[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>It's a show about animals >Every character dies horribly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
>It's a show about animals
>Every character dies horribly

Watership Down, Akai Koukaishatachi, Felidae, you name it.

How the hell do they get away with this? This is not OK.
>>
>>77778980
Animals die horribly all the time in nature.
>>
>>77778980
>This is not OK.
It's better than OK, it introduces children to the harsh realities of the world with a cute identifiable cast of friendly creatures.

Being animal characters, they also introduce the chance for the writer to make them gender ambiguous and racially neutral, allowing children of all groups to realize that the world doesn't care about them all... equally!
>>
Animals aren't people like us. It's okay if they die.

Let's celebrate this realization with some delicious beef, pork and chicken.
>>
>>77779231
Not when they're given human characteristics, you idiot. Snakes don't even have a cerebral cortex, but in the sense of the narrative they're as human as any character.

Imagine you watched Pokemon and Ash gets run over by a fucking car
>>
>This is not OK.

In the case of Animals of Farthing Wood, it was an environmental story about animals being thrust out of their woodland when its torn down to make way for a housing estate, and then they have to adventure across populated land to find another sanctuary. It's actually a very important thing to teach children to act humanely - look out for wildlife on the roads and farms and in your backyard, and try not to kill or maim them, because they can feel pain and terror, and they're just trying to survive to lead their own lives and have families. Don't set bushfires, and try to preserve pockets of natural habitat in and around human settlements to give the wildlife somewhere to retreat.
>>
>>77779280
>Imagine you watched Pokemon and Ash gets run over by a fucking car
That'd great. I hate that fucker.
>>
>h-how come animals die? it's not OK.
Nature is fucking brutal man. Everyone needs to know how shitty it is to be a animal so you can be thankful Humans are on the top of the food chain.
>>
>>77778980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

It's really easy to kill animal characters. It requires way less character development out of them to get an emotional response from their death. Nobody likes seeing critters die.

Also to add to your list, Doubutsu no Kuni.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>77779422
I'm not sure I can read it, I just got done with Akai Koukaishatachi.

At first I was merely horrified, but when Mishio died, that is when I knew I would never smile again.
>>
>>77778980
watch Leafie: A Hen into the Wild

The fucking curveballs that movie throws at me, oh god
>>
>>77779494
How tragic, a weak, pathetic creature with nothing to live for dying.
>>
>>77779288
This!

We seriously need to implement subtitles for dummies.
>>
>>77779493

If you ever read Zatch Bell it's around the same level. The artist is pretty consistent in his quality.
>>
>>77778980
>Akai Koukaishatachi
Oh god I only heard about this series this morning. All of the sudden I'm not as interested in reading it...

As long as it's apropos of something important, I think death in nature is an effective theme, but I myself don't like it when it's just "Hey kids death exists get used to it. Bye."

My suggestion to this end, though not everyone dies, is the late 70's Sanrio animated movie Ringing Bell/Chirin No Suzu, I thought the theme was amazing. Every death had a reason, and further complicates the situation. Made me wonder what I would have done in that situation, and if there really was such a thing as 'the right thing to do' in it.
>>
>>77778980
>this is not OK
I want the tumblrities to leave
>>
>>77779494
>Leafie: A Hen into the Wild
Oh shit, I should get onto watching that movie.
>>
>>77780126
It is a story about salmon. Have you ever seen a documentary about salmon?
>>
>>77780211
I saw that one neo-futurama episode. That was terribly by the way.
>>
>>77780170

The bogeyman isn't real
>>
>>77778980

Sometime around the 90s, animation had gotten to be so expensive to make that studios were no longer willing to take risks on something that may be too scary or too controversial. They just churned out this milquetoast junk.

Todays marketing is a bit more proactive though, while animation is no longer seen as kids-only entertainment.
>>
How has no one mentioned plague dogs yet? Fuck that movie was good, cried like a bitch at the end. That soundtrack still makes me feel weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9A3aH2toqs
>>
This is why they are not American cartoons most of the time. Little Timmy can't handle real nature.
>>
http://www.cracked.com/article_19768_6-terrifying-childrens-cartoons-from-around-world.html
>>
Watch "The Fox of Chironuppu"

It's based on the author having seen a trap with a baby fox's skeleton in it. The fox cub was caught on the leg and was left to die of starvation.
>>
Man I loved that show
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.