[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Good Dinosaur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14
File: tgd.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tgd.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
How is it?
>>
>>77797161
Alright.
>>
good
>>
Its decent, but its probably the most kid orientated pixar movie since cars.
>>
>>77797161
I would say it was good if it was made by Dreamworks
Easily bottom 3 pixar movies
>>
Surprisingly good. It's a slow build up though, but when you finally realize what you're watching([spoilers]Cowboy Dinosaurs[/spoilers]) it becomes such a fun ride.
>>
A few more of these and I think it'd be time to take Pixar out back behind the barn.
>>
>>77797194
I'm sure they will make up for it with Finding Dory and Toy Story 4
>>
>>77797291
I just threw up a little.
>>
>>77797161
Dat ass
>>
>>77797194
well since cars and cars 2 are the bottom 2 that would mean this movie is worse than monsters U (or brave if you see it that way)

so is that true?
>>
>>77797210
Thanks for the spoilers anon. Appreciate it.
>>
Mediocre even for the kids, according to my godkids.
>>
My god the dino's voice was insufferable
>>
File: Seymour_Barf.jpg (29 KB, 212x300) Image search: [Google]
Seymour_Barf.jpg
29 KB, 212x300
>>77797291
>sequel
>>
How was the little kid able to smell the herd from that far away, when human's sense of smell is terrible?
>>
>>77797185
Goddammit, I had this joke in mind when I entered this thread.
>>
>>77797376

Aw, I liked MU.

Well, as a cheesy college film at least.
>>
Do you guys think a six year old would like this? I'm debating bringing my nephew
>>
>>77797465
This is an alternate timeline. Evolution happened differently. Humans have a better sense of smell, and dinosaurs are smarter as a result of evolving in a different environment than the real world.
>>
>>77797512

You'll lose him after the short. The first act is a slog.
>>
>>77797161

It had a good joke, at least.

It was kinda neat how the Rexes moved like they were riding horses too.
>>
>>77797512
Probably? All Pixar movies are fine for kids.
>>
youre exactly right. i saw it coming that the t-rex's wouldn't be "evil" like normal, but when the trex's would run, they looked like they were riding horses, and thats when the movie clicked for me. mad respect for the animators that could protray that so well
>>
>>77797161
Subtle.
>>
>>77797722
in reply to >>77797210
>>
I don't think Pixar will ever top HTTYD. This movie and Inside Out confirms it.
>>
File: 24526.jpg (12 KB, 244x251) Image search: [Google]
24526.jpg
12 KB, 244x251
>>77797759
>>
File: Triangle4-1-3.png (131 KB, 465x481) Image search: [Google]
Triangle4-1-3.png
131 KB, 465x481
>>77797759
Whats the reasoning for shitposting?
>>
>>77797759
pixar is being held up to a crazy standard now and i feel bad for them. The only movies i give them shit for are brave and cars 2. Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur are great movies. I have bad taste though, i really didnt like HTTYD
>>
low key the whole "alternate timeline of evolution" thing is really fucking cool
>>
File: 1448120753338.png (41 KB, 227x191) Image search: [Google]
1448120753338.png
41 KB, 227x191
>>77797759
you trying to fool me son?
>>
I liked this movie much more than most people on here seem to.

The story is a very typical one but the animation and the art direction were amazing. It had some truly beautiful scenery. I think viewers have become so used to CGI these days that I think they've stopped appreciating it when it's really well done.
>>
File: httyd2_greater_than_sots.png (2 MB, 1280x948) Image search: [Google]
httyd2_greater_than_sots.png
2 MB, 1280x948
>>77797759
No argument there.
>>
>>77797161
I want to see it, but I have no one to go with.

It looks cute.
>>
Why is Disney flooding every market?
Capeshit? Put out 10 Marvel movies a year
Animation? Put out 10 Pixar/Disney animated movies a year
Star Wars? Make one every year, and make MCU Star Wars when not making star wars
>>
>>77797161
Okay, it's obviously targeted at babbys though.
>>
>>77797937
>why is a company trying to make money
>>
>>77797759
I agree, but i didn't see inside out yet
>>
>>77797826
HTTYD is one of my favourite movies of all time but I feel that it is underrated and has yet to receive the popularity it deserves. Im worried that this film will overshadow it, Is that possible?
>>
>>77797697
I don't know man, I took a 6 year old to see Inside Out and she didn't seem to understand it and got bored. And seemingly every other kid in the theater too.Never taking a kid to see a film ever again.
>>
>>77797556
It's still retarded.
>>
>>77798981
HTTYD is perfectly rated as it is, it's good but it's not my favorite Dreamworks film, which would be Either Prince of Egypt or KFP It has a sizeable fanbase here and on Tumblr and I seriously doubt that The Good Dinosaur would overshadow HTTYD.
>>
>>77797697
Not true, Inside Out bored the shit out of most kids
>>
>>77798996
I took my 6 year old sibling to Inside Out and she was too restless and scared. A week or so later though she was explaining the plot to Grandma.
>>
>>77797376
Monsters University wasn't very original in its setup, but the ending was amazing.
>>
>>77798996
I think inside out was for kids a bit older. It feels like it was a movie for pre-teens/teens.
>>
>>77797291
wew
>>
>>77799327
[citation needed]
>>
>>77799401
This thread provides reasonable anecdotal evidence, if that's not good enough for you then you can kiss my black ass
>>
File: movie_theater_40956.jpg (38 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
movie_theater_40956.jpg
38 KB, 600x300
Seems like a bunch of theater goers are here.

What's the best time to see an animated movie?
>>
>>77799497
I usually go in the morning during the week, or the latest possible showing at the weekend

I specifically like Tuesdays before 2pm
>>
>>77797376
Yeah
I actually might say cars 1 is better, TGD is that bad
>>
>>77797376
Cars 2 is the only downright bad movie Pixar has made.

Other than shekels, I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they made it.
>>
Pixar's best days are behind it imo.
>>
File: 1392202969031.jpg (48 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
1392202969031.jpg
48 KB, 500x255
>>77799860
>>
if any drawfags are here can I make a /r/equest? can you draw arlo dragging his bleeding body around after having just gnawed his own leg off 127 hours style after the bit where his leg was trapped under the rock?
>>
>>77797161
Why did apes evolve into humans but dinosaurs remained unchanged?
>>
>>77800458
otherwise how would you know they're dinosaurs
>>
>>77800458
Why change when you already is awesome?
>>
>>77800503
They would still look reptilian? I dunno, maybe something like the Dinosaurs show. They already have them like it's like the 1800's.
>>
>>77800458
They did evolve. Into big-eyed cartoons.
>>
>>77797556
I'd love to see how people are going to try and shoehorn this movie into the pixar theory.
>>
>>77800608
METEOR HITS: Pixar Timeline 1
METEOR DOESN'T HIT: Pixar Timeline 2
>>
They needed to cut the antics of the first half (tripping on fruit, Forrester), add at least one more scene with Thunder Clap to make him main villain status and tie him into the theme of dealing with fear, and a little longer with the t rex ranchers.
>>
>>77800608
Pixar theory?

I'm guessing that this is some Zelda shit, right?
>>
>>77800608
Boos magic fucks up the timelines, as Boo being able to time travel is a key part of pixar theory
>>
it's not terrible.
>>
>>77797161
It tasted like chicken.
>>
>>77800657
No. Some people with too much time on their hands insist that all Pixar movies take place in the same universe because of all the cross-references.
>>
File: 1326442596159.gif (1 MB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1326442596159.gif
1 MB, 193x135
>>77802465
>http://www.pixartheory.com/
>Cars
>When animals rose up against the humans to stop the pollution, the machines saved the humans and they won the war. However since machines helped humans win, it tipped the balance on Earth. Machines/BnL had to send the remaining humans off into space on a ship called Axiom. All of the other machines were left behind to populate the world and run things.
>>
>>77800608
>>77800635

This.

Cars is also in the meteor hits time line. Why else would the main sponsor be... dino-co?
>>
>>77799294
thats good, now if we can only get it that oscar
>>
>>77803632
They're saving it for the next movie, which will probably be a feelsfest even bigger than Stoick's death.
>>
File: 1447100393576.png (40 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
1447100393576.png
40 KB, 152x254
>>77797291
>>
How is it really? Without memeing?

I'm thinking on going just to see the zootopia trailer, but I might not if it isn't good.
>>
>>77797937
Disney owns something like 80% of all entertainment
>>
>>77799497
Late night showing
Weekdays
a long time after its come out (so between normal theaters and going to dollar theaters)
Though I live in a college town so animated movies really only have college aged people and up, and mostly its a good environment in animated and serious movies
But fuck college students at horror movies
>>
>>77805066
>I'm thinking on going just to see the zootopia trailer
Do you send your posts by falcon for someone else to transcribe or do you not know what youtube is?
>>
>>77805235

I want to see the trailer in 3D?
>>
>moral of the story is fortune favors the bold
well that's a pretty pedestrian lesson
>>
File: 1233434426111.png (36 KB, 200x142) Image search: [Google]
1233434426111.png
36 KB, 200x142
First hour of the film dragged on, I couldn't bring myself to care for Arlo but it might have been his voice that bothered me. I just remember finding him rather irritating.

Last 40 minutes or so, however, are done fairly well and more on par with what Pixar can do. Shame the first half is so dull that it made it hard for me to care about the rest of the film.

Those backdrops are gorgeous, however. Easily some of Pixar's best animation to date.
>>
File: caranatomydi2.jpg (50 KB, 1000x552) Image search: [Google]
caranatomydi2.jpg
50 KB, 1000x552
>>77800608
>>77800635
>>77802732
No, Cars is in the "Meteor Doesn't Hit" Timeline

When working on the first Cars, Steve Purcell came up with and pitched a explanation for how the Cars work: Enslaved Cavemen are neurally linked to their brains and are what drive them around. When a Car crashes and their Caveman dies, they have to go to the farm island to get a new one. However, none of the other Pixar story guys went for it.

But now, consider Lightning McQueen's dreams about starring in science fiction movies where he fights sparkplug tripods to save the world from aliens. That wasn't an ordinary dream, that was a genetic memory inside all cars about the day thousands of years before that they cyberformed the planet to resculpt the land in the image of vehicles and machines, killed all the dinosaurs and animal life, and enslaved the cavepeople.

Ka-chow motherfucker.

Now give me a million reshares on all the social medias and dozens of videos of YouTubers spouting out this idea I just pulled out of my ass as if it was gospel.
>>
It's a great movie when you take into consideration that Pixar was trying to tell a story that relied almost entirely on its visuals. Even all of the dialogue was super simplistic, and almost perfunctory, there are many stretches with little-to-no dialogue and all the important emotional moments don't even have dialogue. The thing is, a visual story is by its very nature going to be simplistic, so I get why a lot of people feel this is kids stuff, but I'm pretty fascinated by what they were trying to do and the visuals were so great I feel it succeeded.
>>
It's shit
>>
>>77806125
No it's not. WALL-E was better and the two protagonists were robots
>>
The first act did drag a bit but like others have said the visuals were top notch(leagues ahead of any other studio) and the music was great and the simple story was pretty moving. I had a good time. As a fan of animation, I'll probably add this to my collection when it comes out.
>>
Story was average, but I'll be damned if I didn't tear up a couple of times, those fucking sticks and circles got me.
>>
Definitely not one of their strongest films, but I thought it was pretty good. It's just getting some hard treatment based on it being a Pixar film. Miles better than Cars 2.
>>
>>77797291
>they'll make up for a good enough movie with two sequels, one being based on a 13 year old movie and another coming out closer to 10 then 5 years after the 3rd movie, almost the same amount of time for the 3rd to come out after the 2nd
>>
>>77797161
I think this is like Cars' movie. I'm wrong?
>>
I think that this movie was better than Bug's Life, as well as both of the Cars movies and Brave, but that's it.
>>
It's a hot mess.

It's still a good movie. The animators managed to salvage it.

But you can really see where all the executive meddling really fucked with it. Could have been great.
>>
>>77797161
After watching it, I got to wondering what the movie had been shaping up to be before Pixar went back and reworked it. More interesting, I hope. For a Pixar movie, this seemed pretty dull honestly.
>>
>>77797918
Burn in Hell contrarian scum.
>>
>>77797161
I feel like the setting is criminally underutilized. It's just the Wild West with goofy looking dinosaurs and humans as the dog stand-in. They could have explored concepts that would have been way more interesting than "generic coming of age story + unlikely friendship." It feels like a film that's very by the numbers. Like Pixar got the concept and decided to phone everything else in.
>>
>>77798020
No, I'm asking why they're devaluing their own products
>>
>>77811598
Pixar's filled with middle and upper management. They have no talent, they have no creativity. The only thing they can do is meddle. So they have to justify their own jobs and salaries by meddling, even if it makes the product worse.

It's caused by bloating. It happens in all sorts of industries. The fix is firing the assholes and having faith in your creative teams. The problem with Pixar is that the top itself is inept and fucking around to justify their own positions.
>>
>>77800608
I like the idea that TGD's events are just a postponed Dino extinction. They'll still go extinct and humans become the dominant species, it just happens a bit later.
>>
>>77797759
Inside Out wins between just those two, and that's not even considering comparisons between HTTYD and films that are slightly superior to Inside Out, like Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo.
>>
Sam Elliot, as usual, makes the movie pretty good. Overall, I liked it. Its like Bugs Life.
>>
>>77811783
I would have rathered a story about dinosaurs having to deal with their traditional "pets" developing beyond them and having to accept friendship rather than mastery.
>>
>>77797161
If you have the choice between it and the Peanuts movie, see the latter.
>>
>>77797511
MU is great, I really don't get what everyone hates about it.

>"We're cousins!"
My fucking sides
>>
>>77797161
Honestly I think this film should've been shelved long-term back when it was in early development, but after the juggernaut that was Inside Out I'm OK with just a breather. Also I've been following it's development for a while and it was a fucking mess, this film might not be much but it could've been a LOT worse than just a bit bland.

More specifically, there's a lot of good stuff going on but it's missing that spark of inspiration and passion that brings Pixar movies to the next level. Also the art style they went with for the dinosaurs, especially Arlo's, should've gone back to the drawing board a couple dozen more times. Needed to blend better with the scenery as well as be more unique looking. Personally I think they should've gone with feathers for all of them but I know that shit's expensive to animate and they're clearly not going for realism so I'll leave it be.
>>
>>77813687
I'm curious about this "bad film future" that could have been, if you'd be kind enough to elaborate.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.