[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Our beloved creator of the great webcomic The Meek has weighed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: appropriationtweet.jpg (36 KB, 587x196) Image search: [Google]
appropriationtweet.jpg
36 KB, 587x196
Our beloved creator of the great webcomic The Meek has weighed in at length on the perils of cultural appropriation in comics, ie white people writing about cultures you don't have a right to

Is she right, /co?
>>
>>77708643
Link to the article here, wouldn't let me put it in the OP without it being marked as spam:
https://medium.com/@shingworks/story-of-my-life-885ca06c70f5#.k3jgkvh4o
>>
tell that lazy dyke to stop writting essays and work on her webcomic that people have stopped carring about.
>>
>>77708643
No. Cultural appropriation isn't real.
>>
>humans have been sharing cultures since culture was a thing
>it's now considered wrong to do this (but only for whites)
>>
>>77708643
>Is she right, /co?
She's using the term "cultural appropriation", so I'm gonna go with a "no".
>>
Living culture IS apropriation. People mix all the time and up until now it was never a bad thing.

You know what you call someobe who wants his race neat and clean and uniform?
>>
>just a few generations ago my family was being raped and murdered, ripped apart and clawing their way to a better life
Poor her, it's not like other people's previous generations didn't include people who got raped or murdered or had to fight for a better life. Does she think all white people just used to be rich and well off through the generations and nobody had to suffer?
>>
Im not reading that shit.
>>
https://archive.is/hYVfI

And here is a link if you don't want to give clicks to a shit article.

Also, if you complain about cultural appropriation then you have no idea about the concept of culture.
>>
None of you fucks actually read her essay at all.

>But here was the Asian version, with a copy-paste template to fill culture into and profit from. I should note that the editors of the comic are not Asian, and only a handful of contributors are of Asian background. Why couldn’t this anthology have been strictly a submissions-based one, allowing for the many actual Asians of comics to tell their own stories, instead of soliciting art from hither and yon? Were offers to join based solely on contributor follower numbers to help promote a successful project? What is next… tales from South America? Indigenous peoples? fill in the box? Do projects like these promote cultural understanding, or reduce it to an easily digestible product? I don’t want to ask these questions about people whose work I enjoy, but how can I not, when the discussion about cultural appropriation has been so active lately? It has been in the back of my mind, bothering me for months.

but whatever, LOL SJW
>>
>>77708643
So is she advocating isolationism?
>>
File: BroadCityIlanaJerkOff.gif (2 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
BroadCityIlanaJerkOff.gif
2 MB, 500x278
>>77708683
>>77708694
>>77708710
>>77708711
>>77708729
>>77708733
>>77708735
>>
>>77708749
If people don't wanna buy they don't have to

Stopping blogging and start drawing Nancy
>>
>>77708643
I used to think she was pretty cool, she had this mysterious, strong aura about her and she mostly just made cool comics without tweeting whiny political tweets all the time. Nowadays she just comes across as a weakling crybaby who wants everyone to pity her.
>>
>>77708749
How is that not SJW shit?
>>
>>77708749
That is SJW bullshit to a T.
>ONLY ASIANS CAN WRITE ABOUT ASIAN STUFF
>>
>>77708694
yep. culture, like memes, act as a living creature, infecting or not those who come in contact with it.
once you are infected with a different culture, you assimilate it on your own set of beliefs and so. It becomes yours.
the idea of appropriating a culture or idea is not even possible. One does not appropriate cultural content, as one would do with a hat or a piece of cloth.
that is a very shallow view of culture!
or you assimilate and aggregate a new culture to yours, or you refuse it, like a fucking racist, or as,ironically, a SJW dyke who thinks each culture should be kept in a bottle and never mixed.
also
MOD FOR FUCK SAKE, START BANNING ALL THOSE TUMBLR DISCUSSION THREADS... they have tumblr to shit on, not need to come here too.
>>
>Somehow progressives have come to be against the mixing of cultures
The Klan must be happy.
>>
>>77708766
>>77708783

Everyone of you stupid fucks did a kneejerk reaction without even reading what she had to say.

You don't care, you got to sit smug on your high horse, ignorant and proud of it.
>>
>>77708749
I think the main point people are making is that the whole idea of "cultural appropriation" is a crock of shit so it's not worth spending any time thinking about it at all. And they're right. Who gives a fuck? It's just the latest trendy first-world problem for people with no real problems to be "concerned" about.

And it's also hilariously similar to the "separate but equal" ideas behind Jim Crow laws.
>>
>...who feel like it is appropriate to use culture to pay the bills. Like it is something you can simply google and sell as a product, going through continents like checklists. Culture isn’t that. It’s not a veneer. It is not skin. It is meat, something that lives and bleeds.

Yaaawn. I think I'll just keep raking in that money to pay my bills by "using culture", thank you very much.
>>
>>77708643
So basically her complaints are:
>Only Asians should be allowed to write about Asian cultures!
but also
>Some people asked me to write a story for an Asian comic anthology because I'm Asian, how dare they I've never been so offended in my life!

I sure would love to work with her.
>>
>>77708837
Minorities use culture to get in college all time.
are they wrongs? OH NOES!
>>
>multiculturalism is good
>cultural appropriation is bad

Pick one, faggots.
>>
File: Bill Nye 5.jpg (209 KB, 757x567) Image search: [Google]
Bill Nye 5.jpg
209 KB, 757x567
>>77708807
>>ONLY ASIANS CAN WRITE ABOUT ASIAN STUFF

>I was a little taken aback a few months ago when I received an invitation to join a comics anthology being made about Asian fairytales. I realized suddenly that… I didn’t know any! I’ve read many, yes, but I didn’t actually grow up with traditional stories, and felt a little self-conscious about just pulling one out of a book without a connection to it.

>Then I got another email with more information, and a suggestion that possible contributors (who had been pre-selected, as far as I know, without any submission process) use a website filled with book pdfs to pull a random story from to illustrate. The stories should cover such and such continents, and such and such regions, and no overlap, and etc etc etc.

>My mother was not tucked into bed at night. As a child she nearly singlehandedly raised her baby brother and kept him from starving, from being crushed in the street or dead of neglect. Her violent and resentful father didn’t come to live at “home” with them until she was well into her teens. So she doesn’t have a lot of fairy tales in her head..

>And there are other people, good people who I know and who I like, with their own stories and their own struggles, who feel like it is appropriate to use culture to pay the bills. Like it is something you can simply google and sell as a product, going through continents like checklists. Culture isn’t that. It’s not a veneer. It is not skin. It is meat, something that lives and bleeds.
>>
>>77708694
People who are against cultural appropriation are pro-segregation and oppose people sharing any ideas at all.

Other than ideas like "cultural appropriation is wrong".
>>
>>77708892

That's not her statement at all, you're simply building up a strawman that you can burn down in effigy.
>>
>>77708892
tumblr is retard.
or handicapped, don't know how to say it in a apologetic, social correct, way.
>>
>>77708643
>"One of my least favorite rituals was the glass of breakfast milk. I have never liked the taste of milk, and 1% sucks in particular. We would get a full glass of it every morning, and whatever I was “too slow” to finish would go into the fridge for me to drink that evening. I tried so very hard to be slow. Soaking it up with my napkin bit by bit. Watering nearby plants with milk. Due to lack of time or resources, my default workaround was simply to procrastinate on drinking it for several days in a row, until eventually it turned into an undrinkably sour and chunky mess. This would often lead to extreme shame sessions, replete with yelling and slamming cabinets. Do you think money grows on trees? Do you know how lucky you kids have it?"
What a bitch
>>
>>77708772
That was back when she was a well known and relevant webcomic artist. After her mega-hiatus she has become a nobody and better webcomics have taken the spotlight, she needed to cast off the mysterious veil and start screaming on twitter as much as possible to possibly claw herself back into some degree of relevancy.
>>
I disagree with her politically but The Meek is a good enough comic that I don't mind very much
>>
>>77708933
so what? tumblr does it all the time, It means we can do that too!
stop oppressing me!
>>
>>77708825
>>77708837
>>77708894
>>77708897
>>77708922

The anthology had nothing to do with her culture or background. It would have been artificial for her to present an asian fairytale as though it was an authentic part of her history.

But cry some about the klansmen and segregation.
>>
>Not being African, I decided to “stay in my lane.”
See, this is the problem. "I shouldn't learn about something outside my comfort zone because it's not 'mine.'"
>>
>>77708922
exactly. we are supposed to share and learn about others history and perspectives.
>>
>>77708945
she is clearly Hitler, and is not even thinking about those children starving in Africa.
she better apologize now or I will pretend to try to kill myself and blame it on her!
>>
>>77708825
Horseshoe theory has gotten a lot of cred lately.

>Women are delicate flowers who should be protected from mean words and scary ideas, like fictional portrayals of rape and misogyny
>Gender determines who you are, and if you don't fit into the traditional roles of your gender you aren't actually that gender
>How you treat people should be based on their race
>Cultures shouldn't mix
>Offensive speech should be censored
>>
>>77708953

She has an actual job that pays the bills.

The Meek is her hobby.
>>
File: tweetytweet.jpg (21 KB, 580x120) Image search: [Google]
tweetytweet.jpg
21 KB, 580x120
I had to check her twitter if she's really become a Tumblrer, and lol. Problematic.
>>
>>77709006
I agree with you, she supports the klansmen and segregation, and Im glad you called her on it.
and I fully approve your motion to burn her house down and dox her whole family.
>>
>>77709029
>problematic

Red flag. Dropped.
>>
>>77709013
but human species originated in Africa.
we are all Africans.
THAT BITCH IS A FUCKING NAZI!!!
>>
>>77709018
>exactly. we are supposed to share and learn about others history and perspectives.

Except Der-shing wasn't raised with fairytales and her own family history is significantly darker and more guilt and shame-driven.

/co/ doesn't actually seem to give a shit what Der-shing's life was like.
>>
>>77709028
Because the Meek isn't poplar enough to not be her hobby. It used to be THE long-form webcomic with good art that everybody read an she even had a publisher lined up for the book, now see what it is.
>>
>>77709006
So only people who live in the southwest US can write westerns? Only Germans can write stories about Nazis? Only British people can write stories about King Arthur?

Get fucked.
>>
>>77709056
>Red flag. Dropped.

RED PILLED, CULTURAL MARXISM.
>>
>>77709006
>The anthology had nothing to do with her culture or background. It would have been artificial for her to present an asian fairytale as though it was an authentic part of her history.
Is it not artificial for her to write about magic then, considering magic is fake?

She could simply refuse to write the story. Better yet, she could have used the opportunity to look into her roots some and explore something new. But that's just too triggering, now isn't it?
>>
>>77709029
What, did she advocate for the eradication of the african race or something?
>>
>>77708643
>she
No. :^)
>>
>>77709073
Because it doesn't matter. You don't need to be raised on a fairytale or come from the same society it was conceived in to write about it.
>>
>>77709023
hey... I noticed something aboout those tumblrs people...

>>Aryans are delicate flowers who should be protected from mean words and scary ideas, like fictional portrayals of multiculturalism and holocaust
>>Race determines who you are, and if you don't fit into the traditional roles of your Race you aren't actually human
>>How you treat people should be based on their race
>>Cultures shouldn't mix
>>Offensive speech against the beliefs of the majority should be censored
>>
FFS, not her, too! It's like a fucking virus.
>>
People who talk about cultural apropiation always sound to me like: "We should send blacks to africa and raise the wall between Mexico and the US"

Every single present culture is fucking influenced by other cultures.
If you are so afraid of offending mexicans then stop eating chocolate altogether because that has origins in their native culture. Japanese people wouldn't have their tea, architecture and writing system if it wasn't for other countries. We wouldn't be able to enjoy jazz and blues because that's black music, right? Why are these triggas so fucking retarded?
>>
>>77709073
So? Anyone can read up on that shit and write about it. Proof of that is she is complaining about non-Asians writing about them. They obviously did not grow up with them and look they are writing about them because Google fucking exists
>>
>>77709073
I'm waiting for her to write her own version of "Mein Kapf"
let's see if her sob story is better than Hitler's.
>>
>>77709107
She did? what a bitch. you should do something about it!
>>
>>77708643
Don't forget to remind her that non-whites aren't allowed to write about white culture, so they're not allowed to write:
-Tolkien-esque fantasy
-Science Fiction
-Wild West Cowboy setting
-Roman times (because for some fucking reason people think romans were white instead of mediterranean)
-Lovecraft
And the majority of other fiction.

Don't want other races appropriating our white culture.
>>
>>77709073
>/co/ doesn't actually seem to give a shit what Der-shing's life was like
Since when has 4chan given a shit about anyone's personal life? She could have taken the opportunity to learn something about her own culture and pass it on to others through a popular creative medium, but no. Let's make it a big fucking personal deal and an opportunity to whine instead.

>>77709056
Is there any better indicator of people to avoid than using that word? It's very useful that they parrot it at every opportunity.
>>
>>77709129
Yes, that was the exact point I was making. I made it as obvious as possible.
>>
>>77709086
>So only people who live in the southwest US can write westerns? Only Germans can write stories about Nazis? Only British people can write stories about King Arthur?
>Get fucked.

She didn't want to make a comic about asian fairy tales told by people who were just aping shit from a .pdf they had no familial history with.

It's one thing to make a western, or do a WWII movie, or spin Arthurian legend, but it's another to present something as a loving celebration of another culture that's really just a plastic product.

You're conflating her story with some grand statement about all storytelling.
>>
>>77709181
fuck off trump, you literal nazi
>>
>>77709130
yes, it the T virus.
Tumblr virus actually, don't get it mixed with the other virus.
>>
>>77709102
>She could simply refuse to write the story.

She did.

>Better yet, she could have used the opportunity to look into her roots some and explore something new.

She did. She wants to write about what a little shithead she was as a kid and tell something real about her past.

>But that's just too triggering, now isn't it?

Only to you, pepe.
>>
>>77709146
>Why are these triggas so fucking retarded?

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/
>>
That feel when your culture is so insignificant that maybe 4 or 5 Americans even know anything about it
I'd kick this cunt in her cunt if I could
>>
>>77709165
Nah, son. Just because you don't like the far-left mentality, doesn't mean you have to ball trip and go full right-winger.
>>
>>77709205
>She wants to write about what a little shithead she was as a kid and tell something real about her past.
But that's not new to her.
>>
>>77709180
>but it's another to present something as a loving celebration of another culture that's really just a plastic product
Which of those it is is determined purely by what the author wants, not where they come from. And guess what? Nearly all fiction, based on other cultures or not, is made with the primary intention of making money, and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>77709214
You Kushan or something?
>>
File: xfrtgtweet.jpg (20 KB, 580x120) Image search: [Google]
xfrtgtweet.jpg
20 KB, 580x120
So she's complaining that the anthology didn't have enough Asians involved:
>I should note that the editors of the comic are not Asian, and only a handful of contributors are of Asian background. Why couldn’t this anthology have been strictly a submissions-based one, allowing for the many actual Asians (or Africans, for the previous project) of comics to tell their own stories

but then she also tweeted pic related about how mad she is that they approached her for...being Asian. What the hell does she want from the editors, jusy not ask anyone to join their anthology and hope that some "actual Asians" show up for it out of the blue?
>>
>>77709209
woah nigga, you expect me to read all that shit?
make it 20 words or less
>>
>>77709130
>>77709199

did tumblr kill your mom and dad in an alley?
>>
>>77709216
Except it's true. The modern left is cancer
>>
>>77709239
No, I'm white, I guess
>>
>>77709249
they killed my freedom of speech.
that used to mean something some time ago
>>
File: 1341872786389.jpg (39 KB, 227x227) Image search: [Google]
1341872786389.jpg
39 KB, 227x227
>>77709243
Triggas are a bag of contradictions and make no sense, bruh.
Call them on it and you still won't have an answer.
They don't want anything they say they want. The only thing they thirst for is being offended.
>>
>>77709160
>I'm waiting for her to write her own version of "Mein Kapf"
>let's see if her sob story is better than Hitler's
It already is:
>And I’ll tell them about how my mom used to eat raw rice out of the dirt to survive,
>>
>>77709180
>It's one thing to make a western, or do a WWII movie, or spin Arthurian legend, but it's another to present something as a loving celebration of another culture that's really just a plastic product.
but that's exactly what happens 99% of the time. For fuck's sake, you think that most tales or movies are historically accurate?
>>
>>77709216
Funny thing is that this shit is barely the left at all. Not even leftists agree with identity politics, as it undermines concepts like and the importance immediate class struggle and separates people, instead of bringing together people with needs and effectively victimizes the minority groups themselves.
>>
>>77709243
It sounds like they chose contributors based on merit instead of race, the cads.
>>
>>77709180
>It's one thing to make a western, or do a WWII movie, or spin Arthurian legend, but it's another to present something as a loving celebration of another culture that's really just a plastic product.
It's the same fucking thing. Exactly the same fucking thing
>>
File: o-DAVID-CROSS-BUSH-facebook.jpg (637 KB, 1536x2082) Image search: [Google]
o-DAVID-CROSS-BUSH-facebook.jpg
637 KB, 1536x2082
>>77709214
>I'd kick this cunt in her cunt if I could
>>
>>77709258

He's referring to the "kikes and their pet nigger" crack. He wouldn't call you a right winger if you had said "SJW whackjobs/hipster faggots /etc."

Besides, SJWs hate Jews too.
>>
>>77709273
>>And I’ll tell them about how my mom used to eat raw rice out of the dirt to survive,
bullshit
Hitler's suffering for his art while the jew-controled media refused to let him be a cool artist is much more dramatic.
>>
>>77709272
>Triggas
Is this a new word filter? Because I've never heard anyone use this term before and it's popped up half a dozen times in this thread alone.
>>
File: Bill Nye 3.jpg (63 KB, 757x567) Image search: [Google]
Bill Nye 3.jpg
63 KB, 757x567
>>77709270
>they killed my freedom of speech.

did they?

dis they reall /co/?
>>
>>77709244
>I can tolerate anything except the outgroup
there

>>77709272
>Triggas
is this some new word mixing nigga and tumblrinas or something?
>>
>>77709323
Nah some people just decided to start using it for fun.
>>
Nobody cares about your essay on Blogspot
>>
>>77709177
>>Wild West Cowboy setting

If you really want to be anal about this, the whole cowboy thing was actually started by the Mexicans.

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/cowboyculture.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy

http://www.americancowboy.com/article/history-vaquero
>>
>>77708749
what i took of it is the the artist is complaining that the editors want to seem progressive by including other cultures but are doing it in such a halfassed coockie cutter way that it becomes insulting to do so
>>
>>77709290
>identity politics

And there it is, I'm so close to MRA bingo.
>>
File: kill six billion demons.jpg (430 KB, 750x1120) Image search: [Google]
kill six billion demons.jpg
430 KB, 750x1120
I would kill to find out what her opinion of Kill Six Billion Demons. It's blowing the fuck up right now, it's clearly based on Hindu and Buddhist mythology and Abbadon is probably a white weeaboo.
>>
>>77709326

Well, they allow convicted pedos on Twitter as long as they spout SJW BS, but the minute you call them out, you get banned.
>>
>>77709340
>is this some new word mixing nigga and tumblrinas or something?
trigger + nigger
>>
>>77709243
I...cant believe I used to respect her.
>>
>>77708922
Really a lot of this is proto-Maoist Cultural Revolution. There's a site that proudly lists all of the demands of protesters at various colleges and one of them at one college is mandatory "cultural competency" training and once a week having a faculty member step forward to publicly admit to and apologize for their privilege.

They're literally demanding to implement Struggle Sessions, a staple of the Red Guard, into at least one college.
>>
>>77709326
yes they did.
>>
>>77709354
I thought that was a SJW term.
>>
>>77709326
>did they?
>dis they reall /co/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJaM8IOev7E
>>
>>77709340
>is this some new word mixing nigga and tumblrinas or something?
yes
>>
>>77709270
Flash news dumbo: Nobody gives a shit about free speech, YOU don't give a shit about free speech. You just want the right to say what you want and the same right for people who agree with you, but you would gladly shut up someone who disagree with you, you and everyone else. Fuck you and fuck this whole gay world
>>
>>77709354
it is what it is. Are you that afraid of words?
>>
>>77709354
What? That's the correct term, and it's been for ages.
>>
>>77709349

That's more-or-less it, yeah.
>>
>>77709386
>Nobody gives a shit about free speech
I do. I'd get pissed if people making obnoxious SJW posts got their posts deleted for their views.
>>
>>77709367

I can't believe your respect for someone is so shallow.
>>
Honestly, the main reason people shouldn't write about other cultures is mostly because it would be pretty retarded like Megatokyo, not because it's a huge statement about racism and shit. There's always little details in culture like how people interact with eachother or values that always end up westernized and it's kinda cringy to the native people.

If you are well informed then proceed with caution to avoid being retarded.
>>
>>77709388
>>77709393

MRAs write their little manifestos and coach themselves to use certain buzzwords.

They're all so desperate to appear official and organized, they only underscore their own emotional-driven need to be seen as legitimate and mature.
>>
>>77709326
they are killing everything 4chan stood for.
when we were capable of standing at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM
>>
>>77708643
Cultural Apropriation isn't a real thing thb.
Just write what you want and try to make a good story.

I enjoy writing comics based on British and Irish mythology but I am in NO way Irish/British myself
>>
>>77709249
No. Why? Let me guess, because of GG and /co/ constantly ragging on "SJWs" you think I'm against social justice? I'm all for it, it's just if you haven't noticed Internet SJ can be extremely toxic.
I understand wanting to not mock other cultures, that's where the term "Cultural Appropriation" comes from, like those hipster kids that where war bonnets without knowing the significance. But,s it's gone from that to (if you are white) you can't read/write/learn/be inspired/eat the food of another culture, without it being imperialistic and "appropriative". Yet, at the same time if you were white and you didn't want to touch anything, because it's "ethnic" you'd be called a racist. It's circular logic at it's finest. And, it's unhealthy. I've saw post on Tumblr that were calling for straight-up segregation it's gotten that bad.

And how is one person of one ethnicity writing a person of another ethnicity bad, as long as they research?
>>
>>77709386
>you would gladly shut up someone who disagree with you, you and everyone else
Fuck off, I love arguing. Why would I be here if I didn't? What on earth would I do if people I hate weren't allowed to spout their stupid opinions?
>>
>>77709419
so if it's not a direct 1-to-1 ripping of another culture, is that okay? Because plenty of sci-fi and fantasy settings liberally take mishmashes from a scattering of cultures and they're the better for it.
>>
>>77709347
>>77709177
And then a bunch of Italians got their hands on westerns and made some of the greatest movies of all time.
>>
>>77709450
But that's not an MRA word. SJWs us it too. It's the proper term for the issue on both sides.
>>
>>77709450
Lmao
>>
>>77709386
HOW DARE YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!
don't use the word "gay", it's not correct with our homosexual, bisexual, pan-sexual and asexual friends.
>>
>>77709386
>but you would gladly shut up someone who disagree with you,

Can you provide evidence for that statement?
I think you can say whatever bullshit you want and long as I have the same right.
I believe that people who say what I just greentexted are generally projecting
>>
>>77709177
Someone please start a fake tumblr pointing out these things. I want to see reactions when this stuff is pointed out.
>>
>>77708898
>Like it is something you can simply google and sell as a product, going through continents like checklists.

Uh?

Yes, you can.

And I say it as a anthropologist. What a faggot.
>>
>>77709458

I'm not watching a seven minute video.
>>
>>77709386
>dumbo
Lol what is the elementary school?

I would gladly allow anyone who wants to speak their mind. That's freedom of speech. You fight ideas with ideas. Not cencorship. Even if you don't agree with "hate speech" you can not ban it. Why? Because those in power define what hate speech is. Russia and most of Africa ban promotion of homosexuality. If republicans got in power they would ban the "persecution of christains" like the Davis lady. The moment you kick the stone down the hill there is no stopping it.

Having the freedom to speak your mind means others should to. That's equality. Anything else is just inviting authoritative government that the people, especially the next generation, will push back againt. That what happened during the 60s and 70s after the red scare, and that whats gonna happen now.
>>
>>77708643
>The article is mostly about culture being categorized, marketed, and sold as a product/commodity
>Basically writing against soulless "diversity for diversity" sake stories that get paraded around so companies can get asspats and jewgold from SJWs
>/co/ uses it as an excuse to bait and shitpost and call the author a SJW because nobody actually reads the article

BRAVO /CO/
R
A
V
O
>>
>>77709450
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/identity-politics/
>>
File: THE-GOOD-THE-BAD-BILLY-PERKINS.jpg (349 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
THE-GOOD-THE-BAD-BILLY-PERKINS.jpg
349 KB, 700x700
>>77709477
>This movie would not exist if people ared about cultural apropriation

Oh wait, I forgot white people have no culture, so it's ok :^)
>>
>>77709523
why, it offends your beliefs? if yes, sorry
>>
>>77709469
Dunno, the only thing I'm able to tell you is that hearing an asian character written by anyone else in the world be obsessed with MAH HONORU is cringy as fuck. I don't think taking elements and inspirations from other cultures is bad. I just hate when a typical landwhale tries to write comics about cute japanese boyz talking in desu kawaii just because she read gravitation once.
>>
>>77709464
>And how is one person of one ethnicity writing a person of another ethnicity bad, as long as they research?

Der-Shing's perspective was that it was inauthentic for her to write about a fairytale selected from a .pdf that she had no personal history with.
>>
>>77708733
Is she black? Because if so, maybe she should be casting angry glares at her fellow blacks. It wasn't white people that were capturing and then selling Africans directly from Africa.

She should be glaring at Muslims too since they were enslaving blacks long before the Atlantic slave trade was a thing.
>>
>>77709534
Its about her throwing a fit over not knowing an Asian fairy tale for a book of asian fairy tales.

But hey, maybe she'll fuck you some day if you suck up hard enough you miserable little quisling.
>>
>>77709450
>uses identity politics; labeling, belittling, and stereotyping; to devalue and discredit a word, in an attempt to discredit the use of the very word itself.

masterful troll or giant retard?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>77709561
>why, it offends your beliefs? if yes, sorry

Any skit over three minutes is in need of editing.

So yes, it offends me.
>>
>>77709534
Because "cultural appropriation" being wrong is nonsense. The article itself has her complaining that the artists involved weren't exclusively Asian.

Almost all fiction is made to be a product first. Saying you can't make fiction about anything outside your own background is retarded.
>>
File: 1345623116570.jpg (34 KB, 234x317) Image search: [Google]
1345623116570.jpg
34 KB, 234x317
>>77709534
Well, she didn't sell the article that way in that tweet but I guess it's our fault for not actually reading it.
In fact I still haven't so you might be completely lying about the subject and I'll never know because I'm lazy.
>>
>>77708898
This is so dumb. In fact it misses the point of what culture is entirely.
>>
>>77709386
>Nobody gives a shit about free speech
I give a shit about free speech. Don't lump everyone in with yourself because of your narrowminded, bigoted (and I mean textbook definition bigoted) worldview.
>>
>>77709534
The argue minis that one should still be ALLOWED to though if given the chance.

We might dislike the practice, but that doesn't mean we want to ban it.
>>
>>77709302
Do you not understand the context of the anthology as a celebration of one's personal culture as opposed to a person simply wanting to tell a story involving knights or nazis or are you being obtuse on purpose? Like, are you literally fucking retarded or just baiting?
>>
>>77709564
>an asian character written by anyone else in the world be obsessed with MAH HONORU is cringy as fuck
That would be racist for different reasons. It's entirely possible for a white person to write a non-stereotypical Asian character.
>>
File: shrugging-guy.jpg (789 KB, 2122x1415) Image search: [Google]
shrugging-guy.jpg
789 KB, 2122x1415
>Asian complains about cultural issues

puh-lease

Let's be honest with ourselves here. East asians are basically the white people of minorities
>>
>>77709293
I get that somebody wouldn't want people writing "the adventures of Nip Nong the chink chong" Just cause, but the current SJW line seems to be that even the competant people that actually do some research so they aren't just churning out sterotypes have no business doing it.

Though the craziest person I ever saw was screaming about FOOD appropriation. Like, if you but Kimchee on pizza your a bad person. (I did that just because I read this fucking article. Wasn't too bad.)
>>
>>77709450
>They write their little manifestos and coach themselves to use certain buzzwords.
>They're all so desperate to appear official and organized, they only underscore their own emotional-driven need to be seen as legitimate and mature.
sounds like you summed up BLM
>>
>>77709576
>Its about her throwing a fit

She wrote an short essay.

>But hey, maybe she'll fuck you some day if you suck up hard enough you miserable little quisling.

I'll have you know I suck my own dick.
>>
File: 1447318244207.gif (2 MB, 210x197) Image search: [Google]
1447318244207.gif
2 MB, 210x197
How is cultural appropriation in any way different from segregation?

>No, no, no, no! You can never, ever be influenced by another culture! Only people of this specific group of people can do thing!
This is just reverse Jim Crow.

Math is cultural appropriation.
Language, both verbal and written, is cultural appropriation.

I agree stuff like girls in their 20s wearing Indian headdresses for trendy fashion at music festivals is gross and wrong, but borrowing ideas from other cultures is a very different thing.
>>
>>77709622

She's mixed, white/mexican/asian.
>>
>>77709643
I don't give a shit about your beliefs, I just want to see this. Pics?
>>
>>77709326
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXC50BhjV7o
>>
>>77709576
>you miserable little quisling.

why do you people always talk like comic book characters when you argue about social justice

do you honestly believe this makes you sound intelligent instead of cringey or are you actually this bad at socialization
>>
>>77709575
>Is she black?
She's Asian, therefore immensely oppressed by the evil white rape forces.
>>
>>77709619
>It's entirely possible for a white person to write a non-stereotypical Asian character.
I know. Because that person can be a good writer and I'm not calling on people who are able to, nor do I am telling people to not write other cultures. I'm saying that the only reason to avoid writing about other cultures is because most writers are misinformed and sometimes it comes out cringy as fuck. Like that Megatokyo guy.
>>
>>77709665
you mean she is appropriating Mexican and Asian culture and genomes.
shameful
>>
File: ashton-kutcher.png (604 KB, 1340x749) Image search: [Google]
ashton-kutcher.png
604 KB, 1340x749
>>77709660
>How is cultural appropriation in any way different from segregation?
>>
>>77709671

Get that shit under three minutes and i'll watch it.
>>
>>77709660
>How is cultural appropriation in any way different from segregation?
'Cultural appropriation' leads to progress. It's through taking one's own culture and complimenting it with aspects of other cultures that things tend to become better. You know, like Tex-Mex
>>
>>77709665
Her genetics are cultural appropriation. How can she live with herself?
>>
File: 51755950_p0.png (351 KB, 560x800) Image search: [Google]
51755950_p0.png
351 KB, 560x800
Apparently they approached her to contribute but she got angry for, get this, "approaching me because I'm Asian."

It's lose lose with these people.
>>
>>77709660
>I agree stuff like girls in their 20s wearing Indian headdresses for trendy fashion at music festivals is gross and wrong,
I disagree. Unless it has religious motives and such that may be insulting for the people in question, taking inspiration in traditional clothes from other cultures shouldn't be something as taboo.
>>
>Asian culturally appropriating the English language and Western technology
>>
>>77709627
I think the food bit is hilarious.
SJWs you would aparently be perfectly fine with foreign restaurants going out of business if people stopped "culturally appropriating" their food
>>
>>77709727
Sorry, I meant the bitching about cultural appropriation is no different from segregation.
I mentioned in my post how math and language are examples of cultural appropriation being important.
>>
The people that whine about cultural appropriation are the same people that say that the people bothered by *cough* "geek culture" being watered down to a marketable mainstream bowl of oatmeal are self entitled whiners.
>>
>>77709665
So basically she just picks whatever minority group she wants to belong to at the time for maximum oppression points. Asian/White isn't oppressed enough? Well now she's 10% mexican.
>>
>>77709665
>mexican/asian
>wonders if she's white enough
quit appropriating white culture, shitlord.
>>
>>77709759
There was a news story months ago about a white girl vandalizing an asian-owned restaurant because it was called The Chinaman or something like that, because she was OFFENDED and IT'S 2015.
These people are legit cunts and hypocrites.
>>
>>77709749
>. Unless it has religious motives and such that may be insulting for the people in question, taking inspiration in traditional clothes from other cultures shouldn't be something as taboo.
Why should religious reasons make something more taboo than cultural reasons? Fuck you Ahmed, if I want to put a burkha on my dog I will, get offended all you want.
>>
>white people writing about cultures you don't have a right to

Where does one acquire these rights? Pretty sure I was born with them
>>
There's clearly only like three people in this thread who actually read the article and didn't just kneejerk "damn sjws!" at the sight of the term "cultural appropriation".

It's mostly about how shallow shows of diversity in an attempt to seem progressive are actually stupidly offensive.
>>
>Her own description of her webcomic, The Meek:
>A webcomic about a young girl who goes on an epic adventure to decide the fate of mankind. She is also mostly naked. Updates weekly!
>She is also mostly naked.

Does this shitlord know how PROBLEMATIC she is?

Also, judging from her webcomic this girl should be focusing on getting better with her art, not wasting her time writting essays about "cultural appropriation."
>>
File: 1334634393852.jpg (82 KB, 406x406) Image search: [Google]
1334634393852.jpg
82 KB, 406x406
>>77709665
So by default she's filipina?
>>
File: 4841141915_016c6c8c79_b.jpg (425 KB, 1008x744) Image search: [Google]
4841141915_016c6c8c79_b.jpg
425 KB, 1008x744
>>77709764

She's mostly asian.
>>
>>77709794
Her father is german (hence the last name Helmer), so she's half white and quite well off. Asian/mexican is her other half, the oppressed one.
>>
>>77709816
She? Anon, you're not going to convince me that isn't a 13 year old boy.
>>
>>77709808

She doesn't advocate this position at all.

It's almost like you didn't read what she had to say and you're spinning a strawman that's easier to parody and ridicule.
>>
>>77709811
>It's mostly about how shallow shows of diversity in an attempt to seem progressive are actually stupidly offensive.
I read it, I just think she's retarded because of everything surrounding that one tiny nugget in the article
>>
>>77709660
>I agree stuff like girls in their 20s wearing Indian headdresses for trendy fashion at music festivals is gross and wrong

So what makes you better than an SJW, exactly? What a bizarre post. If you think cultural appropriation is "gross and wrong" please fucking kill yourself, you idiot racist.
>>
>>77709835
I didn't read it because I'm a white male
>>
>>77709812
She needed a selling point for her comic and that was the only one there is. She's allowed to be "problematic" because she's not white.
>>
File: 00001007.jpg (70 KB, 230x242) Image search: [Google]
00001007.jpg
70 KB, 230x242
>>77709811
>It's mostly about how shallow shows of diversity in an attempt to seem progressive are actually stupidly offensive.

How dare you mock my right to be ignorant.

You're stomping all over my first amendment rights, you goose-stepping fascist.
>>
>>77709798
>Why should religious reasons make something more taboo than cultural reasons?
Because religious people do consider religion more important than their culture. Like, as a spic, I don't care if people wear sombreros and ponchos on halloween, but as a mexican air nomad, I'd be upset if you tatooed arrows on your body instead of earning them.
>>
So I can't write comics about samurais cuz I'm Mexican? That's fucking retarded.
>>
File: BtVpSD5CMAAojth.jpg (71 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
BtVpSD5CMAAojth.jpg
71 KB, 576x1024
>>77709814
>So by default she's filipina?

Pinay women are hotter.
>>
>>77709816
female asian aaron diaz
>>
>>77709811
AGAIN. The problem is that she both bitched your point BUT ALSO that there weren't enough Asian people on the project anyways.

You can't complain about being chosen based on race if you want the work to only be done by people of your race. It's the most idiot catch 22 I've ever seen.
>>
>>77709876
that's a dude
>>
>>77709816
My eyes are bleeding. Asian/german/mexican is clearly the most unattractive mix there is. It's weird how mixing three generally good-looking ethnicities results on something so grotesque.
>>
>>77709865
I'd say religion is an integral part of a person's culture
>>
>>77709876
That has/had a dick or the worst case of man face I've seen in a while.
>>
>>77709876
Man face
>>
>>77709749
http://www.indians.org/articles/native-american-headdress.html

>It is also a very surprising and little known fact that women did not participate in making the Native American headdress.

Indian headdress are sexist.
>>
>>77709894
>she both bitched your point BUT ALSO that there weren't enough Asian people on the project anyways.

It feels less like bitching and more like a calm observation.
>>
>>77708643

As a Scotsman and a pussy, it deeply upsets me when non-Celts appropriate our beloved festival of Samhain as an excuse to sell candy and horror movies. IS NOTHING SACRED?
>>
>>77709816
Suddenly this all makes sense.
>>
>>77709907
The thing is, the point of religion is that you can practice it regardless of where you come from. Even if religion is an integral part of the culture of a society, country or whatever, it has a higher status of "please don't take this lightly" than clothing or national traditions.
>>
>>77709894
Maybe her point was that she didn't even grow up in Asian culture, so it's weird that asian americans are approached for something like this and that instead native asians should be approached instead?

I don't know, it's the only thing I can think of where she isn't hypocritical
>>
>>77709865
>Because religious people do consider religion more important than their culture. Like, as a spic, I don't care if people wear sombreros and ponchos on halloween, but as a mexican air nomad, I'd be upset if you tatooed arrows on your body instead of earning them.
You're literally making the same argument as the cultural appropriation SJW's, but you think your religious identity is more important than their cultural identity.
Brb, gonna design some mexican air nomad arrows for my buddy's tattoo store, they'll probably be popular. Don't be too upset.
>>
>>77709808
>Pretty sure I was born with them
well, aren't you a little cultural apropriator? you can only have cultural rights after a board of tumblerists evaluate your privileges!
>>
File: BTA-y3ZCcAIL-CX.jpg (34 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
BTA-y3ZCcAIL-CX.jpg
34 KB, 600x800
>>77709899
>>77709916
>>77709919

You lads doth protest too much
>>
>>77709865
Religion is culture.
>>
>>77710001
I hope she has a dick
>>
>>77709929
No, it's just bitching.
>>
>>77709811
thats how we do things here.
if you don't like it, take your own fat ass and your annoying threads and take them to /b/. where i am sure they will discuss them properly.
we are here solely to ask how long will take for kazerad to post his next chapter.
>>
>>77709816
she has the body and face of a Asian, but if she really want to be called Asian she has to die that hair blonde like a K-pop singer or jet black.
>>
>>77709929
It's a hypocritical observation when she also is concerned that they picked her for her race.
>>
>>77709534
>>The article is mostly about culture being categorized, marketed, and sold as a product/commodity
There is literally nothing wrong with that. What use is culture you can't personally exploit in order to profit from?
>>
>>77709977
>she didn't even grow up in Asian culture, so it's weird that asian americans are approached for something like this and that instead native asians should be approached instead?
But her mom is a native asian, so it's actually more reasonable to ask her rather than a random asian. It's possible that she had heard some fairy tales from her mom's youth for all they know. Also, she does write a webcomic with asian undertones. That begs some authority on the subject
>>
>>77709830
>german
I told you she was a Nazi. judt watch as she denies having involvement in the holocaust!
>>
>>77709977
>Maybe her point was that she didn't even grow up in Asian culture, so it's weird that asian americans are approached for something like this and that instead native asians should be approached instead?
No, because the people hired onto this project weren't approached for being Asian. They came from a variety of backgrounds, with a minority being Asian.
>>
>>77708643
Whatever stops people from trying to NOT be racist, which is racists in and of itself.
>>
>>77709982
>but you think your religious identity is more important than their cultural identity.
Yes, I kinda do. Because I do believe religious people do want that respect when it comes to their beliefs, meanwhile everyone is fine sharing culture and traditions with other people except for the SJW who want to segregate everyone.
It's two different beasts.
>>
>>77710063
Is her mom a comic creator?
>>
Wow she really doesn't talk about cultural appropriation all that much in her little rant.

To be on topic with the thread, cultural appropriation is a fucking stupid notion because the best westerns are made by Italians and the best Japanese films were inspired by westerns (which then became the inspiration for more westerns and Star Wars) but with that said you probably shouldn't write about a subject you know nothing about IF ONLY to avoid looking like an idiot.
>>
>>77708643
These people want a melting pot society where cultural appropriation doesn't exist. That's a fucking contradiction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with cultural appropriation.
>>
>>77709534
>The article is mostly about culture being categorized, marketed, and sold as a product/commodity
How else are people supposed to raise cultural awareness? Most people don't have enough fucks to give to go around telling people about different cultures for free. There is nothing wrong with having an anthology of stories for a culture.
>>
If you believe in cultural appropriation you are a racist.
>>
File: CGwe7Z7UQAA6TlZ.jpg (68 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
CGwe7Z7UQAA6TlZ.jpg
68 KB, 600x800
>>77710017

She does not have a dick.
>>
>>77710007
Yes, but it's also sacred for the ones who live by it. Culture is not.
>>
>>77710110
Then she's a shit.
>>
>>77710102
Actually they want to reintroduce slavery with white cis males as the slaves.
>>
>>77709816
she looks like a little boy.
>>
File: sleepy hollow.gif (511 KB, 245x145) Image search: [Google]
sleepy hollow.gif
511 KB, 245x145
>>77710086
>Whatever stops people from trying to NOT be racist, which is racists in and of itself.
>>
>>77710095
No, but her mom probably heard some kid's stories while growing up in her homeland. You know, the whole thing the project was about-adapting those stories into comic form?
>>
>>77710110
OK, that is discriminatory against trans people!
get her a dick now!
>>
>>77710133
Ah okay, I misunderstood.
>>
>>77710094
>Yes, I kinda do. Because I do believe religious people do want that respect when it comes to their beliefs
You can want it all you want, but that doesn't mean anyone has to give you that respect. Respect is earned, not freely given, demanding respect is just another reason to not respect you people.
>>
>Caring for such petty things.
I may be a yuropoor french soon to be killed by ISIS, but fuck there we don't deal with this kind of bullshit. Cultures mix well here, and often for the better.
>>
>>77710114
Calling it sacred is the same nonsense as saying cultural appropriation is wrong. People can follow any religion they like, but they don't get to decide who gets to use ideas and imagery from their religion.
>>
>>77710058
.....which brings up this question: Why did they pick her? I mean, if she often talks about how shitty her and her mom's life is, then shouldn't they know that she wasn't the right pick for this project?
>>
>>77710122
I know.
hot, isn't?
>>
>>77709865
>Because religious people do consider religion more important than their culture
>>77710114
>it's also sacred for the ones who live by it. Culture is not.
So you're saying people's rights end where your feelings begin?
>>
>>77710152
Probably because they liked her comic. So merit-based.
>>
>>77708643
>>77708668
So as a Mexican it would be wrong for me to write about the Irish?
>>
>>77709565
That I can understand, but in the article she was talking about the African anthology, but wouldn't think of contributing and would "stay in her lane". Why should one person of one ethnicity essentially not be allowed to write a story about another? I understand her annoyment about there hardly being any Asian people on staff or heading it, but yet she doesn't want people to talk to her about an Asian project, because she's Asian. So if you were an editor what would you do in that situation?
>>
>>77710152
they probably made the highly inappropriate thing of judging her talents from her work, and not from her tumblr comments.
white people, I bet they are straight too;
>>
>>77710145
Sometimes I envy you Euros, then I think about the burgers, how vastly closer you are to the nonsense that is Russia and the Middle East, and the usual release date delay between video game launches between the US and Europe and I realize its better here.
>>
>>77710174
No, but if you wrote like shit and were totally wrong about every thing you'd look like an idiot.
>>
File: zz6wzxqvuadg7yyj1yhu.jpg (48 KB, 463x600) Image search: [Google]
zz6wzxqvuadg7yyj1yhu.jpg
48 KB, 463x600
>>77710120
>Then she's a shit.

But she's got an ass that won't quit!
>>
Anyone who uses "write a thing" as a way of describing an action should be just be ignored and if possibly silenced, because you know it'll be stupid, unintelligent nonsense.
>>
>>77710147
But when the religion is directly influenced by the culture it gets annoying when middle class white hipsters in America start throwing up shrines to the White Girl.
>>
>>77710174
From what I've gathered people don't seem to care so much if you write about European cultures, because they're white.
>>
>>77710192
Meh. Our burgers are better anyways, and I only play Platinum games :^)
>>
>>77710174
There might have been Irish cowboys.
>>
>>77710174
No; white people have no culture according to the Tumblr Church of Tolerance, it's it's ok to appropriate it
>>
>>77710216
It's not worth it without a dick.
>>
>>77710214
>if you wrote like shit and were totally wrong about every thing you'd look like an idiot.

Well we dont need an angry internet chick to tell us that, thats just common sense.
>>
>>77710152
>Why did they pick her?
If I had to guess? Comic looks good, has asian undertones. Further research may have turned up some asian heritage.
>>
>>77710142
>>77710147
Guys, you are completely missing my point. I'm not saying it's important to the world and you can't do whatever you want to do, but I'm saying it is very important and it's more offensive to them to take a religious symbol and corrupt it than a general cultural/national symbol.
As in, the argument about cultural appropiation is that in real life no one gets mad if people want to enjoy other culture's customs and all that shit. Most of them like to share these traditions with other cultures, or food, or whatever.
But when it comes to religion, religious people don't take it lightly. YOU don't have to respect it, whatever. But this is when people would choose others to get that respect. No one is going to be upset if you are eating enchiladas, but people would be upset if you use the Virgin Mary as an ad campaign about shoes.
>>
>>77710169
>So you're saying people's rights end where your feelings begin?
No, but thanks for missing the point.
>>
>>77710223
It's really weird how she could have just said "essay" and come across as a bit more credible.

She doesn't even really talk about cultural appropriation, she questions cultural identity and asks if she is right to write such things while knowing no asian fairy tales.
>>
>>77710234
Are those usually simultaneously released?
>>
>>77710262
>>77710281
For that matter I am not defending religion whatsoever nor their practicioners. That is besides the point. What I'm saying is that religious people take their stuff way more serious than their culture. Yes, religion is culture, but it is also separated from national culture.
>>
>>77710262
>I'm saying it is very important and it's more offensive to them to take a religious symbol and corrupt it than a general cultural/national symbol.
Being offended doesn't mean anything. Anyone can get offended over anything.

>No one is going to be upset if you are eating enchiladas, but people would be upset if you use the Virgin Mary as an ad campaign about shoes.
That's their problem, though.
>>
>>77710319
I don't play enough vidya to respond to you, sorry ameribro.
>>
>>77709354
>MRA
Ah yes, the default SJW term for any male who disagrees with them.
>>
File: 2.jpg (461 KB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
461 KB, 1333x2000
>>77710246

Well I'm also fond of Jasmine.

She's got a redbull can between her legs.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.