[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Bane so rarely portrayed well in adaptations? For most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12
File: 1363824-bane_044.jpg (86 KB, 928x351) Image search: [Google]
1363824-bane_044.jpg
86 KB, 928x351
Why is Bane so rarely portrayed well in adaptations? For most of his comic career he's portrayed as intelligent and following a specific code of honor and yet pretty much every single cartoon, movie or game portrays him as a dumb brute who is another villain's decoy at best. Where this idea comes from and why is it so popular?
>>
BTAS didn't have him as a dumb brute.
>>
>>77761967
>portrays him as a dumb brute

I honestly think I've only seen that in Brave and the Bold and Batman and Robin.
>>
>>77761967
He's gone nowhere but down since Knightfall.
>>
>>77762108
Arkham games for the most part, too. Also The Batman, sort of.

>>77762107
In how many episodes was he even there? I remember one early on and I think one more after everyone got a redesign.
>>
>>77762108
batman beyond and the batman both had him as a dumb brute, iirc
>>
>>77762107
It's been awhile but I thought they did.

Like I think I remember hearing Bruce Timm isn't even a fan of Bane, because I certainly never found him that impressive in my hazy memories.
>>
>>77762107
He spoke eloquently, but he was still just a hired goon that depended on his strength only.
>>
>>77762179
>batman beyond and the batman both had him as a dumb brute, iirc

They did not, as Bane was a crippled old man in Batman Beyond, and was the same intelligent one from BTAS.

The Batman had him as a mercenary, but hardly a dumb brute. He was articulate, intelligent, and a planner.
>>
>>77762137
Bane's a big guy who served his purpose well in that story but like Doomsday he would have been better off being discarded into comic book limbo.
>>
>>77762215
Yo his design was awful on The Batman though.
>>
>>77762137
I liked him in Gotham Knights and Secret Six prior to that arc where he learned he's going to hell.

>>77762182
Timm never said whether he's a fan of Bane or not iirc, but the producers didn't want him in the show due to the drug gimmick.
>>
>>77762228
Yep. Doomsday and Bane both had their story told and there's not much for them to do after that isn't considered a downgrade.
Simone did an okay job making Bane different but not a dumb brute in Secret Six but I get why some wouldn't like it.
>>
>>77762215
Didn't they change his characterization and voice actor in this show multiple times?
>>
I thought Bane was mostly good in TDKR. Pretty menacing in the way he just needed his bare hands to make you shit your pants. He was also not dumb.

The twist at the end was annoying, because it felt cheap to have the villain we had been watching for a whole movie not actually be the person we thought we were learning about. The whole Talia thing seemed to only be to surprise the audience, but makes less sense in-universe (what was the point of telling Gotham that the trigger was held by a citizen? That information doesn't seem like it would be important to them, it was only important if you happened to be a real person watching the movie)

>>77762137
Secret Six Bane was good

>>77762163
>In how many episodes was he even there? I remember one early on and I think one more after everyone got a redesign.

I remember Bruce Timm saying he didn't like Bane that much and thought he was a gimmick character. I remember that Bane intro episode having some beats from the comics (fucking up Killer Croc's shit to show he's even stronger, almost doing the back-breaker finisher), but I remember it being a mostly mediocre episode.

He was also in "Over the Edge," and that episode where Superman has to pretend to be Batman (gets tossed around by Superbat and is like, wow, how'd Batman get so strong).
>>
>>77762182

I think Dini was the one who wasn't a fan of him with Timm not particularly caring one way or another. Might be the other way around though.

>>77762193

Eh? Bane went out of his way to dick with Bruce in that episode by doing things like smashing up his car and made several comments about playing mind games with him.
>>
>>77761967
>Where this idea comes from and why is it so popular?

He wears a luchador mask and one of his most known traits is pumping drugs to get stronk.
>>
>>77762163
the only arkham in which he is well portrayed is in Origins.
>>
>>77762163
>In how many episodes was he even there?

Not many. I think only like 3 or 4.
>>
>>77762246
What does that have to do with the subject?

>>77762273
No. In his initial appearance, he had a much stronger accent, but it came down for later appearances.
>>
>>77762163
Arkham games tries to explain it away in origins by saying the Venom that Bane's been taking has the side effect of slowly killing his mind.
>>
So why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>77762337
His design just pisses me off. It detracts from the experience.
>>
File: cia the animated series.jpg (101 KB, 604x1280) Image search: [Google]
cia the animated series.jpg
101 KB, 604x1280
>>77761967

if Bane ever appears in a new cartoon, we need CIA too.
>>
>Bane was never good
The problem with Bane is that he's boring and writers would rather write the more colorful bat-rogues. If I want to write Batman facing a genius mastermind I would use riddler or if I want to have Batman face a great but evil ubermensch I would use Ras. Bane is superfluous.
>>
>>77762246
>Yo his design was awful on The Batman though.

I remember fans saying he looked like a tampon in that.

Now that I think about it, it's a little sad for grown men to hate on a kids' cartoon because they think a character doesn't look realistic enough and looks too much like a feminine hygiene product, but whatevs, I complain about cartoons, too.
>>
>>77762367
NO ONE CARED WHO HE WAS UNTIL HE PUT ON THE MASK
>>
>>77762367
Memes aside: because in Mexican popculture lucha movies are pretty much equivalent of capeshit and luchadores, especially El Santo, were for a long time some sort of hope and justice symbol. Bane wears the mask because he's from a fictional latino country and believes he's in the right and brings justice for himself; simultaneously it serves as a way to tell the world he's a good fighter. That's how it seems to me at least.

Alternatively: it was the easiest gimmick for a hispanic bad guy to come up with.
>>
Writers don't use Bane because Bane is a loser. Can't be the man who broke the Bat when the Bat just got right back up and broke you better.
>>
>>77762371
I wanna show about this guy.
>>
He was pretty based in JL Doom and Arkham Origins
Even in TDKR he was pretty cool with his sean connery voice

The only things that have been truly terrible are the cartoon adaptations and the arkham asylum and arkham city stuff
>>
>>77762384
He looked like a discount cyberpunk Hellboy there more than a luchador
>>
>>77761967
you know what? i'm just going to say it because

he's a big guy

if you took that mask off, it would be very painful, for you
>>
>>77762431
>>77762431
What would happen if you took it off?
>>
>>77762479
If you get the quote wrong, will you die?
>>
>>77762497
It would hurt a lot.
>>
>>77762431
That's not true at all. Talia cared who he was and she even cared so much that she went back and rescued him from a life of assrapings from the other prisoners who were upset that he'd let the only female they'd seen in decades get away. Then she went and made him central to her plans to fulfil her father's work, even when s/he was thrown out of the League of Shadows for being fucking insane.

She absolutely cared who he was before he put on the mask. The fact he has to wear it is a constant reminder to her of the kindness he did her.

What a dumbass Bane was not to have realised that.
>>
>>77762497
No. Not really.
>>
>>77762479
I'd live.

For the first time in my life, I would finally live.
>>
>>77762552
Do you bleed on a farm?
>>
>>77762367
>>77762371
>>77762431
>>77762459
>>77762477
>>77762479
I really sincerely hope you get cancer.
>>
File: bane.jpg (35 KB, 224x260) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
35 KB, 224x260
Arkham War was hardly a masterpiece but I liked him there. Wish they brought back more of the 2000s stuff into it, like Bane being strictly againist putting children in harm's way.
>>
>>77762497
I think I have a big man
>>
>>77762524
Yeah well that movie was just pretty fucking dumb in general really.

So it's no surprise that Bane was dumb also.
>>
>>77762588
Someone get this hothead outta here
>>
File: 4u Magazine cover.jpg (199 KB, 900x1275) Image search: [Google]
4u Magazine cover.jpg
199 KB, 900x1275
>>77762552
I think it would be extremely painful.
>>
>>77762588
And I hope you get anally raped by big fucking men in luchadore masks, faggot.
>>
>>77762589
>like Bane being strictly againist putting children in harm's way.
This is such a rote and cliche character trait that I'm not surprised you are such a big fan of it.
>>
Typical /co/ trying so desperately to impress big brother /tv/.
>>
>>77762582
No, but I was raised on a farm.
>>
>>77762588
I hope Bane gets cancer. Colon cancer. It would be a strong and poignant story that shows that deep down, despite how monstrous they may seem, Batman's villains are still people just like you and me, and they too can get cancer.
>>
>>77762616
For who?
>>
>>77762631
>adding letters to words that have been spelled right

I never stop wondering what kind of brain damage people have to have in order for them to do that.
>>
>>77762641
To be fair it's not very common among Batman's villains, and as cliche as it is, I can let it slide considering Bane is a villain mostly because his own childhood was beyond shitty.
>>
>>77762588
Statistically speaking, over their lifetimes 3 of the 6 people you responded to will be diagnosed with some form of cancer.

If you wanted to hate them you should hope they get AIDS or HIV or a whole alphabet of hepatites or gonorrhea and syphillis right about the point antibiotics stop working because people kept demanding them for their colds and farmers kept using them in livestock as a prevention because that's what market-based supply-side economic theory said they should do rather than risk having to claim their insurance for a whole herd of living but unsaleable meat or dairy or eggs.

Wishing people would get cancer is just dumb. It's like flipping a coin with them and hoping it comes down for you.
>>
>>77762681
>Batman at Bane's hospital bed
>"We may not have seen eye to eye, Bane. But I want you to know that I'm pulling for you. I will use all the resources at my disposal to help you fight through this. I know you can do this. You're a [cracks up] you're a big guy."
>"Fuck you Batman."
>"How do YOU like being bed-ridden? Haha, suck it, Bane."
>>
>>77762800
Good. I hope its slow.
>>
>>77762724
>because his own childhood was beyond shitty.

Is this guy just completely fabricated out of unimaginative tropes?
>>
>>77762829
It seems you already made up your mind, so sure.
>>
>>77762724
>To be fair it's not very common among Batman's villains
Name 3 Batman villains who would and have intentionally hurt children. I'll spot you the edgy Joker for free.
>>
>>77762800
Do half of people really get cancer? I've heard stats like "1 in 4 people will be affected by cancer," but that probably includes knowing someone who gets it, which would seem like a misleading way to use stats.

If half of people get it, what's the average age of onset? Like, IDGAF if I get mild cancer when I'm already 72 or some shit. I don't wanna have cancer legitimately fuck with my life, though.
>>
>>77762873
The riddler but only of he's possessed by a demon.
Two-face but only if the coin landed on the bad head.
Mad hatter for pedophilia
>>
>>77762824
You're edgy! Just like Bane.
>>
>>77762873
>Would and have

That kind of puts a lot of onus on the person to think of specific examples.

I mean, a guy like Ra's probably doesn't give a shit about killing kids. But can I think of any comics where he does it?
>>
>>77762873
Harley Quinn blinded a girl and killed a bunch of children with PSP bombs
>>
>>77762932
The psp bombs was a dream.
>>
>>77762873
Zszasz
Mad Hatter
Calendar Man
Scarecrow
>>
>>77762932
No she didn't. It's totally not canon! No matter what you say.
>>
>>77762932
Nintendo DS bombs anon.
>>
>>77762915
Demonic-possessed Alfred would hurt children, doesn't count
Dressing up children as characters from a story and acting creepy around them doesn't genuinely count as hurting them.
>>
File: diddler bueno.jpg (237 KB, 600x817) Image search: [Google]
diddler bueno.jpg
237 KB, 600x817
>>77762932
but anon
>>
File: file.jpg (2 MB, 1834x1374) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
2 MB, 1834x1374
>>77762932
She hit Billy with a hammer
>>
>>77763014
Billy is a fucking teenage superhero.
>>
>>77762687
You look like you can handle it. You're a Big guy.
>>
>>77763032
He's a kid who turns into an adult superhero.

Still counts
>>
>>77762878
Including all forms (including benign tumors), yeah, it's somewhere between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3, but that's over everybody's lifetimes.

There's no "average" age of onset because it's inclusive of all forms; the amount that it fucks with your life is dependent on the form. Some things are more survivable than others, so, for example, even though we haven't come up with 100% effective treatments for eg breast cancer, it's better now than it was even 10 years ago, and even though survival rates don't look like they've gone up a lot in that period in fact that's hundreds of thousands of extra survivors. It's also worth recognising that a lot of diagnoses are post-mortem - many of them people who didn't let it fuck with them because they didn't know they had it.

The best thing you can do if you're worried about cancer is pay attention to your body, because you're going to be the one who notices your health drop away first. At that point, you should go see your doctor - it's not 100% going to get you cured if you get treatment earlier, but your chances are significantly improved, and your quality of life afterwards will be much higher. The second best thing you can do is not worry about cancer - because chances are even if you get it, it's going to be something external and obvious like skin lesions that can be caught and treated before it spreads and becomes a serious problem, and for the really vicious stuff you usually don't live a long time. Also, morphine is pretty great when you're in genuine pain, so don't abuse it recreationally.

If you have time, there's a pretty solid book by the title "The Emperor of All Maladies" that came out a few years back, which is by a leading expert on cancer, very well researched and very good at explaining what cancer is, why there's no cure after all this research, who it affects and so on. And yes, you could still die of it, but you could get hit by a car tomorrow too.
>>
>>77762932
>Bane is more of a hero than Harley ever was
>Bane saved Batman's life twice
>Bane realized drugs destroyed his life and aided Hourman in a few anti-drug operations
>Bane is genuinely scared of punishment for his crimes and tries to make up for it for ages
>in New 52 Bane hates the Joker and most other Arkhamites due to their aimlss cruelty

Where's this guy's ongoing, you could make a terajerker out of it easily

Also, Bane/Captain Cold team-up could be fun
>>
>>77763014
>encounters a dangerous supervillain
>doesn't turn into Shazam
Billy you fucking idiot.
>>
>>77762137
>>77762299
So it's really just terrible booking.
>>
>>77763090
It's even worse; a Joker henchman who KNOWS that he's Shazam to begin with.
>>
>>77763132
Injustice Billy deserved to die.
>>
>>77763182
No Billy deserves to die
>>
>>77762824
It would be extremely painful.
>>
>>77763087
I know Bane was almost Ras's replacement, but didn't he team up with Bats when Batman was divvying up the world or something?

I know a reformed Harvey became Batman's Gotham representative before Bats got suspicious of him, betrayed him, and drive Harv to peel his face with a razor.
>>
>>77763063
Very informative post. Interesting info.

Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>77762817
underrated post
>>
>>77763090
But she loves him
>>
>>77763051
Get this hothead away from here.
>>
>>77763182
superman pls go
>>
>>77762591
Was finding a big man part of your plan?
>>
File: that aint gum yall.png (1 MB, 1632x1519) Image search: [Google]
that aint gum yall.png
1 MB, 1632x1519
>>77763090
He had other things on his mind.
>>
File: 1409189969648.png (59 KB, 1114x587) Image search: [Google]
1409189969648.png
59 KB, 1114x587
>>77762371
Can't wait until the baby version.
>>
Bane may be a terrible character but at least he will live on as a entertaining meme.
>>
>>77762383
Bane is Batman's shadow, much like Eobard Thawne (literally Reverse Flash) for Barry Allen, Zod for Superman (evil Kryptonian), Red Skull for MCU Captain America (super soldier serum subject), and Sinestro (best Lantern, but corrupt) for Hal Jordan. A character who would essentially be the hero if not for a morality shift. No one else in Batman's rogue gallery is at the top of their game both physically and mentally like Bruce is, and Batman's rogue gallery is saturated with weaker people, like Joker, Riddler, and Penguin, who he could beat up and steal their lunch money from, as is. Bane adds some actual balance, and should be as formidable to Batman as the previously mentioned rogues are to their own heroes.
>>
>>77763516

Ah yes.

CIBabes!
>>
>>77763529
Baneposting turns 4(YOU) on December 12th. I hope Hiroshima Nagasaki puts bane masks on all posts much like the birthday hats for anniversaries.
>>
>>77763512
>not turning into Shazam to fuck hot supervillain bitches
Billy is still a idiot for not /SS/hazaming.
>>
>>77763582
Now that would be fucking great. Make it so.
>>
>>77762338
Which is true for the comics as well. It's why he dumps the Venom early on.
>>
A couple of reasons:

1. Bane was written as a villain stu. He broke Batman, which no one not even Joker could do.

2. His most famous story has him break Batman's back and only defeated by a barely sane programmed assassin Bruce was trying to deprogram. Which is a huge deal breaker given how it would upset the applecart for any cartoon in terms of setting up.

3. Going back to 1., there are a lot of folks, a LOT of folks, who resent Bane's villain stu status. These are Joker-fags and other Batman rogue fanboys who can't tolerate Bane being so damn good at being bad. So he gets demoted to dumb muscle, so he doesn't upstage Joker and company.
>>
>>77762946
The dream shit was a retcon in one of Harley's comics, when they realized they fucked up.

(Fun fact, the writers of the Batman books, during Villains Month, EXPLICITLY were told by the Batbook editors to write their villains utterly unsympathetic and doing horrificly evil things. The only one who was told that he was exempt from said editorial mandate, was the guy who wrote the Killer Croc origin, and that was mainly because the Batman editorial people just wanted to fuck over the writer of Batwoman, who was refusing to do crossovers with the main Batbooks and was punished by way of being denied the right to do the Killer Croc origin story he planned, which would have been a major part of his Batwoman storyline.)
>>
>>77763678
twitter bomb Joot because I doubt he can read english e-mails, much less english memery.
>>
>>77764005
What's his Twitter?
>>
File: pavelMC.jpg (61 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
pavelMC.jpg
61 KB, 320x240
>>77764081
https://youtu.be/VRCM0jWEQjQ?t=142
>>
>>77762285

TDKR works as long as you allow yourself to be carried by the hype and accept everything the film hands to you in real time. The moment you question any of it the whole thing falls apart pretty fast. I still enjoyed it. Still enjoy it on rewatches, but yeah, it just doesn't live up to TDK. Things like the gory discretion shots; they worked pretty damn well when it was just the Joker killing people one-on-one after ultra-tense build-up scenes, but a revolutionary utterly sequestering a major metropolitan city and letting it descend in to absolute anarchy just doesn't work when you can't really show people actually dying in the streets or living in squalor as conditions continue to deteriorate over a 6 MONTH SPAN or whatever absurd amount of time was actually supposed to have transpired.
>>
>>77764525
Also the buried police charging a mob when they had guns while the mob of people did not was fucking stupid.
>>
>>77762137
Secret Six.
>>
File: 1447644989030.jpg (216 KB, 736x819) Image search: [Google]
1447644989030.jpg
216 KB, 736x819
>>77762588
>wishing cancer because of a meme
Karma is a bitch, hothead
>>
>>77762824
HOTHEAD
>>
>>77762285
>>77762289

From what I remember hearing at the time they felt Bane was just a gimmick character and that he was so new he really didn't have much to him.

He had only been around for about a year at the time. Post-Knightfall he's better fit as more of an anti-hero. I loved his interactions with Alfred in Eternal, and I know people liked him in Secret Six but I haven't read that.

Also cartoons don't want to have him break the bat though and they sure has hell don't want to give Jean Paul Valley attention. Even TDKR didn't want to give him any screen time. Or Shiva... I'm more bummed about Shiva though.
>>
>>77766689
>Or Shiva... I'm more bummed about Shiva though.

Shiva was in Beware the Batman and Arkham Origins though.
>>
File: Bane.jpg (81 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
Bane.jpg
81 KB, 500x707
>>77761967
It's because really, Bane's really hard to use effectively as an opponent for Batman.

Writers will hone in on the mask and accent, or the venom, but that's all just fluff really. Like Green Lantern's ring or Spider-man's web shooters. What's really at the core of Bane's character, what really makes him interesting, what his real gimmick is, is being better than Batman.

He's smarter, stronger, faster, better trained, more disciplined, and more ruthless. Bane's an interesting villain because, in a world where Batgod is the status quo, with invincible plot armor, Bane's the guy who can out batgod Batman, and who can penetrate that plot armor.

If you take that away, if Batman outsmarts him or betters him somehow, Bane stops being interesting. He needs to be better than Batman to be an interesting villain.

But so really, there's not much you can do with that. There's really only one story you can tell with that, and Knightfall already told that story. Bane fights Batman, Batman loses. Sure you can do different, interesting things with where it goes from there, honestly Knightfall really goes downhill after Bane breaks the bat, but you can't just have Bane routinely show up and break Batman's spine.

Really, unless you're very specifically doing a Knightfall-esque story, Bane just shouldn't be used. He's best used extremely sparingly, and as a really really serious threat.

That's not saying Bane can't be used at all, just not as an antagonist. Outside of Knightfall, Bane's always been at his best when he's either the protagonist or just a neutral party, a sort of force of nature, rogue agent. I'd still love to read a Bane ongoing where he wanders the earth, looking for purpose after having grown tired of fighting Batman.
>>
>>77762873
It's not a matter of going out of their way to hurt children, it's a matter of not giving a fuck about children.

In which case, Riddler would be more than fine with putting children through lethal riddles, albeit, maybe kiddie-level ones (what he feels to be kiddie-level).

Two-face would murder children if the coin said so without hesitation.

I'm positive Croc's fine with using kids in criminal operation. Same for Penguin.
>>
>>77768353
I disagree, in my opinion you have a very limited and surface level idea of what Bane is in his origin story, nevermind what other writers brought to him and what he could be. Bane doesn't HAVE to be stronger, he just has to respect and seek strength above anything else, he's a product of the dog eat dog world he was raised and the strength of his will that set him free from it, he fought Batman to establish himself as a dominating force, he extended the prison mentality to the whole world, losing clean to Batman was humiliating, but more than resenting Batman, Bane resents his lack of strength and now seeks other means of self improvement, it's his love of strength that keeps him from attacking innocents and acting like a cliche villain, it's what makes him respect the heroes he's beat and the ones he has his sight on, it's what made him kick off Venom...
>>
I think the best outside-of-comics depiction i've seen of him is his Arkham Origins appearence. Ignoring the stupid shit to make sure he becomes a big dumb brute to maintain continuity.
>>
>>77768395
Croc's characterization is wildly inconsistent, but yeah, most of the standard mob bosses like Penguin, let alone Great White Shark or Black Mask definitely do count.
>>
While its the only one I've ever read focusing on Bane, I likes Forever Evil: Arkham War. It was pretty entertaining, though Bat-Bane could've lasted longer
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.