[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Marvel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: star-wars-1-joe-quesada-cover.jpg (956 KB, 1552x1200) Image search: [Google]
star-wars-1-joe-quesada-cover.jpg
956 KB, 1552x1200
So according to Reddit, the Marvel Star Wars comics are amazing and better than anything Dark Horse ever produced while according to the Star Wars Rebels general they're mediocre shlock.
These are both cancerous places so who do I believe, /co/?
>>
>>77872387
its meh
>>
I've lost count of how many times Luke has fought Vader before meeting him for the first time in ESB
>>
form your own opinion you dumb faggot.
>>
Darth Vader is good despite Larocca

Star Wars is shit despite Immonen.
>>
>>77872624
>namefag
>calling anyone else a dumb faggot
>>
>>77872603
That's certainly one way that won't dilute the impact of the actual lightsaber duel in ESB.
>>
>>77872387
They're a lot worse than the Dark Horse stuff. But they're more mainstream and like the movies, very little plot and mostly XD HUMOR so casuals like them
>>
>>77872387
Darth Vader is great.

Literally all of the plot points that /co/ has bitched about were ruses. Luke doesn't really fight vader, han doesn't really have a wife and none of them know how to use the lightsabers they use
>>
>>77872387
What does your heart tell you?

>>77872651
Now this is a wrong opinion. Darth Vader is total shit.
>>
It's a series that has to operate with a lot of constraints, so you only get to see rehashed bits from the movies.
>>
>>77872703
I may be a dumb faggot but you know i'm right.
>>
>>77872842
No one really cared about Luke fighting Vader except that one dude who kept spamming it.]

Also I'll give the Starwars general one thing. It's the only general in the board that doesn't have fanfiction posted in it.

Also its middling in terms of quality.
I find them pretty good, but I liked some of the stories of the old EU more.
>>
>>77872387
Darth Vader is top notch

Star Wars are kinda...meh. They do have great moments and overall story but is missing something.
>>
>>77873012
I think luke's part has been great throughout but the part with han's wife was kinda ehh. It wasn't that his wife sucked it was just kind of ehh trying to escape the empire
>>
>>77873012
>It's the only general in the board that doesn't have fanfiction posted in it.

An overabundance of 'headcanon' though.
>>
File: Vader_and_aphra_stare.jpg (69 KB, 1000x578) Image search: [Google]
Vader_and_aphra_stare.jpg
69 KB, 1000x578
>>77872880
>Darth Vader is total shit.
Gillen does fucking Cyclops tier work on Vader. He understands the character and exploits something I haven't questioned when I was watching EMB, like, yeah, how come Vader became new Tarkin? Death Star was blown on his watch. It was nothing particularly important to the movie, there were better things to talk about, but getting coverage of Vader's rise to power is a good thing.

Especially when we're getting top tier waifu.
>>
>>77873057
>>77872842
>>77872651
>Darth Vader is good

Are you people reading the same book I am? Darth Vader is exactly as shit as the rest of them.
>>
File: 1390141146832.jpg (193 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1390141146832.jpg
193 KB, 800x800
>>77873198
>Especially when we're getting top tier waifu.
>>
>>77873212
Is a slow-building, backstabbing, full of good side-characters and with some decent HoC kinda-ish story.

Except the Droid Army and the "replacements" it is a good book.
>>
>>77873186
Yes, but that's most of the generals anyway.
>>
>>77872842
>Luke doesn't really fight vader, han doesn't really have a wife and none of them know how to use the lightsabers they use
Mind expounding on the fuller context of what you're talking about?

At least for the first two; I've already heard about the third, though there isn't any explanation for how R2-D2 (or lightsabers, which still require electricity) can work after an EMP blast.
>>
Kanan is best marvel SW book
>>
File: commander-karbin.jpg (489 KB, 943x1469) Image search: [Google]
commander-karbin.jpg
489 KB, 943x1469
>>77873271
>full of good side-characters

Oh yeah, these guys are amazing. So great, just what Star Wars needs more of.

>>77873198
>waifu

See, this is why you can't take anyone seriously when they say they like this book.
>>
>>77873330
Luke and Vader are on the same planet and Luke goes to fight him and vader just completely manhandles him. Luke swings the saber like once before vader just takes it. It's hard to even call it a fight that's how short it is.

Not entirely sure how lightsabers would work through an EMP blast. they got space magic in them, I wouldn't think about it too hard
>>
>>77872842
>Literally all of the plot points that /co/ has bitched about were ruses.
Exactly, they were ruses for the sake of fucking ruses, they added absolutely fucking nothing.

The only relevant things Star Wars showed us is how Han Solo became affiliated with Rebels.
>>
>>77873198
>top tier waifu

What a surprise. The book is loved by waifufags.
>>
>>77873433

You totally didn't read the part where I said I didn't like the replacements right?
>>
>>77873433
>not-Grievous Mon Cal
Jesus, and they said the EU was silly.
>>
You know, the fact that tongue in cheek has taken over geek culture has made everything worse.
>>
>>77873477
>Luke and Vader are on the same planet and Luke goes to fight him and vader just completely manhandles him. Luke swings the saber like once before vader just takes it. It's hard to even call it a fight that's how short it is.

Hmm. By the way you worded it, I thought it was going to be a dream sequence or something.
But I think the primary problem with the scene, at least for some people, is that it lessens the impact of Luke and Vader's first meeting in ESB.

And it's always space magic, isn't it? That's always the excuse.
>>
>>77873487
Did you read the part where you said 'good side characters'? Because there really isn't a single one.

The only people who like this book are the fucks who waifu the goggles girl and the edgelords who think murderous C3PO and R2 are HI-larious concepts.
>>
>>77873488
And this is the book the EU shitters are saying is the best one.
>>
File: Bt_burns_the_droids.jpg (206 KB, 1316x947) Image search: [Google]
Bt_burns_the_droids.jpg
206 KB, 1316x947
>>77873488
Wait until you see evil R2 and C-3PO.
>>
>>77873581
That is your opinion, and your opinion is not a fact.

Different people like different things, get over-it.
>>
>>77873566
I thought it would lessen the impact too but when reading it it really doesn't. Luke is going to fight vader in ESB and actually fight him with training. Luke is just a stupid kid in this book. The only training he has is from kenobi which is nothing.

Think of it more as a lesson in humility for luke
>>
>>77873670
Then don't tell people your shit book is good. Tell them you think it's good.
>>
>>77873879
Is implied when you say something is good is your opinion not a fact.
>>
>>77873979
It's also implied when you say something is not good.
>>
File: 562a8f6c24e23.jpg (61 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
562a8f6c24e23.jpg
61 KB, 640x420
>>77873670
>>77873851
>>77873879

What hath postmodernism wrought
>>
>>77872387
Well considering 4chan is the worst offender when it comes about opinions...
>>
>>77872387
>so who do I believe, /co/?
Yourself.
>>
>>77873851
Fair enough, but overall it still lessens the emotional drama in the fuller context.

And the dialogue doesn't help, either.
>>
>>77872387
Kanan has been the best comic so far and maybe Lando both with pretty good story and art
>>
Marvel finally got their hands on Vader and the first thing they did with him was give him a quirky manic pixie dream girl sidekick and had him start speaking in quips.

The insults write themselves, you don't even need to apply creative writing. You can just state what happens in the new Marvel Star Wars comics factually and have it count as a knockdown.
>>
>>77877345
Isn't Aphra basically evil female space Indiana Jones? Besides, Darth Vader has always spoken in quips, especially in ESB tho which these comics are leading up to
>Apology accepted, Captain Needa
>I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further…
Though I do admit that there are too many quips
>>
>>77877818
>Isn't Aphra basically evil female space Indiana Jones?

No.

>Apology accepted, Captain Needa
Those aren't quips.
>>
>>77878260
>>Apology accepted, Captain Needa
This is a quip.
>>
>>77878947
Debatable, but how anyone could think
is a quip is beyond me.
>>
>>77872387
Reddit never read the Dark Horse comics, obviously. They just heard about some stupid shit in them and decided they were all stupid.

Stuff I found to be stupid:

-Leia is apparently a master of staff combat and melee combat in general, even besting her teacher at one point as a child. Takes out someone with 500 pounds on her. We just never knew! For raisins!
-Evil clones of R2D2 and C3PO. This is dumb. Just so dumb. Clear fanfiction stupidity.
-Binks level slapstick stupidity being crammed into the OT era.
-Luke's supposed feats of progress seem debatable for the pre-ESB era.

If you ignore this stuff it's entertaining.
>>
>>77879205
>Reddit never read the Dark Horse comics, obviously. They just heard about some stupid shit in them and decided they were all stupid.

Sounds like most of /co/ actually. Especially in the Rebels thread. It seems like only 2 or 3 people here have actually read the Dark Horse comics and people just follow their lead when they shit on them.
>>
They're not very good. Like at all.
>>
>>77879205
She's a field commander in the rebellion against the Empire. It stands to reason that she knows how to fight, so I dont see that as a reasonable complaint. I agree with the rest though.
>>
>>77879205
>Stuff I found to be stupid:
That's stuff in the recent comics for anyone that might be confused.
>>77879335
Let's try to fix that a bit, Dark Horse comics...away!

https://mega.nz/#F!j99HEbrC!GP5TSEEbrBYZIZ73xod4fg
>>
>>77879205
>Leia is apparently a master of staff combat and melee combat in general, even besting her teacher at one point as a child. Takes out someone with 500 pounds on her. We just never knew! For raisins!

I don't see what's so bad about Leia being a master of combat. When we first see her, she's a leader of the Rebel Alliance at 19 years old. I would assume she knows how to defend herself. She was more than capable as a fighter in all the movies.
>>
>>77879335
I'm probably a minority here, but I never really read superhero comics as a kid. Instead, I read the dark horse star wars comics. Man, I really do miss the Tales.
>>
>>77879401
Sure she knows how to fight, and that is a reasonable assumption, but that she is an absolute fucking master staff fighter? It stands to reason that that skill would have come up somewhere already.
>>
>>77879401
You can tell from the films that Leia doesn't really know what she's doing, if she'd been trained how to fight you would be able to tell it from ANH.

Leia is NOT a fighter that was trained since she was a child in martial arts and staff combat that can defeat her master and a freaking Gamorrean guard.

Leia IS a teenager that could be beaten to death by the average 15 year old boy in a fight.

THAT IS OKAY

What made Leia great was not the fact she was some badass warrior, she was someone that had all it needed to fight against great evil.

BRAVERY, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO FIGHT

Those things made Leia great, because she the average girl with evil all around her that stood up and said TO HELL WITH YOUR EVIL EMPIRE! To which the Empire would scoff and say what could a girl do? The answer: ANYTHING I CAN

That's Leia.
>>
>>77879205
>-Binks level slapstick stupidity being crammed into the OT era.
You apparently need to watch the OT, they had plenty of crappy comedy.
>>
>>77879637
You don't seem to understand what Binks level is.

Two retards fucking running headlong into each other by accident and knocking each other out while trying to kill each other is some goofy 3 stooges/binks level stuff.
>>
Both the dark horse and marvel stuff is great. What really puts marvel ahead though is the art. Outside of cam kennedy dark horse rarely had great looking stuff
>>
>>77879684
Ewoks, man. What are you, repressing them?
>>
>>77879690
Marvel has Noto and thats it. Everyone else has been tracing like crazy.
>>
>>77879739
>Their sheer existence is Binks level

Nah, they died horribly at times. Much more dignified than anything Binks did.
>>
>>77879690
Cassaday, Larroca and Deodato are all awful, even if the first one used to be good.
>>
>>77879684
That waspworm headbutt thing was embarrassing, I admit. It indeed felt like it was from the prequels/Clone Wars series in terms of "comedy"
>>
>>77879690
Duursema's stuff was great, and she didn't trace unlike some of Marvel's artists.
>>
>>77879774
Bush lied. Gungans died.
>>
>>77879518
You seem triggered by a comic book.

You need to stop.
>>
>>77879684
They weren't running around in circles. They panicked and ran straight forward. Guess what was directly in front of them? The other person they'd moments earlier been shooting at. Stupid? Sure, but hardly that difficult to figure out what happened.
>>
>>77879518
>You can tell from the films that Leia doesn't really know what she's doing, if she'd been trained how to fight you would be able to tell it from ANH.

She's blasting Stormtroopers with the best of them. In ANH, in Empire, and she's even leading a striketeam to take out a base in Return of the Jedi.

She's always been a soldier. In the movies, in Dark Horse, and now in Marvel too.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.