[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Family Guy characters always hold their hands out like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: maxresdefault.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
Why do Family Guy characters always hold their hands out like this when they talk?
>>
so it looks like there's more going on than just their mouths moving
>>
>>77806481
Because they are all mansplaining
>>
>>77806481
They probably animate it to drive the viewer's attention away from the fact that only the characters' mouths are moving and create the illusion of actual animation.

Or maybe they're doing some jedi mind trick shit.
>>
Ever since I noticed this it's been aggravating the hell out of me any time I happen to catch a glimpse of Family Guy. It's EVERY SINGLE SCENE someone's talking and their hands out. They either do it with one hand or both, and they occasionally have both hands held out like that, but far apart.
>>
Do you guys not move your hands when you talk?
>>
Some kind of gesticulation that Rhode Islanders do? I dunno. My mom's Italian-American and she gesticulates like crazy when she talks. I remember she was doing it while driving and was jerking the car back and forth because of it.

I also do it, but to a lesser degree. I mostly start manipulating something invisible with my hands because I'm visualizing something in my head and I forget that other people can't see it.
>>
>>77806697
Not into one pre-programmed motion roboticly whenever I start speaking. They usually move to accentuate what I'm saying.
>>
File: Dawn's_VS_Sprite.png (4 KB, 96x64) Image search: [Google]
Dawn's_VS_Sprite.png
4 KB, 96x64
>>77806481
To distract from the shitty art style.
>>
>>77806738
>My mom's Italian-American and she gesticulates like crazy when she talks.

Same. There's a joke that if you want an Italian to stop talking, you tie their hands behind their back.

But in the case of Family Guy, they aren't using their hands to articulate, they are just holding out their hand arbitrarily in the same position every single time regardless of what they are saying.
>>
>>77807074
It's kinda like how hanna barbera cartoons moved their heads up and down when they talked only 1000 times more retarded looking
>>
>>77806481
Because that's what people do IRL
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63wJItfmu_0
>>
>>77809177
it's the pic of walt disney at the end that really makes it
>>
It's their equivalent to the Johnny Test whip, pretty much.
>>
>>77809177
An episode must take like ten minutes to animate at this point.
>>
le italian hand
>>
I think it's the autistic emulation of body language.
>>
>>77806481
>>77809177
I'm not sure what you guys want. Should they be doing backflips and shit while talking? There's plenty of visual things to criticize in Family Guy, but this feels like nitpicking.
>>
>>77806481
because talking with both of your hands down is even weirder
>>
>>77810706
It's about how boring it looks. The background is stale and uninteresting, there isn't much of a joke or focus for the scene by the looks of it, it's just them sitting at the table doing nothing but talking. It's not engaging at all and just looks lazy, at least have the characters standing or interacting with something while they talk.
Moving their hands around a bit and having shitty lip sync with a few blinks here and there just isn't good animation.
>>
>>77810706
>Should they be doing backflips and shit while talking?

Yes that's the literal solution OP was looking for, Good point. I guess the thread's over.
>>
File: H7ZwcO8.png (265 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
H7ZwcO8.png
265 KB, 500x377
I don't know what to do with my hands, so I just smoke.
>>
Because it's a writers show.
>>
Family Guy drinking game: Every time someone holds their hand out like this, chug until they put their hands down.
>>
South Park legit has better animation than Family Guy
>>
>>77810867

Yeah you never really see characters talk while they do every day tasks like normal people, or at least not often enough.

In fact there's a lot of stuff like that, in older seasons lowis always seemed busy with house work. Now its like she sits around all day and does nothing. Kind of makes her seem like a lazy bitch.

>at least have the characters standing
>Joe standing

kek
>>
>>77810706
I still get bothered at how every time someone falls or gets knocked out, they have that same pose. You know the one.
>>
>>77814399
Holy fuck i thought i was the only one that noticed that.

Its always lay on one side, arm extended, other arm bent back, one leg extended, other leg bent back.
>>
>>77806643
Bugs the hell out of me, too. I don't watch Family Guy past season 4, but I tend to keep my TV running on [adult swim], and sometimes when I look behind me, I'll see those fucking bored expressions and the two or three arm gestures they do while talking.

Like >>77814306
pointed out, characters used to be doing various things while talking in the early seasons, but now they just sit or MAYBE stand.
>>
I swear they use Go!Animate to make the show nowadays.
I personally work on flash cartoons that have more movement than this.
>>
>>77806481
Because that's what happens when you stay 100% on model and refuse to deviate off of it.

>>77810706
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOgS8gTATv8&ab_channel=Graylandertagger

Look, its mostly people talking liek it is in family guy. But things are more organic. They emote with their lines, their emotions are in their movements.
>>
>>77810706
>change camera angles
>emote more
>>
>>77814156
You're not even wrong.
>>
File: anime_then_now.jpg (146 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
anime_then_now.jpg
146 KB, 1280x480
IT'S EXPRESSIVE!
LIKE ANIME!
THERE ARE FIVE OR SIX GESTURES AND YOU USE THEM TO BE EXPRESSIVE!

what's that? there are thousands of human gestures and facial expressions?

BULLSHIT! THERE ARE ONLY FIVE OR SIX GESTURES!
>>
>>77814156
>>77818050
But South Park has good animation, especially when it wants to, just a choppy design and style.
>>
Family Guy confirmed to be the >B^Uckley of professional animations.
>>
>>77818058
>le anime all looks the same meme
>>
>>77818140
>le not reading the post meme
>>
>>77807074
>But in the case of Family Guy, they aren't using their hands to articulate, they are just holding out their hand arbitrarily in the same position every single time regardless of what they are saying.
Part of that has to come from animation shortcuts. If it has visible multiple fingers and looks like a human hand, we can accept it. When hands are in different angles that reduce the number of visible fingers, with such a uniform lined style like Family Guy it might look bizarre. To the uninclined, they see an arm with a hand moving during talking and leave it at that, but those who actually notice can see it as an artificial gesture with abnormal posturing, abnormal due to how the wrist is angled and the fingers are all tight.

tl;dr just lazy.
>>
>>77814399
>>77816522

I thinks that its a running gag.
>>
>>77817922
look man, I agree with you
but you're comparing animation from +10 years ago the one done these days.
simpsons nowadays is pretty robotic, and fg used to be more fluid
>>
>>77806481

How come Joe only has three fingers?
>>
>>77818050
>not even wrong.
adam sandler was never funny anon
>>
>>77806481
because it's subsconcious bodytalk...we all use our hands in some way as we are talking to each other, that's how we express ourselves...Å‘icking nose,leaning them on our chests, crossing them etc...in family guy the characters don't lie when they are talking and this shows they are open minded and honest...take a closer look at these scripts...just like when Peter regrets something and tells a big sorry or what he has learnt today...if you use your hands like downways then you are holding back something or want to be dominant or not honest...the most common in this case the dominant stuff
>>
>>77806481
>>77806643
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. It's the same damn generic pose for every character.
>>
Stiff animation is what happens when you spend half your budget on voice actors.
>>
>>77810706
Even South Park has better talking animation, with the way their heads move around as they speak. Family Guy used to do that a little too.
>>
>>77814156
If South Park characters had outlines, regular hands, better legs, and didn't hop around whenever they walked, it would just be a great looking show. The hopping around is still really funny to watch, though.
>>
>>77821654
>.in family guy the characters don't lie when they are talking and this shows they are open minded and honest...take a closer look at these scripts...just like when Peter regrets something and tells a big sorry or what he has learnt today...if you use your hands like downways then you are holding back something or want to be dominant or not honest...the most common in this case the dominant stuff

This post is some sort of digital anomaly
>>
I'm pretty sure at this point the talking animation is procedurally generated.
>>
I also hate when somebody says something nice and then one person tilts their head a little and squints their eyes, and the other person tilts their head and squints their eyes. It looks so bad and it happens all the time.
>>
>>77806536
>>77806629
This is the only legitimate reason
>>
File: FG pheasant on the glass.webm (843 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FG pheasant on the glass.webm
843 KB, 1280x720
Animation. I thought it could of had more jiggles.
>>
>>77810706
>camera angles
>emote
>head movement
>body movement
>perform menial tasks in the background like wash dishes or make a cup of coffee or sweep the fucking floor literally fucking anything at all
>>
>>77814399
this this this a million fucking times this fucking christ chris you fucking hack
>>
>>77806481

>tfw when I express myself with my hands a lot, especially when I'm frustrated or excited
>tfw people find it weird
>tfw i have a pretty monotone voice so relying on my hands to add emotion only makes it worse
>>
Was Family Guy's animation always ridiculously lazy?

I watched clips from the Surfin' Bird episode and the animation is so stiff and lifeless and recycled - Peter does the exact same dance every single time.
>>
>>77827460
Needs more hands outward when he talks.
>>
File: JohnnyTest_by_baddcat.jpg (438 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
JohnnyTest_by_baddcat.jpg
438 KB, 800x600
>>77821852
you mean poses like this right

it's like they are waiting for a tip
>>
>>77819414
>but you're comparing animation from +10 years ago the one done these days.

I'm not comparing, I'm answering the question >>77817922
asked with "what do you want them to do"

time of animation has nothing to do with it.
>>
Me and my brothers are doing a family guy rewatch. The earlier seasons did have "rougher" drawings and the animation really isn't the best, but it was leagues better than nu-family guy. They used different angles, different poses, hell they made people move when others are talking. In Family Guy, everyone just stares blankly at the speaker until they get to speak. It's kinda creepy actually.
Like, I'd say the peak for the animation is either season 3 and season 4, and I'd say season 4 have some animation decay onto it.
>>
>>77810706
Change the camera angle, and have the characters move more naturally instead of moving once and returning to the same resting position they started in.
>>
>>77830105
No, the earlier seasons had the characters actually doing things while talking.

The Surfin' Bird episode is past the Point of No Return for Family Guy.
>>
File: Pheasant.jpg (169 KB, 1280x841) Image search: [Google]
Pheasant.jpg
169 KB, 1280x841
>>77827460
That's a cock pheasant though...
>>
File: 9,999,999% MAD.jpg (96 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
9,999,999% MAD.jpg
96 KB, 500x738
The worst fucking part to me is the fucking "emotional" scenes where they do the hand thing, and THEN do the fucking lazy slowly-tilt-your-head-while-slowly-squinting thing.

I fucking swear, it tries to be emotional and it just fucking can't. It looks like Buckley's CAD shit. It became increasingly obvious when Lisa did it to Meg on Simpsons Guy.
>>
>>77825200
Whoops, didn't mean to say the same thing.
>>
>>77831416
She has makeup on.
>>
File: It's a man baby.jpg (164 KB, 1600x1202) Image search: [Google]
It's a man baby.jpg
164 KB, 1600x1202
>>77832941
I'm sorry but...
>>
Given that cartoons are apparently so expensive to draw and such a chore to animate I feel like we should just go back to the days when the family would gather around the radio and listen to dramas and stories on there.
>>
>>77833035
Motherfucker I'd be out of a job.
>>
>>77810706
People, people, please. Just because it's a dramatic scene, doesn't mean you can't do a little comedy in the background. Throw a pie or two, for God's sake.
>>
>>77833035
It sounds awesome, until you actually do it.

Besides you can kind of already do that with Podcasts. Same thing.
>>
>>77810706
It's pretty shitty considering it "takes $2M to make each episode" and with that quality especially evolving from the earlier seasons says something
>>
>>77830085
dude you're just Italian. I do it to don't worry
>>
>>77830440
Season 3 and 4 are also the show's peak in writing, season 3 being the show's peak in being funny with a little heart and season 4 being the show's peak in just being funny.
>>
File: Family_Guy_Stewie_tuba.gif (67 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Family_Guy_Stewie_tuba.gif
67 KB, 720x480
>>77814399
you mean this one?
>>
>>77834995
>STEWIE'S ARM
FUCK
>>
>>77835072
Well in that scene it makes sense.
>>
File: f4d.jpg (56 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
f4d.jpg
56 KB, 800x450
>>77806643
>>77814399
>>77816522
>>77834995
>>
>>77827460
>when /co/ has an avian FOTM
>>
File: IMG_20151130_221754-1.jpg (977 KB, 2418x1805) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151130_221754-1.jpg
977 KB, 2418x1805
Y'all are telling me you don't hold your hands out like this while talking?
>>
>>77836502
missing the lean forward with both arms out to the side to show sarcasm
>>
>>77813128
Half the time, the dialogue is used as a segue. The jokes are also supposed to stand by themselves, and they really abuse character archetypes thing to tell the jokes.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.