[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone want to have a Women In Animation discussion? Women
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: WIA.jpg (45 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
WIA.jpg
45 KB, 600x395
Does anyone want to have a Women In Animation discussion? Women artists, girl protagonists in shows/movies, any interesting things people have heard at WIA panels, etc. I feel like with Lauren Faust being let go, it might be a good time.
>>
File: 1309887908438.jpg (66 KB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
1309887908438.jpg
66 KB, 500x454
Do you honestly think this is the best place for this kind of discussion?
>>
>>77753525
It can be. Honestly, I'd rather have a mixed bag of responses ranging between serious, "don't know what they're talking about", and trolls rather than asking on Tumblr which is an echochamber of "Go girl" and asking on Reddit where no one would reply.
>>
Well, SU is doing well, which is encouraging.

I can't really think of anything else to discuss. What exactly did you want to talk about, OP?
>>
File: 1408110417429.jpg (105 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
1408110417429.jpg
105 KB, 580x435
>>77753483
This >>77753525. Are you fucking stupid or something?

>>77753553
>Tumblr which is an echochamber of "Go girl"
As opposed to 4chan, which is the polar opposite, an echochamber of "BAAAW GIRLS ARE THE DEVIL"? Yeah, you ARE stupid. Get out.
>>
>>77753635
Artists who have been in the industry for awhile like Brenda Chapman and Lauren Faust say how hard it is for them to be in the field, but I haven't heard the same notes from younger artists, so I don't know if they're only spoiled from their past experiences or if it's still pretty difficult for women to pitch shows with a mostly girl cast without getting feedback how they're not interested in those types of shows.

Rebecca Sugar getting a show got a lot of positive feedback for CN. Even just from a PR standpoint, it would seem smart to scout for more talented women artists and hear pitches from them, but they haven't done so yet. Unless the rumors that Bee and Puppycat got picked up for a full series are true.
>>
>>77753553
You will not receive a mixed bag. This place is a den of trolls and shitposters who cry TUMBLR SJW at the faintest hint of a woman. This is even more of an echo chamber than tumblr or reddit.
>>
>>77753857
>>77753701
>So far this thread is mostly just bitching about /pol/
Ironic isn't it?
>>
>>77753483

I'd want to, but you're not giving us anything to work with. You'd be better off bringing up specific events or individuals, or approaching this topic from a historical perspective. Maybe you are a woman and currently winding your way through an animation career, and can share some insights.

But don't try to start a topic with women as some amorphous, singular entity or broad questions which would only invite a clusterfuck of the latest online outrages and pat-self-on-back patronizing.
>>
>>77753899
Fine then. I'll fucking prove to you that 4chan can't talk about women without going full neckbeard.

>>77753900
Specific topic?

I really enjoyed the Nu52 Amethyst series. Has Christy Marx done anything since then? She seems to be a solid writer.
>>
>>77753853

Half of the pilots in the newest amazon season were by women. I think that, if nothing else, there's more women trying now.
>>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IplSYj1Gfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20ogFZKtO_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YQt1WUycsw
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with hating women.
>>
>>77754134
Digression, what is the budget like for an Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix animated series? The average cartoon on TV is like, 300k - 500k. I can't possibly imagine Hulu shelling out that type of cash per episode for an animated show. I assume Bojack is animated so poorly because of budget problems moreso than stylistic choice. Are these platforms actually viable options for artists, or are they going to make them animate their shows like it was done by a team of Newgrounds artists?

I REALLY want to believe in sites like Netflix being the next big place to take your cartoon ideas because internet is obviously phasing out a lot of kids networks and hurting their ratings a ton, but I can't imagine it actually being profitable for them.
>>
>>77754134
How do you see those? Do you need Amazon Prime?
>>
>>77754215
When are CN and Disney going to start making Web exclusive shows?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
>>77754286
CN tried. I don't think it's doing well. It's not very good and runs on a budget of like, $5 so what is to be expected. Carrozza's style of drawing and writing feels severely outdated, like he should've gotten picked up 20 years ago instead of now.

Nick has those 3-minute shorts they post periodically on the website. They get topics now and then on /co/ with Magic Children being the most popular.

Twelve Forever is also still in production, and I'm pretty sure that got picked up because it got a lot of online praise. In fact, most of the CN shows we have now got picked up because of the Cartoonstitute shorts that got put online and they just picked the ones that had the most views. With the exception being Uncle Grandpa, I have no idea how the fuck that managed to beat 3 Dog Band.

What's the downside to having a web exclusive show? More people have the internet than they do cable. Is it lack of ad revenue, difficulties with overseas sharing? A lot of shows thrive on merch, right? So as long as merch does well, doesn't it not matter where the product is seen, as long as people buy buy buy?
>>
>>77754215

Amazon definitely splurged on the latest round of pilots, and it shows, most notably in Eddie. That kind of real, hand drawn animation is something we haven't seen on TV outside of holiday specials.

Whether they would continue to fund shows at the same level after they've been picked up is a big question, but Amazon is literally super villain levels of rich. They just launched and returned a space rocket a few days ago, something Elon Musk hasn't achieved yet.

Amazon doesn't need the level of viewers TV shows need. They need audiences who are willing to pay a premium directly. They don't have to beat Apple, they'll be satisfied with being the next HBO.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.