[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you make a modern D&D cartoon, /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 25
File: 04-dnd5.jpg (65 KB, 688x506) Image search: [Google]
04-dnd5.jpg
65 KB, 688x506
How would you make a modern D&D cartoon, /co/?
>>
>>77657527
Let /tg/ staff it.
>>
File: orc logic.png (1023 KB, 1179x446) Image search: [Google]
orc logic.png
1023 KB, 1179x446
>>
Make all the characters quirky teens who point put all the fantasy cliches and say things like "Nerdgasm!" when something epic happens.
>>
File: Fell's Five.jpg (54 KB, 585x640) Image search: [Google]
Fell's Five.jpg
54 KB, 585x640
Fell's Five: The Animated Series.
>>
File: Breloom.png (22 KB, 508x484) Image search: [Google]
Breloom.png
22 KB, 508x484
>>77657570
>>
File: Take My Money By Force.png (135 KB, 292x363) Image search: [Google]
Take My Money By Force.png
135 KB, 292x363
>>77657576
>>
>>77657527
Why did Tiamat look so awkward in this cartoon?
>>
>>77657527
bazinga
>>
File: 04-dnd18.jpg (57 KB, 688x511) Image search: [Google]
04-dnd18.jpg
57 KB, 688x511
>>77657602
(OP) I never watched it actually. I just happens to have a few images but that's it.
>>
The Paladin trips over something and hits the ground every episode. That's the only joke I must have.
>>
>>77657542
I second this, /th/ can sometimes tell a good story
>>
>>77657527
I can see it now.
>Hispanic female fighter leader for muh privilege.
>Stereotypical white nerd wizard who's the butt of every slapstick gag and never gets any respect except for that one special episode.
>Girly cleric to pose contrast to the leader, probably Asian.
>Uptight black guy is the paladin, >>77657667 joke, is best buds with the wizard.
>Goblin they befriend becomes the thief/rogue.
>Female elven archer to round things out.
>And Drizzt as the cameo reasonable adult figure that actually does cool things and is a mentor to the Fighter.

>>77657576
I would literally cut off one of my fingers to make this happen.
>>
>>77657527
Every episode opens up with a kid running into a tavern to meet with their grandpa, who is drinking by the fireplace. The kid asks the grandpa for a story about his past and the grandpa starts telling him about an adventurer or a kingdom or a quest. Each time it's a new story, sometimes characters or locations from the earlier stories show up.

The story would sometimes be interrupted by the kid a la The Princess Bride, and sometimes the Grandpa would make obvious embellishments to it. One episode would have the kid retelling one of their grandpa's stories to their friends.

Series finale is the grandpa telling the kid about his own adventures and how he came to know all these great heroes.

Tl;dr
Every episode is its own self-contained stort, with tiny plot threads that connect them
>>
>>77657527
Self-aware but not obnoxiously so. A human paladin that wants to be the leader but no one respects because of the stick up his ass, a dwarf banker with dabbling knowledge in axe-throwing that is the party's investor and certainly NOT its brainless muscle, an elven ranger that is a raging hothead that really really wants to be the cool guy, a half-orc rogue that finds it offensive you think she's too big and beefy to sneak even though it is completely true, and a tiefling sorceress who everyone assumes has some stupid, complex backstory even though she just grew up on a farm with her family must join forces on behalf of the queen to travel across the ocean to a strange new land and seek out important mystical relics before a mysterious antagonist who totally isn't the queen's court wizard and his cronies find them first.

Episodic, with an over-arching plot over the course of a season. Takes standard D&D adventures and turns them on their nose. The evil dragon that kidnapped the town virgin is actually said virgin's secret lover. The blatantly evil court wizard turns out to have very good reasons to want the queen dead. Yada yada yada
>>
File: cant quick save during battle.jpg (171 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
cant quick save during battle.jpg
171 KB, 1680x1050
>>77657576
I want this

>>77657570
>>77657578
this is the one most likely to happen
>>
File: beholder-01.jpg (100 KB, 550x791) Image search: [Google]
beholder-01.jpg
100 KB, 550x791
>>77657570
>>77657702
>>77657704
>>77657744
If there are no Beholders in it than I will have no reason to watch.
>>
>>77657774
They talk about one before every adventure because magic lore shit tied to it is the way to solve their problem. the solution was eachoth met the whole time
>>
File: 1193893106235.jpg (42 KB, 704x400) Image search: [Google]
1193893106235.jpg
42 KB, 704x400
>>77657702
>the Hispanic fighter is dressed exactly like a spanish conquistador who speaks effusively about vanquishing savages whenever they face orcs or something
>white boy nerd wizard is a loser but is always correctly predicts the best way to solve the problem of the episode but the rest of the team only gets around to it like fifteen minutes after he figures it out
>girl cleric is unironically christian because, duh, cleric
>black guy is friends with wizard and uptight because uncle tom
>female elven archer is a very conventionally hot blonde haired blue eyed aryan
>Drizzt acts like a complete horndog who hits on the conquistadora

It'll be huge.
>>
>>77657527
How I'd do it is I'd have one character for each class. There would be two or three groups with different motivations, which would represent party groups.

Mercenaries: Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, Bard

Royal Envoy: Wizard, Cleric, Monk, Paladin

Adventurers: Fighter, Sorcerer, Druid, (Insert obscure class here)

The Adventurers are either dead or lost by the time the story begins and the Royal Envoy was sent out to discover what happened to them. The Mercenaries are sent out by an opposing force to hinder their efforts and are lead to believe that their motives are justified.

It turns out that the Adventurers discovered secrets-that-should-have-remained-hidden© and caused them to hire the Mercenaries and oppose the ignorant Royal Envoy.
>>
File: 1388296304017.jpg (78 KB, 627x480) Image search: [Google]
1388296304017.jpg
78 KB, 627x480
>>
>>77657527
Gotta have the classic 5 Man Band trope for the main characters. It's just how you make a good D&D party.

>The Leader: Charismatic and level-headed Paladin, walks around in heavy armor and wields a magic sword, devote worshiper of a god. Probably a big guy, for you, who is also black for contrast with his shining armor.

>The Lancer: In this case quite literally a lancer, a skilled Fighter with a grizzly past. Prefers to fight with a lance from horseback, but he often finds himself taking out a short sword and shield. He is the foil to the Paladin; a snarker and a pessimist who worships no god(atheism is not a thing in D&D, since there's actually irrefutable proof that gods exist in that universe).

>The Smart Guy: A Wizard of course! This guy's actually quite young to be a Wizard, and he has a slight inferiority complex since he's not respected by his peers for that reason. Starts off struggling to cast spells properly, but by the end of the series he's practically a demigod of magic.

>The Big Guy: Picture Korgoth as a half-orc. That is all.

>The Chick: An elf alchemist who may or may not be completely insane. Imagine if the Medic was an elf girl, he lived in medieval times, and he knew how to make magic potions. The fact that she serves as the party's healer is more of a consequence of her experiments than an intended result. The healing is not as rewarding as the hurting.

Plot would probably be reminiscent of a few adventure paths from official D&D things, but not quite the same as any to keep things interesting.

First few episodes would be about establishing setting and lore. DEEPEST LORE. Also an origin story for how the party got together. Eventually turns toward them facing some greater evil that threatens all of the mortal realms.
>>
>>77657542
>The staff is entirely Idea Guys who never get passed the planning stage because they're too lazy to do any real work. Eventually one determined neckbeard rushes to do everything just before the deadline while /tg/ pats themselves on the back about they get shit done.

>The end result is about a thousand different underdeveloped and contradictory ideas crammed together and the show mostly focuses on info-dumping about muh lore rather than making a compelling narrative.

>The handful of people who watch it only really experience the show by hitting the mute button and jerking off to all the monster girls with big tits.

>The show is canned half way through the first season for going way over budget.
>>
>>77657899
oh yeah and the goblin has a huge schnoz who is overly concerned with acquiring and keeping vast amounts of gold
but he has a southern accent
>>
>>77657972
That's /tg/ for ya.
>>
>itt: boring non-stereotypical shit that children would never watch and would get cancelled half a season in
>>
>>77657972
i feel like people trying to write a 24-episode series with interconnective plotlines and lore-related subplots would do well to use flowcharts in their storyboard meetings

do people use flowcharts with their storyboards?
>>
>>77657527

>RL
>quest
>rival group larps, is dweebish
>>
>>77658133
Fell's Five might work.
It's pretty 'stereotypical'.
Just pander to a younger audience and throw in a few adult jokes on the side.
>>
File: 1422320797796.jpg (77 KB, 525x438) Image search: [Google]
1422320797796.jpg
77 KB, 525x438
Make the elves the the primal enemy and annihilate them.
>>
File: Morphinominal.png (395 KB, 460x461) Image search: [Google]
Morphinominal.png
395 KB, 460x461
Play a full session.
Write down any and all notable events.
Write and animate said events and air on on national television air waves.
As the show airs, continue with another session.
Repeat until syndication.
>>
It'd be a harmless villain of the week action/adventure series.
It would star a freelancer, an archer, a warrior, and a magician. The freelancer is the mandatory brown-haired relatable character. The archer is the girl. The warrior is the jock/secretly a gentle giant, and the magician is the nerd/straightman.
The humor would come from characters with unusual race/class combos, ridiculous spells, and/or the animated equivalent of someone rolling a critical fail or succeeding so hard that they still manage to fuck everything up.

Season 1: The party goes on a quest to stop a dragon. There's a dark mage who frequently shows up as a comic relief villain. Midway into the season a rival party is introduced. They're just trying to 1up the heroes and they don't realize the fate of the world is at stake. The rival party disbands in the end and the dark mage's fuckery saves the day.

Season 2: A demon portal opens up in a city. The party has to go on a quest to find the city and kill the demon king because that will somehow close the portal. A female rogue joins the party.

Season 3: An evil priest or a knight does something involving crystals to upset the balance of the world so the party needs to do shit nobody cares about to fix the crystals and restore balance. The archer discovers she's the last of an extinct race of super-mages.

Season 4: A villain from season 1 drank an evil God Power potion and the party must find the several macguffins of God Power +1 to defeat him. During the final battle the freelancer finally decides a class, and it's a Class Ex Machina.
>>
>>77658422
Eh, it'd be palatable, or at least something to laugh at.
>>
>>77657938
TV Tropes go away. A main character group almost never is actually composed of those five.

The entire page is horrible attempts to shoehorn casts into those roles.
>>
>>77657527
>>77657602
Is it bad that I'd immediately thought "Hey It's Hiram McDaniels, Hey!"
>>
Adventures in an enchanted piss forest with golden piss trees as far as the eye can see.
>>
>>77658733
So /b/?
>>
>>77657744
this is the one i want but the one least likely to happen

unless cartoon network or whoever greenlit gravity falls gets their hands on it. which is not remotely unlikely, come to think of it.
>>
File: AndSoEndsMySummerCharlieBrown.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
AndSoEndsMySummerCharlieBrown.gif
371 KB, 500x375
>>77657972
>mostly focuses on info-dumping about muh lore rather than making a compelling narrative.
It never ends.
>>
File: 9yUdo86EOoJULHZEh8pXGafAqqv.jpg (206 KB, 1374x768) Image search: [Google]
9yUdo86EOoJULHZEh8pXGafAqqv.jpg
206 KB, 1374x768
>>77657527
Kinda like this, but with 11 minute episodes so it doesn't drag on too much. RL stuff is live action, campaign stuff is animated, Super Mario Bros. Super Show style. Vin Diesel as the Dungeon Master (you know he would).
>>
>>77657527
I SUMMON DRAGON MASTER KNIGHT
>>
>>77657527
Good writers.
>>
File: 5gd.png (419 KB, 386x563) Image search: [Google]
5gd.png
419 KB, 386x563
>>77659502
You posted the wrong card, bitch.
>>
>>77657527
Make it about people playing D&D
>>
File: Castle_roodpart.jpg (49 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Castle_roodpart.jpg
49 KB, 720x540
>>77657527
Basically this.
>>
>>77659579
>>77659502

He's summoning dragon master to slay the five headed.
>>
File: 1361273719489.png (25 KB, 743x382) Image search: [Google]
1361273719489.png
25 KB, 743x382
>>77657527
>memes and referential humour
>>
File: NFRS.png (69 KB, 914x755) Image search: [Google]
NFRS.png
69 KB, 914x755
Take Sword Art Online, but make Klein the protagonist you start with to introduce the world. Each episode is an anthology, but with a myth arc developing in the background as characters begin to pop up in other tales. For example, you might see a wanted poster in a tavern one episode, and later on in the season follow a bounty hunter searching for said criminal. A blacksmith perspective episode could have the original MC buy some armor using a recent plunder.
Over the course of the show you either directly or indirectly see the beginning character go from novice to legendary warrior, and build up a party of varying backgrounds.
>>
File: Record of Lodoss War2.jpg (356 KB, 1072x1251) Image search: [Google]
Record of Lodoss War2.jpg
356 KB, 1072x1251
>>77657527
Japan already did it.
>>
File: 1434865636178.png (442 KB, 498x713) Image search: [Google]
1434865636178.png
442 KB, 498x713
>>77659815
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 481x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 481x480
>>77659983
Reminds me of that comedy anime where a group of people are trapped in a magical world trying to return to our world... Except that they have heavy weaponry and martial arts making them OP as fuck.
>>
>>77659983
Favorite anime of all time.
>>
I liked that movie that came out in 2000, but idk how well it would stand up if I watched it not as an 11 year old.
>>
>>77657651
This is probably the most clear example I can think of where "focus groups" ruined a cartoon.

The whole idea that the shield guy HAD to come up with an opposing view in every episode and he HAD to be wrong every time in order to promote the notion that kids should always follow the group instead of listening to an outlier, which thinking back now is a batshit retarded ideology to push on children.

I think the DVD commentary talks about some dumbass censorship complaints they got too.
>>
>>77660526
It was planned for him to be right in the end... But the show was canceled before that. They made a comic though.
>>
>>77660277
>I liked that movie that came out in 2000

Worth a re-watch for Jeremy Irons and absolutely nothing else.
>>
File: scorbydu.jpg (13 KB, 338x405) Image search: [Google]
scorbydu.jpg
13 KB, 338x405
>>77657899
>Cartoon is tumblr on the outside and /pol/ on the inside

You absolute mad man
>>
>>77657972
You forgot
>Abuse of epic fedora tiping memes
>Abuse of le lewd X-DDD (every episode must have tits and fetishery)
>Generally reddit-tier jokes
>>
>>77657527
Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbuRlRbK5E
>>
>>77660915
this is perfect
>>
>>77657527
You guys have no idea on how this is massively popular on Brazil.

Hell, its the only place where it got so popular, they still aored it on 2014.
>>
>>77657704
Motherfucker, isn't that just the Dofus cartoon with a D&D paint job?
>>
>>77660955
>everyone has fond memories of this show
>except me

I don't fucking get it, it was boring as shit. The unicorn and the kid were annoying, all that the mage guy did was fuck everything up, nobody listened to the shield guy and all the other character were boring.
>>
>>77660915
I really wish there was more of this
>>
Animated /tg/ stories
>>
>>77660991
Is it? Shit. I thought I had an original idea
>>
>>77657527
I wouldn't
>>
>>77658733
>as far as the eye can see.
It's actually "as far as the eye can pee"
>>
It would split between cartoon fantasy and live action with the people playing it, who would get into fights and it would be like Darth & Droids.
>>
>>77657527
Hiram McDaniels?
>>
>>77662665
Someone should do a Darth and Droids with Korra, and make the sjhow better.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.