world. Sometimes it can feel really disingenuous to have the narrative ignore these, depending on the tone of comic/background of the characters, and I would include Matt Murdock/Daredevil in that category. But she handled those moments well despite some clumsiness. Also lots of great beats of levity, and emotional weight. Admittedly I've only read a scattered half of her run though

And I adore big blocky, chunky JrJr in his absolute prime, laying big slabs of exuberant art on his pages.

Read what you enjoy OP. If you're a fair whack into a run and not enjoying it, then stop. Move on. I never finished Bendis's Daredevil and I never will and I haven't the slightest bit of guilt over that.
>>
>>78048038
The part with him playing russian roulette wit bullseye is from Miller's run, and the pary where je declares himself kingpin of Hell's Kitchen is from Bendis' run almost 30 years later. Those are the top 2 runs on daredevil you should definitely give em a read
>>
>>78040131
there's something heartwarming about a fairly upfront ideological agenda.
this doesn't necessarily make the comic bad though, for example Morrison's Animal Man was great despite the very obvious environmentalist message.
>>
>>78040131
Nocenti created a bunch of interesting characters with potential in DD that haven't been explored since her run. I kinda want to know how Bullet's son Lance or the bum with the baby ended up
>>
>>78044018
Why do you say that about soule's run when there's only one issue
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.