[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it say about the current state of the comics industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: Thor-Girl.jpg (42 KB, 850x560) Image search: [Google]
Thor-Girl.jpg
42 KB, 850x560
What does it say about the current state of the comics industry when the only way creators can make fans give a shit about female and minority characters is by cannibalizing already-popular white male characters?
>>
It doesn't say anything at all.
> I like Thor
> I like sexy badass women
Good chance I'd like Whor.
>>
>>77715697
What does it say about 4chan that this kind of naked shitposting about MUH TUMBLR/SJWs is the only real form of conversation that ever happens anymore?

Go actually start reading comics, you filthy casual, and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>77715752
sasuga tumblrina
>>
>>77715697
When you put it that way it makes it sound like the issue is comic readers are misogynistic. I doubt that was your intention.
>>
>>77715865
Actually I meant to imply that the writers are so creatively bankrupt that they need to rely on the coattails of character concepts from the 50's in order to generate interest in female and minority characters rather than actually creating something NEW....
>>
>>77715807
Lol this. Only SJWs read comics.
>>
>>77715752
The post isn't even about you and you're still offended. Fuck off, tumblr.
>>
>>77716159
But they do create new things and they sell like garbage. Meanwhile the things that appropriate pre-existing franchises sell like gangbusters.

Quality rarely means sales. They could create the single most unique and best written female or minority character of all time, but it'll still get outsold by the A-listers because your average comic buyer cares more about the franchises they grew up with than the quality of storytelling.

What you're blaming on creative bankruptcy is actually the fault of Big 2 consumers being the worst kinds of nostalgiafags and shit taste casuals.
>>
As Alan Rickman says in Dogma "It doesn't matter until it's in a movie"

People only notice the characters from the films, thus changing them makes them acknowledge the diversity
>>
>>77715697
>>>/pol/
>>
>>77716251

>But they do create new things and they sell like garbage.

Bullshit. It all has to do with marketing. Look how huge the Jessica Jones show is, a previously basically unknown hero is super popular now because they actually decided to put some fucking money into promoting her.
>>
The entire movement is about taking over what's already been established, not about building something on their own.
>>
>>77716438
We're talking about comics books, anon. I know you neo-/co/ users hate them and only care about whatever /tv/ shit these people are peddling out.
>>
>>77716438
She's also a shit character that exists to actively mock superheroes
>>
remember when /co/ said this was going to fail so hard and it ended up outselling God of Thunder on every issue?

remember when /co/ said it was only going to last for one series and Whor is now on the main avengers team?

remember when /co/ thought SJWs don't read comics?
>>
>>77716519

Didn't need to be a live-action series. Any serious exposure would have had the same effect.
>>
Making her die from cancer because of her body repairing it when channeling Thor powers is squicky as fuck. It would be better for her to have the cancer treatment instead of aggravating the problem until she dies.
>>
I like strong nordic women tho.
>>
The only way for them to get anyone to have an interest in anything is to use pre-existing IP. Anything else is too much of a gamble.

I think the problem is that too many people want to be working artists these days. There are too many comics, tv shows, stand up comedians, video games, books, cartoons, etc.

The result is a blurring effect where almost nothing can find true success due to swimming in a sea of media over saturation. Large entertainment companies don't know what to do. Their current strategy is bank on known IPs and just pump them out, hoping that their memorable names will work as a sort of beacon, standing out among all the noise.

Expect more domination of established "universes" not because it's what people want, but because it's what reliably makes any money. People are overwhelmed with choice and so avoid watching anything unless they know it's good. There's no reason to try anything new because so much is made, a sure bet is always just around the corner.

Oh, your company wants to be more progressive? Why make new characters who could fail? Just gender swap some of your existing humongous library of characters; there's plenty to go around.
>>
>>77715697
What does it say about whiny progressives who bitch that there aren't enough female or minority characters yet will only buy comics with established mainstream characters and don't support any new female or minority characters
>>
>>77715746
If only it were that simple.
>>
>>77717084
What if Thunderstrike turned into a girl when using his mace?
>>
Brand new heroes rarely sell these days regardless of race or gender. Even before they started doing it specifically to be progressive, replacing older characters has been the only way to make people give a shit about new characters for a good while now.
>>
>that's for saying feminist like it's a 4-letter word, creep!
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>77715865
When they create good things, they sell well, but they create good things so seldom and mostly by accident that they have no other way around it than x-washing and hoping for hatebucks.
>>
>>77717571
All 4 letter words are terrible. Fuck, shit, cunt, kill, rape, male, Thor...
>>
>>77715697
>Thor
>popular

what's next? bitching that Marvel is shutting down the X-Men to spite FOX, who get no revenues at all from the comics and literally could not make more than $8 million from all of the comic book readers left in the US and Canada going to see a movie, if all of them thought X-Men movies were worth seeing?
>>
>>77717604
But Bitch is 5 letters
>>
>>77717604
Nerd, Anon...
>>
>>77715697
Why do white guys get so threatened when women and minorites become more prevalent? I get that Thor and Cap and Iron Man are established characters and all, but for fucks sake. You guys are pretending they're the only prevalent white men in the entire 616 universe.
>>
>>77715697
SJWs demanding gender/race swapped heroes, drinking from cups emblazoned with "MALE TEARS" and posting "CRUSH THE PATRIARCHY" gifs on Facebook are functionally no different than the rednecks who slapped "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" ribbons on their SUVs.

This, too, shall pass.
>>
So what does it mean when a minority character gets replaced with another minority in terms of diversity points like the current Power Man?
>>
>>77717752
>the rednecks who slapped "SUPPORT OUR TROOPS" ribbons on their SUVs.

But this still happens anon, I doubt it'd ever go away.
>>
>>77717752
I think support for group (even if it's a bit misguided) is much better than actively hating a group.
>>
>>77715746
Then why didn't you buy Journey Into Mystery?
>>
>>77717744
>Ugh, why do these problematic shitlords care if characters they like are turned into biracial lesbians in a cheap, creatively bankrupt grab at sales under the guise of "progress"

I'd love to see a black female character turned into a white man and watch all those double standard tears flow.
>>
>>77718083
>double standard
Well yeah, there's only like what? 8 prominent black women in Marvel comics? As opposed to 221 named white dudes.
>>
>>77718083
Why is black the first race people hop too. Why not just antly non white hero getting that treatment?
>>
>>77718149
NIGGER DETECTED
>>
>>77718167
Because it's mostly framed as a black-white thing with a few muslims thrown in for diversity
>>
>>77718149
It is a double standard whether you want to admit it or not, tumblr.

>>77718167
Increased butthurt. You really think SJW's care about chinks or spics
>>
>>77715697
>About the industry
Nothing. Fucking nothing. It says a lot about Marvel, though.
>>
>>77718167
Because they are called "White" and "Black".
>>
Dude, in Earth X Thor was a transgender woman. CANON

Not a single fuck was given that day.
Why?
THAT SHIT IS TRITE AS FUCK!
>>
>>77718074
I Did it was fucking awesome.
>>
>>77718275
Because that was turned against Thor's will and just rolled with it.
>>
>>77718149
5. Marvel has 5 female black capes.
>>
>>77718558
Storm, Black Panther's sister, Monica, Misty Knight, ???
I'm drawing a blank on the last one.
>>
>>77715807
it's funny because you are saying only tumblr girls read comics. at this point you might even be right.
>>
>>77718721
Well you need disposable income to actually buy them.
>>
File: Loki.png (178 KB, 304x436) Image search: [Google]
Loki.png
178 KB, 304x436
>>77718275
Dude, it was a real and sexy gender change, nor make believe transhit.

But thi is not the main problem, the problens are on the writting, and the idea of making other person be Thor in Thors place for reasons never really explained.

The fact is that Whor being a woman is not a problem, she being boring and contrived is.

I would rather gave Thor gender swaped again.
>>
>>77718813
Something something more worthy than Thur.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.