[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Raava the midichlorians of this series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15
File: images (6).jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
22 KB, 250x250
Was Raava the midichlorians of this series?
>>
>>77728888
Nice Quads, but no.
>>
>>77728902
Thanks, but how so?
>>
>>77728888
No, Dragon Turtles were
>>
>>77728905
Because he said so.
>>
>>77728933
Lion Turtles*
>>
>>77728888
An unnecessary explanation for something mystical that doesn't actually do anything beyond give an idea of inherent potential before training that people overblow into some monstrous thing that ruined said mystical thing forever?
No. Raava is not that.
>>
>>77728963
I'd wager that it is, because the avatar was implied to be a mystical being sent by the spirits who had literal past lives. Now, the avatar is just a person who happens to share to share a sentient spirit, this diminishing both the mystery and connection of the avatar.
>>
>>77729038
The difference is, Raava actually changes something major about the Avatar. Midichlorians don't change anything about the Force.
So it's not the same thing.
>>
>>77729055
Lucas' idea in the OT was that anyone could use the force if they trained, now you just pop in some scanner and find out they're a level 6 Jedi or whatever
>>
>>77729091
Like I said, all it does is given an idea at inherent potential before training. They're in everyone, and it doesn't change anything about how anyone could use the Force if trained.
>>
>>77729091

>level 6 Jedi

If you become a Level 7 you get to meet Tom Cruise!
>>
>>77729121
It takes strength in the force and simply makes it a genetic quirk. There's no room for willpower or training, if you've got a high Midichlorian count then you're powerful and if you don't then you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>77729173
It was always a genetic quirk. The entire original trilogy is a family soap opera you nut.
>>
No, I don't think so.

Midichlorians = It's not magic, it's science

Raava = Yupp, it's magic. Spirit Magic!
>>
>>77729205
>Midichlorians = It's not magic, it's science

That's not true in the slightest, though. Stop getting your information from Plinkett videos and actually pay attention when you watch movies.
>>
File: 1266633361063.jpg (40 KB, 263x276) Image search: [Google]
1266633361063.jpg
40 KB, 263x276
>>77729159
>>
>>77729245
I don't think Plinkett ever said it was science
Should never have watched beyond the Phantom Menace review: Mike's a pretentious douche.
Funny, though.
>>
>>77729173
Except that's wrong. Getting strong in the Force would increase your count since they're attracted to it. It's literally nothing but inherent potential. A starting powerlevel if you will.
>>
Lion Turtles were way worse for the avatar world than anything else. It's literally Midochlorians except a long time ago.

In ATLA, it was assumed that anyone could learn how to bend as long as they learned from animals like the Badger Mole or Dragon like Toph did. But then the Wan story came out and it's now "only the people who descended from the people the Lion Turtles touched can bend"
>>
File: 1445358858912.png (377 KB, 615x800) Image search: [Google]
1445358858912.png
377 KB, 615x800
The Raava episodes in and of themselves were okay, but in the context of the entire series, they basically ruin a lot.
>Yeah, you're no mythical, ancient being given a new shape upon death. You're just some dingus that won the genetic lottery and gets some niffty powers because a godlike tapeworm is renting some space inside your ass.

I try to blend that shit out as best as I can
>>
>>77729374
The duck did you come up with this your mind
>>
>>77729374
>In ATLA, it was assumed that anyone could learn how to bend as long as they learned from animals like the Badger Mole or Dragon like Toph did.

Which is good as a folklore origin, but falls apart since the moon is one of the original benders. Literally anybody could become a waterbender by looking up at night.
>>
As far as mythos lore goes, it was consistent with the series, but they never should have made it so literal/definitive. That ruins all the fun of mythology.
>>
>>77729492
Nope
>>
You could have choses a dozen of other Korra failings to shitpost about, but you picked Raava which was an improvement if anything, and "ruined" nothing
>>
>>77729571
How was it an improvement? If anything it explained things that didn't need an explanation and instead watered down the mythology of the Avatar.
>>
File: Unalaq_becomes_the_Dark_Avatar.png (121 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
Unalaq_becomes_the_Dark_Avatar.png
121 KB, 444x250
Raava and Vaatu weren't bad in and of themselves, but Raava was relevant for season 2, forgotten, and never mentioned again.

Vaatu was also just a complete rage monster and nothing about his existence suggested balance.

THE DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK AVATAAAAAAAAAAAAR is also the cringiest thing on the planet
>>
>>77730281
> explained things that didn't need an explanation
Also known as expanding mythology.

You didn't NEED to know that Zuko was Roku descendant, but it was explained.

It was not needed, but it was not harmful and in some ways -- was good for character.

Introduction of Raava?

Is it insulting? To whom?

Does diminish anything? What exactly?

You could have chosen much easier point to show how Korra is a lesser show, but you chose one where you have no ground
>>
>>77730369
It reduced the Avatar to Raava a biased spirit. The Avatar used to the the incarnation of the world sent to bring balance for it. With Raava the Avatar is a random person who exists to maintain Raavas vision of a good world.
It adds nothing to any character that is a positive.
I wouldn't say it's insulting, but it is stupid.
It diminishes the Avatars role in the world.

And you're right Raava is just one bad thing among many in LoK.
>>
>>77728963
hmm no Raava sounds exactly that
>>
File: kotori.jpg (177 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
kotori.jpg
177 KB, 1440x810
Why was Korra so fucking bad, bros?
>>
You took one of the best elements of the avatar story and raped it with the worst part of the STAR WARS story.
Your parents must be proud of your autism.
>>
>>77728888
You took one of the most interesting elements of the Avatar story and raped it with the worst element of the STAR WARS story. Your parents must be proud of your autism
>>
>>77731894
Because she allowed all other past avatars to be killed. Also it took her fucking ages to learn airbending, Aang learned his 3 non-native bending arts in one year.
>>
>>77731922
>Caleed the balance between worlds
LEL NO
>RAAVA IS GOOD INCARNATE AND IS THE ONLY ONE AND DEFEATED THE DARK SPIRIT
BALANCE?
WUTS THAT?
>>
Yes kind of.
TLOK fucked up the eastern concept of balance in the same way Star Wars did by turning it into a bullshit good-evil dichotomy. Raava is a huge part of that. How is it balance if you portray the world as being better off if one of the sides of the scales doesn't exist?
Making Vaatu out to be not so bad would be an uphill battle, I guess, but why not make Raava come off as a knight templar extremist? That way you preserve the idea that the middle road is the ideal because neither side is inherently "Oh I'm the good guy"
>>
>>77729448
Yeah, whats wrong with that?
>>
There's literally nothing wrong with midichlorians.
>>
>>77731999
>>77731995
the thing being that Raava/Vaatu were just bad in and of themselves. The concept of balance in ATLA was hardly something that mattered in terms of light vs dark or whatever.

Them existing doesn't ruin or change anything about ATLA like Midichlorians do for the Star Wars series
>>
>>77732065
The avatar can't be balanced if they're good incarnate and even if raava/vaatu had major consequences on that world
>>
>>77732093
and how does that matter in terms of the ATLA story?
>>
>>77732065
>the thing being that Raava/Vaatu were just bad in and of themselves. The concept of balance in ATLA was hardly something that mattered in terms of light vs dark or whatever.
I disagree. The vast majority of Zuko's character arc was framed in that kind of way. Firebending in general was as well; it was framed as evil, and then they go "No, that's because its imbalanced. When balanced it can be just as positive as negative".
Similarly the spirits were an alien thing above morality in ATLA. The closest western analogue would be the fair folk. Then Korra comes along and tries to pigenhole them into that same good/evil dichotomy thing.

And all throughout that time when "The spirits are really good they just respond to your negative vibes" justification they tried and failed to sell, all I could think was "Where the hell is Koh?"

Compared to that midichloorians isn't much worse.
>>
File: Beginnings2_zps19b26daa.jpg (76 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
Beginnings2_zps19b26daa.jpg
76 KB, 700x393
>>77731995
The whole balance thing would have made way more sense if both Raava and Vaatu were merged with the Avatar.
>>
File: 1443384440282.jpg (55 KB, 538x529) Image search: [Google]
1443384440282.jpg
55 KB, 538x529
>>77731894
Because it wasn't. Objectively, it was only mediocre at worst.

HOW-FUCKING-EVER, the promise it had was incredibly large, and it plainly fell far short of it.. Korra S1E1 laid so much hype, had so much raw promise, to see how far it fell as the series went on was totally unbearable. It's only natural that our vision of how Korra actually was is clouded; it is impossible not to see what could have been.
>>
>>77728963
>unnecessary explanation for something mystical
>give an idea of inherent potential before training
> that people overblow
It fits all of those, even your last snide bitchy one

Not only that it fails completely to understand Yin and Yang just making it the good side and bad side. Also swaps the genders given
>>
>>77729055
>Raava actually changes something
no it doesn't.
We get 2 episodes where it is a mild retcon stuff and explains the first avatar

Then one guy gets power from it. Then they are sucked into korra

After season 2 it never comes up again in anyway important.
>>
>>77732397
Raava is an excuse to remove the Avatar spirits from Korra's head without taking away her panic button.
>>
>>77732368
Yeah I thought darkness was a female attribute in Yin/Yang?
>>
I like midichlorians. I want fantasyfags to go.

ScienceFiction4Life
>>
>>77732921
That's right. Yin (dark) is also passive while Yang (light) is active which could have made for a really interesting dynamic between the sides
>>
>>77732039
the fact that this is not how it worked inside the series. They actually stated that Sokka can't learn waterbending since he is a nonbender. Katara was able to bend even when she was very little, meaning she didn't have to 'learn it', she was 'born with it'. I think the problem is how you are mixing things; they could be simply saying people 'learned' in the sense that they learned how to wave their arms, not that they actually got the power from badgermoles or whatever.
>>
>>77732984
No I think he is saying it is okay for the tale to be wrong. People not understanding the world but having a tale can be a lot more interesting than an idea that badly tries to link everything or in Raava's case fits in badly but is pushed for a story purpose
>>
>>77733024
> People not understanding the world but having a tale can be a lot more interesting than an idea that badly tries to link everything or in Raava's case fits in badly but is pushed for a story purpose
^This
>>
>>77733024
Perhaps, but one thing does not conflicts with the other. What i mean is, they didn't really believe they 'got their powers' from badgermoles. They just believe that's how they learned to wave their arms. There is still a 'hole' to be filled, of 'how they got their powers'.
>>
>>77731995
balance maked sense in ATLA, in Korra they mess everything up with, in one hand the whole world of spirits/material world balance, and the Rava/vatuu (was unnecessary)
>>
File: 1447999568312.gif (3 MB, 412x395) Image search: [Google]
1447999568312.gif
3 MB, 412x395
The episode with Wun and Raava's backstory was actually probably the best episode of that season for me. I wasn't super keen on the concept of Raava, it felt like a let down for the origin of the Avatar, but that episode on its own worked really well.

>>77729435
Also more Kya. I need it
>>
File: 1443237596420.png (2 MB, 956x1375) Image search: [Google]
1443237596420.png
2 MB, 956x1375
>>
>>77733832
I don't see how Jedi kindergarten is bad in the first place, let alone anywhere near as bad as menial lightning bending for minimum wage.
>>
>>77733320
>Perhaps, but one thing does not conflicts with the other.
But it does sit awkwardly especially thematically

>. There is still a 'hole' to be filled
It doesn't need filling
>>
>>77733867
I'm just gonna repeat the plinkett review cause it is very accurate here

It cheapens being trained by Yoda and it is just an excuse to have lightsabers on screen. Lightsabers were cool cause they were rare, when something no longer is rare it becomes less unique and interesting. Same with Yoda, it wasn't special training he was just watching the fuckers and dealing with them peeing their pants
>>
File: nc5ylsEjzt1r84oaio4_r3_1280.png (215 KB, 312x460) Image search: [Google]
nc5ylsEjzt1r84oaio4_r3_1280.png
215 KB, 312x460
>>77733447
All I got is young Kya
>>
>>77734107
>Kya
Why do you exist?
>>
>>77729091
Not so. Only those who were gifted by the Force could learn to use it. The problem with midichlorians is that it demystified it. The Force was something that we were led to believe must be felt or experienced. Now, as you said, you take a blood sample on your fancy toaster.
>>
>>77728946
ding ding ding ding!!!
>>
>>77734107
>>77734131
>>77733447
Anyone have that art of Kya wearing sunglasses and being a total GILF?
>>
File: tumblr_m6e5q6E1li1qix4gco2_400.jpg (98 KB, 400x479) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6e5q6E1li1qix4gco2_400.jpg
98 KB, 400x479
>>77734131
More Cougar wank material obviously.

I would have preferred they ditched Bumi, the unfunny cunt, and given us more of this Dr. Cuddy voiced semen demon.
>>
File: Kya (Hatebitx) 01.jpg (605 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kya (Hatebitx) 01.jpg
605 KB, 800x1200
>>77734191
>>
>>77736138
btw Bryke says she's bi or gay too.
>>
>>77738430

Kya/Lin anyone?
>>
File: 1423149057046.jpg (55 KB, 500x707) Image search: [Google]
1423149057046.jpg
55 KB, 500x707
>>77739037
You're right, Lin is such a sadsack.
She needs somebody.
>>
>>77729091
No it wasn't.
>>77729038
> because the avatar was implied to be a mystical being sent by the spirits who had literal past lives.
When was that ever implied? The origin of the Avatar was always a mystery.
>>
>>77732397
>retcon
What retcons?
>>
>>77740648
Benders no longer learnt bending from certain animals/moon but were given the powers and then practices using them with the animals/moon

And before you try to argue that isn't a change getting powers from interaction with animals and getting them from the turtles is different
>>
>>77733832
none of these particularly fit, and fartkid was endearing rather than just annoying
>>
>>77738430
>btw Bryke says she's bi or gay too.

Sauce?
>>
>>77728888
definitely, it gave the zen like, unimaginably complex source from which all living life-forms are an extension of and made it into the special snowflake good vs evil cliche in which the main goodie and the main baddie get super sentai powers to deux ex machina solve all the problems in the universe in a super saiyan fight. Imho power fantasy which reduces a story's expansive world building and mythos into a power level circlejerk
PS Raava was a huge bitch and so were the spirits, source of all good my ass
>>
>>77743533
>unimaginably complex
it's called being 9 years old when watching the it for the first time

just like SW
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.